Just Another Salem," an account by Chester Smalkowski

Jenyar,

Hopefully I'll be able to address the rest in time, but you'll have to excuse me if I don't. An incomplete answer would just look like evasion on my part, and a complete answer would escalate the discussion even more. I enjoy debating with you, probably because I enjoy the journey of discovery that we're on as much as you seem to, even though it's from a different vantage point.
Understood. This does take a great deal of time, and even more if given the depth it probably deserves.

Since the Bible doesn't give any definition for soul except the words themselves, nefesh (life), ruach (wind/spirit), neshama (breath), all neuroscience proved is that the attempts to define it were misguided. It's probably a synergetic term.
No you are entirely wrong. The idea of a soul style concept has been with mankind for many millennia and it will not be easy to dislodge, but these erroneous ideas were entirely born out of the total ignorance of how emotions, thoughts, memory, consciousness, etc., could be generated without some type of mystical factor. The very recent understanding given to us via neuroscience removes all those old superstitious ideas about a mystical soul. Memory, mind, thoughts, emotions, are now all firmly understood as natural physical characteristics. There is no mysticism left.

But your biases prevent you from understanding it in any other way than as a purely naturalistic assertion, which it isn't (and if it were, neuroscience would only tell us more about it).
No. We’ve moved on, and you must learn to do the same. The soul is a redundant concept. Everything is only natural; I see no room for doubt.

“You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.” - CS Lewis
Nice idea and now totally false.

However, you've clearly ignored some of the things I've said, some of which (like the other minds problem) I thought you would be familiar with, and would need more elaboration. Either that, or you've glossed my arguments (and I don't blame you - this can easily become a full-time exercise).
Apologies if I missed something you considered important, it wasn’t my intention to miss too much, but time is an issue.

Faith does rely on evidence (cf. 1 Cor. 15:14), it just keeps in view the things that have passed out of sense and sight again;
Sorry but I strongly disagree. If you had anything of any substance you would never need a reference to faith. And I mean the blind faith of religion and not the evidential faith better known as induction.

Religion's first concern is not with explaining the natural world - science is indeed better suited for that –
A conclusion brought about because it had become so obvious. In earlier times science had to say what the church dictated and it was the church that decided what was natural and was not.

but in engaging with it holistically by incorporating our belief God; the soul, as above, and so on.
Which are merely tenuous connections to concepts that really have no useful basis in the modern world.

My arguments are not as superficial as you treat them. "Anthropological intimidation" is a serious accusation - at least as fallacious as argumentum ad populum - but you didn't seem to take it seriously.
No I didn’t and I still don’t. That the feelings of religionists might be hurt because they are accused of being deluded is their problem, but I firmly believe the scenario is quite accurate. The delusion occurs through centuries of superstitious indoctrination and which still continues today, combined with the weight of numbers who believe religious nonsense. The religious mind virus is incredibly dangerous to the mental health of humankind.

Your fundamental faith in naturalism (clearly emboldened by its own successes)
I love the way the term faith is used here as a derogatory term yet you cling to the idea that it is rational when used for yourself. Naturalism and science is entirely empirical – faith is not needed.

and your seeming obliviousness to the assumptions that underlie your disbelief, complicates my task.
Quite rightly so. I don’t believe you will ever be able to demonstrate anything that is not natural.

You want me to provide evidence that you can't give another explanation for, but you clearly consider any explanation that doesn't involve God as natural, and therefore "infinitely more believable", no matter how imaginative or fantastical it might be in its own right.
Well, within limits, but the point is that natural phenomena exists and we can easily assess such explanations, but the supernatural is entirely unknown so you have a mountain to climb before you even begin. And also, since I have no idea how something supernatural might present itself I am indeed at a loss as to how to help you show the required evidence. You are on your own.

That you don't recognize how that taints the sample is beyond me.
I believe you have an impossible task. But the claims are yours, and it is your task to justify them if you want to convince any skeptics you have something real.

Oh, God, Cris. You think that dialectical materialism is the cure for stupidity in spiritualism. Don't you know that it doesn't matter whether it is spiritualism, animism, or science, people will be stupid about it, even those who have college degrees?

MetaKron,

You think that dialectical materialism is the cure for stupidity in spiritualism
Education and time - education and time.

But many people will likely follow their own fantasies regardless.

