Most Accurate Bible

The more lexicographically accurate translations omit much of the poetic structure and metaphor and reference so forth. Hence they lose much of the meaning and implication. A little less accuracy in the exact wording might often increase the accuracy of communication of the original meaning.

this is an excellent point, so on that note i would go with the schocken series. originally undertaken by martin buber and ??? in german, but a more recent effort in english by everett fox is available (torah only). these preserve the poetic qualities and, at times, are quite repetitious and redundant. it reads as though it were a transcription of that which was originally transmitted orally.

The Bible is missing many books that are mentioned in the OT. So none of them are perfect.

Peace be unto you ;)

Oh its the "how to get everything you want even after death" tutorial book,sold many copies :)
Yes there are many versions,the difference between the new and old is that new ones may have the same goal but have better excuses.
KJV yay.

I want to know which version of Snow White is the most accurate, the German or Albania version!?

(Who cares, it's all a fairy tale anyway).

I want to know which version of Snow White is the most accurate, the German or Albania version!?

(Who cares, it's all a fairy tale anyway).

I care which is more accurate.
Regardless of whether it is true, it is history.
Many billions of people have believed it and it has shaped our cultures and world, for better or worse.
I find that not only interesting, but compelling.

I care which is more accurate.
Regardless of whether it is true, it is history.
Many billions of people have believed it and it has shaped our cultures and world, for better or worse.
I find that not only interesting, but compelling.

It's one book out of millions that have shaped our cultures and world, and probably one of the most historically inaccurate books at that.

My point is that debating on the legitimacy and accuracy of the bible is no different than debating on the legitimacy and accuracy of Snow White, Cinderella, Pinnochio, The Quran, or any other fictional work.

Sure, it's a part of history. Unfortunately, a big part! But as much stock that people have bought in this book over the 2000 years, it doesn't change the fact that there is little scientific evidence to back up 99% of the claims in the book. So, why bother?

I'm not saying to be ignorant of it, but I nevertheless see no need to focus on it when there are a billion more important things to be discussing and learning about.

On the linguistic side, what I don't understand is why we have so many different versions and translations in the first place.

Do you remember that game that some of you played in school where you whisper something in one ear, they repeat it and way down the line the original phrase has been completely discombobulated and represents NOTHING of the original phrase? The bible is a lot like that.

Most of the versions we have available today are copies of copies of copies copies of copies etc and along the line, the errors and mistranslations have surely accumulated and transformed what was the original text into a completely unrecognizable and unrelated new book.

Compare even an original Gutenberg to the KJV. So many differences that no one could ever be sure which is right, if any.

It's one book out of millions that have shaped our cultures and world, and probably one of the most historically inaccurate books at that.
And I find many of them fascinating - if not for the book itself, for the impact they HAVE had.
I study religions with an eye toward anthropology, mostly.
I am not religious and do not believe in any cognizant creator God at all, but I plan on majoring in it once I get my ass into school.

My point is that debating on the legitimacy and accuracy of the bible is no different than debating on the legitimacy and accuracy of Snow White, Cinderella, Pinnochio, The Quran, or any other fictional work.
I can do that for hours on end, as well - but, as you are aware, Cinderella hasn't had quite the impact that The Bible has had.

Sure, it's a part of history. Unfortunately, a big part! But as much stock that people have bought in this book over the 2000 years, it doesn't change the fact that there is little scientific evidence to back up 99% of the claims in the book.
I think you'd be surprised, if that "99%" wasn't gross hyperbole.

So, why bother?
Because it is endlessly fascinating to me.
You can't learn anything about God through man's eyes, but you can learn a lot about man through God's eyes.

I'm not saying to be ignorant of it, but I nevertheless see no need to focus on it when there are a billion more important things to be discussing and learning about.
Then why are you wasting your time discussing it?
Seems rather silly to me.
Or do you feel compelled somehow?

On the linguistic side, what I don't understand is why we have so many different versions and translations in the first place.
I have a bit of an understanding, and if I have my way, I will spend the rest of my life continuing to explore just that.

Do you remember that game that some of you played in school where you whisper something in one ear, they repeat it and way down the line the original phrase has been completely discombobulated and represents NOTHING of the original phrase? The bible is a lot like that.
Yes. It is called Chinese Whisper. Take a look at the little tag under my username.

