Lucifer

Adam

§Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥
Registered Senior Member
It seems to me that Lucifer in the christian mythology is 100% about freedom and knowledge. Whereas god wanted to keep humanity ignorant slaves, Lucifer chose to give us free will and reason. Lucifer may indeed be the enemy of an evil dictator, but hardly the enemy of mankind. Any thoughts on this?

Ever seen the Devil's Advocate? THere's an interesting scene in which Satin is talking about how he nutured everyone of man's desires, while God is a hypocrite and a Sadist. Yeah I figure you're right, this whole idea is one of the main principles of Satanism. Plus Lucifer was created by the church in my opinion to stop people from trying things, going with their natural inclinations and finding out what worked for them, to blindly follow the church instead.

Oh, incidently this is one of the main reasons I find the comic book/story Spawn to be so interesting. Instead of Satin just punishing those souls sent to hell he offers them a chance to fight in his army. Seriously, if Satin believes in the values that he practices why would he torture people that follow him in the after-life? Its simply a scare tactic from the church.

It seems to me that Lucifer in the christian mythology is 100% about freedom and knowledge.

Noooot exactly. The serpent in Genesis may or may not be Lucifer.

Reading the passage from Genesis:

3:1
Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
3:2
And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
3:3
But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
3:4
And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
3:5
For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
3:6
And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
3:7
And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

I'll agree with you on the "knowledge and freedom" bit. However, the snake was not necessarily Lucifer. This seems to be a later interpretation of the myth.

Note that the snake is referred to as a "beast of the feild" by comparison.

It is only in later Christian artwork that the snake gains its human face, and becomes more like Lucifer or the Devil.

There is actually no reference to Lucifer as a rebellious angel in the OT that I know of. This seems to be a later Christian myth.

The Jews believed in demons, but they did not have "fallen angels" to my knowledge.

Nor is the Jewish devil the king of hell, or "prince of the powers of the air", as the Christians later put it. Jewish mythology borrows its concept of the afterlife from the Babylonian - there is no heaven or hell - there is simply a place where the dead reside.

Whereas god wanted to keep humanity ignorant slaves, Lucifer chose to give us free will and reason.

See above. There's no evidence either in the Bible or Talmud that Lucifer was the serpent.

The serpent is later cursed by God. Adam is punished by having to earn food by the sweat of his brow, Eve is punished by being forced to be subservient to Adam and endure the pain of childbirth (itself a consequence of higher intelligence - childbirth would be relatively painless were it not for the large brain that human babies posess).

The serpent is punished by being forced to slither and by being persecuted by humans from then on. This suggests to me that the snake is not the Devil.

I suspect that the snake is a personification of intelligence. You know what a cadacus is?

The intertwined snakes symbolize wisdom, fertility and healing. The symbol goes back to - you guessed it - Babylonian mythology.

Note that fertility and wisdom are rather integrel parts of the myth of the Fall, eh?

Lucifer may indeed be the enemy of an evil dictator, but hardly the enemy of mankind. Any thoughts on this?

Not exactly. Satan or Lucifer (they are identified as the same "being") torments Job on a bet with God.

Satan is the enemy of God and of that which is considered good. In fact, "Devil" has been translated as "opposer", and the Muslims regard the Devil (Iblis) as one who tempts mankind to sin. (Iblis did literally fall from heaven, this seems to be an example of the Muslims borrowing from Christian mythos)

Of course, neither the Xtian devil or the Muslim devil can force complience. While both mythologies believe in "possession" by demons, Satan and Iblis are still subservient to God.

Iblis is unable to force the complience of true believers, and Satan must ask God's permission in order to torment Job.

Suffice to say that Satan is subservient to God, and is indeed the enemy of mankind.

Edit to add:

This is a site with an interesting interpretation of the myth. I don't agree with them completely, and they are rather biased towards Wicca/Satanism (Tiassa, note that I am in no way saying that the two religions are the same):

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~robwir/devbio.html

(Thanx Avatar, who I think recommended this at first)

Demons from A to Z, which rather confirms my interpretation, I think:

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/delirium/mythology/demon_list.asp

Originally posted by Xev

I suspect that the snake is a personification of intelligence. You know what a cadacus is?
Caduceus was the staff of Hermes, messenger of the gods.

Thansk for the info. I don't know much Christian mythology really, so it's good to get some of this now and then.

*Originally posted by Xev
I'll agree with you on the "knowledge and freedom" bit.

Actually, the devil was lying when he was talking.
The knowledge that Adam and Eve gained consisted of two things...
1. that they were naked...

And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked;...
(Genesis 3:7, KJV)

2. That they got to know evil by experiencing it...

And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

(Genesis 3:17,18, KJV).

Bummer.

*There is actually no reference to Lucifer as a rebellious angel in the OT that I know of. This seems to be a later Christian myth.*

It isn't myth; here's the quote...

How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
(Isaiah 14:12, KJV).

*The Jews believed in demons, but they did not have "fallen angels" to my knowledge.*

Sure they did.
See the book of Enoch.

*Nor is the Jewish devil the king of hell, or "prince of the powers of the air", as the Christians later put it. Jewish mythology borrows its concept of the afterlife from the Babylonian - there is no heaven or hell - there is simply a place where the dead reside.*

The idea isn't borrowed from the Babylonians.
Anyone can stand in a cemetery and see the results of death.
The devil isn't the "king" of hell, either.
He is merely the adversary.

*The serpent is punished by being forced to slither and by being persecuted by humans from then on. This suggests to me that the snake is not the Devil.*

It may suggest that, but that isn't so.

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
(Revelation 12:9, KJV).

The serpent and the devil are one and the same.

*I suspect that the snake is a personification of intelligence. You know what a cadacus is?*

The snake is probably more like the personification of sophistication, i.e. the semblance of having wisdom.
Do you mean "caduceus," perhaps?

*The intertwined snakes symbolize wisdom, fertility and healing. The symbol goes back to - you guessed it - Babylonian mythology.*

Nope.
It goes back to...

And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.
(Numbers 21:9, KJV).

*Note that fertility and wisdom are rather integrel parts of the myth of the Fall, eh?*

It's not a myth.

*Satan or Lucifer (they are identified as the same "being")*

Not the same being.
Satan was a liar and murderer from the beginning...

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
(John 8:44, KJV).

Lucifer, as can be seen from Isaiah 14, started out as one thing and changed.

*torments Job on a bet with God.*

It's no bet.
Satan was attempting to provoke God to torment Job, which he wouldn't do and simply stated that Job was in his power.

And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life.
(Job 2:6, KJV).

But why was Job in satan's power?

For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.
(Job 3:25, KJV).

Fear was the reason.

He that diggeth a pit shall fall into it; and whoso breaketh an hedge, a serpent shall bite him.
(Ecclesiastes 10:8, KJV).

Notice the reference to the hedge that satan was complaining about?
Well, fear was the break in the hedge, and God simply pointed that out to satan.

*Iblis is unable to force the complience of true believers, and Satan must ask God's permission in order to torment Job.*

Actually, he doesn't have to ask.

He is the devourer, and his job is to devour.

8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
(1 Peter 5:8, KJV).

His food is dust.

And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
(Genesis 3:14, KJV).

Coincidentally, you are dust, therefore you are satan's food.

In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
(Genesis 3:19, KJV).