Cris said:
No you are entirely wrong. The idea of a soul style concept has been with mankind for many millennia and it will not be easy to dislodge, but these erroneous ideas were entirely born out of the total ignorance of how emotions, thoughts, memory, consciousness, etc., could be generated without some type of mystical factor. The very recent understanding given to us via neuroscience removes all those old superstitious ideas about a mystical soul. Memory, mind, thoughts, emotions, are now all firmly understood as natural physical characteristics. There is no mysticism left.
And I still think you presume too much and underestimate the language and intelligence of these people. Scienitific knowledge does not determine intelligence, it never has. If they were referring to the synergy of emotions, thoughts, memory, consciousness, etc. (since they had no better name by which to call these things) then you have just described their soul to them. If they weren't, then you have not diminished what they meant.

No. We’ve moved on, and you must learn to do the same. The soul is a redundant concept. Everything is only natural; I see no room for doubt.
Does neuroscience explain what animates matter into life? Has it isolated the gene that gives life, and had it independently verified? Because none of the things you mentioned seem to describe what life consists of.

Sorry but I strongly disagree. If you had anything of any substance you would never need a reference to faith. And I mean the blind faith of religion and not the evidential faith better known as induction.
What is discovered by induction is also not "of any substance", but can still be believed with a great amount of faith. I'm sure you know some examples. What's the difference, exactly?
"For of course science actually proceeds by concentrating not on the regularities of Nature but on her apparent irregularities. It is the apparent irregularity that prompts each new hypothesis. It does so because we refuse to acquiesce in irregularities: we never rest till we have formed and verified a hypothesis which enables us to say that they were not really irregularities at all. Nature as it comes to us looks at first like a mass of irregularities. The stove which lit all right yesterday won’t light today; the water which was wholesome last year is poisonous this year. The whole mass of seemingly irregular experience could never have been turned into scientific knowledge at all unless from the very start we had brought to it a faith in uniformity which almost no number of disappointments can shake." -- CS Lewis, Miracles, ch. 13.​
A conclusion brought about because it had become so obvious. In earlier times science had to say what the church dictated and it was the church that decided what was natural and was not.
That was the infancy of modern science, and church policies were advised by the prevailing science of the day - thus by scientists, not the clergy. In fact, it should be as much a lesson on responsibility to scientists as to the church: Something like the condemnation of Galileo was "in reality a defense of the Graeco-Roman worldview and particularly the authority of Aristotle, with whose teachings on physics, biology and philosophy the biblical world picture was identified" (Hans Küng).

But before empiricism became known as empiricism, what was "obvious" about the natural world was simply incorporated into faith, just like today. If they knew less, they had less preconceptions about what was possible and what wasn't. Someone who doesn't think he already knows the laws of nature won't ever know when to regard anything is a miracle. If they were ignorant, how was their ignorance (or ideological assumption) different from yours?

Which are merely tenuous connections to concepts that really have no useful basis in the modern world.
The modern world isn't everything. Literally and figuratively.

No I didn’t and I still don’t. That the feelings of religionists might be hurt because they are accused of being deluded is their problem, but I firmly believe the scenario is quite accurate. The delusion occurs through centuries of superstitious indoctrination and which still continues today, combined with the weight of numbers who believe religious nonsense. The religious mind virus is incredibly dangerous to the mental health of humankind.
Did you know the memetic theory of belief isn't falsifiable on the scale you're talking about? If delusion occurs so pervasively, it's just as likely to occur in the thinking of the minority, and in yours.

Anthropological intimidation is the conceit that you know better because you know more. It's actually the modern mind who is prone to superstition because of his reliance on naturalism to explain his experience of the world. Someone who isn't always looking through the microscope considers everything science, about which it's possible to learn and know more. You have just restricted the word "science" to a certain field, and are now utterly convinced any other enquiry is unscientific. It's why Einstein did resisted the necessity of quantum physics, which he famously put as "God does not play dice".

I love the way the term faith is used here as a derogatory term yet you cling to the idea that it is rational when used for yourself. Naturalism and science is entirely empirical – faith is not needed.
It takes faith to believe that. Empirical science cannot verify itself by its own methods (Gödel). I obviously do not hold a derogatory idea of faith - I told you why I believe it's necessary if we are to achieve anything more than solipsism.

Quite rightly so. I don’t believe you will ever be able to demonstrate anything that is not natural.
Ideological assumption again. Your belief makes it impossible to demonstrate anything that is not natural.