Most of the versions we have available today are copies of copies of copies copies of copies etc and along the line, the errors and mistranslations have surely accumulated and transformed what was the original text into a completely unrecognizable and unrelated new book.
Errors, mistranslations AND purposeful manipulation.
It's fantastic.
Think about how much you can learn about a people based on what version of The Bible they followed, what they changed in it and why.
I like to detangle oher religious texts and practices in the same manner.

Compare even an original Gutenberg to the KJV. So many differences that no one could ever be sure which is right, if any.
The most comples puzzle man ever assembled.
I love to solve puzzles! Don't you?

He means accuracy in translation from the original texts to English. That's what just about anyone means when they say "accurate Bible".
But you already knew that, so stop being so facetious.

I'm not. You've shifted the focus, but the central issue remains. There is no definative text. There are a number of texts which disagree with each other, sometimes significantly. Much of these have been purged and sanitized over the ages, but as archeologists dig up more works from the period, it becomes obvious that there can be no actual accuracy. It was made up, and by different people with different agendas.

And I find many of them fascinating - if not for the book itself, for the impact they HAVE had.
I study religions with an eye toward anthropology, mostly.
I am not religious and do not believe in any cognizant creator God at all, but I plan on majoring in it once I get my ass into school.

I can do that for hours on end, as well - but, as you are aware, Cinderella hasn't had quite the impact that The Bible has had.

I think you'd be surprised, if that "99%" wasn't gross hyperbole.

Because it is endlessly fascinating to me.
You can't learn anything about God through man's eyes, but you can learn a lot about man through God's eyes.

Then why are you wasting your time discussing it?
Seems rather silly to me.
Or do you feel compelled somehow?

I have a bit of an understanding, and if I have my way, I will spend the rest of my life continuing to explore just that.

Yes. It is called Chinese Whisper. Take a look at the little tag under my username.

Errors, mistranslations AND purposeful manipulation.
It's fantastic.
Think about how much you can learn about a people based on what version of The Bible they followed, what they changed in it and why.
I like to detangle oher religious texts and practices in the same manner.

The most comples puzzle man ever assembled.
I love to solve puzzles! Don't you?

Good post. Good points. I think I understand more clearly where you are coming from now.

If anybody knows a more accurate translation for the Bible, let me know. I’m also looking for list of books related to the Bible such as Apocrypha. This article is about the most accurate English translations of the original writings that make up the Holy Bible. This is my research thus far.

English Standard Version (2001)
Holman Christian Standard Bible (2004)
New American Standard Bible (1995)
New Revised Standard Version (1989)
Revised Standard Version (1971)
New World Translation (1984)

ESV is the most accurate of all when it comes to original scripture in Greek and Hebrew. ESV surpasses the HCSB and the NASB.

I must admit the HCSB is nice. Very nice. It has lots of good footnotes referencing lines added by other translations when necessary. Also, lots of important footnotes on literal wording. If a verse uses modern time such as '5pm', it will have a footnote telling us the literal translation, '11th hour'.

And here is the reason why it should be kept as the 11th hour. Because the 11th hour is not 5pm.

The biblical day is the same as the Jewish day. Jewish days start at sundown wich is 6pm. so the 11th hour is not 5.pm but it is in fact 5am.

I found however, HCSB is not as accurate as ESV. There are praises all over the internet about how great the HCSB is. Well unfortunately, all of the praises have nothing to do with accuracy. They're all about how much people like the language in the HCSB better. Many of them with very limited vocabularies. I agree. HCSB is very nice. Yet all the niceness in the world doesn’t make up for being wrong.

The ESV is also written in very readable modern English. In fact, because some of the words are bigger, there is even less of a Kindergarten feel, and more clarity in expression of ideas. And most of all, as mentioned before, the ESV is more accurate than anything I’ve ever seen out there including the HCSB.

There have been claims that the NASB is more accurate than the ESV while the ESV is more readable. Claims that are probably using the King James Version as a basis for accuracy. As far as I've seen the ESV is more readable, and in fact very much more accurate than the NASB when it comes to real original biblical writings.

The ESV is a revision of the Revised Standard Version. The New Revised Standard Version is also a revision of the RSV. While the ESV uses the term, “virgin”, both the RSV and the NRSV use the term “young woman”. Although, in this case, the ESV’s translation isn’t as accurate, the ESV gets to be accepted in Christian circles. Call it bad marketing for the RSV and the NRSV. Sadly enough, this particular word usage is probably the very reason that the RSV, and later the NRSV, are excluded throughout Christianity as legitimate translations. They’re not even included in http://www.biblegateway.com/ online bible site. So what to do? Come out with a revision that is more Christian friendly. So the ESV takes a hit in accuracy for marketing purposes. But it does indeed make up for in the long run with overall superior accuracy.