*Suffice to say that Satan is subservient to God, and is indeed the enemy of mankind.*

Since you know this, what is your plan to avoid being devoured?

*...Wicca/Satanism (Tiassa, note that I am in no way saying that the two religions are the same):*

Oh, they're the same.
They are both worship of satan, with a little twist from satan to induce the devotees to think they are different.

Tony:

Ah, I must disagree on a few things.

Actually, the devil was lying when he was talking.
The knowledge that Adam and Eve gained consisted of two things...

The snake.

And I refer to Genesis 3:22 to support my interpretation that the snake, er, "offered" Eve knowledge.

And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

It isn't myth; here's the quote...

How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

Look at Isaiah 14:1-4:
For the LORD will have mercy on Jacob, and will yet choose Israel, and set them in their own land: and the strangers shall be joined with them, and they shall cleave to the house of Jacob.
14:2
And the people shall take them, and bring them to their place: and the house of Israel
shall possess them in the land of the LORD for servants and handmaids: and they shall take them captives, whose captives they were; and they shall rule over their oppressors.
14:3
And it shall come to pass in the day that the LORD shall give thee rest from thy sorrow,
and from thy fear, and from the hard bondage wherein thou wast made to serve,
14:4
That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased!

Not talking about Lucifer, but about an earthly king.

The idea isn't borrowed from the Babylonians.

Actually, it seems to have been.

The devil isn't the "king" of hell, either.
He is merely the adversary.

According to the early Christians, yes. But the Catholics made the devil into the king of hell. I refer you to the last chapter of the Inferno, and to Lucifer's speech in Paradise Lost:

Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
Here we may reign secure, and in my choyce
To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, then serve in Heav'n.
But wherefore let we then our faithful friends,
Th' associates and copartners of our loss
Lye thus astonisht on th' oblivious Pool,
And call them not to share with us their part
In this unhappy Mansion, or once more
With rallied Arms to try what may be yet
Regaind in Heav'n, or what more lost in Hell?

So SATAN spake, and him BEELZEBUB

Of course, the Catholics also regarded the devil as a "tempter". Scripturally, he is only an adversary - First Peter, 5:8

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

The snake is probably more like the personification of sophistication, i.e. the semblance of having wisdom.
Do you mean "caduceus," perhaps?

But of course wisdom and intelligence are two different things.

Yes I did, spelling error.

The serpent and the devil are one and the same.

Sorry, I don't find Rev 12:9 to support your interpretation exactly. Dragons and snakes are often referred to as one and the same, and the dragon is of course a personification of the Devil.

Not the same being.

You're right, I was wrong.

So the Scriptures refer to two different beings? Interesting.

Fear was the reason.

Correctimundo.

Luke 10:

10:17
And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
10:18
And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
10:19
Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

Actually, I find this passage interesting in several senses. I could ignore the equation of Satan and Lucifer as a translator's error, however I find the KJV to be a quite decent translation.

Beyond that, we see that serpents and scorpions are associated with Satan. Could this be a resolution to the question of exactly what the snake of Genesis was?

Coincidentally, you are dust, therefore you are satan's food.

Devil's food cake?

Actually, I think I am amino acids and protiens more than dust.

Since you know this, what is your plan to avoid being devoured?

You forget that I am an athiest, and at any rate a skeptic. I do not believe in devils.

They are both worship of satan, with a little twist from satan to induce the devotees to think they are different.

Well, it will be nice to have Tiassa pissed at you rather than at me.

Seriously, I haven't read much about Wicca, and LeVay sounds like Hironymous Bosch after a wild night with the wrong sort of mushrooms. Not worth the trouble, and frankly antithetical to my nature.

But Wicca seems to be some sort of New-Agey Gaia-istic nature worship, while Satanism is basically a glorification of extreme egotism.

Edit to add:

Oh yeah, give me a day or two on this, looks like I'll have to re-read the NT.

Oh yeah, just a note about my reply. As Xev has put it above, we really have many misconceptions on the idea of Satin/Lucifer/The Devil bibilicaly and from other references. I was just going upon th concept of Satin and some of the ideas presented in Adam's original post.

Actually ubermich, I plan to spend saturday evening re-reading the New Testament.

(Early morning is another story)

Baptists? Nah, I'm an athiest, Tony seems to be a Protestant of some sort or another - perhaps aligned with the Born Again Charismatics, but I dunno.

Cactus Jack:
Stick around please, I'd like to hear your imput. Right now I'm trying to figure out the whole Lucifer/Satan thing.

For an atheist Xev, you seem a bit overly concerned with what they bible contains, obsessed almost....
Why do you bother to study it so carefully if you don't believe in it anyway? Is it a great book? I can think of several others to read if amusement is the purpose, but then, maybe I'm just picky.

Lucifer may indeed be the enemy of an evil dictator, but hardly the enemy of mankind. Any thoughts on this?

THE DEVIL IS THE ENEMY OF ALL MANKIND AND YOU ARE ENTRAPPED IN HIS WEB OF LIES, SPACE MONKEY FROM AUSTRALIA!!!

THIS IS NOT MYTH, IT IS 100% TRUE AND I HAVE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES!!!!!

Satan is not Lucifer and they both are not the serpent.

please read below, it is very educational, very true, very interesting and based on pure facts and evidence

THE DEVIL'S BIOGRAPHY

MYTHS, MISUNDERSTANDINGS AND MISREPRESENTATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH OLD TESTAMENT DESCRIPTIONS OF THE DEVIL, SATAN & LUCIFER.

Christianity presents the Devil, aka Satan or Lucifer, as a fallen angel, the Prince of Light, who was cast out of Heaven following an attempt to overthrow God. Most evangelicals and many other Christian conservatives describe the Devil as an actual entity who is able to tempt mankind to sin, possess the minds and bodies of humans, and inflict physical and mental sickness. He rules over Hell and has legions of other demonic fallen angels to serve him in his works on Earth and the eternal torment of sinners who have been condemned to Hell. This entire concept is purely and exclusively New Testament (NT) and has no factual basis in any of the Old Testament (OT) scriptures. There are mentions of demonic angels in latter Hebrew Kaballa, but there is no mention of such in any of the OT. Christians constructed the Devil from myths which the Jews themselves had borrowed from the Babylonians, Philistines and Canaanites, adding a few vague references in the OT to assign names and add substance to their creation. Just a few of the many demonic figures which were combined to create Christian Devil:

1) Beelzebub, (Baal-zebub, Lord of the Flies, derived from the Hebrew 'Baal-Zevuv' in the given text) actually was one of the many Baals (Lords or Masters) worshipped by the Philistines and Canaanites. Beelzebub is a corruption of the name Baal-Zebul, which translates 'Prince Baal.' He was the god of the Philistine city Ekron, and is mentioned in the OT at 2 Kings 1:2-16, where God condemns Ahaziah for consulting with the god of the Philistines rather than with himself, God of the Jews. The OT makes no mention of anything demonic about Baal-Zebub, just Ahaziah's sin of consulting with a Philistine god rather than with his own Jewish god.

2) Asmodeus, who was considered as the prince of revengeful demons. Hebrew myth identifies him as the eldest son of the mother of all demons, Lilith (more on her later).

3) Abaddon, aka Apollyon the Destroyer, who ruled in Sheol or the Pit, which was merely a residing place for all the dead and involved neither punishment nor reward for conduct while alive.

