John Clayton

Originally posted by Raithere
Still, he does have an interesting and original point of view.

Please tell me what is so original about my point of veiw?

But essentially, Jan is a fundamentalist in that everything is reinterpreted by him to be in accordance with certain beliefs.

You have no idea what I am, you are too busy defending atheism. :p

Counter arguments, as you have witnessed, are simply dismissed in order to maintain this particular perspective.

LOL!!!! What counter arguments?

Another tendency is his erroneous redefinition of terms, such as he does with the word science, in order to defend particular statements.

LOL!!!!:D Your really cracking me up.

I said;

“In the sense that “science” means knowledge.”

Websters Dict; science Knowledge; knowledge of principles and causes; ascertained truth of facts.
The state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding.

In another post I said;

“Modern science is, observing and experimenting with phenomena, its concern is with the materials and functions of the “physical” universe.”

Websters Dict. : knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method b : such knowledge or such a system of knowledge concerned with the physical world and its phenomena :

Wrong again Raithere. :(

Love

Jan Ardena.

You need to re-read our posts then Jan. Several of us have pointed out errors in his reasoning.
They are only errors from your POV.

Of course this depends upon which definition of God you are referring to but essentially you are correct.

Where people are involved, you will find many different descriptions/definitions of the one God, because there are innumerable traits to His Character and Personality. But the god I am reffering to, is the ONE who is known as the; Original Cause of everything that is, was, and will be.

However, it has on occasion disproved various claims as to the physical manifestations of God's effect upon the world.

It cannot successfully complete such tasks until it knows the origin of everything including itself. So I take your boastful claims with a pinch of salt.

Testimonial evidence has been clearly shown to be highly unreliable;

I believe you misunderstood. I was not referring to testimony, just to the fact that so many people from all walks of life either develop belief or think there is a possiblity that God created the phenominal world.

His error lies in misrepresenting his experience as the experience of all atheists.

You see it as an error, but I don’t.
Why don’t you give an example of his generalisations.

Certainly Cris and I do not share his experience.

Maybe he is only using his experiences to explain where his head was at, at the time. And maybe it is what lies behind those experiences at that time, that he is trying to get across.

Quote,

At one time in my life, I was totally and firmly convicted that there was no such thing as God and that anybody who believed in God was silly, superstitious, ignorant and had simply not looked at the evidence. I felt that believers in God were uneducated and were just following traditions, superstitions and things that really made no sense to a person who was aware of what was going on around him. Of course, that kind of life and conviction led me to do and say things and to be something that was really very unpleasant.

Are you seriously telling me, you cannot recognise yourself and Cris (sorry Cris, just being honest) in the above exert?

Therefore, his generalization is quite simply erroneous which makes this point of his argument invalid.

Point out some of this erroneous generalisation.

No. Science is a particular method of attaining knowledge. It is not synonymous with the word knowledge.

Not according to Websters.

There are some things that are quite simply beyond the scope of science.

You bet there are! :D

Love

Jan Ardena.

Originally posted by Jan Ardena
Please tell me what is so original about my point of veiw?
In my experience your particular mix Hinduism/Christianity is rather original as is your interpretation on the founding religious texts of each. Perhaps I am wrong and there are many people with this interesting perspective but you're the only one I've ever met and discussed religion with. Thus I find your opinion original.

You have no idea what I am, you are too busy defending atheism.
I don't defend atheism, I discuss issues. I only consider myself atheist as a technical fact; practically I don't find that the label fits very well and within some contexts I can actually be considered a theist.

LOL!!!! What counter arguments?
Thank you for demonstrating my point.

I said; “In the sense that “science” means knowledge.”
I stand corrected. I did state that poorly. It's not that you erroneously redefine the word but you manipulate its usage within the context of the topic. Let's examine this particular exchange:

hshatfield: Anyone that thinks science has the answer to everything, hasn't studied science or hasn't learned very well

Jan: In a sense, science does have the answer to everything, it just depends on what you term "science."

hshatfield: In what sense are you talking about?

Jan : In the sense that “science” means knowledge. Knowledge is not only to be found via scientific observation or experiment, even though some would disagree.

In context, what you said was, 'knowledge has the answer to everything' which is rather nonsensical and not what hshatfield was talking about.

Science, as it was initially being used was in reference to the particular method(s) of knowing that we call Science. You then change to using it to mean knowledge in order to support your refutation that science does indeed have the answer to everything even though you then revert back to its referencing method to ultimately agree with the point you were refuting by saying that "knowledge is not only to be found via scientific obersevation...".

I find it rather brilliant in an odd sort of way, because you make it seem as if you have won a point in the argument even though what you said ultimately poses no conflict with, and actually supports, hshatfield's assertion.

