My letter to an Atheist

Alan:

Regarding the Big Bang Theory, what is your alternative? That the universe and its matter and energy arose from God, presumably. Well, where did God arise, and how does any of it prove that the "creative factor(s)" that led to the formation of the universe are sentient?

I do think that atheism takes some faith, because atheists reject a proposition that is fundamentally unprovable. That is a faith we all have. If I were to assert that there is a massless, invisible pixie the size of the Sun who lives somewhere in the universe, you would have no way of proving me wrong, but I think we'd both be surprised if you, I or anyone concluded that we should take the possibility seriously just because it is (at least presently) unfalsifiable. Atheists just see my fictional pixies and your God as equivalently unproven statements, and will make the very slightly overstated case that neither the pixie nor God exist. Slightly overstated, but no doubt the overstatement is evidence of the fact that the they (subjectively) believe the likelihood of there ever being proven wrong is exceedingly slim.

I am sure you do not believe in the pixie either, and you may well be an atheist with respect to Gods other than your own, so I strongly suspect this sort of faith that unproven/unprovable assertions are wrong until proven otherwise is one you embrace in a variety of contexts.

pavlosmarcos,
Firstly, he wasn't making a claim that God exists, he was merely stateing his belief in an intelligence behind the universe, which he believes is God.
Lol, and that's not claiming a god exist, how!
So as an atheist, you lack belief in God, not in claims or beliefs in God.
No! I have no reason to believe the claims of the theist. I do not say god/gods do/es not exist. I do not lack belief in god. I lack belief in your claims of such beings/creatures. Incidentally I don't even label myself atheist, atheist is a negative label applied to non-believers by the theist and from a theist perspective. I am a humanist. We are all born without any knowledge of god/gods (tabula raza) as that is the default position. theism only comes about via indoctrination.
Jan Ardena said:
His post is the best your going to get as far as a universal proof is concerned.
It is now up to you to give a better explanation of how this universe came into being, and how and why it so precisely maintained. And it the onus is on you to prove that your explanation is more valid than his.
How so I make no claims, the onus is all his. He has to prove his position not I. The burden of proof is on him. There is not an equal burden of proof on both sides. I simply do not believe his unsubstantiated claim. The only "claim" I make is not believing him.
Jan Ardena said:
That would make sense if the definition of atheism was, no belief in religion, as opposed to no belief in God. But it isn't.
However most Religions have a belief in a god. To all bar his, he has no belief.
Jan Ardena said:
Not these days mate.
It is a movement independant of theism.
It has gone beyond the word, hence why folks are calling for a different
description of "atheist".
Are they, a link or two would not go amiss.
Jan Ardena said:
Without belief in what?
God?
Yes.
The "a" prefix means without/non/ain't got no.
As in....
asexual=having no sex or sexual organs.(There's no sex or sexual organs. That's what the word means, it is simply the opposite to sexual.)
amoral=without moral quality; neither moral nor immoral.(There's no moral quality. That's what the word means, it is simply the opposite to moral.)
apolitical=not political; of no political significance.(There isn't any political significance. That's what the word means, it is simply the opposite to political.)
atypical=not typical; not conforming to the type.(There isn't any conformation to type. That's what the word means, it is simply the opposite to typical.)
asymmetric=not symmetrical.(There isn't any symmetry. That's what the word means, it is simply the opposite to symmetrical.)
atheist=not theist.(It simply means, the opposite to with god. )That's "IT". no other assumptions can be made from it.
Jan Ardena said:
If so I agree. However i'm inclined to think you left the object of
your lack of belief out on purpose
More goal-post shifting leverage?
Probably because as I said earlier I don't label myself with that theist's negative atheist label.

Have you ever thought that to be an absolute atheist takes more faith and is more difficult to rationalize than one like me who believes there is a creator?

I have no idea what an "absolute atheist" is, so I can't really answer that question. What I can tell you is that being an atheists requires no faith and no rationalization.

How could nothing evolve from nothing and become everything?

Have you ever seen *nothing*? Can you point out an instance of it? Probably not. There is no evidence that some entity called *nothing* (i.e. an absence of everything/anything) is real.