4) Satan and Lucifer, references to both of whom are combined to create one Devil with two names. These are completely covered further down in this site.

Not a single one of the OT demons ruled over Hell as it is described by Christians or had any power to punish people after death. They could inhabit the bodies of people and do them physical harm or even cause their bodies to act sinfully during the course of the possession, but they had no power to tempt or seduce humans to sin resulting in their eternal damnation. They were merely demonic entities most of whom descended from Adam's first wife Lilith as described in ancient Hebrew tradition and/or were borrowed from other popular religions of that time.

According to ancient Hebrew legend, when Adam attempted to force Lilith to assume the passive position in sex, she refused and Adam forced her to depart. She went with Sama'el, king of all demons, and they gave birth to Asmodeus as well as a horde of other imps. She is also considered the mother of the succubus, a female demon who came to men in their sleep for sex (thus explaining nocturnal emissions), and the incubus, who came to women in their sleep for sex (thus explaining 'embarrassing' pregnancies). It was believed by Jews, even up until recent times, that Lilith killed newborn babies, and a special amulet bearing the names of the three protective angels was placed on the crib as protection from her. There are many sites on most of the search engines on the net related to Lilith. Most of the writing on Lilith is from latter Hebrew writings, mainly in the Kaballa.

The NT claims that God is the source of all that is good, and Heaven the reward for following his laws. But that was not enough to bring people into the churches and keep them coming back. The early Christians wanted an opposing force, a demon who would be the source of sin the commission of which would result in condemnation to eternity in the torments of Hell and from whom only they could save us. The problem was, none existed for which they could claim biblical authority. If they wanted a bona fide, real, righteously powerful, frightening demon who would rule over Hell eternally punishing those who defied God or disobeyed his priests, they would have to create it and do so in a way that it would at least appear to have some kind of biblical validation. And it was a problem, because OT Jews did not believe in eternal reward or punishment after death. They believed the dead resided in The Pit, The Underworld, Sheol, which was not a place of punishment or reward as described by Christians, but was instead only a place of residence for the dead as described in the Hebrew religion and in Greco-Roman mythology. The OT Jews believed one obeyed God out of love, not out of hope for reward or fear of punishment, and it records only a few specific cases in which someone was taken physically to Heaven by God. About 200 BCE the Pharisees (the Hebrew sect of which St. Paul was a member) developed and presented the dogma concerning the concept of Heaven and Hell, but this was not accepted by most of the other Jewish sects. Even to this day many Jews do not subscribe to that belief.

The Christians began with the myth in the third chapter of Genesis of the serpent in the Garden of Eden. The very plain language in the given text is that the serpent was "...the most subtle of the beasts of the field," with no mention of it being any kind of demon. The serpent's punishment for its part in the apple caper was that it forever crawl on its belly and eat dust, and there would be enmity between it and women. That's all. Nothing about being cast into a flaming pit, nothing about any other punishment except eating dust, crawling on its belly, and frightening women. (There was also no mention as to what language Eve and the serpent spoke, how it moved about before being cursed to crawl on its belly, or what it ate before being restricted to eating dust.) Hardly fitting punishment for a demon that had just destroyed God's plan for humanity. By constant repetition of the myth that the serpent in Eden was in fact the Devil, it has gained currency among all Christians and is now blindly accepted as fact. Actually it was just one of the two talking animals in the OT, Balaam's ass being the other (Numbers 22:21-35).

Building on their misrepresentation of the serpent in God's Garden, they reinterpreted the few vague references to Satan and Lucifer in the OT and combined them with very old myths of the Hebrews, Philistines and other religions and created a super demon they called the Devil. They built on several vague references in the OT to "The Serpent" and claimed these references were actually to the serpent in God's Garden. The word "serpent" is used only thirty times in the OT. Most of those cannot possibly refer to a demon. Those that could have such a reference all issued from the ancient Babylonian myth which reported the god Ba'al Marduk as having slain a great serpent or dragon named Tiamat whose body he used to form the earth. This legend would have been known both to the early Hebrews who immigrated to Canaan from Mesopotamia and to the later authors of Genesis during their captivity in Babylon. As time passed, the Christians made the Devil more and more awesome, giving him the power to tempt people to sin, giving him kingship of Hell with legions of demons to do his bidding, adding more and more substance to his existence and greater powers to use against mankind.

There are two references to Satan and in only one single verse is the name "Lucifer" mentioned in the OT, none of which identify either of them either of them as fallen angels or demons or kings of Hell, and none of which seems to give either of them any kind of direct power over humans. We will examine every one of these references and you yourselves can determine their meaning and relevance. You may check my biblical references at The Bible Browser

Neither the OT King James Version (KJV) nor the Revised Standard Version (RSV) mention the word "devil" in any chapter or verse. The word "devil" (actually "Diablos") is the word for Adversary in Greek, the language of the New Testament; the name "Satan" is the word for Adversary in the Aramaic/Hebrew language of the Old Testament; both words mean the exact same thing in two different languages.

The KJV of the OT does not mention the word "demon." The RSV does mention "demon" at Deut. 32:17: "They sacrificed to demons which were no gods, to gods they had never known, to new gods that had come in of late, whom your fathers had never dreaded." Also the RSV in Psalm 106:37: "They sacrificed their sons and their daughters to the demons; they poured out innocent blood, the blood of their sons and daughters, whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaan; and the land was polluted with blood." In both cases, the references in the RSV seem to be to unnamed false or unknown gods rather than demonic entities of some sort.

Satan is the principal figure in both the KJV and RSV translations of the OT Book of Job, which we will examine below. The only other mention of that name is in the RSV at Zech. 3:1: "Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. And the LORD said to Satan, 'The LORD rebuke you! is not this a brand plucked from the fire?" This clearly places Satan in Heaven at the right hand of God, apparently being criticized by God concerning an accusation he (Satan) had brought against a high priest named Joshua. It does not in any way indicate that Satan was a demon or a fallen angel or the king of Hell. Instead, it pretty much establishes the fact that Satan was actually a member of the Heavenly Court in direct service to God, acting as a spy and prosecutor of humans: The Adversary against man, not against God.

In the Book of Job, one of the finest works of ancient literature extant, God and Satan are engaged in an obviously amiable dialog about the nature of man. Satan is claiming that if enough calamity befell a believer, he would lose his faith in God. God believes the opposite. To settle the dispute, they arbitrarily select Job, a good and honest man who loves God. With God's specific permission, Satan sets about destroying Job. The important factor here is that Satan had to have God's specific permission each separate time before the numerous temptings and tormentings of Job, and again, that Satan was indeed a respected and welcome member of the Heavenly Court serving God as prosecutor or adversary against man. The story does go on to relate that all was eventually made right with Job, the innocent victim of this divine debate, but even so it does not speak very well of God to have allowed a good and faithful servant to have been subjected to such horrible torment for so many years simply to resolve a philosophical debate between him and his agent Satan. In any case, a reasonable person reading this story would have to conclude that Satan cannot tempt or otherwise do harm to humans without God's specific permission in each individual case. And please note, if Satan was in Heaven serving God during the lifetime of Job, he could not have been the serpent in the Garden of Eden during the lifetime of Adam and Eve.