The only question I have is whether you do this deliberately or whether your thinking is actually this confused.

(edit)

~Raithere

They are only errors from your POV.
No, he has made many logical and factual errors as well as a number of errors from a scientific viewpoint.

But the god I am reffering to, is the ONE who is known as the; Original Cause of everything that is, was, and will be.
Fine and well until one attempts to assert specific conditions and traits to such an infinite being.

It cannot successfully complete such tasks until it knows the origin of everything including itself. So I take your boastful claims with a pinch of salt.
If God has an effect on the physical world such an effect would be measurable. One does not have to know everything in order to know some things.

I believe you misunderstood. I was not referring to testimony, just to the fact that so many people from all walks of life either develop belief or think there is a possiblity that God created the phenominal world.
Yes, you were referring to testimonial evidence, as opposed to empirical evidence.

Testimonial: "A statement in support of a particular truth, fact, or claim."
Empirical: "Relying on or derived from observation or experiment"
(AHD)

Why don’t you give an example of his generalisations.
We already have:

"Mistake #2: "The atheist has always maintained that there was no beginning"

This is simply factually incorrect. Many atheists belive that the Universe began with the "big-bang", for instance.

Mistake #3: "The Humanist Manifesto says, "Matter is self-existing and not created," and that is a concise statement of the atheist's belief."

No, that would be a concise statement of The Humanist Manifesto regarding matter and existence. A concise statement of atheistic belief would be, "There is no God." Of course, that in itself is misleading and incomplete as the majority of atheists hold no atheistic beliefs only disbelief."

Maybe he is only using his experiences to explain where his head was at, at the time. And maybe it is what lies behind those experiences at that time, that he is trying to get across.
No, he continually asserts that a particular position is that of all atheists.

Are you seriously telling me, you cannot recognise yourself and Cris (sorry Cris, just being honest) in the above exert?
Quite honestly; I do not. I do not consider theists to be more silly, superstitious, or ignorant than anyone else. Nor do I find that 'this kind of life and conviction' leads me to say or be something very unpleasant. I share very few of the views that he claims all atheists share. He is therefore wrong seeing as that I am an atheist.

Point out some of this erroneous generalisation.
See above.

Not according to Websters.
Yes, according to Websters:

"1. Knowledge; knowledge of principles and causes; ascertained truth of facts.

2. Accumulated and established knowledge, which has been systematized and formulated with reference to the discovery of general truths or the operation of general laws; knowledge classified and made available in work, life, or the search for truth; comprehensive, profound, or philosophical knowledge.

3. Especially, such knowledge when it relates to the physical world and its phenomena, the nature, constitution, and forces of matter, the qualities and functions of living tissues, etc.; -- called also natural science, and physical science.

4. Any branch or department of systematized knowledge considered as a distinct field of investigation or object of study; as, the science of astronomy, of chemistry, or of mind.

Usage: Science, Literature, Art. Science is literally knowledge, but more usually denotes a systematic and orderly arrangement of knowledge. In a more distinctive sense, science embraces those branches of knowledge of which the subject-matter is either ultimate principles, or facts as explained by principles or laws thus arranged in natural order.'' --Karslake.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc." (emphasis mine)

You bet there are!
The problem lies in determining the veracity of such things.

~Raithere

In context, what you said was, 'knowledge has the answer to everything' which is rather nonsensical and not what hshatfield was talking about.

To know something, don’t we have to have knowledge of that particular thing?
If we want to know “everything,” then we have to have knowledge.
It would be silly to say “knowledge of everything” as that would specify a particular subject and leave room for more knowledge. “Everything” cannot, imho, be quantified, it would be like trying to measure infinity.
The first definition of “science” is “knowledge,” it does not specify what type of knowledge. So, to “know” everything, one must certainly have “knowledge” which is the description of “science.”
That is why I said “in a sense.”

Hshatfield said; “Anyone that thinks science has the answer to everything, hasn't studied science or hasn't learned very well.” To which I replied; “In a sense, science does have the answer to everything, it just depends on what you term "science."
Now, he previously stated that Clayton had said; “.
"I had always felt that science could ultimately answer all the questions that man had."
Look carefully at his statement and you will see the word “felt” and the words “all the questions that man had." He wasn’t making an absolute statement. All I did was open our young friends mind up to the wider aspect of the ultimate meaning of science, to add to what he already knew.

Science, as it was initially being used was in reference to the particular method(s) of knowing that we call Science.

Yes (from hshatfields position) and no (from Claytons position). Clayton used the word “felt” which is not generally associated with modern scientific method, and as such we cannot be sure. Of course feelings and emotions are phenomena as well, and as such can be observed, but that branch of knowledge doesn’t come under scientific method. But it obviously comes under "science" by its definition.

