Placenta Eaters

No, no vegetarian. Not much of a meat eater though. Are you telling me the prospect of eating that doesnt make you feel sick to your stomach ? ;)

you've obviously never seen tripe, liver, testicles or brain in the raw. ;)

yummy!

Do whales eat the placenta????
Or does it just slowly float down.
Who wants to get hit with a falling placenta?

Do whales eat the placenta????
Or does it just slowly float down.
Who wants to get hit with a falling placenta?

I found this, but i dont know how reliable it is:

"Humans are one of the few species of mammals who don't eat their placentas after birth. Seals, walrusses, whales and camels also do not. Even herbivorous mammals do this. There are studies that show that eating part or all of the placenta after birth slows down or stops post partum bleeding and significantly reduces post natal depression. In addition it contains a great deal of nurtrition that would otherwise be lost to the mother."
http://thegreenman.net.au/mt/archives/001043.html

thank you enmos!
Its what I was wondering all along. (I'm gonna assume dolphins/porpises don't either)

I have heard of incidents of rubbing the baby or the mothers breasts with placenta in some communities in India; I am unaware of the reasoning behind it though.

I have heard of incidents of rubbing the baby or the mothers breasts with placenta in some communities in India; I am unaware of the reasoning behind it though.

it revitilises the skin after birth! many women who have children, they're skin goes dry and flaky and it is said that if you rub them with the placenta the skin will becomme its usual consistency

it revitilises the skin after birth! many women who have children, they're skin goes dry and flaky and it is said that if you rub them with the placenta the skin will becomme its usual consistency

Hmm im wondering if that would work with just blood.

i dont know i have never tried it and seeing that i cant just walk into my corner shop and say "can i have a LB of fresh plcenta please" or "can i have a pint of your freshes blood please" i dont think i'll find out

Elizabeth Bathory certainly thought it did.

After her death, rumors spread about how she'd actually bathed in the blood of her young victims. Everitt states quite emphatically, but without substantiation, that she had girls butchered so she could try out her beauty treatment. He attributed it to a preoccupation with eternal youth, and other authors have followed suit.

One enduring legend is that Erzsébet had slapped a servant girl one day, got blood on her hand, and after washing it off found that it made her skin look younger. Alchemists apparently assured her that this was a sign of her nobility, so to restore her waning beauty, she made a practice of bathing in virginal blood. These ideas were suggested in 1795 by Wagener, when he (as translated by Sabine Baring-Gould) wrote: "Elizabeth was wont to dress well in order to please her husband, and she spent half the day over her toilet. On one occasion, a lady's-maid saw something wrong in her head-dress, and as a recompense for observing it, received such a severe box on the ears that the blood gushed from her nose, and spurted on to her mistress's face. When the blood drops were washed off her face, her skin appeared much more beautiful—whiter and more transparent on the spots where the blood had been."

Apparently, "Elizabeth formed the resolution to bathe her face and her whole body in human blood so as to enhance her beauty." Her accomplices, he said, would catch the blood in a tub so that Erzsébet could "bathe at the hour of four in the morning. After the bath she appeared more beautiful than before."

No official account mentions this bizarre behavior or fetish, and it's more likely that she simply experienced a sexual thrill from seeing blood and/or used the blood for her rituals and ceremonies. Nevertheless, if the ledger with 650 names is what many believe it is, then no single person in the centuries to come surpassed her victim toll.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/bathory/9.html

This thread title sounds like an insult.
"You no good, dirty, placenta eater!"​
or
"He had a placenta-eating grin on his face".​

Last edited:
I found this, but i dont know how reliable it is:

"Humans are one of the few species of mammals who don't eat their placentas after birth. Seals, walrusses, whales and camels also do not. Even herbivorous mammals do this. There are studies that show that eating part or all of the placenta after birth slows down or stops post partum bleeding and significantly reduces post natal depression. In addition it contains a great deal of nurtrition that would otherwise be lost to the mother."
http://thegreenman.net.au/mt/archives/001043.html

They left out duck billed platypuses.
The point that herbivorous animals do it shows that it is not eaten as a food but for some other purpose.
Why should camels be an exception?

Last edited:
They left out duck billed platypuses.
Well yes, but i assumed we were talking about placentals. Otherwise whats the point ? Marsupials are as much mammals as monotremes and they dont eat their placentas either, they just resorb them.

Class Mammalia
...Subclass Prototheria (Monotremes)
...Subclass Theria (Live-bearing mammals)
......Infraclass Metatheria (Marsupials)
......Infraclass Eutheria (Placentals)

The point that herbivorous animals do it shows that it is not eaten as a food but for some other purpose.
Yep.

Why should camels be an exception?
Camels, like marsupials, resorb the placenta. I dont know why that is though.

--------------------

More detailed, in the Class Mammalia the exceptions to placentophagy are:
the suborder Caniformia (Walrusses, Sea lions, Eared seals, Fur seals and True seals) in the order Carnivora,
the order Cetacea (Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises),
the genus Camelus (Camels) in the order Artiodactyla,
the order Monotremata (Monotremes) and
the infraclass Marsupialia (Marsupials).

Back