The KJV was largely based on the work of St. Jerome, aka Eusebius Hieronymous, who translated the Bible into Latin in the late 4th and early 5th centuries. Jerome made the determination that Lucifer was a fallen angel and that Satan and Lucifer are indeed the same individual. He then arbitrarily combined them into the Christian Devil which was eventually adopted as dogma throughout the early Church. Lucifer is not mentioned by that name anyplace in either the OT or NT of the RSV, which identifies him only as "Day Star, Son of Dawn." Jerome's opinion relied on a single passage in the KJV at Isaiah 14:4-22, but anyone adventurous enough to read that section in its entirety for themselves would find that Lucifer (the RSV's "Day Star, Son of Dawn") was an evil human king who was cast into the already existing Hell. In order that it be fairly presented, this entire biblical section is reported below rather than the truncated version taken from the second section which is used by preachers because it can be twisted to support their personal, individual version of how things should be rather than how they actually are. This citation is presented in its entirety with no omissions or editing save a few emphatic indicators. Check it for yourselves at the Bible Browser

Isaiah 14:4-22: "That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased! The LORD hath broken the staff of the wicked, and the scepter of the rulers. He who smote the people in wrath with a continual stroke, he that ruled the nations in anger, is persecuted, and none hindereth. The whole earth is at rest, and is quiet: they break forth into singing. Yea, the fir trees rejoice at thee, and the cedars of Lebanon, saying, Since thou are laid down, no feller (sic) is come up against us. Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming; it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations. All they shall speak and say unto thee, Art thou also become weak as we? art thou become like unto us? Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee.

"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou has said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth tremble, that did shake kingdoms; that made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?

"All the kings of the nations, even all of them, lie in glory, every one in his own house. But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase (sic) trodden under feet. Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, and slain thy people: the seed of evildoers shall never be renowned. Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities. For I will rise up against them, saith the LORD of hosts, and cut off from Babylon the name, and remnant, and son, and nephew, saith the LORD."

The name Lucifer, italicized and underlined above, is the only place in the entire Bible where that name appears, but it has through the centuries become the basis for the Christian Devil even though it clearly refers to a human king of Babylon who had been evil and goes on to describe how he will be viewed by the inhabitants of the Underworld when he arrives there. He is not presented here as the king of Hell or even as a demon of any kind, but instead is presented as a human king who believes himself to be superior to God and wishes to ascend to Heaven from Earth where he clearly abides. According to most legitimate scholars, "Lucifer" refers to the Babylonian King Helel (Hebrew: "Heyleyl"), which translates "Morning Star, son of Dawn" as related in the RSV version of the above KJV account. Some other scholars believe it refers to the despised King Nebuchadnezzar, others as an evil king named Tiglath-pileser, and others as a king of Tyre.

Even the Catholic Encyclopedia clearly and unambiguously states that Lucifer is not the name of the Devil. Throughout recorded history, Lucifer was the common name for the morning star, Venus the name for the same heavenly body at night. Venus the Evening Star, Lucifer the Day Star, bringer of light. As further evidence that Lucifer was not considered as a demonic figure until the time of St. Jerome, there was a Christian bishop of Cagliari in Sardinia named Lucifer in the 4th or 5th century, slightly before the emergence of St. Jerome as a theologian. No Christian prelate would have taken the name "Lucifer" if it had demonic connotations.

And finally, "Lucifer" is a Latin word appearing in a book of the Bible written in Hebrew/Aramaic by people who did not speak Latin and could not have done so because it did not then exist as a language. The bottom line: Lucifer was a human king of Babylon in both the KJV and RSV Bible versions, which means that he, like Satan, could not have been the serpent in Eden.

An excellent site with a complete explanation of the source of the demonic concept and the confusing etymology of the names of these two individuals can be examined at Lucifer and Satan. See also the definition in Encarta of Lucifer.

If the Christians are correct in their belief that Lucifer was cast out of Heaven and into Hell for attempting to rebel against God, one must ask why God would then allow him to leave Hell and come to Earth and bring misfortune upon mankind. If we are creatures with free will to sin or behave, then sending a powerful demonic force to tempt us unfairly interferes with the free will he gave us. Why, if he loves us, would he subject us to continuous demonic temptation to commit sin? Wouldn't God want us to succeed? Isn't life already an ongoing exercise in temptation? Is it fair to add to this a demon who will by some kind of insidious manipulation cause us to give in to sin? Why would God allow us to be the direct recipients of the punishment of the Devil's crime while rewarding the Devil himself with extensive powers to bring about that punishment? Why would God expect his believers to be able to withstand temptation when his own representatives here on Earth, such as Swaggert and Jim and Tammy Faye and Robert Tilton and Peter Popoff and the myriad of other fallen preachers, could themselves not fight off the temptation to steal and lie and commit adultery?

If any angel had offended God, God could have destroyed him as he did so many humans who offended him throughout the OT. If God could create the entire universe in six days, he could surely uncreate one unruly angel in a split second and not even need to rest after doing it. And one must also ask, if Lucifer was thrown out of Heaven for attempted revolution, why was he then renamed Satan and made welcome at the throne of God and allowed to advise God about anything or anybody? Why would God engage this evil rebel in what was obviously amiable discourse?

Even if these ridiculous interpretations were true, what would be in it for the Devil by any name to tempt people into sin resulting in their sentence to an eternity of pain and suffering in Hell? What does the Devil get out of it? How can this improve his own situation? When he does that, isn't he putting himself in the position of taking orders from his sworn enemy, God? If the Devil is indeed the Prince of Light with extraordinary intelligence, surely he has read John's Revelation and knows that he is doomed to lose his second war with God just as he lost the first one.

The Devil's punishment for losing the first war with God according to the Christian tradition (not according to the Bible): he was given the ability to assume any shape or form, the power to possess the body and mind of humans, the power to cause sickness, the power to tempt humans to sin so he can ultimately claim their souls. He rules over Hell with legions of demons to serve him, and can torture sinners throughout all eternity. The only thing that will change after John's Revelation comes to pass will be that he will no longer have to tempt people to sin because he will already have all the sinners in Hell with him. So losing the second war with God will actually reduce his work load. Not really all that bad a gig, considering it was punishment for twice trying to take over heaven.

The Christians have even gone so far as to invent a physical description of the Devil: half man, half goat, with horns, cloven hooves and a tail. This is of course found nowhere in the Bible; it is purely a Christian invention based on the physical description of the Roman pastoral god Pan, who was very popular with the rural Europeans at the time the early Christians were trying to gain a foothold in that area. To draw people away from Pan and his pagan followers, the Christians demonized him by giving their newly invented Devil his physical description.

An interesting aside: The only demons who were believed able to 'possess' humans were spirits with no physical form. When the producers of the movie "The Exorcist" needed a demonic figure for dramatic effect, they chose the Mesopotamian god Pazuzu, a winged demon with a deformed head, the wings of an eagle, the sharp claws of a lion on its hands and feet, and the tail of a scorpion. This demon was actually only the personification of the south-east storm wind which was believed to bring diseases. He lived in the desert and was not reported to ever have had any direct contact with humans. He got cast for the part in the movie only because of his frightening appearance. Another reputation ruined for the sake of entertainment.

