National Day of Prayer.....Prayer achieves nothing

Come on, the christian god masturbates as much as anyone else does. If he says he doesn't, he's a liar.

Adam I am with you on that one buddy.
And I completely understand what you are saying about the fact that people waste there time praying for things that will NEVER change.. I don't know what else to say on the subject, I don't know how more blunt any of us could have gotten.

TruthSeeker..
Man, why do you get so defensive? I mean really. Law, and respect for other people (if you have any) says that everyone is entitled to there own opinion. You freak when anyone says anything that you don't agree with.

I freak when people deny something that save lifes and is almost completly ignored by society...

Faith works... and I say it for own experience...

Love,
Nelson

Good argument Truthseeker: look at how big that 'not' is.
How do you verify the effects of a prayer? How can you rule out a naturalistic explanation or confirm the presence of something that does not lend itself to verification?

Voodoo Child,

One of the answers is: experience...
We don't have any other for now... but we might have soon...

Love,
Nelson

Seeing what you prayed for happening... mainly when the circumstances are completly opposite...

But how do I not know that there is not some unappreciated, completely material phenomenon that accounts for this prayer answer. If you are going to appeal to unknown forces to explain this, why should that force be divine? And if it is divine, how do you know it is not Satan who is answering it? Perhaps he wants to deceive you as to the true nature of God.

And what about prayers that aren't answered? For example the conspicious lack of supermodels in my bedroom.

I think prayer actually works to give yourself more confidence. When you pray for healing, your brain will think God is with you and will increase it's efforts to heal whatever injury you have. Kind of like "I think I can" vs "I know I can't".

I for one used to pray quite often and never 'experienced' anything supernatural. Sometimes what I prayed for happened, sometimes it didn't, so I now understand that praying made no difference at all and the times it seemed to work was just a coincidence with probability.

And then people say "Oh, you're just not praying right.", two problems with this. 1) they can never explain how to pray right, they just say if it's not working you're either asking for the wrong things or are doing something wrong. 2) Speaking with your creator should be one of the simplest tasks one can do. After all, what good is prayer if only 1 out of 100 people can actually get the message through?

Yet another example of a hole in the theory of religion.

I would say the same thing as George Carlin (mainly because I tried it out, as an experiment.....er yeah......an experiment!); I got the same success rate praying to God as I did for praying to Joe Pesci. And Praying to Joe was more fun.

Tyler: You mean, that routine where he is saying

"Okay, if there is a God, I pray that he will strike this audience dead!"

*Nothing happens*

"Okay, now I'm going to up the stakes: if there is a God, may he strike me dead!"

*Nothing happens*

"Well, there is no God"

Hey Nelson, how come God didn't answer either of the two heart-felt prayers I've ever made? Both were completly unselfish.

For my two front teeth back, Adamski.

One was for as many people as possible to survive on 11 September of this year, the other was for nonexistance when I was twelve. I remember both quite vividly.

Hmm, I have yet to ask the Great Cthulhu for anything, although I will recite his blasphemous liturgy before tests. :p

Voodoo Child,

But how do I not know that there is not some unappreciated, completely material phenomenon that accounts for this prayer answer. If you are going to appeal to unknown forces to explain this, why should that force be divine? And if it is divine, how do you know it is not Satan who is answering it? Perhaps he wants to deceive you as to the true nature of God.
Well... one thing that already happened with me was really interesting... I was waiting the bus with a friend (my ex-girlfriend...), it was a sunny day, end of April... then suddenly started to snow... :bugeye: :eek:

Really... snow here in the end of April is impossible... I surely interpretate this as a sign of agreement that God made with me and my friend... That He might create through us (and it IS really happening... :bugeye: :eek:)

That's a simple example...
There are lots more from many people...

About Satan... he won't do anything good for you...

About your request...
God won't give such thing for you...

Love,
Nelson

TS,

Really... snow here in the end of April is impossible... I surely interpretate this as a sign of agreement that God made with me and my friend

Oh puh-LEEZ. So if I pray that God delivers to me a pepperoni pizza, thats the sign of an agreement with me that I won't masturbate anymore?

C'mon TS, where's the evidence, huh? Why is an experience for you ( Read: Intangible, subjective perception of a particular event ) any more valid than the expereince Muslims have? Jews? Satanists?

About your request...
God won't give such thing for you...

And why the hell not? Do you suddenly speak for God? Mabye God will fulfill his request, except instead he'll send a giant rubber chicken who heaves pizzas that explode with such a force that it would injury you severely?

Eh?

God won't give me a pizza? What a wanker!

So let's see what Satan does:

"Satan! Give me a pizza! Please!"

*Waits*

Bastard, he put anchovies on it. :p

So, Nelson, how come God never answered my prayers?

No, no. He has a routine where he talks about Pesci and praying to Joe. It's quite funny!

Back