Morality is a religious construct?

Well, they certainly feel victimization. To not pick that up is quite unempathetic. I could post a vid of dogs being gassed and you can hear them cry out in pain. How dense can you be, of course they feel victimization.

Most ideas of right and wrong, reward and punishment, acceptance and rejection in many societies have a basis in the religious culture.

No, religion created those concepts to prop up the fear associated with the belief system. Those concepts have little relevance in reality.

This being so, why would an atheist believe in morality? If there is no accountability, why should anyone be "good" or "bad"?

"Good" and "bad" as represented by religion has nothing to do with morality, and everything to do with with propagating fear. Accountability has no meaning in that regard, other than being accountable for propagation.

An animal does what it can to survive; there is no "murder" or "theft" or "rape" or "infanticide".

So what?

So why should there be ANY standard of behaviour for humans?

The standards can be quite simple. Do no harm to others.

No trolling please; I would really like to discuss the topic (Jimmy, this is for you) from an atheists point of view.

Who's Jimmy?

The standards can be quite simple. Do no harm to others.

And what if someone does do something harmful? I'm a firm believer that evil people actually exist, are actually born that way. So ...what does your wonderous society do about those people when they actually harm someone? Nothing ...because of your high and simple standards?

Baron Max

I've seen the reverse too, so whom should I believe?

Sam, I have to recant my earlier posts. The problem is that I've never had a puppy right out of the womb! I've always gotten my puppies at about 9-12 weeks old ....so it's entirely possible that the previous owners/breeders actually scolded the puppies before I got them. Sorry about my earlier positive-sounding remarks ...I didn't think about it until later.

Baron Max

Sam, I have to recant my earlier posts. The problem is that I've never had a puppy right out of the womb! I've always gotten my puppies at about 9-12 weeks old ....so it's entirely possible that the previous owners/breeders actually scolded the puppies before I got them. Sorry about my earlier positive-sounding remarks ...I didn't think about it until later.

Baron Max

Ah, of course, now it makes sense, I was really surprised we had such different experiences.:)

No, the idea that morality is a religious constructs is one of the greatest fallacies in modern ethics.
Morality is based on an ancient emotional response mechanism; which even smaller mammals like mice have.
Certainly religion can be used to coerce people into being moral, but its not the source of morality.

No, the idea that morality is a religious constructs is one of the greatest fallacies in modern ethics.
Morality is based on an ancient emotional response mechanism; which even smaller mammals like mice have.
Certainly religion can be used to coerce people into being moral, but its not the source of morality.

Could you expand on this?

Well what i mean is - morality is based in a sort of visceral extra-rational process.
Much as we can understand what makes a good sentence 'good' and a bad sentence 'bad' outside of the linguistic principles we're taught (as people like chomsky have shown).
We also have a generalised sense of what's 'fair' outside of social tradition and coerced conduct (assuming that we listen to our intuitive moral voice that is).
For example - you wont find a culture on earth that doesnt understand the concepts of guilt, shame, or empathy - you'll have localised divergent ideas of where these repsonses are deemed appropriate of course.
But the core intuitive emotional framework that underpins all moral values is always ever-present, continually guiding our outwardly rationalised behaviour.

Wow, uh yeah. I don't need a book to tell me what is going to offend me or not. No one needs a book to tell them to run away from someone trying to kill them or attack them. No one needs a book to tell them when they feel nice or friendly toward someone or hateful or angry. These are experienced and are a rudimentary basis for the concept of morality. Writing it down does give a frame of reference in sharing points of view or common experience though. I don't need to run to a book to check if something I experienced was something I considered moral or immoral since everyone has an internal built-in compass. One's moral compass is transcribed to paper, the paper didn't write my moral compass unless you are that stupid.

Wow, uh yeah. I don't need a book to tell me what is going to offend me or not. No one needs a book to tell them to run away from someone trying to kill them or attack them. No one needs a book to tell them when they feel nice or friendly toward someone or hateful or angry. These are experienced and are a rudimentary basis for the concept of morality. Writing it down does give a frame of reference in sharing points of view or common experience though. I don't need to run to a book to check if something I experienced was something I considered moral or immoral since everyone has an internal built-in compass. One's moral compass is transcribed to paper, the paper didn't write my moral compass unless you are that stupid.

So you think that if one was brought up in the world away from religious influences, (e.g. feral children) they would have the same sense of right and wrong as you do?

I don't need to run to a book to check if something I experienced was something I considered moral or immoral since everyone has an internal built-in compass.
So why does "morality" vary throughout history and with geography?

No, Bells, "right n' wrong" was set long, long before any kind of religion was instituted. In the cave, when one man tried to steal another's food, and the owner smacked the theif with a big club, it was instantly recognized by every other caveman that ...stealing someone else's food is ...a bad thing to do!

As religions came along, they just incorporated all of those old "good n' bad" things into it's rules.

Baron Max
Psst..

That's what I said in the first place lol.:p

No, Bells, "right n' wrong" was set long, long before any kind of religion was instituted. In the cave, when one man tried to steal another's food, and the owner smacked the theif with a big club, it was instantly recognized by every other caveman that ...stealing someone else's food is ...a bad thing to do!

As religions came along, they just incorporated all of those old "good n' bad" things into it's rules.

Baron Max

How do you know thats what they did? How old are you? :confused:

In the cave, when one man tried to steal another's food, and the owner smacked the theif with a big club, it was instantly recognized by every other caveman that ...stealing someone else's food is ...a bad thing to do!
And if the guy stealing had a bigger club or was nastier it would be seen that it was a good thing to do... more food for the tough guys.

Back