This logic demand that dark nothing morphed into everything, nothing created energy time matter and finally life out of inanimate energy. I see this as a ridiculous assumption;...

I really don't understand what you mean here. Can you paraphrase?

I am left to believe that all existence including mysterious life evolved without reason or purpose. Do you really believe this as a fact?

The reason life evolved was because of environmental pressure; however, there is no purpose behind it. To have a purpose requires another sapient life form to assign something purpose.

Let us consider, what life is, how could the unimaginable almost infinitely complex molecule DNA of life came into existence so quickly in relation to cosmological time.

The instruction set of DNA (amino acids) naturally occur in a variety of environments.

Life existed on the primordial earth just a moment after its creation, again in cosmological time?

Probably.

The universe is unimaginable complex and sustains itself by exact precise fundamental constants, if this harmony differed in the infinitesimal fraction we would simply not exist; indeed the earth itself would not exist.

Maybe; however, that doesn't address what would exist.

A billion trillion googolplex monkeys typing for eternity would not produce even one of Shakespeare sonnets.

It's kind of silly because monkeys cannot type for eternity. You will be lucky to get one to type for 30 seconds.

Another analogy, if we took a billion airplanes, filled them with water, concrete and bricks and dumped the whole continuously on the earth for a billion years, would it magically and randomly form the beautiful Taj Mahal or the Sydney Opera house?

It would produce a pile of rust.

But you insist I must accept the beautiful universe a of unimaginable precision came into existence this illogical way

If that's how you think the universe came into existence, then your science teachers to date should all be fired for gross incompetence.

When life needs to evolve due to changing circumstances, does it tell itself to alter its own DNA for the new conditions or could there be a watch maker resetting the watch

Niether. Every life form has small variations in it. When circumstances change, some of those variations are more beneficial than others and those whom have those variations are more likely to reproduce.

I see god adjusting the DNA overlooking his own experiment if you like

Ok.

Our breathtaking beautiful is expanding and anything that expands must have a beginning.

Incorrect. It would be correct to say that anything that expands likely has bounds.

Can you prove there is no god of course you can’t,...

Incorrect. I can demonstrate that any human claim of 'God' is false.

can I of course I can’t, but at least I can offer circumstantial evidence...

Ok.

Atheism is a faith belief system just like anything that requires belief without evidence.

Incorrect. Many atheists don't have a belief in 'God' due to evidence.

As an amateur astronomer leaves me with an unshakable belief that am awesome intellect created the universe and everything else

Ok.

Look out the sparking water that quenches your thirst, the fruit that feeds you, and invigorated your body. There is beauty everywhere and you must search for real ugliness. Go outside on a moonless night and reflect on the wonder of the cosmos that sparkles above you. The great snow capped mountains and streams, the blue sky and the rise of the sun at dawn and its golden glow as it sets.

In the early morning go and listen to the sounds of nature, birds chirping like tiny electrons in the mind of god. The wind that you breathe the precious nourishment supplied by mother earth.

Then explain to me how chance can bring this all about. To me there is a wonderful creative behind all this glory if only we would look at it.

At what point in history are you looking for that explanation?

Like all things the universe has a beginning and this demands a creator, for nothing can exist with a prime cause. The universe will end but for that we will just have to wait

"Beginning" means something achieves a stable construct. "End" means something loses that stability. In other words, everything that has a beginning was something else before that and everything that has an end becomes something else afterwards. There is no reason to think this doesn't apply to the universe.

Even atheism scientists say our universe is precise, ordered with beautiful mathematical constants. One great astronomer said the universe was less like a great well oiled machine and more like a beautiful ongoing thought

I believe in God, what you believe is your right but to me a godless creation is bleak and cold

And that's probably a big part of it for you. Believing in "God" makes you feel warm and fuzzy, so you continue your belief. In other words, you value how you feel more than truth.

