Just Another Salem," an account by Chester Smalkowski

People believed that witchcraft is real and that witches are dangerous.

People believe similar irrational things today and consider them just as dangerous as they did witches... as you read from this story. The author is drawing a parallel with them as even though nobody was burned in this case, the intolerance based on religious fundamentalism is the same.

I forgot what I was going to say... so much irrationality from Jenyar and Lawdog and so little time in the day...

I will reply later at length if I can.

"Is this about religion, or about injustice and hatred? "

It is about the hatred that religion breeds. On full display from lawdog.

fadingCaptain said:
"Is this about religion, or about injustice and hatred? "

It is about the hatred that religion breeds. On full display from lawdog.
Only judging from the atheist's defense council, it's obvious that such a blanket statement cannot be made. And judging from the way believers are often treated by atheists, it's not only religion that breeds injustice and hatred. Just like theists, their case would have been much stronger if they actually embodied the difference they preached.

Jenyar said:
Only judging from the atheist's defense council, it's obvious that such a blanket statement cannot be made. And judging from the way believers are often treated by atheists, it's not only religion that breeds injustice and hatred. Just like theists, their case would have been much stronger if they actually embodied the difference they preached.

Again, there is NO parallel between a theist forcing their religious views on society and people with no belief objecting to having this fairy tale crap shoved down their throat.

Typical of a moderate to try and state that they are both one and the same thing.

Anyone notice these forums, atleast for some theists here, jhave become a shove-down-your-throat war?

jenyar,
I didn't say anyone that is religious is hateful, why do you insinuate that? Of course there are hateful and bull-headed people on both sides.

Religion can and does breed hatred and separatism. Are you denying that?

KennyJC said:
Again, there is NO parallel between a theist forcing their religious views on society and people with no belief objecting to having this fairy tale crap shoved down their throat.

Typical of a moderate to try and state that they are both one and the same thing.
Injustice is injustice, and hatred is hatred. Do you disagree?

Anybody can force their beliefs on others - including the belief that nobody should have any beliefs. In this case the manipulation came from a religious group. I did not say it went both ways there. Did you think I did?

fadingCaptain said:
jenyar,
I didn't say anyone that is religious is hateful, why do you insinuate that? Of course there are hateful and bull-headed people on both sides.
But according to KennyJC, "there is no parallel" between religious people who are hateful and irreligious people who are hateful (unless he wasn't addressing what I said). Do you disagree with him?

Religion can and does breed hatred and separatism. Are you denying that?
Any strong belief can and often does breed hatred. As for "separatism", what's the problem? The only way that freedom of belief is going to work is if different beliefs are allowed to be kept separate - otherwise there can only be a powerstruggle.

But consider what you said: "It is about the hatred that religion breeds". Is this really the same as saying "It is about the hatred that religion can breed"? Do you understand why I said what I did?

Jenyar said:
Injustice is injustice, and hatred is hatred. Do you disagree?

Anybody can force their beliefs on others - including the belief that nobody should have any beliefs. In this case the manipulation came from a religious group. I did not say it went both ways there. Did you think I did?

I am not talking about hatred or injustice. I am asking what right religious people have to preach their religion and use it for political purposes and other societal issues?

We would not be having this discussion if people learned to kept their stupid beliefs to themselves. Why should any of my potential children be indoctrinated to religion in state schools? Why should my personal right to die when suffering from an unbearable terminal illness be decided by people who belief in the sky fairy? Why should the spread of AIDS be rampant because the church preaches the unworkable solution of mass abstinence instead contraception. Why should the world be plundered in an illegal war perpetrated by the Christian right?

Lawdog:

Most of you have images of the inquisition which were stereotyped into your minds by Hollywood. The same goes with Catholicism in general, you carry around stereotypes that Hollywood has burned into your skulls.

In what ways do you think these stereotypes are incorrect?

You do not try to understand the age in which these events occured, or the theology that justifies it.

What theology can justify the killing of millions of innocent young women?

People believed that witchcraft is real and that witches are dangerous. They were right.

No. Witchcraft is pagan superstition - it's not even a Christian concept. I wonder why you, supposedly a good Catholic, believe in it. Didn't your priest tell you witches aren't real?

Just because countless people no longer believe this and go about reading Harry Potter books like it was some innocent thing, doesnt mean that it is.

What's wrong with Harry Potter?

One person can be correct while myriads err.

Yes...

You are conformists.

You're the one living your life according to a single book.

KennyJC said:
I am not talking about hatred or injustice. I am asking what right religious people have to preach their religion and use it for political purposes and other societal issues?

