Not an issue of morality - gay marriage, prostitution, etc

scott3x said:
I think it helped some, but what is needed is enough people to make something deemed to be immoral illegal. When -that- happens, things really get moving.

But, Scott, those laws to free the slaves in the south happened about 1865 after the Civil War. Those laws were in effect for some 100 years ...with the blacks in the south being treated as second- or third-class citizens. 100 years those morals and laws were in place and in effective.

See? Morals NOR the laws ...bullshit on pieces of paper.... did any good at all for the blacks of the south ...for some 100 years!! It was ONLY when the armed National Guards were sent in that the REAL freedoms began.

See how ineffective morals and laws are ...WITHOUT... enforcement?

Ofcourse. I never said laws could be effective without law enforcement. There's more to the story, ofcourse. As Frank Herbert said in one of his dune books:
Good government never depends upon laws, but upon the personal qualities of those who govern. The machinery of government is always subordinate to the will of those who administer that machinery. The most important element of government, therefore, is the method of choosing leaders.

And another quote from one of his dune books, that I brought up in a thread on concerning the hypocracy of our drug laws:
Law always chooses sides on the basis of enforcement power. Morality and legal niceties have little to do with it when the real question is: Who has the clout?

I think his wording isn't 100% correct. I -definitely- agree that the law is based on who has the clout and the enforcement power. -However-, democracies have some power of making sure that the people with the clout/enforcement power have to morals that don't deviate too far from what we might call the average morals of the population as a whole; leaders who are too immoral generally don't last too long, especially in a country where democratic values are deeply enshrined. Some, in order to avoid the possibility of dictatorships, mandate that leaders can only be in power for, say, 8 years ;-). There are those who would argue that presidents are puppets, but I would counter that that analogy only goes so far; a president has the -potential- to be more then a puppet. Whether eir exercises that power and what the consequences might be for eir are other matters.

Baron Max said:
scott3x said:
Fortunately, people are -generally- allowed to dissent with laws they deem to be immoral. ...

I think most protestors join those protests because their buddies do or they hope to meet someone of the opp sex and get laid! People are soon going to start protesting that there's too many protests.

People are generally idiots or worse ...and depending on a bunch of 'em in a protest to actually know what the fuck they're all about is giving them far too much credit. I remember one news reporter, covering a protest of some kind, and he asked a group of people what it was all about .....and they didn't have a fuckin' clue!! They even said that they were just having fun.

The fact that -some- people join protests just to have fun or to shake their fist at the proverbial 'powers that be' doesn't mean that all or even most of them are similarly unfocused as to the reasons for their being there.

Baron Max said:
And people want to depend on such people, such protestors, to change the course of their government or nation's policies????

I don't know about 'people'. I saw a large protest in Canada, where I live, concerning the restrictions on marijuana use. I joined in for a while, just walking along, until they got to a park; I stayed a while, picking up a button saying 'cops for marijuana' or something to that effect, read a bit about it, and then left. Tomorrow there's a rally concerning people on social assistance; I'm on social assistance so I may go. Then again, I may not. I personally believe more in narrowcasting; that is, focusing what I'd like to say more on a few individuals then chanting x, y or z thing, as a general rule. Ofcourse, Canada is a relatively peaceful country; I might feel differently if I lived elsewhere.

Baron Max said:
Morals are like farts in the wind without enforcement.

I see them a bit differently; morals are in essence ideas or memes, something that can be tested out against reality and can grow and grow and eventually settle into law. So instead of the expression you used, I prefer the idea of the butterfly effect; the discussions that take place everywhere may seem like silly little things, but upon closer examination and when taking into account how memes move so quickly, one can soon come to the conclusion that discussions can ultimately have quite profound effects indeed.

Originally Posted by visceral_instinct
Wrong. Murder or rape, for example, are still wrong whether you have the power to punish someone for it.

In your opinion. Murder and rape being wrong are your opinion, not fact.

By -my- definition of murder and rape, I believe that they are, in fact, wrong. Ofcourse, people have different definitions for words, which tends to make things more complicated.

To avoid confusion:
Murder, for me, is when someone kills someone else for unjustified reasons.

Rape is harder still, but generally involves the unwilling penetration or atleast the insertion of a sexual organ into something. Where it gets dicey are things like police cavity searches; there is a very fine line between doing a thorough search and doing something else as well. As a general rule, I think the problem would be eliminated if our drug laws weren't so restrictive.

Prove to me that a painting is beautiful. That is comparable to proving that murder is wrong.

Prove to me that a painting is beautiful. That is comparable to proving that murder is wrong.

Since we've spent so much time on the issue of facts, I wikid it. Apparently, I made the mistake of believing that truth and fact were synonymous. They're not. Here's it's definition:

A fact is a pragmatic truth, a statement that can, at least in theory, be checked and either confirmed or denied. Facts are often contrasted with opinions and beliefs, statements which are held to be true, but are not amenable to pragmatic confirmation or denial.

