Magen David Ambulance Dispatch: “Is it an Arab or a Jew?”

The equivalent would be if in New Zealand we had two ambulance service - St Johns, and - let's call the Maori ambulance service Bro' Repairs.

I would then expect the dispatch operator to ask either the ethnicity, or the preffered ambulance service of the person requiring assistance.

So is there a Maori/European ambulance service that caters ethnically to the appropriate patients? What happens if its a Maori man with an European wife. Do they send only one ambulance or two?

I've told you already, SAM!! Don't you listen? If an the victim was Palestinian, then to send an Israeli ambulance would just cause more problems at the site of the incident. The dispatcher wanted to know the victim's identity so they could sen the ...APPROPRIATE... ambulance so as to limit the possible issue of ME accusations, etc.

Baron Max

So, does Magen David cater to non-Jewish patients? Or is it a Jewish only ambulance service? Because they asked Arab or Jew, not Israeli or Palestinian.

So, does Magen David cater to non-Jewish patients? Or is it a Jewish only ambulance service?

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that it's for Jewish patients only.

I mean, SAM, surely even you, as hateful as you can be about this issue, must surely understand the risk of a Jewish service doing ...ANYTHING... for a Palestinian without dozens of tv cameras and recording systems running and several attorneys witnessing each and every move and hearing every word spoken.

SAM, use your head .....if the Jewish ambu picks up that kid for transport to the hospital, and the kid dies of internal injuries that no one knew about, what would the Palestinians say?

Baron Max

No answer for that one eh? Does the Palestinian Crescent operate within Israel? If not, what happens if the Magen David dispatch asks, is it an Arab or a Jew?

It would mean do not reject the ambulance that serve's you

Strictlyspeaking, I agree with you, but given the degree of hatred between some factions of the two groups, I can see an Israeli not wanting to be touched by a palestinian, and vice versa.

Plus, dispatching an israeli ambulance to tend to an injured palestinian, or a palestinian ambulance to tend to an injured israeli represents a potential security risk to both the paramedics in the ambulance, and the person requiring assitance.

So is there a Maori/European ambulance service that caters ethnically to the appropriate patients? What happens if its a Maori man with an European wife. Do they send only one ambulance or two?

The Pink unicorns show up and whisk them away to the tooth faries castle.

Sheikh Jarrah is in Jerusalem, which is purportedly in Israel, even claimed as the "eternal capital" of the Jews. And the ambulance dispatch wants to know the ethnicity of the injured child before making a decision to come pick him up.

I'm not sure whats more pathetic the blatant racism of the EMT or the justification for his racism presented here.

There may also be differences in protocols with regards to things like blood transfusions.

Sheikh Jarrah is in Jerusalem, which is purportedly in Israel, even claimed as the "eternal capital" of the Jews. And the ambulance dispatch wants to know the ethnicity of the injured child before making a decision to come pick him up.

I'm not sure whats more pathetic the blatant racism of the EMT or the justification for his racism presented here.

Didn't you hear that angelina and brad pitt are separating? :D

Stop the BS S.A.M.

Both ambulance services showed up.
The Red Crescent got there first.

I can't imagine that many Palistinians would be happy about being pumped full of Jewish blood.

Are there? Do you know of any such arrangements?

Palestinians are so routinely evicted from their homes and replaced by Jewish settlers iin Sheikh Jarrah, living in tents outside their own former homes, that demonstrations there are a daily affair. The racism is not something unique or unusual. Its commonplace, almost routine.

Ok. I'll stop and be serious. Here is what she is ignoring:

PALESTINIAN civilians living in Gaza during the three-week war with Israel have spoken of the challenge of being caught between Hamas and Israeli soldiers as the radical Islamic movement that controls the Gaza strip attempted to hijack ambulances.

Mohammed Shriteh, 30, is an ambulance driver registered with and trained by the Palestinian Red Crescent Society.

His first day of work in the al-Quds neighbourhood was January 1, the sixth day of the war. "Mostly the war was not as fast or as chaotic as I expected," Mr Shriteh told the Herald. "We would co-ordinate with the Israelis before we pick up patients, because they have all our names, and our IDs, so they would not shoot at us."

Mr Shriteh said the more immediate threat was from Hamas, who would lure the ambulances into the heart of a battle to transport fighters to safety.

"After the first week, at night time, there was a call for a house in Jabaliya. I got to the house and there was lots of shooting and explosions all around," he said.

Because of the urgency of the call, Mr Shriteh said there was no time to arrange his movements with the IDF.

"I knew the Israelis were watching me because I could see the red laser beam in the ambulance and on me, on my body," he said.

Getting out of the ambulance and entering the house, he saw there were three Hamas fighters taking cover inside. One half of the building had already been destroyed.

"They were very scared, and very nervous … They dropped their weapons and ordered me to get them out, to put them in the ambulance and take them away. I refused, because if the IDF sees me doing this I am finished, I cannot pick up any more wounded people.

"And then one of the fighters picked up a gun and held it to my head, to force me. I still refused, and then they allowed me to leave."

Mr Shriteh says Hamas made several attempts to hijack the al-Quds Hospital's fleet of ambulances during the war.

"You hear when they are coming. People ring to tell you. So we had to get in all the ambulances and make the illusion of an emergency and only come back when they had gone."

Eyad al-Bayary, 32, lost his job as a senior nurse at the Shifa Hospital, the largest in Gaza City, about six months ago because he is closely identified with Fatah, the rival political movement of Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

Twice last year Mr Bayary was arrested by Hamas, and once he was jailed for six days for flying the Fatah flag above his house in Jabaliya. He now works part-time as an English teacher at al-Azhar University.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/ha...nces-during-war/2009/01/25/1232818246374.html

In Jerusalem? Who will ambush them in Jerusalem? With an Israeli cop phoning in?

I believe the demonstrations have created a tourist opportunity for the skeptics as well as the leftists

"There is a large variety of international activists here," he says. "There are those who spend weeks and months in the village and take the political issue seriously, and there are others who, as part of their trip to Israel and Palestine, drop in at Bil'in to see what's happening. Some of them have a strong political awareness, others come to take pictures. Everyone who comes adds to the feeling of solidarity. But yes, it can also generate antagonism if you feel committed to the struggle and find yourself surrounded by tourists.

"On the other hand," Wagner continues, "I am glad that they are here, despite everything, even though it's funny. In the end, the struggle brings this whole gamut of humanity to the same place at the same time. I feel that even people who get dragged here for all kinds of less binding reasons come away more committed to the struggle. And that's what's important."

Yuska Fijasua, a 26-year-old art student from Japan, watches the events through black Gucci glasses. As stun grenades and a never-ending series of tear-gas grenades leave smoke trails in the air, he sits alone on a large rock.

"I saw a movie about Bil'in on YouTube and I decided to come here," he says. "I wanted to see the fence, the people, the soldiers. In my opinion, when there is an international presence here, the army attacks the Palestinians less. But what I like to see most here is the presence of the Israelis. Their presence is more important than anything else, I would say. This is a bad place. I don't understand why tear gas is used against people who only want to say something."

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1142716.html

This is about the West Bank, but demonstrations at Bilin, Nilin and Sheikh Jarrah have become so popular that Israelis may soon start selling snacks and drinks there

Maybe you could pop in and see for yourself.

Back