"Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life"

That is not true. I have read about God alot, and when younger even tried to percieve it in a spirit of openness. The process is not claimed to be complex.

Ah hah,
Unless one had faith to begin with one wouldn't go through the austerity of learning organic chemistry
But the fact remains that anyone could. Wether they would follow through with the exercise is irrelevent. Science is so strong that it encourages the skeptical, something that most religions seem afraid to do.

spidergoat
That is not true. I have read about God alot, and when younger even tried to percieve it in a spirit of openness. The process is not claimed to be complex.

Ah hah,
But the fact remains that anyone could. Wether they would follow through with the exercise is irrelevent. Science is so strong that it encourages the skeptical, something that most religions seem afraid to do.
so despite currently being "faithless" you have no reservations about dedicating 30-50 hours a week to the study of god, paying tuition fees, for a minimum period of three years?

This isn't about the practical side of learning chemistry. There is no intellectual impediment.

As far as I know, there is no complex technical backround to the idea of God.

spidergoat
This isn't about the practical side of learning chemistry. There is no intellectual impediment.
You are right - what would impede learning organic chemistry is faith - ie not seeing the value in undergoing the austerities of such further education. (And the common result is that people accept the claims of organic chemists - eg kreb cycle- on faith - that is despite having an absence of direct perception on the subject they accept the evidential claims of organic chemistry as factual)
As far as I know, there is no complex technical backround to the idea of God.
Even starting a fire with flint shards has a methodology - if you don't kno w the methodology its not uncommon for the direct perception also to be unknown.

You are right - what would impede learning organic chemistry is faith - ie not seeing the value in undergoing the austerities of such further education. (And the common result is that people accept the claims of organic chemists - eg kreb cycle- on faith - that is despite having an absence of direct perception on the subject they accept the evidential claims of organic chemistry as factual)

When are you going to stop using this comparison? Everybody knows that science operates out of existing observable phenomenon. Everybody knows that science operates on a thing called evidence and that science would not make claims without evidence.

Every rational person also knows religions make claims based on no evidence. It is simple poetry, fictional stories, embelished half truths and mere philisophy accepted as dogmatic truth. Fundamentally, science and religion are complete opposites which is why your comparisons are flawed. This is only to be expected of a theist stamping their feet insisting it really is logical... which is funny :D

I don't accept the kerbs cycle on faith, I don't accept it at all without knowing what it is. You can accept something tentatively for the sake of argument while maintaining a healthy scepticism, an idea foriegn to most religions.

Tell me, do you accept the common narrative about how a car works without knowing exactly how the transmission operates? Do you know all about the properties of the metal? How it was cast, the grain structure and the chrome finish?

KennyJC
When are you going to stop using this comparison? Everybody knows that science operates out of existing observable phenomenon.
Even though everyone knows this, they don't observe it - in otherwords there is still th eissue of who is doing the observation
Everybody knows that science operates on a thing called evidence and that science would not make claims without evidence.
you mean like epicycles in ptolemic astronomy and such?

Every rational person also knows religions make claims based on no evidence. It is simple poetry, fictional stories, embelished half truths and mere philisophy accepted as dogmatic truth. Fundamentally, science and religion are complete opposites which is why your comparisons are flawed. This is only to be expected of a theist stamping their feet insisting it really is logical... which is funny :D
this is the view of an atheist which explains why they are an atheist

spidergoat
I don't accept the kerbs cycle on faith, I don't accept it at all without knowing what it is.
How much of the various fields of science are you directly or even theoretically familiar with?

You can accept something tentatively for the sake of argument while maintaining a healthy scepticism, an idea foriegn to most religions.
thats because it is a logical necessity given the limitations of empiricism
Tell me, do you accept the common narrative about how a car works without knowing exactly how the transmission operates? Do you know all about the properties of the metal? How it was cast, the grain structure and the chrome finish?
Not at all - but I am confident that persons in the metal fabrication industry are

lightgigantic said:
How much of the various fields of science are you directly or even theoretically familiar with?
Are you trying to establish my credibility? It doesn't matter.