You then change to using it to mean knowledge in order to support your refutation that science does indeed have the answer to everything even though you then revert back to its referencing method to ultimately agree with the point you were refuting by saying that "knowledge is not only to be found via scientific obersevation...".

Firstly, there is no question of change, “science” does mean knowledge, no cloak or daggers. Secondly, there was nothing to refute, the argument at no time centered around whether "knowledge is not only to be found via scientific obersevation..." But the fact is; "knowledge is not only to be found via scientific obersevation..."

I find it rather brilliant in an odd sort of way, because you make it seem as if you have won a point in the argument even though what you said ultimately poses no conflict with, and actually supports, hshatfield's assertion.

That is a case of you reading into things that aren’t there, your mind working overtime.

The only question I have is whether you do this deliberately or whether your thinking is actually this confused.

See above.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Fine and well until one attempts to assert specific conditions and traits to such an infinite being.

There is no need to assert specific conditions and traits to God, any information needed is in the scripture.

If God has an effect on the physical world such an effect would be measurable. One does not have to know everything in order to know some things.

What effect, to be measured, would scientists be looking for?
Maybe one doesn’t have to know everything, but they should know what they are looking for.

Yes, you were referring to testimonial evidence, as opposed to empirical evidence.

I agree testimonial evidence falls within the scope of my point, but I was not referring to it.

"Mistake #2: "The atheist has always maintained that there was no beginning"

This is simply factually incorrect. Many atheists belive that the Universe began with the "big-bang", for instance.

But they do not know the cause of the bang. They claim, either it came out of nothing, or the universe is infinate, and bang is part of a series of cycles. The latter suggests no beginning and although the former postulates a begining, the concept is fundamentally flawed, and therefore cannot technically have a beginning.

Mistake #3: "The Humanist Manifesto says, "Matter is self-existing and not created," and that is a concise statement of the atheist's belief."

No, that would be a concise statement of The Humanist Manifesto regarding matter and existence. A concise statement of atheistic belief would be, "There is no God." Of course, that in itself is misleading and incomplete as the majority of atheists hold no atheistic beliefs only disbelief."

Okay, you are “technically” and atheist, yes?
Do you believe matter was “created?”
In fact this question should be put to all atheist on sciforums. Does anybody believe matter was created?

Yes, according to Websters:

"1. Knowledge; knowledge of principles and causes; ascertained truth of facts.

2. Accumulated and established knowledge, which has been systematized and formulated with reference to the discovery of general truths or the operation of general laws; knowledge classified and made available in work, life, or the search for truth; comprehensive, profound, or philosophical knowledge.

Here is my source; [url]http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary[/url]

Love

Jan Ardena.

To know something, don’t we have to have knowledge of that particular thing?
If we want to know “everything,” then we have to have knowledge.
Pardon?

Look carefully at his statement and you will see the word “felt” and the words “all the questions that man had." He wasn’t making an absolute statement.
Firstly, there is no question of change, “science” does mean knowledge, no cloak or daggers.
Try looking at a larger portion of the paragraph:

"This rather upset me. I did not appreciate that and I said, "Well, what do you mean?" He said, "This is not a question that a scientist tries to answer. This is a question for the philosopher or theologian, but this is not something that falls into the realm of science." I was very disturbed by that answer. I had always felt that science could ultimately answer all the questions that man had-- that there was nothing that science could not eventually take care of as far as what man might challenge and want to know about--yet this learned man, an expert in his field, said that this was an area that the scientist should not even try to answer--that it was totally beyond the capacity of science to explain and explore. "

Very clearly, science has been identified as separate and specific from other methods of acquiring knowledge; not as knowledge in general. Clayton was disappointed in the professor's response that some questions were better answered by the fields of philosophy or theology as opposed to the field of science.

Sorry, but your interpretation falls out of context. Clayton is quite clearly differentiating science from alternative approaches to knowledge.

That is a case of you reading into things that aren’t there, your mind working overtime.
My mind works 24/7.

There is no need to assert specific conditions and traits to God, any information needed is in the scripture.
Which would be one of the testimonies I was referring to.

What effect, to be measured, would scientists be looking for?
It depends upon the claim being made. Some people, for instance, have claimed to be able to heal others though the supernatural power of God. In such cases scientists have examined the healing of people both with and without such 'assistance' only to find that there is no statistical correlation (both groups had the same rate of recovery). Various other claims, when scientifically tested, have likewise been proven false.

I agree testimonial evidence falls within the scope of my point, but I was not referring to it.
Yes, you were directly referring to testimonial evidence as "expressed beliefs". Here is what you said, "But from past and present people from all walks of life, some brilliant some not have expressed beliefs in God, or considered that there may be a god, these include a host of scientists." This would, in fact, be testimonial evidence.