The demonizing of other people's gods and religions continues even today, the pagan Wiccans for just one example, who are identified by ill-informed Christians as being demon worshippers in league with the Devil. Recently Pat Robertson during one of his frequent diatribes on his 700 Club television show said that Buddhists and Shintos and Hindus are "demon driven" and the entire evangelical movement makes the same claim about the Mormons, whose religion they refer to as a cult. Many evangelicals claim that the Pope and Mother Teressa are bound for Hell because they have not accepted Jesus as their personal savior by being 'born again,' and during the early days of our nation Catholicism was considered by many Protestants as a cult. On the other hand, Pope John Paul II recently declared that Catholicism was the only way to heaven. Go figure!

Consider: There are numerous specific writings and God knows how many lurid sermons that describe what awaits sinners in Hell: eternal fire and endless torture, physical punishment by pitchfork wielding demons, unbearable pain and suffering lasting for all eternity. Compare these with the descriptions of Heaven. About the best I could find has Heaven's inhabitants with wings wearing white robes walking on golden streets or sitting around on clouds playing harps and singing God's praises. There will be no sex in heaven according to most evangelical preachers, nothing to do but just hang out, watching Falwell and Robertson trying to kiss up to Jesus. It is obvious that the punishments awaiting sinners in Hell are of much more interest to the many Christians than the rewards awaiting the faithful in Heaven. One might go so far to to opine that seeing the sinners get their punishment is of much greater importance to them than seeing the righteous get their rewards.

Evil lies within us. We have the free will to succumb to it or to reject it, and we alone bear the responsibility for our decision. The Christian concept of forgiveness on request, like a drive-thru fast food stand, makes it too easy to sin without fear of divine retribution. Commit adultery or theft or practice deceit all week long and go to church on Sunday, be forgiven and ready and able to start clean the next day.

The renowned satirist, author and critic of organized religion, Mark Twain, wrote an excellent short story entitled "The Mysterious Stranger." In this satire Satan, named after his uncle, the biblical Satan, is himself an angel in good standing with the Heavenly Court acting as God's representative and/or agent on Earth as described in the biblical references, having apparently inherited the job after his Uncle Satan was tossed out. Satan, of course, is used in this story as a metaphor for God himself. The story is wickedly sarcastic and cynical regarding the human race, and is considered by many as one of the best satires ever written. Finally, please consider the difference between Satanists and devil worshippers. The Satanists are a pagan religion with established dogma, are not anti Christian, and do no harm. The devil worshippers are for the most part semi- literate sociopaths who believe they can gain some kind of fearful aura by identifying themselves as cohorts of the devil. They use this pseudo religion to sell pornography, to give expression to their innate hatefulness, and to attempt to acquire some kind of significant identity which would otherwise be unavailable to them. Some are so incredibly ignorant that they have actually written me congratulating me for my excellent article, having been unable to comprehend that it actually argues that the devil as an entity does not exist at all.

The author of this site will welcome any comments, questions or arguments relating to the material in the article, but pprbably will not respond to attempts by conseratives trying to prove the truth of the Old Testament by referenes to the New Testament. This is an academic debate site, and its author is not available for preaching or conversion or being born again. When writing, please refer to the site you are discussing.

Revised 06-15-01
===============
edit to add authors email and website.
robwir@earthlink.net
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~robwir/devbio.html

Last edited:

Great article. A good read.

It is really a wonderful portrayal of the idiotic ideas of not just the concept of a devil but of the whole of Christianity. A ludicrous concoction of propaganda, ignorance, superstition, and just outright myth making.

Thanks for posting.

Cris

Fox,

THE DEVIL IS THE ENEMY OF ALL MANKIND AND YOU ARE ENTRAPPED IN HIS WEB OF LIES, SPACE MONKEY FROM AUSTRALIA!!!

Sorry, Fox, but you really do set yourself up for ridicule.

Could you please post the phone number of your insane asylum so we can let them know you have esacped.

Cris

Tony:
Ah, I must disagree on a few things.

I'd expect no less.

*The snake.*

The devil.

And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
(Revelation 20:2, KJV).

*And I refer to Genesis 3:22 to support my interpretation that the snake, er, "offered" Eve knowledge.*

The knowledge was inherent in the tree.
The devil couldn't offer it, since he didn't have it.

*Look at Isaiah 14:1-4:
Not talking about Lucifer, but about an earthly king.

Great point about verses 1 to 4.
However, for verse 12 to be discussing an earthly king, that king would have to have the morning for a father.

*Actually, it seems to have been.*

Appearances can be deceiving.

*According to the early Christians, yes. But the Catholics made the devil into the king of hell. I refer you to the last chapter of the Inferno, and to Lucifer's speech in Paradise Lost:*

Since the Catholics aren't Christians, I'm at a loss as to how to integrate that into a discussion about satan who is real.
The Catholics have a veritable comic book of ideas concerning satan, hell, etc. that we really wouldn't have the time to discuss, since it took them 1600 years to develop it.

*Of course, the Catholics also regarded the devil as a "tempter". Scripturally, he is only an adversary - First Peter, 5:8*

The Catholics sometimes get things partially correct.

Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
(Matthew 4:1, KJV).

*But of course wisdom and intelligence are two different things.*

As are intelligence and cleverness.
With the semblance of wisdom, it is easy to fool some people that one also has the semblance of intelligence.

*Yes I did, spelling error.*

No biggie, but what was the point you were going to make?

*Sorry, I don't find Rev 12:9 to support your interpretation exactly. Dragons and snakes are often referred to as one and the same, and the dragon is of course a personification of the Devil.*

How about...?

And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

*You're right, I was wrong. *

There you go again.
It almost seems disarming when you do that.

*So the Scriptures refer to two different beings? Interesting.*

Not necessarily, but they seem to.

*Correctimundo.*

You seem quite certain.
Which spirit are you channeling?

*Actually, I find this passage interesting in several senses. I could ignore the equation of Satan and Lucifer as a translator's error, however I find the KJV to be a quite decent translation.*

How exactly do you "find" that?
After all, you say you "could" ignore it, however, it appears that you will not.

*Beyond that, we see that serpents and scorpions are associated with Satan. Could this be a resolution to the question of exactly what the snake of Genesis was?*

It would appear to be so.

*Devil's food cake?*

Ahh, the old sense of humor.
Yes.

*Actually, I think I am amino acids and protiens more than dust.*

However, whether you believe in evolution or creation, those amino acids and proteins came from the dust and will return to it when you die, just as described in the Bible.

*You forget that I am an athiest, and at any rate a skeptic. I do not believe in devils.*

How quaint!
I can only assume that you somehow believe that the creatures you claim not to believe in, have somehow quit believing in you.
They haven't and they have two jobs to do.
1. Deceive you
2. Destroy you

So far, they've been successful with Job #1.

*Well, it will be nice to have Tiassa pissed at you rather than at me.*

He's pissed at everything.

*Not worth the trouble, and frankly antithetical to my nature.*

Whose nature?
I have to ask, since I've noticed that non-Christian posters have a bad habit of mixing their own statements with channeled statements.
I hope you'll excuse my curiosity, since the personal statements are so often very similar to the channeled statements.

*But Wicca seems to be some sort of New-Agey Gaia-istic nature worship, while Satanism is basically a glorification of extreme egotism.*

Ultimately, both are designed to destroy you.

*Baptists? Nah, I'm an athiest, Tony seems to be a Protestant of some sort or another - perhaps aligned with the Born Again Charismatics, but I dunno.*

Not protesting against anything except evil.

Tony:
The devil.