I like the study of evolution, genes, anthropology. I worked for a start-up scientific research company. I know a few scientists personally, including the inventor of the blackest thing ever created, another who discovered a new class of giant magnetoresistance materials, another who makes pure silver teapots in his kitchen using silicone molds and electrodeposition. I know that Faraday's law can be used to predict the exact amount of material deposited on a mold during electroforming. These kind of practical, observable, repeatable predictions are the kind of thing that makes me think that science is an effective tool for learning about the physical world.

lightgigantic said:
Not at all - but I am confident that persons in the metal fabrication industry are..
Because the car works.

I have skepticism about my rejection of religion. I think Jesus was right about alot of things, but not in the way that is commonly accepted. I think the mind can be coaxed into certain states that may ultimately be rewarding, I accept that religions like shamanism may have discovered a hidden universe inside one's mind, and certain practicers of mainstream religion are extraordinarily insightful. That's because the power is in the people, not the religion.

But no one who merely experiences something personally deserves credibility on that basis alone. People tend to have hallucinations, to hear voices in the wind and water, to undergo mental stress and illness, to not get enough sleep. All these things are possible explanations for any religious experience. If you want to treat personal experience as a data point, the hypothesis that God created it is only one of many, and not the most plausable.

-If God is the supreme designer, why do animals contain all sorts of flaws that could only occur through evolution of existing parts.
God isn't the supreme engineer, though indirectly you could say so, the flaws in animals are the effect of a previous cause (karma).

Since animals do contain many imperfections that could only be explained by evolution, then evolution is the more likely theory. The best religion can do is say that God started the process going, and never personally designed any creature.
Evolution is true to some extent, but incomplete and lacking, since our knowledge is still incomplete and lacking.

In addition, there are many social reasons why religion would exist and persist. As a means of social control, to reinforce order and hiearchy. As an evolution from primitive myth. As a common language of metaphor. As entertainment. As an excuse to have holidays.
The social reasons you speak of really only apply to the Catholic Church. Prior to this religions existed for many other reasons.

I am sure theists use the same judgement for extravagant claims of which there is no evidence for - Do you know worshippers of the celestial teapot are wrong? I know claims of the celestial teapot are BS. Do you?
The celestial teapot idea was thought up just as an atheistic argument, therefore we can be pretty certain that they are wrong, since there are no celestial teapot worshippers, it is simply an idea thought up to prove theists wrong.

Fire said:
There may also be a celestial teapot circling the sun between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. It just so happens nobody wishes there to be a teapot in orbit of the sun. We do however, want there to be a soul, an afterlife, or a god. Just because we wish these things to be true doesn't mean they have any more chance of existing than the celestial teapot - which of course, doesn't exist.
Your analogy makes no sense. Thats like me saying the possibility of an unknown planet existing is the same as the possibility of a celestial teapot existing.

The fact is that neurologists still don't know what causes consciousness and how we gain consciousness, making an immaterial mind or soul much more plausible than a celestial teapot, since the area is still UNKNOWN.

Fire said:
There can be no evidence gathering of a celestial teapot either. So to hypothesis of such a thing is totally irrelevant before real evidence of such a phenomenon is shown. There can be no evidence gathering for something that doesn't exist of course...
But evidence of some type can be gathered for anything if it really exists. The only difference is that atheists choose to forcefully reject any evidence of any kind.

If I some how provided concrete, undeniable evidence of a soul, God, or afterlife, you would hear a bunch of atheists coming on saying they KNOW its all a hoax some how.

Eventually the soul-mind will be proven true, if it really is true.

Scriptures of the past said that in reality only an instant exists, all imaginable realities are happening at once, reality has no independant existence, etc...eventually this was proven true, however in the past it was laughable, false, etc...