But they do not know the cause of the bang. They claim, either it came out of nothing, or the universe is infinate, and bang is part of a series of cycles. The latter suggests no beginning and although the former postulates a begining, the concept is fundamentally flawed, and therefore cannot technically have a beginning.
Technically this is irrelevant, the fact remains that not all atheists believe the Universe is infinite. But there is no fundamental flaw as you assert; the hypothesis is simply not constrained by our common-sense notion of causality. Nor, if you bother to examine it, is the hypothesis of a creator God or an infinite Universe.

Okay, you are “technically” and atheist, yes?
Do you believe matter was “created?”
Regarding this question, technically, I am agnostic. I do not presume to know whether matter was caused by something else or came into existence ex nihlo. However, once again this is irrelevant as atheism makes no such assertion even if some, or even most, individual atheists do.

~Raithere

Pardon?
If we want to know something specifically, then we have to acquire knowledge of that particular thing, Yes?
“Everything” is not a subject matter, as it cannot be quantified, measured, or put into some sort of category.
The term primarily used to describe science is “knowledge” as opposed to “not knowing or ignorance.” This knowledge cannot be quantified/measured, in the same way that “everything” cannot be quantified. It just is.
So, to know everything, one must have knowledge, period. Therefore science and knowledge must be the same thing. The only difference (for want of a better word) is that with science the knowledge can be broken up into specific areas. So in that sense science has the answers to everything.
Very clearly, science has been identified as separate and specific from other methods of acquiring knowledge; not as knowledge in general. Clayton was disappointed in the professor's response that some questions were better answered by the fields of philosophy or theology as opposed to the field of science.
Not really! Clayton could have been disappointed because the professor fell short in the true meaning of what science meant by saying; “it does not fall in the realm of science” and then going on to say (in so many words) that philosophy and theology were not part of science (knowledge).
Sorry, but your interpretation falls out of context. Clayton is quite clearly differentiating science from alternative approaches to knowledge.
Maybe superficially he sees knowledge as localised, but subconsciously realises that knowledge cannot be differentiated anymore than water can.
Really we would have to ask him.
Which would be one of the testimonies I was referring to.
But it is not a testimony. If you want to know something properly, then you go to the source, or somebody who is aware of the source, this is obtaining knowledge.
How would you know if somebody was genuinely aware of the source?
By how they act.
How are they supposed to act?
According to the rules and regulation set by the source.
How would we know?
By studying the source objectively. If we don’t, then we can’t know, we speculate. So it boils down to the intelligence of each individual.
It depends upon the claim being made. Some people, for instance, have claimed to be able to heal others though the supernatural power of God. In such cases scientists have examined the healing of people both with and without such 'assistance' only to find that there is no statistical correlation (both groups had the same rate of recovery).
Why would this mean their claims are not valid?
How would you know?
Various other claims, when scientifically tested, have likewise been proven false.
I don’t doubt that for a moment. But healing is not a very good subject to measure the effects of God, because there are various methods of healing widely available today.
What other effects have they measured?
Yes, you were directly referring to testimonial evidence as "expressed beliefs". Here is what you said, "But from past and present people from all walks of life, some brilliant some not have expressed beliefs in God, or considered that there may be a god, these include a host of scientists." This would, in fact, be testimonial evidence.
It could well be, but that is not where I am coming from. I mean, there are literally millions if not billions of people, past and present who must have expressed belief, if in-fact they do believe in God, but I have not heard or seen their testimonies.
Technically this is irrelevant, the fact remains that not all atheists believe the Universe is infinite.
I never stated they did, nor did Clayton. My point was that all actively strong atheists cannot adhere to the idea of matter being created because this would imply a creator, which would invalidate their position as an atheist. So they come up with 2 ideas, either the universe came from nothing into existence or the universe is infinite and therefore there is no need of a creator. Each idea stresses matter was not created.
But there is no fundamental flaw as you assert; the hypothesis is simply not constrained by our common-sense notion of causality. Nor, if you bother to examine it, is the hypothesis of a creator God or an infinite Universe.
But as it stands at the moment, there is no demonstrable evidence which supports the idea of matter coming from nothing. So to hold on to this fundamentally absurd idea, in the hope that one day evidence will emerge, is among other things, dogmatic, despite all the evidence that there is cause to this universal manifestation. One such evidence simply being “life comes from life.”
Regarding this question, technically, I am agnostic. I do not presume to know whether matter was caused by something else or came into existence ex nihlo.
My question was do you believe matter was created, not do you know matter was created. As we are talking about belief I would have thought the answer should either be yes or no. So I will ask again in the hope of a simple answer; Do you believe matter was created?
However, once again this is irrelevant as atheism makes no such assertion even if some, or even most, individual atheists do.
In one sense you are telling me atheism is not a body of people with a certain collective mindset, then in another sense you are saying atheism is uniformed in that “it” would not make any such assertions. This is just as ambiguous as your claim to whether you are atheist or agnostic. :)

Love

Jan Ardena.