We would not be having this discussion if people learned to kept their stupid beliefs to themselves. Why should any of my potential children be indoctrinated to religion in state schools? Why should my personal right to die when suffering from an unbearable terminal illness be decided by people who belief in the sky fairy? Why should the spread of AIDS be rampant because the church preaches the unworkable solution of mass abstinence instead contraception. Why should the world be plundered in an illegal war perpetrated by the Christian right?
Short answer: because of sin - injustice, intolerance, and hatred - not just by Christians but non-Christians as well. The greater something's potential for good is, the greater the consequences of abusing it. It's not only religious people who become so concerned with the sanctity of life, and erring on the side of caution, that they forget you can't enforce caution. And abstinence remains the only 100% effective method for preventing AIDS, which is why it's taught. It obviously can't be enforced either, which is why compromise might be necessary. Compromising on AIDS will lead to more deaths. It's not such a simple decision at a policy level, even though it seems to be on a practical level (where people are free to do what they want anyway - it's not illegal to use contraception).

As for illegal wars, it seems to be an American foreign policy issue. It's your democratically elected rulership, for better or worse. With great power comes great responsibility, which leaves room for great abuses. Why does Iraq seem more important to America than Darfur, Rwanda or the DRC? That's not a religious question.

And finally, are you prepared to force your belief that beliefs should not be forced on people? Do you undestand why it's not in man's nature to turn the other cheek, but why it's a necessary alternative to provocation and even oppression? If nobody practices the alternative, the alternative does not exist.

Last edited:
And abstinence remains the only 100% effective method for preventing AIDS, which is why it's taught. It obviously can't be enforced either, which is why compromise might be necessary. Compromising on AIDS will lead to more deaths.

Yes, it is 100% effective if people choose to be abstinent. However encouraging millions of people (especially in countries with high birth rates) to somehow stop having sex is blatantly stupid. Providing and encouraging use of condoms, does on the other hand help. However, theists fail to see the logic in this matter as they are blinded by what their sky fairy apparently seems to want.

As for illegal wars, it seems to be an American foreign policy issue. It's your democratically elected rulership, for better or worse. With great power comes great responsibility, which leaves room for great abuses. Why does Iraq seem more important to America than Darfur, Rwanda or the DRC? That's not a religious question.

Well since it was blindly supported by the religious right who were as always anxious to go on a crusade of sorts, it IS a religious issue.

Religious people will bend over backwards to do something they believe is right, even if it is extremely detrimental. Iraq war, preaching abstinence (ignoring condom use) as well as opposing just about every advancement in genetics which could cure diseases are just a few examples of that.

And finally, are you prepared to force your belief that beliefs should not be forced on people?

Why should the logic that no belief system which is baseless in fact, logic, or rationality have a say in local and foreign affairs on how society should be run? As I have stated, it can not be trusted. Since secularism isn't a 'belief', I am hardly forcing any belief on anyone.

There are no hateful christians, just misinformed

Correct, unfortunately that is in the majority. ;)

misinformed, idiots, delusionals, make the majority of theist anyway.

KennyJC said:
Yes, it is 100% effective if people choose to be abstinent. However encouraging millions of people (especially in countries with high birth rates) to somehow stop having sex is blatantly stupid. Providing and encouraging use of condoms, does on the other hand help. However, theists fail to see the logic in this matter as they are blinded by what their sky fairy apparently seems to want.
You're generalizing. In the first place, it's only some churched that discourage the use of condoms, not "theists" - and the Catholic Church is currently reviewing their policy, as far as I know. I'm just wondering how familiar you are with the problem, to make you so convinced condoms is the answer? In some cases it's like trying to cure a disease with aspirin, a typically "Western" quick-fix solution. Would you be surprised if it turned out circumcision has a higher success rate of preventing AIDS in third world countries? Talk about people failing to see the logic.

Well since it was blindly supported by the religious right who were as always anxious to go on a crusade of sorts, it IS a religious issue.

Religious people will bend over backwards to do something they believe is right, even if it is extremely detrimental. Iraq war, preaching abstinence (ignoring condom use) as well as opposing just about every advancement in genetics which could cure diseases are just a few examples of that.
You mean stem cells? The problem is with harvesting living embryos, as far as I know. If it can be done ethically, there will be no resistance. In the case of the Iraq war, I can only wonder at the irony that it seems to be secular America who is prepared to turn the other cheek (if it's genuine). But since America's chief export is spin, it's hard for an outsider to know what's really going on (a recent nationwide survey in America found that only 10% of people's opinion about the war was shaped by religion, 41% was influenced by the media and 16% by personal experience). Personally, I've never spoken to a Christian who supports the war. So to me the problem seems more "American" (Republican?) than "religious". You just seem particularly bitter about being at the narrow end of its flaunted democracy.