Fire said:
Yes, the reason for that is that if we didn't, we would be inventing things from nothing. I think scientists will leave that to religion.
Actually all of the greatest scientists were the ones that revealed real new knowledge, beyond our current realm of thinking. They too were continously ridiculed, challenged, laughed at, etc....

Fire said:
Science and knowledge are progressive tools. Not that I'd expect someone of the abara-cadabera religious persuasion to understand that important fact.
Actually, I previously stated that science is great and useful, but still incomplete. However I wouldn't expect an atheist who believes he already knows it all to understand this. They cannot handle the fact that whatever he currently believes in science is probably completely WRONG or incomplete in some manner.

Fire said:
Because at least science - despite its fallability - gives us a certain degree of evidence that gives something credability. With religion there is simply none.
There's a fallacy in this. There's no clear evidence that God as described by the scriptures, or a soul, or an afterlife are false.

Also what you're saying is that if you lived in the 1600s you would be certain that the Sun revolves around the Earth, because the evidence at the time pointed to this being true.

God isn't the supreme engineer, though indirectly you could say so, the flaws in animals are the effect of a previous cause (karma).

A fantasy to which there is no supporting evidence.

Evolution is true to some extent, but incomplete and lacking, since our knowledge is still incomplete and lacking.

A logical fallacy called an appeal to incredulity. You can't explain it, therefore it must be incomplete or lacking.

The social reasons you speak of really only apply to the Catholic Church. Prior to this religions existed for many other reasons.

The social reason he wrote of apply to all religions. I've yet to see a religion that didn't conform to one or more of these social reasons at least in part. There may be additional reasons for religious superstition, but it would seem he's named the most prominent. Is there and extant or extinct religion that you know of that doesn't have one or more of these social reasons?

The celestial teapot idea was thought up just as an atheistic argument, therefore we can be pretty certain that they are wrong, since there are no celestial teapot worshippers, it is simply an idea thought up to prove theists wrong.

And yet, the celestial teapot argument still stands. You cannot disprove nor prove its existence or lack thereof. The same standards apply to theistic mythology and superstition. The various gods of humanity can neither be proved or disproved in the exact same way as the celestial teapot. Just because you don't like the argument doesn't mean you can simply dismiss it. It holds.

The fact is that neurologists still don't know what causes consciousness and how we gain consciousness, making an immaterial mind or soul much more plausible than a celestial teapot, since the area is still UNKNOWN.

More argument from personal incredulity. Just because something is unknown, doesn't mean there are supernatural forces at work. There need not be a god applied as explanation just because one human (or even all) can't fathom the explanation. Moreover, I'd suggest that science has more understanding and evidence of the nature of consciousness than you know or wish to admit. But even if it didn't, not knowing in no way, shape, or form suggests that there is any more plausibility to a "soul" than a celestial teapot.

But evidence of some type can be gathered for anything if it really exists. The only difference is that atheists choose to forcefully reject any evidence of any kind.

Precisely. Yet, the superstitious go on with their claims of the supernatural with regards to all manner of gods, angels and zombie saviors. Without a shred of evidence. There isn't even a shred of real evidence that can be rejected, so your comment about atheists is not valid. It is the freethinker and the critical minded that reject unsupported supernatural claims and the evidence of ancient poets. And rightfully so.

If I some how provided concrete, undeniable evidence of a soul, God, or afterlife, you would hear a bunch of atheists coming on saying they KNOW its all a hoax some how.

Really. Show it instead of speculating. What would this "concrete, undeniable evidence" be like? A bit difficult to describe something that doesn't apparently exist, eh? But if it did, and it was "concrete" and "undeniable" enough that it could be tested or at least potentially falsified, then it should be enough. No longer would the concept of "souls," "gods," "afterlives" and the like be proved, but they would no longer be considered supernatural, since they would now have natural explanations.

Eventually the soul-mind will be proven true, if it really is true.