If we want to know something specifically, then we have to acquire knowledge of that particular thing, Yes?
Yes, to have knowledge one must acquire it. And in order to have a can of baked beans one must acquire it.

This knowledge cannot be quantified/measured, in the same way that “everything” cannot be quantified. It just is.
I disagree, for as you stated one must acquire knowledge. Once acquired, knowledge may be quantified, measured, qualified, and categorized. In fact, this is the very essence of knowledge.

So, to know everything, one must have knowledge, period.
But this is not what you were saying.

Raithere : However, it has on occasion disproved various claims as to the physical manifestations of God's effect upon the world.

Jan: It cannot successfully complete such tasks until it knows the origin of everything including itself.

If one needs to know the origin of everything in order to know anything then no one knows anything.

Therefore science and knowledge must be the same thing. The only difference (for want of a better word) is that with science the knowledge can be broken up into specific areas. So in that sense science has the answers to everything.
You're still not making any sense. If the only use of the word science is equated with knowledge then what do you call, and how do you classify such systematic methods of acquiring knowledge such as Biology, Physics, and Mathematics. And how are these methods different from other fields such as Philosophy, Logic, Metaphysics, Theology, Art, and Literature? Or is everything the same from your perspective?

Not really! Clayton could have been disappointed because the professor fell short in the true meaning of what science meant by saying; “it does not fall in the realm of science” and then going on to say (in so many words) that philosophy and theology were not part of science (knowledge).
I disagree.

But it is not a testimony.
Yes, they are. Most often they are not even first-hand testimonies but hearsay passed down for generations before being written down but even those that were written first hand are testimonies of the experiences of the individuals who wrote them. The alternative would be that reading the texts was the equivalent of the experience itself.

Why would this mean their claims are not valid?
How would you know?
They could indeed be valid. But since we cannot know for sure our best course of action in determining their validity is to use the investigatory methods I mentioned earlier.

I don’t doubt that for a moment. But healing is not a very good subject to measure the effects of God, because there are various methods of healing widely available today.
No, that would not affect the outcome of a proper study.

What other effects have they measured?
All kinds of claims; precognition, telepathy, telekinesis, ghosts, spiritual guides, far sight, communicating with the dead, numerous miracles (such as bleeding statues), faith healing.

It could well be, but that is not where I am coming from. I mean, there are literally millions if not billions of people, past and present who must have expressed belief, if in-fact they do believe in God, but I have not heard or seen their testimonies.
Of course not, the testimonies have been filtered into statistical summaries. But the basis is still personal testimony. How else would one know that billions of people believe in various Gods?

I never stated they did, nor did Clayton.
Clayton stated, "The atheist has always maintained that there was no beginning". If he meant to say that some atheists' maintain there was no beginning then that's what he should have said. Either he is wrong or he such a terrible writer that he cannot communicate such things clearly, in which case he's not worth reading anyway.

My point was that all actively strong atheists cannot adhere to the idea of matter being created because this would imply a creator, which would invalidate their position as an atheist.
What about atheists who believe that matter was created by someone or something that is not God; such as pantheists or Buddhists?

But as it stands at the moment, there is no demonstrable evidence which supports the idea of matter coming from nothing.
Yes there is. The phenomena are known as virtual particles and their existence (and disappearance) has been well demonstrated and documented.

So to hold on to this fundamentally absurd idea, in the hope that one day evidence will emerge
Sorry to burst your bubble but it already has (see above).

One such evidence simply being “life comes from life.”
And fire comes from fire... but fire can also arise from non-fire. Water comes from water too (ice, water, steam) but water can come from non-water (H2O). I don't see any discrepancy, particularly after noting that all the necessary components for life occur quite naturally and are prevalent throughout the Universe.

So I will ask again in the hope of a simple answer; Do you believe matter was created?
By whom or what? Sorry but you need to be specific. But if you mean by God then my answer is, "No."

In one sense you are telling me atheism is not a body of people with a certain collective mindset, then in another sense you are saying atheism is uniformed in that “it” would not make any such assertions.
The universal atheist position makes no assertions al all, it is simply, "Disbelief in God(s)." There is also the 'strong' atheist position which makes the assertion, "There is no God(s)." Atheism makes no other assertions. In just the same way the universal theist position is, "Belief in God(s)." While the strong position is, "God exists." Beyond that one has to search quite hard to find any collective assertions and when brought to the level of the individual there are none.

