Long Life Spans: “Adam Lived 930 Years and Then He Died”

I am absolutely lost in all these [imo] frustratingly ridiculous questions... what rational reason in this Universe would you have for asking all of them?

Unlike you, I don't have ALL the answers. :D

MarcAC said:
All depends on what you know about how the rotation rate has slowed over time.

Marc, could you stop being so evasive please? I am interested to know exactly how you interpret the story of Adam, what you know about Earth's orbital period over time, and why you think it is relevant to possible changes in human life-span.

Laika said:
Marc, could you stop being so evasive please? I am interested to know exactly how you interpret the story of Adam, what you know about Earth's orbital period over time, and why you think it is relevant to possible changes in human life-span.
Never mind - you have good reason to see no correlation between the statement and the implied trend in human ages.

I see the error in the original post you replied to. Don't ask me why my thinking was so "reversed" at the time... ;)

Otherwise you appear to be somewhat aware of the mechanisms themselves and (hopefully) how scientists get their numbers so I'll leave it at that - all related posts previous to this and following that error (from me at least) can be considered defunct.

-

That given:

The simple fact that our environment is dynamic enough that days and years were once shorter, irrespective of the the numbers involved, surely makes a re-examination of lifespans in the past far from absurd.

The results of the various facets of research presented by the Reason's scientists clearly, illustrate how things may have been different - specifically in terms of genetics - in the past.

While they speculate in terms of the relevance of the results to the Biblical record, their speculation is justified (however hard it is for an atheist to accept it's justification).

If the text is given a thorough read (which I sincerely doubt has been the case for most who've posted on this thread), one will notice the care taken with regards to the language used by the scientists.

These results only go towards encouraging people to hang on to their faith as evidence only contribute to verifying it in the long run.

What I believe regarding Adam and Eve needs not be disclosed in this context. It try to speak for all Christians.

MarcAC said:

The simple fact that our environment is dynamic enough that days and years were once shorter, irrespective of the the numbers involved, surely makes a re-examination of lifespans in the past far from absurd.

It is absurd. Even if the days and years were once shorter, does that mean we can't compare them to the length of the day and year now, and show that 900 years then is the equivalent to 35 years now?

(Q) said:
It is absurd. Even if the days and years were once shorter, does that mean we can't compare them to the length of the day and year now, and show that 900 years then is the equivalent to 35 years now?
Heh, you are never serious are you? :D I'll remember that...

Good one though... we all have our days here at Sciforums...

Well, it would be nice if you theists could get your timelines straight. First, it's one day equals a thousand years, according to the explanations of Genesis. Now, its shorter days and years in the past to explain 900 year old beings.

The Earth appears to be a whirling dervish when it suits the psalm du jour.

Back