A billion trillion googolplex monkeys typing for eternity would not produce even one of Shakespeare sonnets. Another analogy, if we took a billion airplanes, filled them with water, concrete and bricks and dumped the whole continuously on the earth for a billion years, would it magically and randomly form the beautiful Taj Mahal or the Sydney Opera house?
Another misconception. Evolution isn't chance. If a billion trillion googolplex monkeys typing happened on a correct letter, and that letter clicked in place, they could probably do the job in under a month. That's how evolution works, it doesn't just reward living things for the end product, it rewards them every tiny step of the way.

Dawkins then goes on to show that a process of cumulative selection can take far fewer steps to reach any given target. In Dawkins's words:

We again use our computer monkey, but with a crucial difference in its program. It again begins by choosing a random sequence of 28 letters, just as before ... it duplicates it repeatedly, but with a certain chance of random error – 'mutation' – in the copying. The computer examines the mutant nonsense phrases, the 'progeny' of the original phrase, and chooses the one which, however slightly, most resembles the target phrase, METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL.
By repeating the procedure, a randomly generated sequence of 28 letters and spaces will be gradually changed each generation. The sequences progress through each generation:

Generation 01: WDLTMNLT DTJBKWIRZREZLMQCO P [2]
Generation 02: WDLTMNLT DTJBSWIRZREZLMQCO P
Generation 10: MDLDMNLS ITJISWHRZREZ MECS P
Generation 20: MELDINLS IT ISWPRKE Z WECSEL
Generation 30: METHINGS IT ISWLIKE B WECSEL
Generation 40: METHINKS IT IS LIKE I WEASEL
Generation 43: METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
Dawkins continues:

The exact time taken by the computer to reach the target doesn't matter. If you want to know, it completed the whole exercise for me, the first time, while I was out to lunch. It took about half an hour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_program

Another misconception. Evolution isn't chance. If a billion trillion googolplex monkeys typing happened on a correct letter, and that letter clicked in place, they could probably do the job in under a month. That's how evolution works, it doesn't just reward living things for the end product, it rewards them every tiny step of the way.

Dawkins then goes on to show that a process of cumulative selection can take far fewer steps to reach any given target. In Dawkins's words:

We again use our computer monkey, but with a crucial difference in its program. It again begins by choosing a random sequence of 28 letters, just as before ... it duplicates it repeatedly, but with a certain chance of random error – 'mutation' – in the copying. The computer examines the mutant nonsense phrases, the 'progeny' of the original phrase, and chooses the one which, however slightly, most resembles the target phrase, METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL.
By repeating the procedure, a randomly generated sequence of 28 letters and spaces will be gradually changed each generation. The sequences progress through each generation:

Generation 01: WDLTMNLT DTJBKWIRZREZLMQCO P [2]
Generation 02: WDLTMNLT DTJBSWIRZREZLMQCO P
Generation 10: MDLDMNLS ITJISWHRZREZ MECS P
Generation 20: MELDINLS IT ISWPRKE Z WECSEL
Generation 30: METHINGS IT ISWLIKE B WECSEL
Generation 40: METHINKS IT IS LIKE I WEASEL
Generation 43: METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
Dawkins continues:

The exact time taken by the computer to reach the target doesn't matter. If you want to know, it completed the whole exercise for me, the first time, while I was out to lunch. It took about half an hour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_program

Dawking is a frustrated previous theist and when the idea of God would not fit comfortably into his idea of what god should be, he abandoned theism
and posted his fifty thousand objections on the door of his of his previous theistic friends

Dawking is a frustrated previous theist and when the idea of God would not fit comfortably into his idea of what god should be, he abandoned theism
and posted his fifty thousand objections on the door of his of his previous theistic friends

Anything to support this blind supposition?

Seriously, I'm sure even a confused theist such as yourself could do better...

Have you ever thought that to be an absolute atheist takes more faith and is more difficult to rationalize than one like me who believes there is a creator?
There are two different kinds of faith. One is reasoned faith. My wife has been reasonable, kind, loyal, and several other adjectives of similar nature, for more than thirty years, despite much of my own behavior which put all of those qualities to a destructive test. It is reasonable for me, based on all of this evidence, to have faith that she will continue to be this way for--well probably not thirty more years but until one of us dies.