It must be said that a pre-emptive strike against Hitler would probably have prevented World War II. It's an uncomfortable example of how diplomacy failed, and how American inaction seemed like callous apathy to those suffering - and it made its eventual entry into the War seem so much more hypocritical. If the facts Intelligence reported about WMDs were correct, would you have supported a pre-emptive strike (if not the war)?
Why should the logic that no belief system which is baseless in fact, logic, or rationality have a say in local and foreign affairs on how society should be run? As I have stated, it can not be trusted. Since secularism isn't a 'belief', I am hardly forcing any belief on anyone.
There's never a single "belief" in any system (that's why it's called a system), but there are always the beliefs it is made up of. I'll put it to you as a question: Do you believe Christianity "is baseless in fact, logic, or rationality" and do you believe Christians should not "have a say in local and foreign affairs on how society should be run"? Why should your beliefs be trusted, since historically many atrocities have also been committed under the banner of atheism when it had a say in local and foreign affairs?

Last edited:
Jenyar,
'Do you understand why I said what I did? "

Yes, I see your point. To me it is sematics...religion 'can' breed hatred, therefore it 'does' breed hatred in the real world. But, I see why you would want to qualify. I am looking at the current geopolitical landscape. It is obvious religion is THE major issue of the world today. It is the source of the majority of conflict, discrimination, and yes, hatred. Would you agree?

"Why should your beliefs be trusted, since historically many atrocities have also been committed under the banner of atheism when it had a say in local and foreign affairs? "

Can you point me to a time when an army or dictator held aloft a "banner" of atheism? Of course it could happen, but has it really? Don't confuse a political ideology (ie. communism) with atheism. Unless you are willing to say anyone that doesn't believe in god is necessarily a communist. I think an honest, objective look at history would find religion to be a spark for vast amounts of bloodshed, while numerous other political and economical reasons accounting for the rest.

Jenyar said:
You're generalizing. In the first place, it's only some churched that discourage the use of condoms, not "theists" - and the Catholic Church is currently reviewing their policy, as far as I know. I'm just wondering how familiar you are with the problem, to make you so convinced condoms is the answer? In some cases it's like trying to cure a disease with aspirin, a typically "Western" quick-fix solution. Would you be surprised if it turned out circumcision has a higher success rate of preventing AIDS in third world countries? Talk about people failing to see the logic.

Well clearly I am more familiar with the problem than you are if you consider abstinence the best option in the fight to reduce AIDS. In theory, it is the best option. In practice it ranks far... FAR below that of education on safe sex and distribution of condoms. The church is clear, most religious people agree and the US promotes abstinence over condom use, and their charity work for teaching abstinence almost drowns out that of charities who place a higher importance on contraception and safe sex education.

You mean stem cells?

I mean all/most advances in genetics which people consider 'playing God'.

The problem is with harvesting living embryos, as far as I know. If it can be done ethically, there will be no resistance.

Well this is the major problem that theists pose. They hold the preservation of a few cells in higher regard to that of living adults and children with cancers, diabetis, arthiritis etc.. Clearly, the theist does not have a healthy view on what is ethical and what is not when treating disease.

But since America's chief export is spin, it's hard for an outsider to know what's really going on (a recent nationwide survey in America found that only 10% of people's opinion about the war was shaped by religion, 41% was influenced by the media and 16% by personal experience).

A few points here: 10% is equal to 30 million people who openly admit to supporting a war based on religious reasons. I think the figure of 10% is surprisingly high since most would no doubt rather not say their religion was a prime role in their support for the war. A more interesting poll would be to ask secular or non-religious Americans and ask religious Americans wether they supported the war (preferably before the invasion). I would imagine the percentage would be significantly higher for the more religious of Americans.

If the facts Intelligence reported about WMDs were correct, would you have supported a pre-emptive strike (if not the war)?

No. How many people have died (civilian and troops) in the mere 3 years since the beginning of the war? How many have died due to the increased tension between the west and the middle east due to this war? This is not the benefit of hindsight, this was known by virtually every sensible person beforehand. Why would Saddam's weedy WMD's (which didn't exist) pose more a threat to human life than a rampaging American army and the anti-western hatred & violence that we see everyday in the news since?

Do you believe Christianity "is baseless in fact, logic, or rationality" and do you believe Christians should not "have a say in local and foreign affairs on how society should be run"? Why should your beliefs be trusted, since historically many atrocities have also been committed under the banner of atheism when it had a say in local and foreign affairs?

