Praise your dog

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
This thread is for appreciating our canine friends. You can tell us why your dog is the best doggy, ever. If you want to praise other pets, start your own thread...

My dog is a Wheaten terrier. I wasn't even a doglover until we got him. I am more of a catperson, but this little bastard made me to love him.

He is the best dog because he almost never barks (I hate barking dogs), he doesn't shed, he is funky looking (long coat), funny and has a loving personality. You should see when he greats us when we come home.

He get along with other dogs at the dogpark wonderfully. There were some dogs with social issues, and my dog made them more social. He has a therapeutic effect...Now in the snow he looks like a Got milk? commercial with snow on his beard.

He knows a few tricks and loves water. He is still a puppy (1 year old) and when he sits, he looks like a toydog. Otherwise he looks like a little bear.

Who doesn't like a Teddy bear? :)

Your turn...

P.S.: Mine looks like Bailey on this website:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/softcoatedwheatenterrierphotos3.htm

Bram saved my life, and I did everything I could to save his when he developed renal failure at 3 1/2. Five vets all gave him one month to live: I kept him going happy and pain free, romping along the beaches, till age 5. Until uncontrollable seizures did him in 4/3/2003: RIP.

How did he save your life and what kind of breed was he?

This is my dog Lefty. He's a rat terrier and is named for a Townes van Zandt song (Pancho and Lefty---Pancho was a fish and died long ago).

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...iendID=119848700&albumID=0&imageID=1293773747

Well, he currently resides in Galveston with my parents (on the beach) because he can't handle the snow in Columbus. Also I work long hours and he has a better standard of living in Texas.

Lefty is great because he is intelligent and learns quickly. And because he listens---if I set a plate of food on the floor and tell him to stay, and then leave the room, hell be right where I left him when I come back. Lefty was awesome when he was a puppy because chicks dig small furry animals. Lots of female attention as a puppy has made him even better, because now he seeks out women in a crowd.

Its a shame that there are so many people out there that abuse their animals or ignore them completely when the animals have so much to offer. I have always lived with dogs, and probably always will. It saddens me though watching shows like Animal Cops where people starve their pets to death.

Keep focusing. Why don't you tell us a few good stories about your dogs?

Are there any that are free? I know I've seen this advertised as trial versions for digital camera uploads. Can you recommend one?

He loves catfood, but I was told, that has too much protein in it for dogs. Probably this is the reason he loves catshit too, smelling the protein in it.

He also like human food, so dogfood is really the last result for him. For training purposes catfood or cereal works good. Otherwise we feed him dry puppy food.

imageshack.us is free

Thanks a lot. I'm uploading some pics right now. I have hundreds to share, but I just don't have the time to scan them all in. Here we go, although I have no idea how this will post:

bram01nk3.jpg

"Bram of L'Anse aux Meadows" He was everyone's friend, no one disliked him, gentle as can be: the perfect canine companion. Bram saved my life because he knew that I was going to die - he could sense it - and he forced me to hang on against all adversity. He allowed me to live, and when he developed renal failure at 3 1/2 years of age, I did everything I could to save his life too. All five vets gave him one month to live and suggested I put him to sleep. I was shocked. No way! He was still happy, pain-free, and enjoying life. I dived into to studying the biology of kidney failure, joined support groups with vets, gave him blood tests every 3 weeks, adjusted his meds and diet accordingly, used subcutaneous hydration techniques, lots of TLC, and kept him happy, alive and painfree till he finally succumbed to 3 seizures in a row over a year-and-a-half later. Iwas heartbroken. I could do nothing. He died in my arms with his eyes wide open staring me in the face: a sight I will never forget. My heart sinks in distress and I am overcome with emotions everytime I think of it.

After Bram passed away, my friends saw how distraught I was and even gave me two puppies to help get over it. "Tian Ming," a Border Collie, and "Shi Ba," a Shi Ba Inu, are two dogs that I co-own today but had to leave in China because they had no papers to import them back to the U.S. Aside from that, it still took me three more years before I could pull myself together to get another Elkhound. My new girl is Kodi. Also a Norwegian Elkhound. I'll upload a picture of her later.

Regarding dog food, I am very particular about what I feed my dogs. Bram, because of his kidney failure, was fed a hand-tailored diet consisting mostly of either rice or noodles and whatever I could think of that would give it taste and the proper nutrition. This was essential because the normal amount of phosphorous contained in commercial dog foods would have given him seizures and killed him.

Most commercial dogfoods found at Wal-Mart, Target, and K-Mart, such as Purina, Ol'Roy and Science Diet contain too much corn meal, color dyes, and preservatives like BHT for me to feel comfortable with. I take the advice of my musher friends up in Canada and use Eagle Pack. Eagle Pack has a special Power Formula that mushers like to use because it's so high in protein, clean and natural. Kodi, however, is not quite so active. She's a gentle shy little girl and we go for a walk and run together everyday in the forest for about half an hour. Elkhounds are also generally prone to weight gain, so I have to watch out for that and restrict what she eats somewhat. She gets either one of their Holistic Formulas (Anchovy-Sardines, Lamb Meal-Rice, Duck Meal-Oatmeal), or, if I think she's starting to gain weight I'll get her a bag of the Adult Reduced Fat Formula. Whenever I buy dog food I'm fanatical when it comes to reading the ingredients - and that goes for my own food as well - but I'm very confident with Eagle Pack.

I'll try to upload more pictures later this week of Bram, Kodi, Tian-Ming, Shi Ba, and my other dogs. Got some nice pics of grizzly bears, moose, foxes and beavers from Alaska too, and also of the occasional bull elks that show up in my backyard early in the morning.:)

Last edited:
bram2zb8.jpg

"Bram of L'Anse" Oh, How everybody loved him. He's travelled all over the world: from Newfoundland, Labrodar, Nova Scotia and Quebec twice; to British Columbia, The Yukon, and Alaska three times; and then eventually to China, where he now rests in peace underneath a shade tree aside a small pond near the beach. We even wrote a song about him whil driving down the AlCan Highway:

"Bram--bo--Puppy...Norwegian Elkhound through-and-through.
And if it weren't for Brambo Puppy, there'd be no Alaskan Highway too.

For he came from Arizona, travelled up through Dawson Way.
Went up-down Yukon Mntns.
Brambo Puppy all the way.

And if it weren't for Brambo Puppy, there'd be no Alaskan Highway through..."

We sung up about 50 different choruses that could make a pop hit - never written down till right now.:)

Grizzly Bears and Black Bears in the Yukon near Kluane National Park and Reserve - my favorite stomping grounds:

bears01ba5.jpg

That's all for now. Gotta get back to work.

That's how a Wheaton puppy looks like:

A big ball of fur... By the way they don't shed...

Bella 8 and Trixie 11, they are tiny Yorkshire Terriers and are fantastic to have around the house. Bella loves to lick our feet and does a lot of housework as well. Trixie loves to eat and isn't a bad cook either. They take us for walks every day and get quite cross if we're too lazy to go and refuse to make us tea on those days.

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/16/img0346kl8.jpg

one of my old puppies, alice, she was about the only pet we've ever had that i could call my pet. she was a jack russell terrier and was 2 when she was run over on the main road

I used to like the neighbor's dog, a border terrier. It was a tiny little thing, but would go for long walks with me in the woods. It once stood up to a huge Irish Setter that used to intimidate us.

My own dog was lame, a border collie (stray), he never wanted to walk with me, just run off and come back covered in cow poop. In all fairness, border collies need a working environment and don't make good housepets.

Back