I wouldn't hold my breath. But I'm willing to be surprised. I hope you're right.

Scriptures of the past said that in reality only an instant exists, all imaginable realities are happening at once, reality has no independant existence, etc...eventually this was proven true, however in the past it was laughable, false, etc...

There are no "scriptures" worth their weight in paper or papyrus. Not a one. Each has their flaws, mainly that they were authored by superstitious cult leaders that had the task of containing their adherents. Not only are every holy scripture I've ever read filled with internal inconsistencies and flaws, but cross-culturally they are often inconsistent among themselves as well as contradictory. This immediately implies that at least some if not most are wrong, before even identifying internal inconsistencies and flaws.

Scriptures discarded to the bin. On to the next "evidence."

Actually, I previously stated that science is great and useful, but still incomplete. However I wouldn't expect an atheist who believes he already knows it all to understand this. They cannot handle the fact that whatever he currently believes in science is probably completely WRONG or incomplete in some manner.

I'm sure there are some ignorant and undereducated atheists out there. But educated freethinkers -the critically minded- already understand that science is incomplete. Were it to be complete, it wouldn't be called science but history. But to suggest that whatever is currently believed in science is "probably completely wrong" demonstrates ignorance and under-education if it is truly believed. Incomplete, yes. Probably wrong -not by a long shot. If this were even close to being true, the various sciences wouldn't be so interconnected and supporting. Biology informs psychology. Physics informs chemistry. Chemistry informs biology. And so on. This is but one proof that science is getting it right -and anti-science types are unable to show otherwise.

There's a fallacy in this. There's no clear evidence that God as described by the scriptures, or a soul, or an afterlife are false.

There's a fallacy in this. It's called begging the question. God is real because it's defined by a myth. The myth is real because it's defined by god. Poppycock.

Also what you're saying is that if you lived in the 1600s you would be certain that the Sun revolves around the Earth, because the evidence at the time pointed to this being true.

What he's saying is that there is a collection of methods of discovering truth that involves observation and testing which allows for itself to be revised and corrected over time, regardless of the "truths" held. These methods are called science. Religion abhors such methods, as they are inherently skeptical and inquisitive -two things that bring heresy to religious superstition faster than Doubting Thomas ever could have.

Spider goat

Originally Posted by lightgigantic

Are you trying to establish my credibility? It doesn't matter.
You said that you didn't accept the kreb cycle because you were not directly familiar with it - I was indicating how if thats the rule you want to work with, it appears that you are also probably not familiar with well over 75% of what goes down in science, even if you have been formally trained in one of its spheres ... where doe sthat leave you in regard to the remainder of science outside of your direct perception and verification?
I like the study of evolution, genes, anthropology. I worked for a start-up scientific research company. I know a few scientists personally, including the inventor of the blackest thing ever created, another who discovered a new class of giant magnetoresistance materials, another who makes pure silver teapots in his kitchen using silicone molds and electrodeposition.
So how does personal relationship fit into this? For instance if I had acquaintances who had direct perception of god how does that help me if all I accept my own direct perception?

I know that Faraday's law can be used to predict the exact amount of material deposited on a mold during electroforming. These kind of practical, observable, repeatable predictions are the kind of thing that makes me think that science is an effective tool for learning about the physical world.
Despite all this you have to rely on faith to determine the truth/falsity of the kreb cycle - why?

Originally Posted by lightgigantic
Not at all - but I am confident that persons in the metal fabrication industry are..