The Jehovah Witness Bible is actually very accurate, and comparable to the ESV. The name of God, YHWH, often appears in the Hebrew manuscripts. The ‘Y’ is sometimes pronounced as ‘J’ or ‘I’. And the ‘W’ is sometimes pronounced as ‘V’. Thus we can have JHVH. Some say Yaweh, and some say Jehovah. The Jehovah Witnesses use the New World Translation Bible. They use the term ‘Jehovah’ for YHWH. The ESV will use the term ‘Lord’ for YHWH. There are many occasions in the NWT, however, in which Watchtower terminology is used to intentionally replace real scripture.

I refer to God of Abraham as YAVEH. I got that from a dream, actually i was puzzled at first and wondered at the authenticity of the dream. Because at the time i had thought Yaweh was the correct way to say it. So i looked up YAVEH on the internet and to my surprise it was reognised in some quaters as correct.

Evil Bibles
The New American Bible that the Catholics use is a very inaccurate translation of original Biblical scripture. If you’re Catholic, you might want to use the ESV or change your religion to a different denomination of Christianity or go non-denominational. Or go find a different religion altogether.

Well i was a catholic and i did leave it. I was given a NKJV bible i see that your list does not include it. I use it as the bible i use for quoting but i also use the KJV because in some areas i believe it is more accurate.

The New International Version is Microsoft of Bibles. Although I wouldn’t trust anything that comes out of Zondervan Media which I don’t consider the least bit Christian, they didn’t create the NIV. The NIV was actually published long before Zondervan began taking over Christianity. While the NIV was quite readable for its time, it never measured up to the RSV in accuracy. It definitely doesn’t come close to anything mentioned above.

I am against the NIV. i would never tell anyone to read it. And given the opportuity will adivise people i am talking to to look for another bible.

Then there is the precious KJV. Many Americans worship the KJV as the true word of God over even the original writings in which the KJV was translated from. Big mistake, pointless, and in no way Christianity. KJV is nothing more than one of many languages that original Biblical scripture was translated to. KJV is no more original scripture than the Chinese translations of the Bible are. The KJV is an even less accurate translation of much of what is out there. Christians who seek to understand original Biblical writings believe that Yehoshua ben Yosef was born from a virgin mother, Miryam, and is the son of God.

I believe that the Messiah Godwithus. known by various names was born from a virgin mother. and is the son of God.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

By the way, sin actually means inaccuracy. So if you aren't about accuracy, you're probably about sin. :D
M*W: How conveniently wrong you are.

"Sin" was first believed to be a moon god, the father of all gods as Ernest Busenbark states:

"As the Sumerian cities became dominated by the Semitic culture of Babylon, the influence of Sin the moon god of Ur became greater and more widespread not only in Babylonia but in other parts of the ancient world. It was only in Babylon, however, where Semitic influence was strong, that Sin was particularly honored as the father of the gods."

"Sin was represented as an old man with long beard, seated beneath a crescent moon. He was identified with the healing art and as governor of oracles and dreams. On the other hand, he had a sinister aspect as bringer of sickness and misfortune to mortals and could punish evildoers with leprosy. Texts exalt him as the governer of light and wisdom. His titles designate him as the "wanderer," "the living father," "uncle" or "the old one."

In other cultures, the moon god Sin is believed to have been the father of Ishtar, the moon goddess, and Shamash, the sun god. Further, the astrological interpretation of the character of Ishtar is the ruler over the forces of generation, commonly known as the planet Venus. This characterization passed into popular Egyptian religion as "Meritaten" and into christianity as the "Virgin Mary."

Busenbark continues to say:

"Undoubtedly one of the reasons for the moon's being associated with growth is that the lowering of the temperature during th enight causes moisture in the air to condense and settle in the form of dew which nourishes vegetation and causes growth. In both mythology and astrology the moon is associated with humidity, moisture, water, and feminity, whereas the sun is considered dry, hot and masculine."

Other sources refer to Sin as a name for the darkness of night. If the sun ruled the light of day, then darkness ruled the night. Each had its own god personification. Sin has absolutely nothing to do with misbehaving. It has more to do with fear of the unknown.

References:

Busenbark, Ernest: Symbols, Sex, and the Stars, The Truth Seeker, Co., Inc. San Diego, CA, 1949.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_(mythology)

http://www.answers.com/topic/sin-babylonian-god-of-the-moon

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/moongod.htm

Back