Philosophy rather than religion.

Says who?

Some schools in traditional Buddhism, for example, can do precisely that: they offer a philosophy that is applicable 24/7.

And is less applicable, has more grey areas.

You're the one who started this thread, proposing to have a solution. So you tell us.

:shrug:

I presented a solution. You just don't like it :) I'm not an expert on Buddhism (but perhaps you are) but I don't see that solution working 24/7 either. It may say to always be peaceful but as was pointed out unless everyone else is peaceful it doesn't work all the time either. If Buddhism works under all circumstances so too do the principals I brought up.

I presented a solution. You just don't like it

Bah. It's not that I don't like it. It has a major hole in it, and I pointed that out.

I'm not an expert on Buddhism (but perhaps you are) but I don't see that solution working 24/7 either. It may say to always be peaceful but as was pointed out unless everyone else is peaceful it doesn't work all the time either. If Buddhism works under all circumstances so too do the principals I brought up.

Like you said: you're not an expert on Buddhism.

I can't do your homework for you.

:shrug:

I'm not in class or trying to practice Buddhism. If you don't know it well enough to give an answer that's no problem. The religious threads go this way as well with one side not being able to articulate their own points without reverting to a game of 21 questions :)

It's simply too much to explain in one post.
In short, the Four Sublime Attitudes provide an outlook and practice that is applicable in all situations, all the time, without leaving one vulnerable.
A good source of readings is Access To Insight.

I'm not in class or trying to practice Buddhism. If you don't know it well enough to give an answer that's no problem. The religious threads go this way as well with one side not being able to articulate their own points without reverting to a game of 21 questions

Given the confidence with which you speak out against religion, I expected that you are thoroughly knowledgeable of everything that all the religions of the world have to offer, down to every chapter and every verse of every scripture.

Heh, apparently, you aren't.

Given the confidence with which you speak out against religion, I expected that you are thoroughly knowledgeable of everything that all the religions of the world have to offer, down to every chapter and every verse of every scripture.

As are you, Sir No True Scotsman?

Heh, apparently, you aren't.

I'm of the side that can say "I don't know" :) However, it is possible to express my opinion on this subject without reading every "scripture" that the religions of the world have on offer. You haven't (possibly) done that either.

If a religion is starting from the premise of a supernatural being then all my comments still apply. That's why my objection starts with the lack of evidence for the supernatural. Unless that objection is taken care of it doesn't matter which chants, parables, or instructions a particular religion involves.

I'm of the side that can say "I don't know" :) However, it is possible to express my opinion on this subject without reading every "scripture" that the religions of the world have on offer. You haven't (possibly) done that either.

If a religion is starting from the premise of a supernatural being then all my comments still apply. That's why my objection starts with the lack of evidence for the supernatural. Unless that objection is taken care of it doesn't matter which chants, parables, or instructions a particular religion involves.

As long as you refuse to look into issues of "evidence" and "reality," and instead work out of implicit notions of what they are, never clarifying the numerous problems surrounding them ...

Philosophy of science is the hangman of science ...

As long as you refuse to look into issues of "evidence" and "reality," and instead work out of implicit notions of what they are, never clarifying the numerous problems surrounding them ...

Philosophy of science is the hangman of science ...

The "problems" of reality come from the supernatural side as does the issue of "evidence". The concept of "evidence" loses all meaning once you enter the supernatural world.

Again, the reference to the "supernatural" is all yours.

I'm talking about the philosophy of science.

Again, the reference to the "supernatural" is all yours.

I'm talking about the philosophy of science.

What's your beef with science? Is it just that it doesn't confirm to the Bible? You don't like the tool that science provides to gain more knowledge?

Faith is where the non-lemmings go for knowledge?

What's your beef with science? Is it just that it doesn't confirm to the Bible? You don't like the tool that science provides to gain more knowledge?

Faith is where the non-lemmings go for knowledge?

I'm not going to defend things you merely imagine I said.

And you suggesting that the Bible is some kind of authority to me ... that's really lame, dude.

Read this and get back to me.

Back