Because the car works.
And why don't the processes advocated by saintly persons for the direct perception of god work.... in fact I bet you would be hard pressed to even determine what processes a saintly person offers (ie what are the essential practices of a progressive theist) much less be able to offer relevant criticisms of why they don't work.
I have skepticism about my rejection of religion. I think Jesus was right about alot of things, but not in the way that is commonly accepted. I think the mind can be coaxed into certain states that may ultimately be rewarding, I accept that religions like shamanism may have discovered a hidden universe inside one's mind, and certain practicers of mainstream religion are extraordinarily insightful. That's because the power is in the people, not the religion.
Its not clear why you view something of a perceivable result or symptom of religiousity yet for some reason back down from assigning any credibility to the process of religion
But no one who merely experiences something personally deserves credibility on that basis alone. People tend to have hallucinations, to hear voices in the wind and water, to undergo mental stress and illness, to not get enough sleep. All these things are possible explanations for any religious experience. If you want to treat personal experience as a data point, the hypothesis that God created it is only one of many, and not the most plausable.
a person claims they have seen something
a person claims that by undergoing a certain process one can also perceive that something

what credibility does a person have who decries what the person has seen but does not participate (or even display knowledge of) the process?

This is why I use the eg of the high school drop out vs the electron all the time when the atheistic argument "The evidence that god is false is that if you don't accept the process for knowing god , god appears false".

I understand that this eg irritates certain posters here, but then I find the repetitive appeal of atheists that warrant such an eg also irritating to a degree

Last edited:
A fantasy to which there is no supporting evidence.
The flaws in animals being the effects of previous causes is fantasy? Woah, all-knowing one, you know it all already!!!

SkinWalker said:
A logical fallacy called an appeal to incredulity. You can't explain it, therefore it must be incomplete or lacking.
The reason it is incomplete and lacking is because there's some gaps in it, not because I cannot explain it. It is true, for the most part.

SkinWalker said:
The social reason he wrote of apply to all religions. I've yet to see a religion that didn't conform to one or more of these social reasons at least in part. There may be additional reasons for religious superstition, but it would seem he's named the most prominent. Is there and extant or extinct religion that you know of that doesn't have one or more of these social reasons?
Really? Do you know what unorganized religion is? This sounds more like a government than religion. Something that reinforces order, control, etc...

What you're saying is that philosophy is designed just for social purposes, just to control others, reinforce order, etc....

SkinWalker said:
And yet, the celestial teapot argument still stands. You cannot disprove nor prove its existence or lack thereof. The same standards apply to theistic mythology and superstition. The various gods of humanity can neither be proved or disproved in the exact same way as the celestial teapot. Just because you don't like the argument doesn't mean you can simply dismiss it. It holds.
True, it still stands, and if the celestial teapot really exists, proof of some type could be gathered to indicate its existence.

What is interesting is my argument still stands, the statistical probability of a soul existing is FAR greater than the probablitiy of a celestial teapot existing. However, you do not like the argument, you just dismiss it.

SkinWalker said:
More argument from personal incredulity. Just because something is unknown, doesn't mean there are supernatural forces at work. There need not be a god applied as explanation just because one human (or even all) can't fathom the explanation. Moreover, I'd suggest that science has more understanding and evidence of the nature of consciousness than you know or wish to admit. But even if it didn't, not knowing in no way, shape, or form suggests that there is any more plausibility to a "soul" than a celestial teapot.
Whoever mentioned supernatural forces? Not me. And yes, it DOES suggest that the probablity of a "soul" existing is far greater than a celestial teapot existing. Science does not know what consciousness really is, therefore it does not say whether it is physical or unphysical. But atheists, already having knowledge of everything know what is true and what is false, therefore they know that there is no soul.

SkinWalker said:
Precisely. Yet, the superstitious go on with their claims of the supernatural with regards to all manner of gods, angels and zombie saviors. Without a shred of evidence. There isn't even a shred of real evidence that can be rejected, so your comment about atheists is not valid. It is the freethinker and the critical minded that reject unsupported supernatural claims and the evidence of ancient poets. And rightfully so.
Any evidence provided is ignored and atheists insist it must be hoax of some type.