Well, within limits, but the point is that natural phenomena exists and we can easily assess such explanations, but the supernatural is entirely unknown so you have a mountain to climb before you even begin. And also, since I have no idea how something supernatural might present itself I am indeed at a loss as to how to help you show the required evidence. You are on your own.
Natural phenomena surely exist, and we have devised ways to assess it. But many things aren't accessible and so we can't expect to use the same tools to assess them. History is one example. Your attempt to do so has created a stereotypical universe - a scientific mythology - with ignorance (and "religion") on the one side and knowledge (and "science") on the other. It's the conceit that knowing more about one thing means you know more about everything. And in stead of history itself informing your perception, you let your beliefs inform it: you see delusion because you claim its delusion. Like Heisenberg said: "What we observe is not nature itself but nature exposed to our method of questioning."

The myth that people used to believe the earth was flat is a classic example of how your focus can make you lose focus.

Cris said:
MetaKron,

Education and time - education and time.

But many people will likely follow their own fantasies regardless.

Yes, dialectical materialists will, and all the time, they will be helping the religious "right."

The onus of proof lies entirely on the theists who make the claim that there exists evidence to prove the existence of God, or that they know what the "right direction" is.

This claim has some important implications, some of them being: that the theists have found a way to use a relative to come to an absolute; that they have cracked the relativity problem; that they have found a way to avoid the practical consequences of the Gödel theorems.

The scientists take no fault in all this. They are just being good empiricists, always ready to be shown otherwise. But the theists have so far failed to do so.

The worst in all this is that the theists are misleading their audience. The theists are claiming that they have come to an absolute by way of (empirical) evidence -- yet they yet have to show how that is possible at all.

Jenyar said:
And in stead of history itself informing your perception, you let your beliefs inform it: you see delusion because you claim its delusion. Like Heisenberg said: "What we observe is not nature itself but nature exposed to our method of questioning."

Jenyar said:
We simply call our most fundamental assumptions "reality" and proceed from there.

*Actually* use your own arguments.
You don't have a case.

Jenyar,

Scienitific knowledge does not determine intelligence, it never has.
I agree and there was no intent to imply that. But intelligence on its own is just a process and to leverage its effectiveness it needs data (knowledge). Without knowledge intelligence alone can and does reach incorrect conclusions.

If they were referring to the synergy of emotions, thoughts, memory, consciousness, etc. (since they had no better name by which to call these things) then you have just described their soul to them. If they weren't, then you have not diminished what they meant.
That’s fine, I guess, to give those groupings of properties a name but the issue is the source of those properties. Without any clue of how a brain operates their ignorance (absence of knowledge) lead them incorrectly to conclude that “soul” properties were of a mystical origin. And from those early errors we now have the mess of today where you still think those ignorant ideas represent a truth.

Does neuroscience explain what animates matter into life?
Neuroscience helps us understand how a brain operates. Your question has different implications outside of neuroscience. What do you mean by animation, and life? A motor vehicle, a mechanical watch, and bacteria, are all animated; do all these things then need a soul to function.

Has it isolated the gene that gives life, and had it independently verified?
What do you mean by life? What is the difference between a rock, a flame, a flower petal, a bacterium, and an animal? You might say that some represent life and others do not, but what is the distinction and is there one? Underneath at the subatomic level a rock is just as active as the components inside an animal. Most is empty space with electrons whizzing around etc. The only differences between all these objects are degrees of animation, just shades of grey. Otherwise they are all matter just like us.

Because none of the things you mentioned seem to describe what life consists of.
That’s because you have an erroneous perception.

What is discovered by induction is also not "of any substance", but can still be believed with a great amount of faith.
You seem to be significantly confusing terms here or simply lack understanding. Most of science uses inductive reasoning as do most things we do in life. Think of induction as a statistical process, e.g. given that an event has occurred a large proportion of the time there is a STRONG reason to expect it will occur again. E.g. driving to work every morning I usually succeed in arriving intact. But with induction there is always a finite possibility that one day I might not arrive. One could say I expect to arrive OK but I cannot assert with certainty (on faith) that I will arrive. Most of the things we do in life are like this and many refer to this process as faith. But that is only one of the definitions of “faith”.