The other is irrational faith. Belief in a supernatural universe whose denizens capriciously tamper with the workings of the natural universe is the most extraordinary kind of assertion, because it contradicts the fundamental premise of science: that the natural universe is a closed system (in laymen's terminology) whose behavior can be predicted by theories derived logically from empirical observation of its present and past behavior. The Rule of Laplace--one of the cornerstones of the scientific method which has been tested exhaustively for several hundred years and never come close to being falsified--tells us that an extraordinary assertion must be supported by extraordinary evidence before anyone is obliged to treat it with respect.

Yet in the half-millennium since religion lost its stranglehold on Western culture and we have been free to observe the universe objectively and submit our observations for peer review without being tortured or imprisoned for them, no one has found one shred of respectable evidence for the supernatural-universe hypothesis--much less any extraordinary evidence.

Therefore, to have faith in the existence of an invisible, illogical supernatural universe, creatures who dwell there, and their periodic meddling in our affairs, is irrational faith.

Really big difference.
How could nothing evolve from nothing and become everything?
You plead with us to take you seriously but you apparently are not familiar with the Laws of Thermodynamics. The Big Bang was nothing more or less than a local reversal of entropy, which the Second Law assures us is possible. Please do not continue to embarrass yourself.
This logic demand that dark nothing morphed into everything, nothing created energy time matter and finally life out of inanimate energy. I see this as a ridiculous assumption; I am left to believe that all existence including mysterious life evolved without reason or purpose. Do you really believe this as a fact?
"Reason" and "purpose" are human cultural constructs. The universe is indifferent to us. It operates according to its own natural laws. You should study them some time.

I know I promised to treat you with respect, but geeze, you sure make it hard. You are absolutely no scientist, and not much of a scholar either.
A billion trillion googolplex monkeys typing for eternity would not produce even one of Shakespeare sonnets.
Absolutely wrong. You are as poorly versed in probability theory as you are in macrocosmology. (And therefore you are probably an American, since my people seem to lack the enzyme to digest any calculation with really large numbers.) Given infinite time, anything with a non-zero probability may happen.
Another analogy, if we took a billion airplanes, filled them with water, concrete and bricks and dumped the whole continuously on the earth for a billion years, would it magically and randomly form the beautiful Taj Mahal or the Sydney Opera house? But you insist I must accept the beautiful universe a of unimaginable precision came into existence this illogical way.
Yes indeed, you are definitely an American. You casually equate "one billion" with "infinity." Please go back and study some advanced mathematics, in addition to the other assignments I have given you.
When life needs to evolve due to changing circumstances, does it tell itself to alter its own DNA for the new conditions or could there be a watch maker resetting the watch.
Neither. Many species become extinct without forming a clade of descendants. The fossil record is littered with them. It's just sheer luck--"probability" in the proper language of science--that occasionally the DNA of an individual mutates and proves to be a survival advantage, and through natural selection or genetic drift a small population with that mutation survives to breed, and eventually after several iterations of this lucky process a new species appears that can survive conditions that its ancestor could not. Meanwhile a much larger number of other less well-adapted species die off.