The snake.

The knowledge was inherent in the tree.
The devil couldn't offer it, since he didn't have it.

Hence the quotation marks. Basically, the snake (who I am beginning to think ought to be regarded as a personification or servent of the Devil) told Eve how to "open her eyes".

Hmm, tempting again. An attribute of the Devil, as we've already seen, no?

And in light of 1 John 3:8
"He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil."

This is the doctrine of Origional Sin, no?

So we have something associated with the Devil offering (tempting) man - er - Eve I suppose, the knowledge of good and evil.

However, for verse 12 to be discussing an earthly king, that king would have to have the morning for a father.

Yeah, I suppose I was being overly semantic. Your interpretation makes more sense than mine.

With the semblance of wisdom, it is easy to fool some people that one also has the semblance of intelligence.

Very true. Consider the various inspirational New-Agey sayings.

No biggie, but what was the point you were going to make?

Just a bit of background on what I regard as a myth and you regard as fact. ;)

AH! They are the same entity! The same entity as Beezelbub:

"Matthew 12:24
But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
12:25
And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
12:26
And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?"

Beezelbub is Satan is Lucifer? Do you think that this intepretation makes sense?

There you go again.
It almost seems disarming when you do that.

Would you rather
"I am always right, you stupid, irrational fish-person! Haha, you are wasting your life believing in theistic gibberish and, you know, stuff"

Not my style.

I try to be quite clear about when I am wrong. I'd rather not waste time defending an undefendable hypothesis just because I can't stand being wrong.

Intellectual honesty and all that.

I might start doing it just to bug you, though.

You seem quite certain.
Which spirit are you channeling?

You are either confusing Bebelina and I, or FoxMulder has been talking to you about demons and bondage, or demon pizza, or whatever.

It would appear to be so.

A servent of the Devil?
Or the devil in snake form?

How quaint!
I can only assume that you somehow believe that the creatures you claim not to believe in, have somehow quit believing in you.
They haven't and they have two jobs to do.
1. Deceive you
2. Destroy you

Well it's always nice to have an evil force to believe in you.

I think that would make a nice "Hallmark" card.

Seriously, is there any evidence that these things exist?

Whose nature?

Musing aloud. The whole pretence of Satanism seems rather silly, and I've never been one who appreciated "arcane mysteries of the cosmos" - outside of the fiction of H.P Lovecraft.

With all due respect, Satanists strike me more as "Christians being bad" than sincere believers.

It's just as irrational to believe in Satan as it is to believe in God.

And frankly, a doctrine based on institutionalized selfishness? *Yawn*

Ummm, what exactly do you mean by "channeled statements"? Do you refer to this bit of New Age gibberish?

Come on Tony, you are too intelligent for that.

Ultimately, both are designed to destroy you.

Bah! Ultimatly, both are irrational.

Bebelina:
For an atheist Xev, you seem a bit overly concerned with what they bible contains, obsessed almost....
Why do you bother to study it so carefully if you don't believe in it anyway? Is it a great book? I can think of several others to read if amusement is the purpose, but then, maybe I'm just picky.

For several reasons, not the least of which being the rampant sex and violence.

It is a great book, although not in the sense that "1984" is a great book. It is not only history, it shapes history. It is not only a religious document, it shapes other religious documents.

And, I like to learn things.

FoxyM:

THE DEVIL IS THE ENEMY OF ALL MANKIND AND YOU ARE ENTRAPPED IN HIS WEB OF LIES, SPACE MONKEY FROM AUSTRALIA!!!"

So now Adam is stuck in demonic bondage, too?

Dude, you do need to stop watching cheap "leather and lace" movies on the Spice Channel while reading your Bible.

Yeah, we know, demon pizza and demonic ex-girlfriends.

*Originally posted by Avatar
"MYTHS, MISUNDERSTANDINGS AND MISREPRESENTATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH OLD TESTAMENT DESCRIPTIONS OF THE DEVIL, SATAN & LUCIFER. "

Luckily that disclaimer was included to describe the crock that followed.

*Originally posted by Cris
It is really a wonderful portrayal of the idiotic ideas of not just the concept of a devil but of the whole of Christianity. A ludicrous concoction of propaganda, ignorance, superstition, and just outright myth making.

Nothing to do with Christianity, but why not throw that in there just in case you could suck someone in, huh, Cris?

In case you missed it, the disclaimer STATED that all that followed were myths, misunderstandings and misrepresentations.

The snake.

This could go on for a while.
The devil IS the snake.

*Hence the quotation marks.*

Nice touch.

*Basically, the snake (who I am beginning to think ought to be regarded as a personification or servent of the Devil)*

Let's go with personification.
That way, when you consider that the snake was made into the person (what "personify" means) of the devil, you may see what is going on, unless of course, you already know.

*told Eve how to "open her eyes".*

This isn't exactly what he said either.
He said her eyes "would be" opened.
IOW, satan actually promised NOTHING AT ALL, yet people point to the great things that satan supposedly promised in the Garden, whether metaphorically or actually.

Note the cleverness of the deception.
No promise at all, yet for some reason a promise is seen by many.
Why?

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
(2 Corinthians 4:4, KJV).

*Hmm, tempting again. An attribute of the Devil, as we've already seen, no?*

Yes, but I'm not arguing against that.

*This is the doctrine of Origional Sin, no?*

I see that the words "Original" and "beginning" are somewhat related, but I'm pretty sure that the Catholics didn't have that in mind while they were developing their doctrine of Original Sin.

*So we have something associated with the Devil offering (tempting) man - er - Eve I suppose, the knowledge of good and evil.*

Sure.
The tempting, otherwise known as a test, was to see whether man - er - Eve, would obey God.
I think the result was an "F."

*Yeah, I suppose I was being overly semantic.*

You have a point to make.
However, consider the price if you win the debate.

*Consider the various inspirational New-Agey sayings.*

LOL
Of course, I'd consider them "expirational" sayings.
You'll die if you believe them.

*Just a bit of background on what I regard as a myth and you regard as fact.*

A part of a bigger plot, so to speak.
A picture of a spider nonchalantly weaving her web as the fly ponders the meaning of a strand strung from one leaf to another for no apparent reason, comes to mind.

*AH! They are the same entity! The same entity as Beezelbub:*

Of course.
I would have stated that much sooner had I realized it was an issue.

*Beezelbub is Satan is Lucifer? Do you think that this intepretation makes sense?*

Not at this point.
So far it sounds a lot like "Beezelbub is Satan is canned ham."
I get the first equation, but it may take a bit to demonstrate the second.

*Would you rather
"I am always right, you stupid, irrational fish-person! Haha, you are wasting your life believing in theistic gibberish and, you know, stuff"

I assumed that was your stance anyway.
However, I admit that it sounds so honest when you admit your error.
Mind you, I do suspect that you do not have a lot of ownership in the issues that you admit that easily.

*I might start doing it just to bug you, though.*

It doesn't bug.
It would be interesting to see if you would admit error in areas that you base your entire life on, whether wittingly or unwittingly.

*You are either confusing Bebelina and I, or FoxMulder has been talking to you about demons and bondage, or demon pizza, or whatever.*

I cast out demons, and occasionally they make statements like that in an effort to maintain their ownership of a person.
A certain appearance of certainty is an essential part of some forms of deception, so when I see an expression of certainty in an area where such certainty is untenable, then I get curious.