This is just as ambiguous as your claim to whether you are atheist or agnostic.
As I stated, technically I am an atheist in that I do no believe in an existent God. However, I am willing to work with certain conceptions of God in the abstract that make such a classification incorrect in an absolute sense.

~Raithere

Yes there is. The phenomena are known as virtual particles and their existence (and disappearance) has been well demonstrated and documented.
Sorry to burst your bubble but it already has (see above).

I don't think that's correct, Raithere.
Virtual particles like electromagnetic quanta, or photons, have no mass. Therefore, some, including myself, would not consider them matter at all.
Are there virtual particles with mass? I don' t know. Do you? If so, could you give a quoatation or link?
I believe that some of the singularity-related work of Hawking has shone some light on this topic, though I cannot be sure.

[edit]
Ack . . . I did look at this thread again . . . :(
[/edit]

Originally posted by Redoubtable
Virtual particles like electromagnetic quanta, or photons, have no mass. Therefore, some, including myself, would not consider them matter at all.
Are there virtual particles with mass? I don' t know. Do you? If so, could you give a quoatation or link?
Virtual photons, being photons, do not have mass. However, there are other virtual particles that do.

Here are some links:

"Yes, virtual particles have mass."
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/nov98/911227577.Ph.r.html

" Although their existence is fleeting, the effects produced by virtual particles are quite real and can be measured in high-precision experiments. The more precise the measurement, the more massive and short-ranged particles can be studied through their virtual interactions."
http://buphy.bu.edu/bu/ExHepPhy.html (scroll down to the g-2 experiment)

" the mass of a virtual particle can assume any value whatsoever and it is related to the interaction time by the well-known indeterminacy priciple"
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/delta/delta18.html

~Raithere

Raithere,

I disagree, for as you stated one must acquire knowledge. Once acquired, knowledge may be quantified, measured, qualified, and categorized. In fact, this is the very essence of knowledge.
Knowledge of a particular thing, yes, but knowledge of “everything,” no, because “knowledge” as a whole cannot be quantified/measured mundanely, and neither can “everything.”
If one needs to know the origin of everything in order to know anything then no one knows anything.
To determine whether God has no effect on/in the universe successfully, one has to know the origin of everything, because the claim is that God is the cause of everything that exists.
You're still not making any sense. If the only use of the word science is equated with knowledge then what do you call, and how do you classify such systematic methods of acquiring knowledge such as Biology, Physics, and Mathematics.
Once classified, these droplets of knowledge become a part of the whole. The idea is gain as much knowledge as we can so we can understand our origin, our selves, our destination, etc…With each molecule (part) of knowledge we gain, we begin to cover the ocean {whole) of knowledge. This is the “ascending process” of acquiring knowledge.
And how are these methods different from other fields such as Philosophy, Logic, Metaphysics, Theology, Art, and Literature?
They differ only in our perception of reality.
But since we cannot know for sure our best course of action in determining their validity is to use the investigatory methods I mentioned earlier.
But what would you know what to look for?
If you don’t know what you’re looking for, then how would you know how to investigate?
And if somehow you did, and you investigated ten million frauds, that still doesn’t mean you are correct, it only means you were correct about those ten million.
And if you use mathematical probabilities and statistics, then you have only an hypothesis, and a weak one at that, as there are billions of people on this planet.
No, that would not affect the outcome of a proper study.
If you observed a doctor bringing a patient out of a deep coma, how would you know that God didn’t help the patient, through the doctor?
The fact that doctors do this everyday 24/7, all over the world?
How would you know whether this particular patient wasn’t divinely healed?
Your only strength is mathematics and logic, but if they can only determine what the senses can perceive, and the senses are imperfect, what use are they in determining truth.
All kinds of claims; precognition, telepathy, telekinesis, ghosts, spiritual guides, far sight, communicating with the dead, numerous miracles (such as bleeding statues), faith healing.
These are not effects of God, these are supernatural effects. If you read any scripture, there is no mention of these things being attributed to God. Lets stick to things attributed to God for example;
We can understand through scientific observation and calculation that the universe is not static, in fact it is expanding. This observation was properly recognised in the twentieth century.
The Qur’an was written hundreds of years ago and there is a verse where Allah says the universe is expanding. This, imho, is proper observation of God's effects.
in which case he's not worth reading anyway.
I think that’s quite a harsh reaction.
What about atheists who believe that matter was created by someone or something that is not God; such as pantheists or Buddhists?
These are not atheists by dictionary definition. Buddhist do not believe in the personality of God, they believe God is impersonal. Pantheists believe everything is God.
Where is this demonstration?
And fire comes from fire... but fire can also arise from non-fire.
How can fire come from non-fire?
Life does not come from non-life. If you can demonstrate that it can, you will have mine and everybody’s full attention and admiration.
By whom or what? Sorry but you need to be specific.
This is just a silly evasion tactic. The question was specific enough, the who or what should be built into your belief.
But if you mean by God then my answer is, "No."
Ok, so; Do you believe matter was created?
As I stated, technically I am an atheist in that I do no believe in an existent God. However, I am willing to work with certain conceptions of God in the abstract that make such a classification incorrect in an absolute sense.
If you don’t believe God exists, why do you need to use ideas of what you don’t believe, to classify the incorrectness of the existence of a god you don’t believe in? :confused:

Love

Jan Ardena.