The whole mass of seemingly irregular experience could never have been turned into scientific knowledge at all unless from the very start we had brought to it a faith in uniformity which almost no number of disappointments can shake." -- CS Lewis, Miracles, ch. 13.
And your quote nicely illustrates the classic error in confusing inductive reasoning, and calling it faith, and then making the giant leap to say faith shows it is OK to believe something where there is no evidence. These are two very distinct and massive differences to the meaning of the word faith. It is a very common tactic and major error proffered by the religionist, that they often do not even understand themselves (absence of critical thinking ability).

But before empiricism became known as empiricism, what was "obvious" about the natural world was simply incorporated into faith, just like today.
Misuse of the word faith again. I’ll comment no further until you correct your mistake.

If they knew less, they had less preconceptions about what was possible and what wasn't.
Total nonsense. The human imagination knows no bounds. In the absence of knowledge we tend to create our own explanations – hence the creation of religions and all the superstitious and baseless mumbo-jumbo that is associated with them. It is only with knowledge that we are gradually dismissing the religious gibberish and replacing it with facts.

Someone who doesn't think he already knows the laws of nature won't ever know when to regard anything is a miracle. If they were ignorant, how was their ignorance (or ideological assumption) different from yours?
I have a far greater knowledge base to draw from, including the knowledge that I need critical thinking to form valid conclusions.

The modern world isn't everything. Literally and figuratively.
But has significantly more knowledge than the old world. And with knowledge comes a greater chance of discovering truth.

Did you know the memetic theory of belief isn't falsifiable on the scale you're talking about? If delusion occurs so pervasively, it's just as likely to occur in the thinking of the minority, and in yours.
But again I am not making claims. Stop trying to deflect your problem onto me. How do YOU show your assertions are not delusional?

Anthropological intimidation is the conceit that you know better because you know more.
Or it is that we know better because we know more. I don’t see that your assertion of intimidation helps your argument; in fact you should be rightly intimidated by the existence of knowledge since you have none of your own.

It's actually the modern mind who is prone to superstition because of his reliance on naturalism to explain his experience of the world.
That makes no sense.

Someone who isn't always looking through the microscope considers everything science, about which it's possible to learn and know more. You have just restricted the word "science" to a certain field, and are now utterly convinced any other enquiry is unscientific.
I have said many times on this forum and in this thread that science knows no boundaries. I have certainly not “limited” science to any field. Science is about the discovery of knowledge and if you have a better method for discovering knowledge then please demonstrate it.

It's why Einstein did resisted the necessity of quantum physics, which he famously put as "God does not play dice".
Remember that Einstein was a pantheist not a believer in a personal god such your beliefs. If you now replace the word “God” with “the Universe” then you will understand what Einstein meant in the correct context of his perspective.

“ Quite rightly so. I don’t believe you will ever be able to demonstrate anything that is not natural. ”
Ideological assumption again. Your belief makes it impossible to demonstrate anything that is not natural.
No you are making the same mistake again. Disbelief is not the same thing as believing something is false. I simply do not see how you can demonstrate something that is not natural. I’m curious to see you try but religionists have been trying for many millennia and I don’t see any progress. Based on that very strong inductive reasoning I doubt you will succeed where millions before you have 100% failed. You need to simply admit that you cannot demonstrate that what you assert as true is true, and you have no way personally of knowing that your claims are true.

But many things aren't accessible and so we can't expect to use the same tools to assess them.
Agreed, but then on that basis you cannot claim that unknown things are true, the best you can say is “we don’t know”, i.e. the atheist position. Your position is that you claim you do KNOW for certain but can’t show any method where you obtain that claimed knowledge.

It's the conceit that knowing more about one thing means you know more about everything.
But in many cases that is literally true. The development of the periodic table helped us understand the nature of virtually all matter in the universe. The special theory of relativity changed our entire view of how objects in motion behave. But there are some famous quotes of many scientists who state – the more we discover the more we realize what we don’t know. So I disagree with your point on conceit. I think you are simply irked that you really can’t show any real knowledge and are jealous of science.

The myth that people used to believe the earth was flat is a classic example of how your focus can make you lose focus.
No, you’ve missed my point entirely and the article helps emphasize my point. The reference to a time when nearly everyone on the planet believed the word was flat was not to ridicule Christians but to give an example of how truth is not determined by a majority vote, i.e. to combat the logical fallacy that because so many people believe something then it must true. Choose another analogy if you don’t like the flat earth example. But the article does show that among the EDUCATED knowledge displaces myth and superstition, and we know from today that the better educated tend to be the least religious and gullible.