*A servent of the Devil?
Or the devil in snake form?

Devil in snake form.
After all, the devil is a spirit, and as such is not visible to ordinary vision.

*Well it's always nice to have an evil force to believe in you*

You seem unaware of the difference in meaning between "nice" and "evil."

*Seriously, is there any evidence that these things exist?*

Of course.
They explain what they're about when one asks.

*The whole pretence of Satanism seems rather silly, and I've never been one who appreciated "arcane mysteries of the cosmos" - outside of the fiction of H.P Lovecraft.*

How do you know where the fiction ends and reality begins?
Your assumption has always been that HPL was a fiction writer therefore what he wrote was fiction.
But what if he was instead only a stenographer taking dictation?

*With all due respect, Satanists strike me more as "Christians being bad" than sincere believers.*

You're probably correct to a certain extent.
After all, the Catholic paraphernalia and ritual would only appeal to Catholics who are familiar with them.

*It's just as irrational to believe in Satan as it is to believe in God.*

Only where rationality is limited to the five senses.

*And frankly, a doctrine based on institutionalized selfishness? *Yawn**

Maybe so, but wouldn't it appeal to selfish people?

*Ummm, what exactly do you mean by "channeled statements"? Do you refer to this bit of New Age gibberish?*

Interesting link, but no.
I use the term "channeling" simply because a fair number of people are familiar with the term.
I use it to refer specifically to demons speaking while using a person's vocal cords.
While a demon might be considered a "spirit entity," that term has too many non-evil connotations to be valid for what is really going on.

*Come on Tony, you are too intelligent for that.*

Ah, Xev, you are too intelligent to take such a pooh-pooh attitude for something so common.
Of course, a person would have to have some idea of what their agenda is, to actually notice them carrying it out.

*Bah! Ultimatly, both are irrational.*

Only if "irrational" means contrary to reason.
Of course, you should realize that it is contrary to reason, for life to result in death.

Tony:
The devil IS the snake.

Snakes are associated with the devil, and seem to be his "servents", but I don't think it's been shown yet that the devil is the snake.

This isn't exactly what he said either.
He said her eyes "would be" opened.
IOW, satan actually promised NOTHING AT ALL, yet people point to the great things that satan supposedly promised in the Garden, whether metaphorically or actually.

Damn.....that's slick.

The tempting, otherwise known as a test, was to see whether man - er - Eve, would obey God.
I think the result was an "F."

I think so.
Although it's worth mentioning that the serpent is the one who told the truth - neither Adam or Eve died.

Unless you claim that since "the wages of sin are death"....

Hmm, you know, this is all beginning to make sense.

You have a point to make.
However, consider the price if you win the debate.

Ummm, I wasn't aware that there was a debate.

I mean, the snake is the devil, the snake isn't the devil, Leda was a redhead, Leda was blonde, who cares?

Of course, I'd consider them "expirational" sayings.
You'll die if you believe them.

Or walk around smelling of patchuli (pakuli? patchkuli?) oil and talking about the Mother Goddess.

I think death would be preferable. :p

Not at this point.
So far it sounds a lot like "Beezelbub is Satan is canned ham."
I get the first equation, but it may take a bit to demonstrate the second.

So, we're trying to decide whether Lucifer and Satan are the same being?

Okay, we have Lucifer, cast out of heaven for his rebellion against God.
Satan, the destroyer and opposer, the "adversary" who walks about "seeking to devour".

The Muslims say that these two are one and the same.

But what do the Christians say?

We have an origen for Lucifer, but not for Satan -all we know is that he "sinneth from the beginning" (1 John 3:8).

Could Lucifer's rebellion be this "sin"?

I'm tending to think that Lucifer and Satan are either the same being, or are the results of different - er, what I would call "myths".

I assumed that was your stance anyway.

Grrrr! No! I don't assume that all theists are morons.
If I did assume that about you, I would not really have bothered. I would start blathering about the Invisible Pink Unicorn, the Great Cthulhu and posting in the standard BIG BLUE LETTERS.

I think you're rather intelligent. I'm just, at a loss. Believing in God is one thing, but, demons? Demonic possession?

Why do you believe such things? And are you just pulling some wierd "net prank" pretending to believe in them?

Mind you, I do suspect that you do not have a lot of ownership in the issues that you admit that easily.

True enough. This is more a subject that I seek to learn about and clarify, rather than to really debate.

It would be interesting to see if you would admit error in areas that you base your entire life on, whether wittingly or unwittingly.

Logic, reason, skepticism and my own personal existentialism? Yeah, I'd probably be quite a bit more defensive.

I cast out demons, and occasionally they make statements like that in an effort to maintain their ownership of a person.
A certain appearance of certainty is an essential part of some forms of deception, so when I see an expression of certainty in an area where such certainty is untenable, then I get curious.

Umm, okay. I am using Windoze 98, that could be the problem.

Certainty? I think I agree with Socrates, who was only certain of one thing:
That he could not be certain of anything.

Devil in snake form.
After all, the devil is a spirit, and as such is not visible to ordinary vision.

I think that's a good resolution.

Of course.
They explain what they're about when one asks.

I've never seen a demon. I've never seen any pictures of demons. I've never seen any physical evidence that demons exist.

So I'm rather skeptical of the claim that they explain anything.

How do you know where the fiction ends and reality begins?

Generally when things start to involve interstellar squid-dragon monsters being worshipped by nonexistant cults, I suspect "fiction".

Interesting link, but no.
I use the term "channeling" simply because a fair number of people are familiar with the term.
I use it to refer specifically to demons speaking while using a person's vocal cords.
While a demon might be considered a "spirit entity," that term has too many non-evil connotations to be valid for what is really going on.

You are serious?
Why? What makes you believe in somthing so....unusual?

Ah, Xev, you are too intelligent to take such a pooh-pooh attitude for something so common.
Of course, a person would have to have some idea of what their agenda is, to actually notice them carrying it out.

What agenda? Demons? You're actually suggesting that they exist? And that they have an agenda? And that I am somehow involved?

Dude, if I'd seen a demon or whatnot, I wouldn't be an athiest.

Only if "irrational" means contrary to reason.
Of course, you should realize that it is contrary to reason, for life to result in death.

Well, does not all life end in death?

I don't think it's been shown yet that the devil is the snake.

*Damn.....that's slick.*

That's deception.
Nothing to it.

*Although it's worth mentioning that the serpent is the one who told the truth - neither Adam or Eve died.*

Not so fast.

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
(2 Peter 3:8, KJV).

And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
(Genesis 5:5, KJV).

930 is less than 1000.

*Ummm, I wasn't aware that there was a debate.*

There is, but you may not be aware of it.

*Or walk around smelling of patchuli (pakuli? patchkuli?) oil and talking about the Mother Goddess.*

You've met tiassa?

*I think death would be preferable.*

Me? I think life would be preferable.
Does anybody call that New Age stuff life?

*So, we're trying to decide whether Lucifer and Satan are the same being?*

I wasn't, but it seems as tho you are.

*Okay, we have Lucifer, cast out of heaven for his rebellion against God.
Satan, the destroyer and opposer, the "adversary" who walks about "seeking to devour".

Yes.
Let's look at that in more detail.

And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
(Revelation 12:10, KJV).

There appears to be some difference how they came down.