SkinWalker said:
Really. Show it instead of speculating. What would this "concrete, undeniable evidence" be like? A bit difficult to describe something that doesn't apparently exist, eh? But if it did, and it was "concrete" and "undeniable" enough that it could be tested or at least potentially falsified, then it should be enough. No longer would the concept of "souls," "gods," "afterlives" and the like be proved, but they would no longer be considered supernatural, since they would now have natural explanations.
Thats not true, if I really did, atheists would try their hardest to discredit it in every imaginable way.

But first lets determine what is concrete, undeniable evidence of a soul, afterlife, God, etc...?

SkinWalker said:
There are no "scriptures" worth their weight in paper or papyrus. Not a one. Each has their flaws, mainly that they were authored by superstitious cult leaders that had the task of containing their adherents. Not only are every holy scripture I've ever read filled with internal inconsistencies and flaws, but cross-culturally they are often inconsistent among themselves as well as contradictory. This immediately implies that at least some if not most are wrong, before even identifying internal inconsistencies and flaws.

Scriptures discarded to the bin. On to the next "evidence."
It really depends what you consider inconsistencies and flaws. I'm sure if I showed you a physics book from a 1,000 years in the future you would say there are so many inconsistencies and flaws in it and lots of it sounds pseudo-scientific.

SkinWalker said:
I'm sure there are some ignorant and undereducated atheists out there. But educated freethinkers -the critically minded- already understand that science is incomplete. Were it to be complete, it wouldn't be called science but history. But to suggest that whatever is currently believed in science is "probably completely wrong" demonstrates ignorance and under-education if it is truly believed. Incomplete, yes. Probably wrong -not by a long shot. If this were even close to being true, the various sciences wouldn't be so interconnected and supporting. Biology informs psychology. Physics informs chemistry. Chemistry informs biology. And so on. This is but one proof that science is getting it right -and anti-science types are unable to show otherwise.
It really depends how you define "wrong". For instance in the past it was stated the smallest particle that existed was an electron. Was that information "wrong" or "incomplete", its really a matter of opinion.

SkinWalker said:
There's a fallacy in this. It's called begging the question. God is real because it's defined by a myth. The myth is real because it's defined by god. Poppycock.
Why do you atheists always insist everything that you believe is true and everything else is 'poppycock' or 'fantasy'? Its quite ironic, atheists possess the exact same mentality as the radical intorelant theists.

SkinWalker said:
What he's saying is that there is a collection of methods of discovering truth that involves observation and testing which allows for itself to be revised and corrected over time, regardless of the "truths" held. These methods are called science. Religion abhors such methods, as they are inherently skeptical and inquisitive -two things that bring heresy to religious superstition faster than Doubting Thomas ever could have.
You're just dodging what I said. Let me say it again

VitalOne said:
What you're saying is that if you lived in the 1600s you would be certain that the Sun revolves around the Earth, because the evidence at the time pointed to this being true.

You see, you atheists, CANNOT deny this, because it is so true.

Last edited:
The flaws in animals being the effects of previous causes is fantasy? Woah, all-knowing one, you know it all already!!!

The fantasy is karma. That is pure bullshit. If I'm wrong, please show me the evidence that "karma" creates the flaws in animals. This belief also includes that karma influences the type of animal you become in the next life. So, if you have the evidence to support it, I'm ready. Otherwise, your ad hominem remark notwithstanding, you're full of shit.

Really? Do you know what unorganized religion is? This sounds more like a government than religion. Something that reinforces order, control, etc...

And yet, this is the primary purpose of religion from band-level societies up through state-level. Otherwise, religions wouldn't impose moral codes, taboos, and all manner of superstitious requirements for their adherence. If there is a religion that has an exception to this, I challenge you to reveal it. I'll take your silence as concession of the point.

What you're saying is that philosophy is designed just for social purposes, just to control others, reinforce order, etc....

Nope. While religions have philosophical ideas, not all philosophical ideas are religious. So, you use yet again a logical fallacy. This time the non sequitur.

