Philosophy rather than religion.

Religious experience is not simply a moral philosophy. At the core, many religions are able to grant psychological feelings of self-value, which is probably the primary psychological value for conscious healthy people. (Unfortunately this often comes at the expense of the value of those on the 'opposing' teams). Also there are metaphysical possibilities to at least consider, such as salvation for souls, answered prayers, etc etc. Also ritual, and community need more than an acceptance of the golden rule, at least so it seems, although humanism could certainly become a powerful 'religion' in a world where people treated each other badly enough that it stood out, and became an alternative social group. In that case, could they take the cow as their symbol, in that they are willing to be exploited, as has been suggested? Also, Jesus didn't say "turn the other cheek until it becomes uncomfortable and then fight back," so this part of Christian philosophy (seldom applied in modern Christianity anyway), is quite radical.
Very interesting questions involved here far beyond simply morality.

Ps regarding science - As always, true science has no philosophy, but rather a set of functional rules. When people attach philosophies to science and thereby create a false credential for their philosophy they are making a big mistake. I suppose one philosophy, truth is good and falsehood bad, could be attached, but that is it. Even dependence on empirical evidence is a functional rule, not a philosophy. The extension of that rule into philosophy, is something I personally have a problem with due to what I perceive is inconsistent application, I.e. that empiricists can take unproven ideas into account when dealing with relationships, for example, but not in dealing with philosophy and religion.

@ Seattle and all,

Regarding OP.

Who is to say prayer does not work. I think there is ample evidence to support prayer power, however only those who know how to research and read will find it as I am not handing out links and eyewitness testimony.

So maybe this new found philosophical government will function to a poorer degree.

I think threads like this, that are presumptuous in their outlook, would be better left in the minds of the ignorant people penning them.

Also ...

Let's pretend a philosophical society existed. Would people behave the same if they knew no consequences would occur in an afterlife? The idea itself is flawed.

@ Seattle and all,

Regarding OP.

Who is to say prayer does not work. I think there is ample evidence to support prayer power, however only those who know how to research and read will find it as I am not handing out links and eyewitness testimony.

So maybe this new found philosophical government will function to a poorer degree.

I think threads like this, that are presumptuous in their outlook, would be better left in the minds of the ignorant people penning them.

Also ...

Let's pretend a philosophical society existed. Would people behave the same if they knew no consequences would occur in an afterlife? The idea itself is flawed.

We are not talking about "prayer power". We are talking about whether prayers are answered by a god.

Prayer power in the form of a placebo effect is not what is at issue.

Most people do act as if there is no afterlife...suicide bombers excluded of course.

There are two sides of the brain, with each processing data in different ways. The left is the rational and differential side of the brain, whereas the right side is more intuitive/emotional and integral. As an example, if we went to a foreign country, the right brain would notice the commonality of the people, since it attempts to integrate the visual data. The left brain will see differences since it attempts to differentiate. Normally we do both at the same time with the two overlapping.

Philosophy is more left brain and therefore can't fully take into account the data processes of the right brain. If it could there would be only one philosophy instead of dozens of differential orientations. One would need an esoteric philosophy which brings in intuitive perception, but that would violate pure left brain logic which attempts to remain rational/differential. Religion does better with the right brain, but is weaker with the left brain. If the goal is half a brain we would pick one or the other. While picking both requires one getting used to how the two sides of the brain need different system to become fully conscious.

Faith is an intuitive perception using the right brain that often appears before the idea fully differentiates. The inventor gets a right brain hunch or gut feeling. He goes to the lab and uses the left brain to differentiate.

Most people try to maximize this life.

That in no way precludes a concern for the "afterlife."

If you go East, traditionally, people would try to "maximize" this life precisely for the purpose that their next life would be better.

Back