I like the way they hedge with their 'at least in theory', but I personally never meant to imply that I could -prove- to you that murder the way I define it is wrong. Maybe I could (in theory), but now we're dealing with maybes and I never wanted to go there.

So let me rephrase: I believe that the truth is that murder, the way I define it, is wrong. Whether or not I can ever prove it to you is another matter entirely.

And if that society has no enforcement of the morals, then people like Norsefire can do anything they want without fear of reprisal. Thus, the morals mean nothing in and of themselves.

Most moral choices should be available without fear of reprisal. Only when those choices harm others should they be regulated and even then criminalizing them should be a last resort.

Baron Max said:
And if that society has no enforcement of the morals, then people like Norsefire can do anything they want without fear of reprisal. Thus, the morals mean nothing in and of themselves.

Most moral choices should be available without fear of reprisal. Only when those choices harm others should they be regulated and even then criminalizing them should be a last resort.

I think the current system works relatively well, with exceptions concerning sexuality and certain drugs.

Morals would fit in with "opinions" however. I really don't think this is debatable. Do you think beauty is an opinion?

Morals would fit in with "opinions" however.

First, I'll define opinion, from wiki:
An opinion is a belief that may or may not be backed up with evidence, but which cannot be proved with that evidence.

I certainly can agree that morals can be based on opinions, although I don't believe that they necessarily fall into this category. The important thing, however, is that if enough people agree on a moral, it can become enshrined in law, complete with law enforcement. At that point, it carries a lot more weight then a mere opinion.

Laws are based on opinions, however; we can make a law that blue must be your favorite color and if not, you are jailed.

That doesn't mean blue is the best.

Laws are based on opinions, however; we can make a law that blue must be your favorite color and if not, you are jailed.

That doesn't mean blue is the best.

I agree completely. I believe, however, that using the scientific method, we can arrive at relatively logical conclusions. As to your example, I don't think we really need to worry about what color is the best, I don't think it effects all that much. There are other laws, however, that can affect quite a bit, such as laws on sexuality.

scott3x said:
I think the current system works relatively well, with exceptions concerning sexuality and certain drugs.

That's like saying "you are perfectly healthy except for those two gaping holes in your chest."

Laugh :). I don't think it's -that- bad.. yet. but there's definitely room for improvement :). We better get on this environment thing though, or else the 'two gaping holes' analogy may come to be painfully true.

Wrong. Murder or rape, for example, are still wrong whether you have the power to punish someone for it.

Osama bin Laden didn't think murder was wrong. And in fact, he made a video tape celebrating that murder and carnage.
So ....what's "wrong"? And who decides?

Baron Max

In your opinion. Murder and rape being wrong are your opinion, not fact.

Hmmmm I believe her point is that having or lacking the power to punish doesn't determine whether murder or rape are wrong.

scott3x said:

I think the current system "works" about 3% as well as needed.

Needed for what? I contend that it works relatively well in western countries, as opposed to many third world countries, which is why immigrants tend to come to western countries, not the other way around.

Laugh :). I don't think it's -that- bad..

A significant amount of crime, prison population and corruption is driven by drug prohibition. Not just here, but in countries the world over.

"According to the American Corrections Association, the average daily cost per state prison inmate per day in the US is $67.55. State prisons held 253,300 inmates for drug offenses in 2005. That means states spent approximately $17,110,415 per day to imprison drug offenders, or $6,245,301,475 per year."

Source: American Correctional Association, 2006 Directory of Adult and Juvenile Correctional Departments, Institutions, Agencies and Probation and Parole Authorities, 67th Edition (Alexandria, VA: ACA, 2006), p. 16; Sabol, William J., PhD, and West, Heather C., Bureau of Justice Statistics, Prisoners in 2007 (Washington, DC: US Department of Justice, December 2008), NCJ224280, p. 21, Appendix Table 10.

Add about 95,000 federal prisoners that's 348,000 people in for drug offenses.

"The United States has the highest prison population rate in the world, some 738 per 100,000 of the national population, followed by Russia (611), St Kitts & Nevis (547), U.S. Virgin Is. (521), Turkmenistan (c.489), Belize (487), Cuba (c.487), Palau (478), British Virgin Is. (464), Bermuda (463), Bahamas (462), Cayman Is. (453), American Samoa (446), Belarus (426) and Dominica (419).
"However, more than three fifths of countries (61%) have rates below 150 per 100,000."

Source: Walmsley, Roy, "World Prison Population List (Seventh Edition)" (London, England: International Centre for Prison Studies, 2007), p. 1

The land of the "free" is the most incarcerated nation in the world. When does it count as "that bad?"

Back