Now reading (The Book Thread)

Please feel sorry for me all you wish. Books, I hate for some reason. There are some books, that without doubt can cast you into hatred.

On page 50 or so of Richard Dawkin's Climbing Mount Improbable. So far a good book. Richard is so good at talking about zoology. I'm on the chapter about spiders. So interesting how they work. It's amazing to learn about how they build webs. And yet spiders build webs through their impossibly complex ways constantly throughout the world. His books are frickin' awesome.

Finished The lady in the lake by Raymond Chandler, now reading The little sister.

Next, The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

America Libre, by Raul Ramos y Sanchez.

Author's synopsis:

Time: the second decade of the 21st century
As the immigration crisis reaches the boiling point, once-peaceful Latino protests explode into rioting. Cities across the nation are in flames. Anglo vigilantes bent on revenge launch drive-by shootings in the barrios, wantonly killing young and old. Exploiting the turmoil, a congressional demagogue succeeds in passing legislation that transforms the nation’s teeming inner-city barrios into walled-off Quarantine Zones. In this chaotic landscape, Manolo Suarez is struggling to provide for his family. Under the spell of a beautiful Latina radical, the former U.S. Army Ranger eventually finds himself questioning his loyalty to his wife—and his country.

see RaulRamos.com

The link includes the first chapter.

• • •​

I'm torn. It's a fine story, but written in a voice I've never done well, and thus am wary of. That I see some of the problems I have with my own voice in the narrative is confusing; I don't know whether to be reassured that I've been too exacting, or affirmed that there's something amiss about the narrative voice.

The book has been picked up by Grand Central, the former Warner Books. I'm thinking this could lead to bigger things, like a movie. And that, folks, will be a hell of a show.

America Libre, by Raul Ramos y Sanchez.

Author's synopsis:

The link includes the first chapter.

• • •​

I'm torn. It's a fine story, but written in a voice I've never done well, and thus am wary of. That I see some of the problems I have with my own voice in the narrative is confusing; I don't know whether to be reassured that I've been too exacting, or affirmed that there's something amiss about the narrative voice.

The book has been picked up by Grand Central, the former Warner Books. I'm thinking this could lead to bigger things, like a movie. And that, folks, will be a hell of a show.

Wait...are you, Paul Ramos Sanchez? The pics in his bio don't look like you. If you are not the author, why does your post make it sound as if it is:confused:

If it is you, then fucking well done!

I am reading Franz Kafka's 'The proces' again.
I am a total Kafka admirer!
The way he plays with reality and fiction is magic!
Everybody: read Kafka

and Oh tanks Avatar I am going to read the Book Of Tea...I know the book but never red it and I am addicted to tea!
Thanks for reminding me!

"The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova,

Has anyone read this? it rocks I laid it down the other night at the end of a scary chapter and I actually kept waking during the night thinking there was a vampire in the room. This is not my usual fare as I prefer history but it's a fantastic vampire yarn.

Sporting Body, Sporting Mind. An Athlete's Guide to Mental Training by John Syer and Christopher Connolly.

The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. I've decided to read as many Pulitzer winners as possible.

Pity the nation By Robert Fisk.

Although i didn't get through his last book, this one seems to be slightly more interesting.

American Gods and Anansi Boys, both by Neil Gaiman.

Lucky you. Anansi Boys is a far easier read, but both are great. I love Neil Gaiman even though he's hard work sometimes, but he has a knack of making the impossible quite believable.

Yeah Gaiman is a master storyteller. Enjoy his work

atm i'm reading Kingdom By The Sea - Paul Theroux

I have read some of Theroux' more exotic works about afrika, asia and south-america, and I was interested in how he would portray Britain, which isn't all that exotic :)
So far I'm not dissapointed. It's a funny book full of sharp observations en some good insights, even though the subject-matter doesn't interest me as much as his other, more exotic, books

Currently reading War & Peace for the 5th time, a book everyone should read at least once before they suffle of this mortal coil. It's a hard slog but there are some passages that have some profound and insightful thoughts.

1603:The Death of Queen Elizabeth I, the Return of the Black Plague, the Rise of Shakespeare, Piracy, Witchcraft and the Birth of the Stuart Era, Christopher Lee.

The Illuminator, Brenda Rickman Vantrease

Back