Morality is a religious construct?

So you think that if one was brought up in the world away from religious influences, (e.g. feral children) they would have the same sense of right and wrong as you do?

Yes, they would have a moral compass in regard to their personal experiences which would be inexactly like mine but fundamentally similar in regard to basic needs. If they are feral, it would be more rudimentary but they would protect themselves, run away from predators, cry, feel etc. I can't believe this question is even asked.

Last edited:
So why does "morality" vary throughout history and with geography?

Because morality isn't perfect but a general consensus based on self-protection and usually those of your species. As you evolve that empathy can extend further.

And if the guy stealing had a bigger club or was nastier it would be seen that it was a good thing to do... more food for the tough guys.

This too happens and this is the point of morality, the interaction. The nastier guy can end up eventually meeting an equally nasty reaction and anger and learn morality especially as well if it were relying on the others as a pack member. It is a gradual process of learning and awareness.

Hardly. What that would teach is that you need to be bigger and nastier than anyone else.

So if someone attacks you, you assume it is because he does not want to be hurt?

That would depend on why I'm being attacked?

I can only assume, aside from the motive, that I'm being attacked because the attacker learned his morals from scripture.

That would depend on why I'm being attacked?

I can only assume, aside from the motive, that I'm being attacked because the attacker learned his morals from scripture.

So you agree then, that morality is a religious construct?

Hardly. What that would teach is that you need to be bigger and nastier than anyone else.

THINK, the dynamic of a PROCESS.

Maybe initially, it's not fixed in stone. Everything undergoes EVOLUTION, it doesn't happen overnight. Later they can learn cooperation, it's freaking possible when they start thinking, becoming more aware, develop conceptual thinking than just reacting. k?

Last edited:
Imbecile, PROCESS.
Maybe initially, it's not fixed in stone. Everything undergoes EVOLUTION, it doesn't happen overnight. Later they can learn cooperation, it's freaking possible when they start thinking, becoming more aware, develop conceptual thinking than just reacting. k?

Nice. I haven't been called an imbecile for a long time. Just learnt the word?
Yup, co-operate. get all the big nasty guys together, establish a hierarchy and pick on anyone smaller.
And then go out in gangs to take what they can't get as individuals.

Yup, co-operate. get all the big nasty guys together, establish a hierarchy and pick on anyone smaller.

Exactly.:p

So you are assuming everyones morals are just like this probably because that is the level of your own moral evolution. HAHA!

No, not everyone agrees and especially the smaller being picked on, that's the point. The point of morality starts with yourself, NO ONE WANTS TO BE VICTIMIZED, STOLEN FROM, HURT, KILLED ETC.

GET IT??? I NEVER SAID IT PLAYS OUT PERFECTLY. THE DEVELOPMENT OF EMPATHY WHICH YOUR NEANDERTHAL BRAIN CAN'T FIGURE OUT IS REAL, THAT IS WHY MOST TRY TO PROTECT THEIR OFFSPRING AND THEIR INTERESTS AND ARE OFFENDED WHEN OTHERS INFRINGE ON IT. THIS IS RUDIMENTARY PREDATOR, PREY DEFENSIVE START. THE MORE EVOLVED HUMANS LEARN EMPATHY AND UNDERSTANDING OF OTHERS EVEN GOING TO OTHER COUNTRIES TO HELP HUMANITY EVEN ANIMALS. LOL.

What, that I haven't been called an imbecile for a long time? :)

So you are assuming everyones morals are just like this probably because that is the level of your own moral evolution. HAHA!
You're the one making assumptions. My morals are not in question here. The discussion is where morals came from and why.

No, not everyone agrees and especially the smaller being picked on, that's the point. The point of morality starts with yourself, NO ONE WANTS TO BE VICTIMIZED, STOLEN FROM, HURT, KILLED ETC.
Exactly. But how did morality start if being bigger and nastier gets you what you want?

GET IT??? I NEVER SAID IT PLAYS OUT PERFECTLY. THE DEVELOPMENT OF EMPATHY WHICH YOUR NEANDERTHAL BRAIN CAN'T FIGURE OUT IS REAL, THAT IS WHY MOST TRY TO PROTECT THEIR OFFSPRING AND THEIR INTERESTS AND ARE OFFENDED WHEN OTHERS INFRINGE ON IT. THIS IS RUDIMENTARY PREDATOR, PREY DEFENSIVE START. THE MORE EVOLVED HUMANS LEARN EMPATHY AND UNDERSTANDING OF OTHERS EVEN GOING TO OTHER COUNTRIES TO HELP HUMANITY EVEN ANIMALS. LOL.
A neaderthal brain now? I'm improving then. And you are still failing to to distinguish between myself and my arguments. Which indicates something about you, and your own empathy, surely.
Yes, empathy and understanding of others HAS (demonstrably) happened, but WHY? is the question. Protecting your offspring is self-centredness - protection of your own bloodline. And being bigger and nastier than anyone else is a sure way of doing that.

You haven't shown any indication of that excluding YHO.

Actually, I did, some time ago, when you were new here, as did others.

But, you also believe Allah split the moon in half, and a great deal of other myths propagated by Islam.

In other words, this thread is predictable, hence pointless.

Yes, empathy and understanding of others HAS (demonstrably) happened, but WHY? is the question. Protecting your offspring is self-centredness - protection of your own bloodline. And being bigger and nastier than anyone else is a sure way of doing that.

Thats an interesting POV; how do you believe morality originated?

I don't know.
I'm fairly sure it exists.
But that's why I'm "contributing" to this thread in the hopes that it will eventually kick out something to give me a lead.

Back