Last edited:
Science is, along with its other limitation, incapable of analysing God. Science is observation, as is any other human experience. Simply because an athiest chooses to ignore what it cannot understand does not negate the existence of something larger than an athiest. You're fricking <i>ants.</i> Come to terms with that possibility.

Bowser,

Science is, along with its other limitation, incapable of analysing God.
Why? Science will analyze anything that is detectable. If you think you can detect a god then that will be a measurable phenomenon.

Science is observation, as is any other human experience.
By any means possible.

Simply because an athiest chooses to ignore what it cannot understand does not negate the existence of something larger than an athiest.
It is not a matter of understanding but a matter of evidence that there is something to understand. At this point there is nothing available to consider.

You're fricking ants. Come to terms with that possibility.
Only if your assertions are true, which you can’t demonstrate.

Cris said:
Bowser,

Why? Science will analyze anything that is detectable. If you think you can detect a god then that will be a measurable phenomenon.

Science will measure anything that is within its reach. A man trapped in a box can measure the interior and its contents, but that doesn't define the possibilities of that which might be outside the box.

Cris said:
It is not a matter of understanding but a matter of evidence that there is something to understand. At this point there is nothing available to consider.

I wouldn't limit myself to only one approach.

Cris said:
Only if your assertions are true, which you can’t demonstrate.

All I can point to is you, the world around us, and the stars above... Maybe elbow you in the side and say: This is too cool to be an accident.

Last edited:
Bowser,

Science will measure anything that is within its reach. A man trapped in a box can measure the interior and its contents, but that doesn't define the possibilities of that which might be outside the box.
Agreed, but that doesn’t mean that there is anything outside the box. The theist assertion is that there is – so show how you know. And how would you define possibilities of something you don’t know exists.

I wouldn't limit myself to only one approach.
Then what’s the alternative to evidence?

All I can point to is you, the world around us, and the stars above... Maybe elbow you in the side and say: This is too cool to be an accident.
Then I could teach you about evolution where nothing is an accident.

Then I could teach you about evolution where nothing is an accident.

He would argue tooth and nail, till the cows come home, and the rooster crows. For reason can't reach those who have closed their minds to it, logic is little understood, and "faith" blind faith is the friend that makes it all easy to bear.

But hey if anyone has the time, any theist that is, here's a few books that may help ya, see reason.

The Non-Exitent Of God

Philosophy & Atheism

Why Atheim

hey it's a free read nock yourselves out! :D

Godless

Bowser said:
You're fricking <i>ants.</i> Come to terms with that possibility.

Hey, what kind of a logic is that?

You first make an assertive statement, You're fricking <i>ants.</i>

but then you relativize it and qualify it as a possibility, Come to terms with that possibility.

:confused:

Godless,

For reason can't reach those who have closed their minds to it, logic is little understood, and "faith" blind faith is the friend that makes it all easy to bear.
Strange - if I thought there might be an end to this battle I think I'd give up now. I think it is the prospect of this infinite battle of pleasure that keeps me going.

water said:
The onus of proof lies entirely on the theists who make the claim that there exists evidence to prove the existence of God, or that they know what the "right direction" is.
There is no evidence that "proves" God's existence, just some that we beleive indicates it. And obviously those who believe that to be evidence will consider it the "right" direction - what else? Don't you consider the alternative to be the "right" direction?

This claim has some important implications, some of them being: that the theists have found a way to use a relative to come to an absolute; that they have cracked the relativity problem; that they have found a way to avoid the practical consequences of the Gödel theorems.
You will have to explain this unbridgable gap between relatives and absolutes, because it seems we put it into practice every day with any problems. You had no problem conceiving of it in our long discussion about the strategic and the parametric, and whether you still hold those views or not, the concepts still exist without contradiction. They're defined not to contradict.

The scientists take no fault in all this. They are just being good empiricists, always ready to be shown otherwise. But the theists have so far failed to do so.
You're stereotyping. Who are "the scientists" and who are "the theists" you are talking about, and why do you consider their views representative?

The worst in all this is that the theists are misleading their audience. The theists are claiming that they have come to an absolute by way of (empirical) evidence -- yet they yet have to show how that is possible at all.
Where was this claim made?

