Post a new slang word/phrase

Woke

adjective, Slang. (often used in the phrase stay woke)
2. actively aware of systemic injustices and prejudices, especially those related to civil and human rights: In light of recent incidents of police brutality, it’s important to stay woke.

Just heard on CNN when talking about Flynn requesting immunity

Lawyer explaining to reporter made a slip of the tongue? saying ' Flynn would give testerphoney '

I think English gained a new word

:)

Just heard on CNN when talking about Flynn requesting immunity

Lawyer explaining to reporter made a slip of the tongue? saying ' Flynn would give testerphoney '

I think English gained a new word

:)
Sure the lawyer wasn't just describing the Big O? Did you perhaps mishear "testosterophony"?

fargroovadelic
(from a fellow veteran who took a degree in english and went off to teach english in Japan circa 1972)

from
far out
groovy
psychedelic

Why is Ebonics new?
It's not--it just has a name now.

White people and black people had their own dialects, going back to the colonial days when the first slaves were brought here.

The word "Ebonics" is already out of vogue. The term that supplanted it is African-American vernacular English. It has been so widely accepted in academia that the abbreviation "AAVE" is now in use.

I was being sarcastic, of course. I mean, that's me, right?

I grew up in the deep south, so I spoke in the AAVE dialect as well as proper English. I don't say American English, because at the time the folks with a good education spoke something closer to British English than was spoken up east.

English has devolved, sadly.

"Go hard" is a well-worn phrase in my country, most often "go hard, bro" is meant to mean "give it all you got", say. This could be in reference to a rugby game, a drinking game, in fact almost anything at all. However, I've never heard it in reference to sex or cherchez la femme.

And I've heard the phrase "going well hard", on Brit TV shows, like Little Britain. Whence: "to go well hard on it", with the same vernacular, again this could be in reference to almost anything, including a bong.

That's a strange one. Any idea where it comes from and how it may have arisen?

Apparently according to urban dictionary, ''ham'' is an acronym for ''hard as (a) mother-effer'' ...so ''going ham'' means you're going to put someone in their place. lol! You should say it a few times here and there, and see if anyone pauses and asks you what are you talking about? :D

Apparently according to urban dictionary, ''ham'' is an acronym for ''hard as (a) mother-effer'' ...so ''going ham'' means you're going to put someone in their place. lol! You should say it a few times here and there, and see if anyone pauses and asks you what are you talking about? :D
Someone said that, earlier in the thread, and I replied it did not sound like your style.

Beer w Straw maybe, but not Wegs. :biggrin:

"Go hard" is a well-worn phrase in my country, most often "go hard, bro" is meant to mean "give it all you got", say. This could be in reference to a rugby game, a drinking game, in fact almost anything at all. However, I've never heard it in reference to sex or cherchez la femme.

And I've heard the phrase "going well hard", on Brit TV shows, like Little Britain. Whence: "to go well hard on it", with the same vernacular, again this could be in reference to almost anything, including a bong.
That seems to be strictly British usage. I've never encountered it on this side of the Whaleroad.

Back