There is no "purpose" or "design" in this. It is simply the Law of Averages working over an extremely long time span, so long that most Americans are incapable of comprehending it. Perhaps it's a genetic weakness in our people and we will eventually become extinct because of it--specifically because it makes us completely stooopid when it comes to risk analysis.
Can you prove there is no god of course you can’t, can I of course I can’t, but at least I can offer circumstantial evidence.
So far you indeed have not. Your reasoning is fallacious, based on a complete failure to understand some of the key principles of science.
Atheism is a faith belief system just like anything that requires belief without evidence.
Extraordinary assertions require extraordinary evidence. Belief in the supernatural is extraordinary and therefore, with no evidence at all, is irrational faith. Belief in the supremacy of the natural universe is consistent with a huge volume of evidence (our consistent and continuing ability to figure out natural laws that govern its behavior with no supernatural meddling) and is therefore a rational faith.
Look out the sparking water that quenches your thirst, the fruit that feeds you, and invigorated your body. There is beauty everywhere and you must search for real ugliness. Go outside on a moonless night and reflect on the wonder of the cosmos that sparkles above you. The great snow capped mountains and streams, the blue sky and the rise of the sun at dawn and its golden glow as it sets. In the early morning go and listen to the sounds of nature, birds chirping like tiny electrons in the mind of god. The wind that you breathe the precious nourishment supplied by mother earth.
Ah yes, you take me back to the "logic" of the 1960s, although back then we just referred to it as an "acid trip." "Wow man, there are butterflies and rainbows! There must a god fer sure, dude!"
Then explain to me how chance can bring this all about.
It's very difficult to explain something determined by chance to a person who has no comprehension of probability, extremely large numbers, or statistics. Sorry. You're asking me to do something that your professors, apparently, were not able to do with considerably more time.
Like all things the universe has a beginning and this demands a creator . . . .
As I pointed out in several other threads, this is the classic disingenuous argument that consigns creationist arguments to the "Bullshit" pile. The universe is everything that exists. Any creator must clearly exist, therefore he is part of the universe. So where the holy hell did he come from??? Who created him?

Though he began having doubts about the existence of God when he [Richard Dawkins] was about nine years old, he was persuaded by the argument from design, an argument for the existence of God or a creator based on perceived evidence of order, purpose, or design in nature. By his mid-teens, he had instead concluded that the theory of evolution was a better explanation for life's complexity, and became nonreligious. {wiki}

Spam, spam, spam, spam. Spam, spam, spam, spam.

Jan Ardena said:

That's quite a post Mr. McDougall.
Well done.

It is also spam, Mr. Ardena:

mcdougallspam.png

However most Religions have a belief in a god.
The American Heritage dictionary defines "religion" as: Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe. Dictionary.com defines it as: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. [Bold face mine.] In most lay or scholarly discourse, "religion" implies at least one god.

People often refer to Buddhism as a religion. But I think they do this because they don't realize that Buddhism has no gods, not because they think a religion doesn't need to have one.

When I was a student to engineering college, I had a very good friend.He believed in God, I do not.
We go to college toward campus and we had a discussion about God.
It was intro late afternoon, at sunset.We continued talking in a park.He was a very logical and I almost managed to convince him.
I do not ever forget.With tears in his eyes told me:
"If I would not be sure, there is someone who sees that I am good, I do not want to hurt anyone and who takes care of me then I would kill myself"
From that moment I decided never to try to convince a believer only for the sake of conversation.
To assert"God does not exist" can not.Asserting a negation can not.Only by reduction to absurdity.Which in this case can not be applied, in my opinion.(Are not only two possibilities which eliminate each other).
So I do not believe in the arguments of those who believe.But I also do not believe in evolutionism.
I simply do not know who created everything.
Are several theories (not theorem), but neither could convince me.

pavlosmarcos,

Lol, and that's not claiming a god exist, how!

Erm, to claim that God exists is to say that it is true that God exists, regardles of proof or evidence.
To believe that God exists is to accept that it is true, in light of the point that there is, or more impotantly there cannot be, any definative proof or evidence that all can agree upon.

So as an atheist, you lack belief in God, not in claims or beliefs in God.

No! I have no reason to believe the claims of the theist. I do not say god/gods do/es not exist. I do not lack belief in god. I lack belief in your claims of such beings/creatures.

Here's how Alan McDougall summed up his letter...

..I believe in God, what you believe is your right but to me a godless creation is bleak and cold

You have placed yourself in a precaruous position (on this thread anyway)
I myself, have not made any claim to God's existence in this or any other thread. So what exactly are you talking about?

We are all born without any knowledge of god/gods (tabula raza) as that is the default position. theism only comes about via indoctrination.

What constitutes knowledge of God?
And how do you know we are born without such knowledge.
Note, you have made a claim, so please back it up.

jan said:
It is now up to you to give a better explanation of how this universe came into being, and how and why it so precisely maintained. And it the onus is on you to prove that your explanation is more valid than his.