Making this too easy for me.

Christianity is baseless in fact, logic and reason, as the only thing you have to support your superstition is a fairy tale book.

Why do you group atheism with fascist dictatorships? I am atheist but would strongly reject an atheist totalitarian rule. The healthiest option for any society is secularism. The nations with the better societal record, and most peaceful nations tend to be particularly irreligious.

Secularism
1. Religious skepticism or indifference.
2. The view that religious considerations should be excluded from civil affairs or public education.

fadingCaptain said:
Jenyar,
'Do you understand why I said what I did? "

Yes, I see your point. To me it is sematics...religion 'can' breed hatred, therefore it 'does' breed hatred in the real world. But, I see why you would want to qualify. I am looking at the current geopolitical landscape. It is obvious religion is THE major issue of the world today. It is the source of the majority of conflict, discrimination, and yes, hatred. Would you agree?
Sometimes semantics can cause a lot of misunderstandings. Especially in a place like this, where we rely almost completely on language for meaning. But I understand what you mean as well.

Religion would be the major source of conflict - and it's probably the major source of most human activities, good or bad, since 86% of the world is religious and only 14% is non-religious or anti-religious. And according to Religioustolerance.org the number of atheists worldwide is actually declining (along with Christianity) - although the trend might turn again as the growing First World becomes more secular. But yes, when religious people are hateful and intolerant it is often so noticable that it easily eclipses less agenda-driven hatred. Being religious myself and spending a lot of time in religious company I'm very aware how venomous it can be. Like I said, the greater the potential for good, the greater is potential for evil.

This is not directly related, but you might also enjoy it: The Demand for Religion: Hard Core Atheism and "Supply Side" Theory.

Can you point me to a time when an army or dictator held aloft a "banner" of atheism? Of course it could happen, but has it really? Don't confuse a political ideology (ie. communism) with atheism. Unless you are willing to say anyone that doesn't believe in god is necessarily a communist. I think an honest, objective look at history would find religion to be a spark for vast amounts of bloodshed, while numerous other political and economical reasons accounting for the rest.
Since religion used to be synonymous with people's prevailing wordview (i.e. it included the fields science specializes in today), it's logical that religion informed most people's actions - good or bad - for the greater part of human history. The way people act depends on what they believe in, and it was as true then as it is now - which made Judaism significant for believing in an invisible God who expected uncompromising obedience to essentially abstract qualities - morality, love, justice. It had an "ideology" of morality. This inevitably took form as rituals and religious laws, "absolutes" that could never be sufficient for their own sake, but could still corrupt absolutely. But I digress...

Do you have examples of atheists in power position who managed not to mix it up with their politics? Russia had an atheist government under Stalin and Lenin that attempted to breed out religion for 70 years, with ideas borrowed from Marx. Their communism and socialism relied on an atheistic agenda, not the other way around. The same can be said for Mussolini and Fascism, or Pol Pot's agrarian communism. And who knows what Kim Jong Il is up to in North Korea. No doubt other ideologies can arise from atheism (as they can from theism), but it certainly fulfils the present criteria of "can and does".

If we are distinguishing between ideology and belief, then by the same token you should not confuse a religious ideology (such as theocracy or Christian democracy) with religious beliefs. But maybe we're having trouble with semantics again. Here is a quote from Adherents.com:
Sociologically, Communism is as much a religion as other "traditional" religions such as Islam or Christianity, although it promotes (often forcibly) beliefs which would categorize its adherents as atheists. So in Communist countries, large proportions of people may be properly classified as atheists and also Communists, but they would not be considered secular or "nonreligious" in the sociological sense.​

Last edited:
Provita said:
Anyone notice these forums, atleast for some theists here, jhave become a shove-down-your-throat war?
Ooh! Me!

How many people here are actually interested in discussing religion instead of engaging in a belief system pissing contest? (And how many of the latter type are aware they are wrong no matter what they think?)

KennyJC said:
Well clearly I am more familiar with the problem than you are if you consider abstinence the best option in the fight to reduce AIDS. In theory, it is the best option. In practice it ranks far... FAR below that of education on safe sex and distribution of condoms. The church is clear, most religious people agree and the US promotes abstinence over condom use, and their charity work for teaching abstinence almost drowns out that of charities who place a higher importance on contraception and safe sex education.
I was talking about the theory. As I said, practice and necessity may force a compromise for those churches who have not yet been willing to compromise. In Africa, at least, most Christians advocate the A-B-C strategy (Abstain, Be faithful, or use a Condom). The focus of educators is still on behaviour change, since that addresses the problem at the root. Condoms are a last line defense (mainly distributed at bars and brothels). In places where the emphasis is placed on condoms, rates of abstinence and fidelity go down, with predictable results. Not that they have much chance: many believe, like you, that A and B are simply "Western" ideological or religious propaganda. And in effect, they are like condoms that aren't being used.

