New UK Bullying Law

A government-agreed definition of domestic violence already exists. This describes it as ‘any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual financial or emotional) between adults who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality’.

Sounds like the definition is already adequate (to me) but the problem lies in the willingness of the Judicial system to explore and pursue it.

A government-agreed definition of domestic violence already exists. This describes it as ‘any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual financial or emotional) between adults who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality’.

Sounds like the definition is already adequate (to me) but the problem lies in the willingness of the Judicial system to explore and pursue it.

Exactly. So it seems this proposal will redefine some aspects of the legislation and overhaul it with a clear definition of psychological and emotional abuse being added in for good measure.

Exactly. So it seems this proposal will redefine some aspects of the legislation and overhaul it with a clear definition of psychological and emotional abuse being added in for good measure.

In which case I struggle to see it as a bad thing.

Pretty much..

A clearer definition can only lead to more effective application of the law, as the judges gain confidence in its usage.

If it's vague and waffly, nobody wants to be 'that judge' that hands down the sentence that is manifestly excessive (and demonstrably so), and brings the law before the appeal court, or even the privy council.

It's not always the best way to make your reputation.

Back