True, it still stands, and if the celestial teapot really exists, proof of some type could be gathered to indicate its existence.

Really? And how would you obtain that proof? I assure you, I can move the goal post as soon as you approach it. This is what has occurred over the centuries with explanations of gods and other supernatural poppycock: the believers constantly move the goal post as soon as the reasoned freethinker successfully approaches it.

What is interesting is my argument still stands, the statistical probability of a soul existing is FAR greater than the probablitiy of a celestial teapot existing. However, you do not like the argument, you just dismiss it.

I dismiss it because it is flawed. Seriously flawed. If you can support this argument, please do. Quantify how a soul is "more statistically probable" than a celestial teapot -excluding that I admit the celestial teapot is fantasy.

Whoever mentioned supernatural forces?

You did. Everything about your beliefs and assertions in this very thread suggest magic. A quality that simply does not exist in any quantifiable or measurable way. It is supernatural: existing outside of the realm of nature and thus the physical laws within nature.

Any evidence provided is ignored and atheists insist it must be hoax of some type.

If the evidence isn't at least potentially falsifiable or testable, then it probably *is* a hoax. Particularly since the hoax is the most parsimonious explanation. Humans deceive to further their beliefs. There are several that have done so in this very forum.

As the rest of your reply follows the same fallacious trend, I see no need to do the quote-to-quote thing. More anti-science mumbo-jumbo that simply doesn't hold water. Those that believe in supernatural explanations will always claim that they cannot get those that aren't convinced of their superstitions to believe them because the non-believers don't want to believe. With evidence -real evidence- even the most hardlined skeptic would become a believer. The lack of evidence or what would qualify as real evidence is the onus of the superstitious, yet they continue to ask silly questions like, "what would you accept as proof." Really! What an ignorant thing to ask! The freethinker hasn't a claim, it's the believer that has the claim. The evidence is the believer's problem.

You end your fallacious reply with the same fallacious argument about the sun revolving around the Earth as if this logical fallacy proves your claim. What I would have believed in the 1600's is irrelevant to the discussion. Religious adherents claim to have "knowledge" and to be able to "observe" their superstitions such that it informs their beliefs. Yet they are unable to do better than appeal to personal incredulity in order to support their claims. They are unable to test or falsify their observations or adequately explain them such that the methodology of their observations can be replicated by those not afflicted with their superstitions.

Can someone please define what is meant by "spirituality" in this instance?

If they mean a separate entity linked to the material - then please provide evidence.
If they only mean a sense of wonder, an appreciation of beauty etc, then that is a different matter.

True, however one can be spiritual without being mystical. Thus one can practice meditation, n not believe in after life, supernatural entities, etc..

Buddhism is atheist:
http://www.vexen.co.uk/religion/buddhism_atheism.html

No. But one can see it as such, if one wishes.
http://www.friesian.com/buddhism.htm

It is tempting to many to see the Buddha as essentially a philosopher and Buddhism as profoundly unlike other world religions -- perhaps not a religion at all. Since there is no God or soul in Buddhism, there is certainly a sharp contrast with religions like Judaism, Christianity, or Islâm. However, the contast is less sharp with other historical and world religions. Thus, while there is no God, there are gods in Buddhism, gods like Indra and Brahmâ who turn up as guardians of Buddhist temples. Most importantly, the sanctity of the Buddha himself is immediately obvious. After his death, the ashes of the Buddha became relics in much the same way that we find relics of the Saints in Christianity. The form of the stupa originally served to enshrine such relics. That the Buddha may originally have been just a person is not something extraordinary in Indian religion, where in Buddhism, Jainism, and Hinduism it is possible for ordinary human beings to become morally and spiritually superior to the gods. Especially noteworthy is the belief that in achieving Enlightenment, the Buddha acquired supernatural powers. These powers were:

1. Psychokinesis, the power to move objects with the mind;
2. Clairaudience, the power to hear sounds at extraordinary distances;
3. Telepathy, the power to read the minds of others;
4. Retrocognition, the power to know one's own previous existences;
5. Clairvoyance, the power to see and know things at a distance; and,
6. Knowledge of the destruction of the defiling impulses, such as would lead to Enlightenment and Nirvân.a.