Knowledge of a particular thing, yes, but knowledge of “everything,” no, because “knowledge” as a whole cannot be quantified/measured mundanely, and neither can “everything.”
I'm not sure where you're going with this but okay; although I'm not sure that one can refer to the 'whole' of something infinite, knowledge as a whole cannot be quantified.

To determine whether God has no effect on/in the universe successfully, one has to know the origin of everything, because the claim is that God is the cause of everything that exists.
True; when we are referring to God being the prime cause. This however, is not the case when specific claims are made. They may be tested for independently.

This is the “ascending process” of acquiring knowledge.
I've no problem with this but one needs to also weed out falsehood. One should then attempt to discover which methods are most reliable and which are unreliable as well of methods of distinguishing truth from falsehood.

They differ only in our perception of reality.
Their methods are quite different as well; as is their reliability.

But what would you know what to look for? If you don’t know what you’re looking for, then how would you know how to investigate?
One looks for statistical deviations. If a certain behavior or treatment is indeed beneficial it will be manifest. To date it seems that the religious influence on healing is either non-existent or equal to non-religious methods of bolstering a positive outlook. That is, God, prayer, and 'faith healing' have, at best, the same effect as a sugar pill.

And if somehow you did, and you investigated ten million frauds, that still doesn’t mean you are correct, it only means you were correct about those ten million.
This is true. However, if these 10 million cases were randomly distributed throughout all religions, cultures, and walks of life one would start to get a pretty good picture of the reliability of such claims.

If you observed a doctor bringing a patient out of a deep coma, how would you know that God didn’t help the patient, through the doctor?
And how would one distinguish this from the doctor succeeding without God's assistance? One would look towards the statistical successes of many doctors and watch for a deviation amongst those who are religious. Unless God distributes such assistance completely at random a pattern would emerge.

Your only strength is mathematics and logic, but if they can only determine what the senses can perceive, and the senses are imperfect, what use are they in determining truth.
Those are hardly my only strengths but they are extremely useful tools. Using these and other tools, as well as the senses are the only methods I know for determining the truth. You say they are imperfect and I do agree but there the best we have as far as I am aware. What alternative methods would you suggest?

The Qur’an was written hundreds of years ago and there is a verse where Allah says the universe is expanding. This, imho, is proper observation of God's effects.
Occasional hits do not impress me. The question becomes, "How accurate is it across the spectrum of its assertions." Again, one looks for a statistical deviation from chance or other methods. As the Qur'an is also wrong in a number of its assertions I have no reason to believe it is the inerrant word of God.

I think that’s quite a harsh reaction.
There are more excellently conceived and written texts out there than I will ever have time to read. Why waste on someone who cannot communicate effectively or accurately? Except possibly to refute his errors and try to reduce his bad influence upon others.

These are not atheists by dictionary definition. Buddhist do not believe in the personality of God, they believe God is impersonal. Pantheists believe everything is God.
No, Buddhists do not believe in a creator or God in any western sense of the word. They believe in an ultimate state, Nirvana, that is neither existence nor non-existence. I should have been more specific with my mentioning pantheism, I was thinking particularly of certain Animist beliefs that everything has a spiritual dimension but there is no overruling creator or God.

Where is this demonstration?
Search on 'virtual particles' and the 'Casimir effect'. Here is a start:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

How can fire come from non-fire?
By heating a combustible material until the gasses it expels under heat combust.

Life does not come from non-life. If you can demonstrate that it can, you will have mine and everybody’s full attention and admiration.
Who now is being presumptuous about what cannot be? You rebuke my disbelief in God by saying that science does not know everything yet science has more evidence for the possibility of Abiogenesis than there is for God. Give it some time, it took nature billions of years and an entire planet, it may take man a few centuries to demonstrate the possibility in a test tube.

Ok, so; Do you believe matter was created?
No, I would not say that I believe that matter was created.

If you don’t believe God exists, why do you need to use ideas of what you don’t believe, to classify the incorrectness of the existence of a god you don’t believe in?
That's not what I meant. I can accept and work with God as a condition or as an abstract state but I find literal and/or existent interpretations to be erroneous. I'm not sure I can explain this fully and even if I could it would take me many pages but this thread gives a basis of my thoughts:
http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25532

You might also look for some of the threads where Tiassa and I got into the subject.