*The Muslims say that these two are one and the same.*

The Muslims also say...

---But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.---
(Sura 9, KORAN).

Note the underlined words, which go a long way in explaining 9/11.

*We have an origen for Lucifer, but not for Satan -all we know is that he "sinneth from the beginning" (1 John 3:8).

Could Lucifer's rebellion be this "sin"?

Well, isn't "the beginning" an origin?
Lucifer is described as a son of the morning.

Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.
(Job 1:6, KJV).

Rather than describing satan as a son of God, he is described as coming among them.

*I'm tending to think that Lucifer and Satan are either the same being, or are the results of different - er, what I would call "myths".*

You're in a bit of a pickle.
"Being" implies existence.
If you call the two "beings," you are saying they exist.
If they are myth, then they aren't beings.

*Grrrr! No! I don't assume that all theists are morons.*

Oops, I didn't see the "moron" thing.
But reading between the lines, you believe all the other stuff?

*If I did assume that about you, I would not really have bothered.*

Thanks?

*I would start blathering about the Invisible Pink Unicorn, the Great Cthulhu and posting in the standard BIG BLUE LETTERS.*

As I recall, I made your acquaintance discussing cthulhu in great detail.

*I think you're rather intelligent. I'm just, at a loss. Believing in God is one thing, but, demons? Demonic possession?

Why do you believe such things? And are you just pulling some wierd "net prank" pretending to believe in them?

No prank.
Since I cast them out, I run into demons on a regular basis.
Since they take take exception to being cast out of people, they claim legal right to possession on various bases, including nothing at all, i.e they lie.

*True enough. This is more a subject that I seek to learn about and clarify, rather than to really debate.*

OK.
That stands to reason, since the stakes are life and death.
Some have made their choice death, hence the tendency to battle.

*Logic, reason, skepticism and my own personal existentialism? Yeah, I'd probably be quite a bit more defensive.*

No doubt, but those are the things you should really be questioning since they consist of a lot of assumptions.
Your expressed statements don't consist of assumptions as much since they are based on reason as applied to your premises.
However, since you use reason to arrive at conclusions, shouldn't you make sure that what you call reason is in fact reason?

*Umm, okay. I am using Windoze 98, that could be the problem.*

It's bad, but I don't think it's that bad.

*Certainty? I think I agree with Socrates, who was only certain of one thing:
That he could not be certain of anything.

That's what happens when you think like the following...

---He was beginning to grow cold about the groin, when he uncovered his face, for he had covered himself up, and said--they were his last words--he said: "Crito, I owe a cock to Asclepius; (1) will you remember to pay the debt?---
-- Phaedo (Jowett)

*I've never seen a demon. I've never seen any pictures of demons. I've never seen any physical evidence that demons exist.*

They're spirits, so physical evidence is limited.
Until someone invents a camera that works spiritually, there won't be many pictures of demons around.
The only evidence that most people are likely to have of demons is the statements they make using their possessions' mouths.

*So I'm rather skeptical of the claim that they explain anything.*

Understandably.
However, they respond when asked with authority.
Since you're not Christian, you are subject to them so they aren't likely to do anything you ask at all.

*Generally when things start to involve interstellar squid-dragon monsters being worshipped by nonexistant cults, I suspect "fiction".*

So funny!!
LOL!!
You think "fiction" because you don't even suspect "dictation."
Dictation doesn't have to be true, you know.

*You are serious?
Why? What makes you believe in somthing so....unusual?

It isn't unusual in the least.
There are few things more common.

*What agenda? Demons? You're actually suggesting that they exist? And that they have an agenda? And that I am somehow involved?*

Your destruction.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Oh yes, you are the one they are trying to destroy.
Among others, mind you.

*Dude, if I'd seen a demon or whatnot, I wouldn't be an athiest.*

You are definitely correct on that account.
They know that, too.

*Well, does not all life end in death? *

Mine won't.

Tony:

Okay okay. I still don't see why the "old serpent" has to be the same serpent that tempted Eve.

930 is less than 1000.

I'm sorry, could you clarify?

There is, but you may not be aware of it.

I'm not aware of it.

You've met tiassa?

I ain't going there.

But my town is a hotbed of New-Agey type people. Drives me insane.

Have you any idea how difficult it is to get a steak? Or to have to stand the stench of cheap incense? Or....right, no ranting.

Me? I think life would be preferable.
Does anybody call that New Age stuff life?

Life is almost always preferable to death.
Some make it the basis of theirs.

There appears to be some difference how they came down.

You think there is a real difference between "fallen" and "cast down" ?

Rather than describing satan as a son of God, he is described as coming among them.

True, true, but where does that leave us?

You're in a bit of a pickle.
"Being" implies existence.
If you call the two "beings," you are saying they exist.
If they are myth, then they aren't beings.

Alleged beings, then. I do not believe in their existance. But I might refer to Isis or Osiris as a being, for the sake of discussing Egyptian mythology.

I don't belive in Isis or Osiris either.

Oops, I didn't see the "moron" thing.
But reading between the lines, you believe all the other stuff?

No. I don't believe in Cthulhu or the invisible pink unicorn. I do think that you are a rather intelligent man, and I enjoy our debates.

As I recall, I made your acquaintance discussing cthulhu in great detail.

Ha ha! Yes! I believe you called the Great Old One a demon, and made reference to squishing him.

Since I cast them out, I run into demons on a regular basis.
Since they take take exception to being cast out of people, they claim legal right to possession on various bases, including nothing at all, i.e they lie.

They what?

OK.
That stands to reason, since the stakes are life and death.
Some have made their choice death, hence the tendency to battle.

I don't follow - battle for death? Why would one battle in order to die?

Outside of the philosophy of Bushido or Fredrich Nietzshe, that is.

No doubt, but those are the things you should really be questioning since they consist of a lot of assumptions.

Very true. I base my reliance on logic on circular reasoning - logic is good because it is logical. Also because I've seen more people err from illogical thinking than to err from logical thinking. Skepticism because it helps me get rid of a lot of error. Believing the first thing that you are told without proof will not help one live a good life, or to discover anything true.

Existentialism is more of a label that describes my approach to life, specifically Camus' concept of the Absurd. This stems from my athiesm and disbelief in an afterlife, which stems from skepticism and logic.

---He was beginning to grow cold about the groin, when he uncovered his face, for he had covered himself up, and said--they were his last words--he said: "Crito, I owe a cock to Asclepius; (1) will you remember to pay the debt?---
-- Phaedo (Jowett)

Yes, this about describes Socrates' approach to life. Asclepius was the Greek god of health.

He is basically saying that his life has been one long illness, and that he owes the doctor for keeping him alive for so long.

At least, that is Nietzshe's interpretation, which I agree with.

The only evidence that most people are likely to have of demons is the statements they make using their possessions' mouths.

Could this not be the result of mental illness on the "possession's" part?

Since you're not Christian, you are subject to them so they aren't likely to do anything you ask at all.

I am subject to no-one but the laws of the United States of America and the demands of morality.

Oh yes, you are the one they are trying to destroy.
Among others, mind you.

Why? Okay, stipulating the existance of demons and whatnot, why bother with me? I'm an athiest. I'm damned already.

You are definitely correct on that account.
They know that, too.

Then they would be hiding from me?

Mine won't.

Good for you.

Edit to clarify life as almost always preferable to death.

Back