I think you are assuming it to be made in order to burn this particular strawman more effectively!

water said:
*Actually* use your own arguments.
You don't have a case.
I don't know what your problem is. My argument has been that the reality exposed by one's questioning is the one that is assumed to be axiomatic. All our subsequent arguments follow from that, whether the line is theistic or naturalistic or empirical or intuitive, it can be valid even if you may doubt that it's sound.

Why would you want to be furnished with explanations for something you don't believe to be a case to begin with?

Godless said:
Good sites, but since I already agree with all of them I'm not sure what you want me to see. I provided a link myself to the "can't prove a negative" fallacy in another thread, where I caught myself repeating the cliché.

Keep debating, I feel another SouthStar coming along.. :p
I want to try not to let the theory distract from the practice, so my debates will necessarily be more limited than they have been in the past. I do enjoy it at least as much as Cris, though.

Cris,

Apologies for my extended absence! I'll quickly try to address some of the more relevant questions that were raised.
Cris said:
That’s fine, I guess, to give those groupings of properties a name but the issue is the source of those properties. Without any clue of how a brain operates their ignorance (absence of knowledge) lead them incorrectly to conclude that “soul” properties were of a mystical origin. And from those early errors we now have the mess of today where you still think those ignorant ideas represent a truth.
The problem is that you equate what we've learned since with what you assume they were trying to express, without first finding out if that was what they were indeed attempting to express. On a very simplistic level, the soul is more about a "personhood" than a conglomerate of natural processes -or as Plato and Socrates put it, the essence of a person (as opposed to what every man and living creature shares by way of biology or neurology). It's a specific way of seeing a person - a way that does not clash with anything we might ever learn about that person. Francis Crick takes this position in his book The Astonishing Hypothesis, although he sees neuroscience completely overlapping the concept of soul, while I think they only partially overlap.

Maybe using a more neutral language will help. As we might glean from Wikipedia, "The word 'soul' did not exist in the times of Jesus, Socrates or Aristotle, and so the quotations, interpretations and translations of the word "soul" from these sources, means that the word should be handled very carefully". The Greek word used for soul is psyche, as found in psychology. I think that the distinction between the fields of psychology and neurology is as significant as where they overlap (in the soma, or natural body). The Greeks and Hebrews made that distinction, and I think we should at least be consistent when we use those terms today. A modern reinterpretation is just that: a reinterpretation.

Neuroscience helps us understand how a brain operates. Your question has different implications outside of neuroscience. What do you mean by animation, and life? A motor vehicle, a mechanical watch, and bacteria, are all animated; do all these things then need a soul to function.

What do you mean by life? What is the difference between a rock, a flame, a flower petal, a bacterium, and an animal? You might say that some represent life and others do not, but what is the distinction and is there one? Underneath at the subatomic level a rock is just as active as the components inside an animal. Most is empty space with electrons whizzing around etc. The only differences between all these objects are degrees of animation, just shades of grey. Otherwise they are all matter just like us.
I can also only speculate about the differences, but despite the fact that everything comes down to matter, the fact is that what we call living beings act and appear different from rock or flame. The difference is in what animates them, and it's a real difference. Otherwise there would be no "search for life" on other planets; the word "life" would lose all meaning. To bring it back to neurology - neurology comes no closer at saying what animates us, it only describes what is animated, and even how it is animated. The questions are fascinating, and we've explored it hypothetically in questions about AI and cyborgs, from Lieut. Data to the Cylons. But so much of the concept has become dependent on the religious side of it, and therefore on whether God exists or not, that all we can really do is examine what it means in the context that it was used.

If we presuppose that life arising from inanimate matter can be explained without a Creator as catalyst, then the supernatural element obviously falls away and what we're left with would be just our observation of life's mechanics - the biology. And then the only reasonable "psychology" would be the bottoms-up approach, from chemistry to action. But as it is, we still allow for the existence of a "psyche" - something that is not just influenced by the soma, but can also influence it.