These supernatural and extrasensory powers, it should be noted, do not actually add up to either omniscience or omnipotence, or even immortality. They are enough, however, to enable the Buddha to discover and verify the essentials of Buddhist doctrine, as well as to function in this world at a level far beyond ordinary human abilities. These may seem like modest claims in comparison to the divinities of other religions, but they are certainly rather more than what is claimed by those we would regard as merely philosophers -- or than is expected by those looking for a primarily humanistic and rationalistic religion.

There seems to be all kinds of mistrepretation on buddhism as well Sam!

Buddhism is a education of reaching several levels of understanding of self, and one's own enviorenment, it's not some supernatural seeking power bull shit, where one aquires supernatural powers, that's just plain stupid, and no one even the originator of buddhism, Gautama Buddha reached the level of supernatural powers listed by the bs site you so proudly posted.

http://www.amtbweb.org/tchet113.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism

Clearly human nature takes on the mythical path of a good philosophy, everyone seeks easy answers, everyone seeks god like powers, so in order to achive such devoted followers usupers, who "understand" human nature promise these things as god like powers when enlightenment is reached by their teachings, surely you can speculate that this is what happened when some of these gurus reached a certain level of understanding of "human nature" they took advantage of that knowledge and gathered believers with the intent on profiting by their ignorance.

To the seekers of truth the Buddha says:

"Do not accept anything on (mere) hearsay -- (i.e., thinking that thus have we heard it for a long time). Do not accept anything by mere tradition -- (i.e., thinking that it has thus been handed down through many generations). Do not accept anything on account of mere rumors -- (i.e., by believing what others say without any investigation). Do not accept anything just because it accords with your scriptures. Do not accept anything by mere suppositions. Do not accept anything by mere inference. Do not accept anything by merely considering the reasons. Do not accept anything merely because it agrees with your pre-conceived notions. Do not accept anything merely because it seems acceptable -- (i.e., thinking that as the speaker seems to be a good person his words should be accepted). Do not accept anything thinking that the ascetic is respected by us (therefore it is right to accept his word).

"But when you know for yourselves -- these things are immoral, these things are blameworthy, these things are censured by the wise, these things, when performed and undertaken conduce to ruin and sorrow -- then indeed do you reject them.

"When you know for yourselves -- these things are moral, these things are blameless, these things are praised by the wise, these things, when performed and undertaken, conduce to well-being and happiness -- then do you live acting accordingly."
http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell03.htm

The above is a good lesson for you Sam, it comes straight from buddhism first buddha, to be enlightened is to know that there's no such thing as an easy path for enlightenment, no existence of a supernatural entity, no existence of supernatural powers, need exist to understand, that the mythical human nature seeks these things, these are wants of unatainable goals, the first thing about buddhism, is to let go of wants, specially Sam wants of supernatural powers! ;)

Last edited:
Er, picking and choosing, Godless?;)

From the Dhammapada:

The man who wisely controls his senses as a good driver controls his horses, and who is free from lower passions and pride, is admired even by the gods.

If a man should conquer in battle a thousand and a thousand more, and another man should conquer himself, his would be the greater victory, because the greatest of victories is the victory over oneself; and neither the gods in heaven above nor the demons down below can turn into defeat the victory of such a man.

Since a shower of golden coins could not satisfy craving desires and the end of all pleasure is pain, how could a wise man find satisfaction even in the pleasures of the gods? When desires go, joy comes: the follower of Buddha finds this truth.
He who is free from the bondage of men and also from the bondage of the gods: who is free from all things in creation - him I call a Brahmin.

etc.

Back