Maker of religiously critical film shot dead

path

Militant wiseguy
Registered Senior Member
A critic pays the price :(

Dutch film maker Theo van Gogh, who made a controversial film about Islamic culture recently, has been shot dead in Amsterdam

story

Do you feel it is tragic? Did he get what he deserved?

What kind of faith is it that cannot endure criticism?

Last edited:
path said:
A critic pays the price :(

story

Do you feel it is tragic? Did he get what he deserved?

What kind of faith is it that cannot endure criticism?

Dude, having naked women perform prayer with Qur'anic texts on her body and calling Allah a pimp is not criticism.

:m:

Bruce Wayne said:
Dude, having naked women perform prayer with Qur'anic texts on her body and calling Allah a pimp is not criticism.

So he got what he deserved then?

No it is called a very grave insult to the core of a believe of some individuals that take their religion very very seriously.

Bruce Wayne said:
No it is called a very grave insult to the core of a believe of some individuals that take their religion very very seriously.

Sort of like Andreas Serrano's work.

So he got what he deserved then for insulting someones beliefs?

yes, would seem so, path.

bruce we live in a free world, to say do as we please, this is not a crime, and certainly does not need a sentence of death, beat him up, slap a libel suit on him, spit on him, but dont kill.
it makes your religion, evil in everyone elses eyes

I would not have had him killed, if only because the ammo it will give stormfront-troopers like path here. But I can't say I don't feel sad he got it. He went very far. he could have been a active racist, he could have killed Muslims, he could have visciously attacked Islam like many others have done. But he pushed it too far. As I said, there much difference between, opposition, criticism, hatred, and what he has done.

Bruce Wayne said:
I would not have had him killed, if only because the ammo it will give stormfront-troopers like path here.

So basically if you could have killed him and gotten away without giving your faith a bad name you would have. And you are calling ME a stormtrooper :p

But I can't say I don't feel sad he got it. He went very far. he could have been a active racist,

Which he obviously wasn't.

he could have killed Muslims,

Which he didn't, quite the contrary.

he could have visciously attacked Islam like many others have done. But he pushed it too far.

So he did none of the things you mentioned above but a 10 minute film critical of islams treatment of women crossed the line huh?

As I said, there much difference between, opposition, criticism, hatred, and what he has done.

You haven't fully explained yourself.

path said:
Then allah is an insecure weakling. (should I hide now?)

No, I will just laugh at you (more than usual).

(And secretly seek to convert :eek: your childeren to Islam, thereby flunging you into a deep existential crisis. I know, I am evil huh?? ;) )

Can we get a christian take on this? Imagine it was Andreas Serrano standing in front of you and you have a gun. What do you do?
If you aren't familiar with him this is how he expresses his distaste for christianity

Bruce Wayne said:
No, I will just laugh at you (more than usual).

(And secretly seek to convert :eek: your childeren to Islam, thereby flunging you into a deep existential crisis. I know, I am evil huh??

Sorry Bruce I am not raising drones ;) and it is flinging

In one scene the film showed an actress in see-through garments with Koranic script written on her body, which also bore whip marks.
What did he try to convey through such scenes? Did he know people get killed for writing koranic script at odd places? whether it his right or not, it was his life he was playing with. When he is crude with someone's sentiments he can't expect gentleness back.

everneo said:
What did he try to convey through such scenes?

They were trying to convey the idea that women bear the marks\scars of the faith on their bodies (not a bad attempt either).

Did he know people get killed for writing koranic script at odd places?

I think he foolishly assumed that he was living in western europe and that sort of thing doesn't happen there.

whether it his right or not, it was his life he was playing with. When he is crude with someone's sentiments he can't expect gentleness back.

Hey while we are at it lets get the monty python crew for "Life of Brian" and the makers of "Last temptation of Christ" etc etc.
and all those other folks who disagree with or leave our belief systems.

Last edited:
path said:
They were trying to convey the idea that women bear the marks\scars of the faith on their bodies (not a bad attempt either).
That may be fine with western audience. Will not work for folks for whom nudity is 'unmodest'.

You are right :

I think he foolishly assumed that he was living in western europe and that sort of thing doesn't happen there.

Hey while we are at it lets get the monty python crew for "Life of Brian" and the makers of "Last temptation of Christ" etc etc.
and all those other folks who disagree with our belief systems.
It is well known that christians are not allowed to react violently, they can pray for them for forgiveness!

It is also well known that with muslims such silly symbolism would not work but would evoke a different response ranging from strong protest to killing. The purpose of conveying the message (if that was his intention) is already lost since he misfired, it hit muslims at a different but more sensitive place. He could have done that in a different manner.

Back