How so I make no claims, the onus is all his.

Surprise! Surprise! :rolleyes:

He has to prove his position not I. The burden of proof is on him. There is not an equal burden of proof on both sides.

As I said before, he has given an explanation as to why he believes God exists. Now counter it. Explain why his explanation is not valid, and please give an explanation of your own so WE can counter it.
If all you're good for
is to stand at the back and throw unsupported cliches around, then what's the point of you taking part in this discussion.

I simply do not believe his unsubstantiated claim. The only "claim" I make is not believing him.

The only claim he has made is; "i believe in God"?
Are you serioiusly telling us that you don't believe him, and that his claim is unsubtantiated?

However most Religions have a belief in a god.
To all bar his, he has no belief.

:confused:

Are they, a link or two would not go amiss.

There's no need for a link, it's neither here nor there.
But you expressed something earlier which I translate as an
uneasiness with the term "atheist", and have found the sentiment to be common amongst some proponents of your cult.

palvosmarcos said:
...atheist is a negative label applied to non-believers by the theist and from a theist perspective...

jan said:
If so I agree. However i'm inclined to think you left the object of
your lack of belief out on purpose
More goal-post shifting leverage?

Probably because as I said earlier I don't label myself with that theist's negative atheist label.

Hmmm, so by your logic "asexual" is a label made by those who have
sex, or those who have sexual organs.
Interesting.

jan.

jan said:
That's quite a post Mr. McDougall.
Well done.
The usual muddle of oblivious ignorance and immature incomprehension regarding ordinary physical phenomana, not to mention basic, high school level probability and statistics;

marinated in willful denial of evolutionary theory and similar slightly more sophisticated concepts;

and topped with unbelievably arrogant, violence provoking presumptions of other people's better informed opinions and beliefs.

Nothing new in it. The exact same arguments were standard in the halls of religious power and the media reps of its political beneficiaries a hundred years ago. They were bs then, and subsequent developments in human understanding of the physical world have made them truly bizarre and ornate anachronisms.

emil said:
From that moment I decided never to try to convince a believer only for the sake of conversation.
How about for the sake of self defense?

We are not talking about changing anyone's mind, so much as introducing them to the circumstances of reality in which their beliefs are expected to behave themselves, fit in if not without friction at least peaceably.

People with serious emotional investment in such nonsense have in the past proven to be unpredictable dangers to themselves and everyone around them. The world does not cut slack for delusions of that consequence, and its believers are going to be, inevitably, frustrated in their fantasies and projections, often by far less friendly and amenable circumstances than a conversation over coffee. What will this frustration lead them to do?
emil said:
But I also do not believe in evolutionism.
You might start by dropping the word "evolutionism", a coinage that does little but mislead. Evolutionary theory, like other theories, is not an ideology or creed that requires belief in this sense. It is not something that anyone "believes in", in any event.

Last edited:
How about for the sake of self defense?

We are not talking about changing anyone's mind, so much as introducing them to the circumstances of reality in which their beliefs are expected to behave themselves, fit in if not without friction at least peaceably.

People with serious emotional investment in such nonsense have in the past proven to be unpredictable dangers to themselves and everyone around them. The world does not cut slack for delusions of that consequence, and its believers are going to be, inevitably, frustrated in their fantasies and projections, often by far less friendly and amenable circumstances than a conversation over coffee. What will this frustration lead them to do?

Yes,you are right.We are not allowed let the Bible become law.
Faith for believers is an axiom.Is beyond logic.Do not think you succeed they give up an axiom.

jan said:
Be that as it may, the content of the post is poignant, and raises
some points worth discussing
No it doesn't. Every one of its "points" has been beat into the dirt and shoveled over, decades ago. They are garbage, intellectually - a waste of everyone's time in live discussion. They are of historical interest only, as "points".

No it doesn't. Every one of its "points" has been beat into the dirt and shoveled over, decades ago. They are garbage, intellectually - a waste of everyone's time in live discussion. They are of historical interest only, as "points".

Then it should be no problem for you to counter his points, and
explain why you have come to your conclusions.

jan.

Back