I mean all/most advances in genetics which people consider 'playing God'.
It sounds like a stereotype. None of the Christian scientists or doctors I know or have read about are that ignorant. Whatever information we have about ourselves and our nature is ours to use as creatively and beneficially as we can. But also as ethically and repsonsibly.

Well this is the major problem that theists pose. They hold the preservation of a few cells in higher regard to that of living adults and children with cancers, diabetis, arthiritis etc.. Clearly, the theist does not have a healthy view on what is ethical and what is not when treating disease.
What is a human life worth? To put it into religious terms you might understand better: the church is trying to prevent the practice of human sacrifice. No matter how noble the purpose seems. A medical ethicist is concerned with the question: does the end justify the means? An unhealthy view, in my opinion, would be to make an emotional argument about how much good can come from a little evil, without first finding out if it has really come to that. You were also just "a few cells" once...

A few points here: 10% is equal to 30 million people who openly admit to supporting a war based on religious reasons. I think the figure of 10% is surprisingly high since most would no doubt rather not say their religion was a prime role in their support for the war. A more interesting poll would be to ask secular or non-religious Americans and ask religious Americans wether they supported the war (preferably before the invasion). I would imagine the percentage would be significantly higher for the more religious of Americans.
Here is the survey online... keep in mind that the stereotypical "Evangelical" attitude in America seems to be peculiar to America ("Although evangelicals are currently seen as being on the Christian Right in the United States, there are those in the center and Christian Left as well. In other countries there is no particular political stance associated with evangelicals" - Wikipedia: Evangelicalism): Different faiths, different messages (PDF).
On page 4:
"Religious differences have little effect on attitudes toward the morality of war. Fewer than one-in-five white evangelical Protestants (15%), non-Hispanic Catholics (16%), and mainline Protestants (18%) believe that war is never morally justified. A slightly larger minority of seculars (25%) holds the view that war is never morally warranted, but more than seven-in-ten seculars (73%) say war is sometimes morally justified."​
In other words, from a secular perspective it seems Christians may never, but seculars may or may not (44% in favour of war, 44% against - p.3).

No. How many people have died (civilian and troops) in the mere 3 years since the beginning of the war? How many have died due to the increased tension between the west and the middle east due to this war? This is not the benefit of hindsight, this was known by virtually every sensible person beforehand. Why would Saddam's weedy WMD's (which didn't exist) pose more a threat to human life than a rampaging American army and the anti-western hatred & violence that we see everyday in the news since?
The survey shows that most Christians had the same reservations. But those fears were outweighed by political concerns (Republican vs. Democrat - p.5). A different foreign policy would have caused a different result.

Making this too easy for me.
It's not a test.

Christianity is baseless in fact, logic and reason, as the only thing you have to support your superstition is a fairy tale book.
That is a belief - your belief - and the only evidence you present for this assertion is the assertion itself, apparently based on the strength of your belief. Even if you did provide what you considered evidence, it could still be disbelieved just because someone wishes to. One might say with equal conviction that "the only thing" you have to support your naturalism is science, as if that settled it - and it wouldn't. Both are simply descriptive accounts of observation, which must interpreted and believed or disbelieved. How we interpret or believe it is everything, and may be equally logical/reasonable or illogical/unreasonable. Which facts, what logic, what reason, what context, what premises? Without specific examples, it's impossible (or at least, unreasonable) to make the blanket statement as you have.

Why do you group atheism with fascist dictatorships? I am atheist but would strongly reject an atheist totalitarian rule. The healthiest option for any society is secularism. The nations with the better societal record, and most peaceful nations tend to be particularly irreligious.
Atheism isn't the same as secularism. All atheists may be secular, but not all seculars are atheist. Mussolini was an atheist, and he coined the term Fascism. I certainly don't know why he thought it was a good idea, but he did not strongly reject totalitarian rule. So in that example, they were grouped. In your example, religion and intolerance was grouped. The deciding difference was whether life had inherent sanctity or not.

If you look at this list of atheist/atheist-friendly countries, you'll see that your statement might need some qualification.

At the very least, seculars and atheists seem just as divided and prone to hatred as the worst theists. At best they are evenly divided over the issues you feel so strongly about. It seems to indicate a stalemate, and the only way forward is by a mutual recognition and tolerance of beliefs. Either/or does not have a very good track record.

Last edited:
Back