You seem to be significantly confusing terms here or simply lack understanding. Most of science uses inductive reasoning as do most things we do in life. Think of induction as a statistical process, e.g. given that an event has occurred a large proportion of the time there is a STRONG reason to expect it will occur again. E.g. driving to work every morning I usually succeed in arriving intact. But with induction there is always a finite possibility that one day I might not arrive. One could say I expect to arrive OK but I cannot assert with certainty (on faith) that I will arrive. Most of the things we do in life are like this and many refer to this process as faith. But that is only one of the definitions of “faith”.
But I did not say faith relies purely on inductive reasoning. I only proposed to show how something that is not of any "substance" may nevertheless be reasonable to expect, to believe in. Induction is only one of the facets of faith. Trust is another. Someone might say that nothing can be trusted enough to expect some things with certainty; someone with faith in God might say God can be trusted that much.

And your quote nicely illustrates the classic error in confusing inductive reasoning, and calling it faith, and then making the giant leap to say faith shows it is OK to believe something where there is no evidence. These are two very distinct and massive differences to the meaning of the word faith. It is a very common tactic and major error proffered by the religionist, that they often do not even understand themselves (absence of critical thinking ability).
I understand your complaint, but I think you presume too much in the end. It's not absence of critical thinking that's the problem, but the presence of it - that we can rely on critical thinking at all, because without a solid frame of reference there can be no measurement of thought. Such a solid (and I hope you appreciate the necessity for it to be infallibly solid) ground can never be proven with certainty. And because the uniformity of nature never has been established with certainty, it is itself an induction.
"It is no good saying, 'Each fresh experience confirms our belief in uniformity and therefore we reasonably expect that it will always be confirmed'; for that argument works only on the assumption that the future will resemble the past -- which is simply the assumption of Uniformity under a new name. Can we say that Uniformity is at any rate very probable? Unfortunately not. We have just seen that all probabilities depend on it. Unless Nature is uniform, nothing is either probable or improbable. And clearly the assumption which you have to make before there is any such thing as probability cannot itself be probable. (C.S. Lewis - Miracles, p.163 - my emphasis.)​

Misuse of the word faith again. I’ll comment no further until you correct your mistake.
Now that I have explained that I see faith as something the precedes even the process of induction, maybe you will understand what I said a little better. People in the past were at least as adept at induction as we are today, but they had less preconceived ideas. While I can agree it probably made them more prone to error, it also made them less prone to tunnel vision. In their time, just as ours, there was reasonable faith and unreasonable faith.

Total nonsense. The human imagination knows no bounds. In the absence of knowledge we tend to create our own explanations – hence the creation of religions and all the superstitious and baseless mumbo-jumbo that is associated with them. It is only with knowledge that we are gradually dismissing the religious gibberish and replacing it with facts.
That's a stereotypical idea, and patently false. The belief that creation is the product of a rational being preceded the belief that the universe is ordered in a way that can be examined and understood. It lay the groundwork for what we delineate today as "science". It is because the human imagination knows no bounds that science itself has flourished along with every other human enterprise, rational or not. We also create explanations in the presence of knowledge. Whether something has been fabricated or not doesn't depend on relative knowledge or ignorance (eg. modern vs. ancient), but in reality vs. superstition.

There are facts in religion just like there is in science, and it likewise distinguishes rational belief from superstition. Past and present superstition in science hasn't invalidated it - the exposing of superstitious elements has only sharpened it. If religion isn't sharpened by the same process, of course it will lead to superstition. We must also distinguish between belief that sprung from a genuine encounter with God and belief that sprung from ignorance or wishful thinking. Sometimes it's problematic, but it's not impossible, and someone who truly allows for the possibility of the former (if only because of the limits of induction) can't just summarily dismiss everything because of errors that even believers themselves would point out.

I have a far greater knowledge base to draw from, including the knowledge that I need critical thinking to form valid conclusions.

But has significantly more knowledge than the old world. And with knowledge comes a greater chance of discovering truth.
Again, knowledge in some areas is not knowledge in all areas - and science covers only what can be reproduced and tested. The whole of history falls outside this scope - for that we rely on the same processes of thought that any rational person would have had at his disposal throughout history. Internal and external consistency, for example. That's one way to distinguish delusion from reality.

Your unspoken claim is that with empirically discovered knowledge comes a greater chance of discovering truth (and in the field of history this "objective method" has only been employed since Leopold Von Ranke, in the 1800s), but that's a claim that cannot be empirically proven. How do you hold it?

