Life begins. . .

Irrelevant.
Cells can die just like hair and nails.
But they are not alive in the same sense a fused egg is.
Right?

nonsense! Every cell in your body is alive, it may not have the worth of the full and complete existance of a humen life to you but its still alive.

by the way hair and fingernails are not alive, they are just protein: Keratin proteins in fibrous or slab forms, it does not replicate on its own or produce it own metabolism.

I disagree. Life does not happen ‘when the sperm fuses with the egg’ . A number of organisms reproduce without sperm. You may want to change your statement to ‘life happens when the egg is fertilised’.

Pacific Slender-toed Gecko Nactus pelagicus (83c)
Unlike the vast majority of geckos, the Pacific Slender-toed Gecko has thin, skink-like toes. Although very little is known of its ecology, this gecko is most commonly found under logs and litter on the forest floor and perhaps the slender toes means that it is mainly a terrestrial species. However, field observations indicate it does commonly climb on the lower branches of trees and shrubs. In addition to its peculiar toes, this gecko is peculiar in not having ‘smooth scales’, instead it has several longitudinal lines of bumps all down its back. Like all Fiji’s geckos this is a nocturnal species which is widely distributed through the Fijian islands. This is also an all-female species which reproduces through parthenogenesis.

In fact, there are hundreds of species that have no use for males, including other insects, lizards, snakes, and fish (although no mammals have discarded the male). The females reproduce by laying unfertilized eggs that contain copies of their own genes. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/07/0702_wirefemalemites.html

Also your logic would mean that non-fertilised individuals of haplo-diploid would not be alive, and then what about embryo cloning?
Interestingly Dr. Michael West, president and CEO of Advanced Cell Technology Inc. of Worcester, Massachusetts said about stem cell cloning on the CNN's "Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer," "We're talking about making human cellular life, not a human life,"

"The females reproduce by laying unfertilized eggs that contain copies of their own genes."
So when does life begin for those geckos?
So for humans, and other mammals, life begins when the sperm meets the egg right?

It begins when a horny teen decides that he will pull out in time and all will be ok.

Actually pulling out in time reduces the chances of a pregnancy to 1/6 or 15% chance of pregnancy during a year of sexual activity using this method as compared to 90% from totally normal sex. Of course a condom reduces it to 1/45 or 2%.

I don’t see the need to tie ‘life’ to the constitution of DNA or RNA, after all viruses is not considered alive. Perhaps it would be better to say that life begins when the first division takes place? I find ‘life’ a somewhat unscientific concept, and one which is highly dependent on the current cultures values.

Do people agree that if life starts in a female mammal when her egg meets and greets a mammal sperm, that this would also be when life starts for a mammalian egg in a test tube?

An egg or sperm was never dead or not life. They were part of one life form, and the fusion of egg and sperm simply creates a new individual.

Viruses may not be 'alive', but they are 'life'.

weebee said:
I don?t see the need to tie ?life? to the constitution of DNA or RNA, after all viruses is not considered alive. Perhaps it would be better to say that life begins when the first division takes place? I find ?life? a somewhat unscientific concept, and one which is highly dependent on the current cultures values.

Do people agree that if life starts in a female mammal when her egg meets and greets a mammal sperm, that this would also be when life starts for a mammalian egg in a test tube?

nope viruses are not consider alive, I know you feel differently about it spuriousmonkey and so do many other scientist but the majority of the scientific community do not consider viruses alive.

I beg to differ. It is just your opinion that the majority of the scientific community considers them to be part of life.

I certainly haven't heard this statement yet from any virologist. And they should know.

WellCookedFetus said:
nope viruses are not consider alive, I know you feel differently about it spuriousmonkey and so do many other scientist but the majority of the scientific community do not consider viruses alive.

And don't twist my words please.

spuriousmonkey said:
Viruses may not be 'alive', but they are 'life'.

Last edited:
Well I heard it from mine (virology professor) the virus particles them selves are not alive, they can only come to life in the host. If you find a frozen insect, despite the fact that it can come to life when its warmed up is it alive while its frozen?

it is true then that europe is more openminded than the US.

See you in LA on friday.

WellCookedFetus said:
Well I heard it from mine (virology professor) the virus particles them selves are not alive, they can only come to life in the host. If you find a frozen insect, despite the fact that it can come to life when its warmed up is it alive while its frozen?

Taking cool skill’s definition of life
metabolism, growth, reproduction, and response to stimuli or adaptation to the environment originating from within the organism.

My reason for taking the first division as life’s starting point was based on that being the point when reproduction and growth takes place.

I think there might be another high school requirement for life –feeding (nutrients). In which case life does not start until the egg is implanted. :confused:

Back