Now reading (The Book Thread)

Elements Volume 1(probably won't finish for a while though; I've been doing a lot of essays for school lately)

Hey I have seen the series and the Movie...should I read the book, is it any better?

the book is way better than the movie. though i do not know about the series. :) its a pretty quick read. and in my opinion is worth the time it will take. the first time i read the first book i read it in a day.

'Marvellous Escapes From Peril: As Told by Survivors' fascinating book published about 1915-20. First-hand accounts of 1) Pelee eruption 1902 (the escape of the Roddam) 2) Battle of Ulundi, 1879 3) Midair rescue of a steeplejack, 1909 4)The battle for Rangoon 5) Chicago Fire, 1871 6) The First Ironclad Fight 7) The Defence of the Lucknow Residency 1857 8) The Storming of Canton 9) Cholera in London 10) London Under Arms 1835 11) The Fall of Theebaw 12)The World's First Railway 13) Britain's worst mine disaster 14) The Johnstown Dam Burst 15) Indian Fighting 16) The Ashanti War 17) The loss of the La Bourgogne 18) The Bombardment of Acre 19) The Paris Bazaar Fire, 1902 20) The Dale Dyke Damburst 21) San Francisco Earthquake 1906 22) Defence of Mafeking 23) Rescuing survivors from shipwreck

1) The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
2) Blink - Malcolm Gladwell
3) The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell

Recently finished: Pushkin's full collection of works, Tolstoy's "Childhood," "Boyhood," "Youth," and Diderot's "Rameau's Nephew."

Currently reading: Italian folktales selected and translated by Italo Calvino.

1) The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
2) Blink - Malcolm Gladwell
3) The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell

Weird. I just read those in nearly the same order a few months ago. Good books, all.

I'm working on "Mayflower", "Descartes' Error", and a lecture series on Mozart's Operas.

Dawkins is too religiously obsessed with christianity for me.
Reading "Lavondyss" by Robert Holdstock again, one of my favourite books.

reading catch 22,didnt like it so much for the first half but its getting better.

Karen Armstrong, Islam: A Short History.

I've had it for a while and never finished reading it. The primary text is only about 180 pages, and it strikes me that it is really hard to compress Islam into "a short history". But she is, after all, Karen Armstrong; few, if any, do such things better. Highly recommended.

"Wonders of the Natural Mind: The Essence of Dzogchen in the Native Bon Tradition of Tibet" by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche
Foreword by the Dalai Lama

im actual not reading any books at the moment. but i am reading a magazine :)

martial arts illustrated vol 19 no 11.

it does have stories in the book and some very good infomation. i enjoy the indigenous martial arts column most, this months is about "singlestick" the old uk stickfighting tradition fascinating stuff.

tickets for seni 07 ar availible now from ticketmaster get yours if you live near london, its held in the excel arena near docklands, 19th 20th of may!

peace.

im actual not reading any books at the moment. but i am reading a magazine :)

martial arts illustrated vol 19 no 11.

it does have stories in the book and some very good infomation. i enjoy the indigenous martial arts column most, this months is about "singlestick" the old uk stickfighting tradition fascinating stuff.

tickets for seni 07 ar availible now from ticketmaster get yours if you live near london, its held in the excel arena near docklands, 19th 20th of may!

peace.

This e-journal has quite a few interesting articles(though I haven't seen anything about Baranta yet) in it, if you enjoy MA literature.

"Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Retrospect and prospect"

http://books.google.com/books?id=H8...ooks&btnG=Search&sa=X&oi=print&ct=result&cd=1

liu1_6.jpg

The story of extermination of Japanese culture using nuclear bombs by USA.

The burning and evaporating bodies of children, men, and women.

And, prospects to employ this nuclear force in the future.

A Briefer History of Time - Hawking & Mlodinow
War of the World - Niall Ferguson
Weighing the Soul - Len Fisher
OKB Sukhoi - Yefim Gordon et al
Soviet X-planes - Bill Gunston & Yefim Gordon
and about to start on the complete works of Shakespeare.

To only name a few:

1) Fahrenheit 451
2) Magic Time Trilogy
3) Downsiders
4) Feeders
5) Memoirs of a Geisha
6) Ellen Foster
7) I Never Promised You A Rose Garden
8) Dean Koontz books
9) Ninteen Eighty-Four
10) Jane Eyre
11) Anne Rice's books