But again I am not making claims. Stop trying to deflect your problem onto me. How do YOU show your assertions are not delusional?
By invoking memetic theory you imply that's it's reasonable to do so. How else would you justify it? But anyway, I rely on the same criteria for delusion as you, with the notable exception that I don't claim all believers are deluded. My assertions (at least, the ones that you question most strongly) depend largely on their testimony, so they must stand or fall on their trustworthiness. I have my reasons why I believe that these witnesses weren't lying or deluded, and that their accounts are accurate within reason, but these are only as "concrete" as forms and circumstance allows - which means they must be judged by more than just science and reason, but with at least the same amount of faith by which nature is presumed to be structured in a way our minds can come to terms with.

If the universe is even a small part as irrational and imaginative as the minds it has produced, then perhaps we should pay a little more heed to the things we have great difficulty coming to terms with. If it is not, then something allows us to be aware of the discrepancy - and people have been aware of it long before modern science came on the scene.

Or it is that we know better because we know more. I don’t see that your assertion of intimidation helps your argument; in fact you should be rightly intimidated by the existence of knowledge since you have none of your own.
That's a strangely emotional argument coming from you.

What I am talking about is what the historian Mortimer Adler calls the Twentieth-Century Delusion. Now, I'm in no better position than such an eminent historian to explain it to you, and certain in no better position to defend it. He has made a survey of the history of ideas, ancient to modern, and I'm inclined to agree with his conclusion. Of course it's your prerogative to disagree, but it's not a decision I can influence. It was Adler who said "The philosopher ought never to try to avoid the duty of making up his mind."

I have said many times on this forum and in this thread that science knows no boundaries. I have certainly not “limited” science to any field. Science is about the discovery of knowledge and if you have a better method for discovering knowledge then please demonstrate it.
Science has to be limited to something if it is to be called "science" at all. I'm of course talking about the Demarcation problem. Needless to say, this has changed throughout history, along with what counted as proper "knowledge", and to claim our current demarcation is superior in the quest for all knowledge leads us back to ideological assumptions, and probably the "twentieth-century delusion". Science is limited to its own method of questioning - that's why it's so good at it - and before you can learn anything that this method of questioning cannot discover, you will have to acknowledge its limitations to yourself.

I think I've provided these links under this topic before, but here they are again for good measure:
The Nature and Philosophy of Science;
Two Dogmas of Empiricism (It's interesting to compare Quine's "ideas" with Adler's, and even Aristotelian "essence" - the "soul" of meaning can be arrived at only by an empiricism without dogmas. Truth not limited to the 20th century).

Remember that Einstein was a pantheist not a believer in a personal god such your beliefs. If you now replace the word “God” with “the Universe” then you will understand what Einstein meant in the correct context of his perspective.
I know that, and I wasn't relying on his beliefs for support (why would it matter what his beliefs were?) - the object of your attention should be his utter inability to accept the idea, precisely because his scientific beliefs effectively equated "the Universe" with "God". It illustrates my point beautifully. As a scientist, Einstein held more credibility than he ever did as a deist or an agnostic.

Agreed, but then on that basis you cannot claim that unknown things are true, the best you can say is “we don’t know”, i.e. the atheist position. Your position is that you claim you do KNOW for certain but can’t show any method where you obtain that claimed knowledge.
I claim to know by extension; what I know directly is a matter of believing my senses and observations, all of which I interpret according to as much knowledge as is available to me. But what distinguishes me from the atheist position is that I believe in God, and in the faith He has inspired along a particular thread of history. These are not "unknown things". Everything that I don't know lies between these parameters - and there as at least as much about God that I don't know as there is about the world and my place in it. My certainty is not about what I know about life, the universe and everything, but in who I believe God to be despite everything I don't know.

But the article does show that among the EDUCATED knowledge displaces myth and superstition, and we know from today that the better educated tend to be the least religious and gullible.
This is a discussion on its own. A Gallup poll showed that "Education is negatively correlated with expressions of religious belief, but maybe positively correlated with religious activity." I.e. educated people make more sincere believers, and given the rigors of faith, it's understandable that not many would choose it. Educated people are arguably also less prone to being manipulated into a belief. Faith in God is the one place where the decision is so voluntary that it's equally possible to choose either path based solely on personal preference. This is easily seen in the number of highly educated people who are (and were throughout history) faithful believers without any feelings that they were compromising their integrity in any way. I would even argue that their integrity was measured by how faithful they were to their beliefs, rather than how successful they were academically. I think people who have stripped themselves of myth and superstition while holding on to an often inconvenient and unpopular truth can be expected to be in the minority.

Last edited:
Back