Nazi Food?

D'ster

Registered Senior Member
Row over Hitler-themed restaurant
Tuesday, 22 August 2006,

The Jewish community in the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay) is outraged by a new restaurant named after Adolf Hitler.

The restaurant, Hitler's Cross, opened last week in the city's outskirts, initially displaying a giant poster of Hitler at the entrance.

The owner says he will not change the name.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5275866.stm

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

(Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene II)

It's like if "The Producers" opened an eatery
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060821/od_nm/india_hitler_dc

'Hitler's Cross', which opened last week, serves up a wide range of continental fare and a big helping of controversy, thanks to a name the owners say they chose to stand out among hundreds of Mumbai eateries.

"We wanted to be different. This is one name that will stay in people's minds," owner Punit Shablok told Reuters.

"We are not promoting Hitler. But we want to tell people we are different in the way he was different."

"This signifies a severe lack of awareness of the agony of millions of Jews caused by one man," said Jonathan Solomon, chairman of the Indian Jewish Federation, the community's umbrella organization.

"We are going to stop this deification of Hitler," he said without elaborating.

The small restaurant, its interior done out in the Nazi colors of red, white and black, also has a lounge for smoking the exotic Indian water pipe or "hookah."

Posters line the road leading up to it, featuring a red swastika carved in the name of the eatery. One slogan reads: "From Small Bites to Mega Joys."

A huge portrait of a stern-looking Fuehrer greets visitors at the door. The cross in the restaurant's name refers to the swastika that symbolized the Nazi regime.

"This place is not about wars or crimes, but where people come to relax and enjoy a meal," said restaurant manager Fatima Kabani, adding that they were planning to turn the eatery's name into a brand with more branches in Mumbai.
D'ster, I still can't take you seriously, but at least this one's mildly hilarious. Well done.

How can every comedian be Jewish, and yet, as a people, none of them have a sense of humor?

swivel said:
How can every comedian be Jewish, and yet, as a people, none of them have a sense of humor?
Maybe it's the 'no one can make fun of us but us' principle?
(see also: 'No one can beat up my little sister but me.')

Maybe it's a middle eastern thing. Remember the Danish cartoons? Remember the Danish embassy? Better check that local Indian embassy is still standing...

What amuses me about this story is that Hitler is probably rolling over in his grave at the thought of such a restaurant (being what appears to be in homage to his very self) being opened in India. Nazis would scream in horror. This restaurant is not an insult so much to the Jews but to Nazis as a whole.

Now do you honestly think Hitler would be happy that someone named Punit Shablok was opening an eatery (and planning a chain) named after him? If I was the owner, not only would I have Hitler's image on the seat of each chair, knowing how well the very man would take having a bunch of coloured folks planting their arses on his face, but also on the toilet seats as well.. take the theme the whole way.

Personally I think it's hilarious.

I want to go to Bombay and eat at this place. It sounds glorious on all levels. And I shall heil! Heil! Right in der Fuhrer's face!

Anyone that gets offended by the name should re-examine their own beliefs. Words don't always imply intention.

I read this on another forum. It makes me seriously question the validity of humanity's existence. Racists and neonazis disgust me on so many levels.

Hapsburg:

You are a walking pile of contradictions. You are a nihilist in the ethical sphere, yet have a problem with people's behaviours.

Hapsburg said:
I read this on another forum. It makes me seriously question the validity of humanity's existence. Racists and neonazis disgust me on so many levels.

It's Mumbai; there are no racists or neo-nazis, just new ways of grabbing headlines in a very commercial, very multicultural, very tolerant and incredibly divine city. (I'm a Mumbaikar, I know :cool: ).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumbai_culture

Mumbai is known to be one of the most liberal and cosmopolitan cities of India, with the city embracing many concepts which would be taboo in other cities.

What ever happened to free speeech?

I mean, it is INDIA. Not Israel. So the whinings and bitchings of the microminority of Jewish immigrants is incidental. Suck it up, nancies. You don't like the restaurant's name? Then don't go there.

Whiny European Jews at it again. Won't they ever shut up?

It would be interesting to see what music this restaurant played in the background. The Horst Wessel? Deutchsland Erwache? Perhaps they should blast it out of the speakers into the neighbours, just to piss off the whiny Jews.

mountainhare said:
What ever happened to free speeech?

I mean, it is INDIA. Not Israel. So the whinings and bitchings of the microminority of Jewish immigrants is incidental. Suck it up, nancies. You don't like the restaurant's name? Then don't go there.

Whiny European Jews at it again. Won't they ever shut up?

They immigrated in the 2nd century BCE to escape persecution from the Romans. Surely they can be considered Indians now? :D

http://www.shamash.org/lists/scj-faq/HTML/faq/13-09.html

Samcdkey:

They have a distinct religion, distinct culture, distinct practices...They are no more Indian than I am.

But I must agree with Mountainhare. The Jews are bitching again and it is sickening. Truly. They cannot stop whining and then wonder why they are hated.

samcdkey:
They immigrated in the 2nd century BCE to escape persecution from the Romans. Surely they can be considered Indians now
No, 'they' did not. Read your own damn link. Only the Bene Israelis immigrated during the 2nd century BC. The other three groups did not.

Also, I mentioned in my previous post that I was referring to European (aka. White) Jews.

Prince:
But I must agree with Mountainhare. The Jews are bitching again and it is sickening. Truly. They cannot stop whining and then wonder why they are hated.
I can imagine the Jewish chant (if they had one). These would be the first two lines:

"Boo, hoo, hoo,
I am a Jew, Jew, Jew"

Back