~Raithere

Raithere,

True; when we are referring to God being the prime cause. This however, is not the case when specific claims are made. They may be tested for independently.
If the cause is not understood, or believed not to exist, then independent testing is futile.
I've no problem with this but one needs to also weed out falsehood. One should then attempt to discover which methods are most reliable and which are unreliable as well of methods of distinguishing truth from falsehood.
I totally agree. But the scientific and mathematical “method” are not appropriate by themselves, in all circumstances. At some stage we require faith in something outside of physics and math. We have to determine what is true and what is false through our own understanding, for this to be successful we have to develop our intelligence, to a point where we can see things as they are, without any preconceived ideas. This is where philosophy, art, and religion can come into play.
Their methods are quite different as well; as is their reliability.
The methods may be quite different initially, but eventually they are all part of the same thing. A good analogy is “fire” fire distributes heat and light, they are indivisible from fire, but separate also.
To date it seems that the religious influence on healing is either non-existent or equal to non-religious methods of bolstering a positive outlook
Why does it have to be a religious experience? It seems we are caught up in God only working in a religious context.
What you need to do, is find out what religion really is.
That is, God, prayer, and 'faith healing' have, at best, the same effect as a sugar pill.
Why shouldn’t it have?
This is true. However, if these 10 million cases were randomly distributed throughout all religions, cultures, and walks of life one would start to get a pretty good picture of the reliability of such claims.
But the fact still remains, you do not know what you are looking for. If God is the controller of nature, and we are in part a manifestation of nature, and God uses His nature to heal us, how can we know whether it is the direct work of God, or providence. You may investigate someone who genuinely has been divinely healed through the agency of nature. How could you detect it was indeed divinity? This is why healing is not a good investigatory ground to decide if God has any effect.
And how would one distinguish this from the doctor succeeding without God's assistance?
What need would there be of distinguishing it? The point would be, the person is healed, and as such nothing else matters.
One would look towards the statistical successes of many doctors and watch for a deviation amongst those who are religious. Unless God distributes such assistance completely at random a pattern would emerge.
Again you seem to think that religion would have to be involved.
Why?
Does God advocate any religion organisation in the scripture, that might make you think he would only heal or use people to heal, if they were affiliated with a religious organisation?
In scriptures God says that homosexuality is an abomination to Him, yet religious people who are homosexual claim that they are blessed by Him, and see themselves as “servants of God.” So what use is religion in all honesty, if it can make such drastic contradictions.
The time for institutionalised religion is coming to an end.
What alternative methods would you suggest?
Developing your intelligence. Learn to see things as they are.
Occasional hits do not impress me.
Its not about being “impressed,” it is about sincerely wanting to understand who and what you are, how you came to be and what will become of you.
It is said by almost all atheists that religion was born out of a time when there was no science and needed some kind of comfort to overcome the fear of death, pain, old-age etc. So man came up with this fantasy, through his imagination, of a supreme being which rewards and punishes, in the form of religion, and wrote the scriptures to go with it.
I have just shared you with some information from one of the said scriptures, which clearly states a modern scientific fact. This particular fact has no feel good factor, whatsoever. It does not come with a reward or punishment package. It is a simple truth which can be backed up with science fact.
It is proof. And you say you’re not impressed.
What would impress you?
The question becomes, "How accurate is it across the spectrum of its assertions."
Why waste time with this non-sense assessing, the information is there. What are you going to do about it?
As the Qur'an is also wrong in a number of its assertions I have no reason to believe it is the inerrant word of God.
Let’s discuss the “wrong” parts of the Qur’an.
They believe in an ultimate state, Nirvana, that is neither existence nor non-existence.

Lord Buddha was the twenty first incarnation of God according to Vedanta Sutra. His purpose was to delude the atheistic class.
On the plea of Vedic sacrifice, every place was practically turned into a slaughterhouse, and animal killing was indulged in unrestrictedly. He preached non violence and that he did not believe in the tenets of the Vedas, and stressed the adverse psychological effects incurred by animal killing. Less intelligent men of the age of Kali, who had no faith in God, followed his principle, and for some time they were being trained in moral discipline and non violence, the “preliminary steps in proceeding to God realisation.
He deluded the atheist because such atheists who followed his principles did not believe in God, but they kept their absolute faith in Lord Buddha. Thus, they were made to believe in God, in the form of Buddha.
Technically Lord Buddha’s philosophy is called atheistic because there is no acceptance of God and because that system of philosophy denied the authority of the Vedas. But that is act of camouflage of God.
After Lord Buddha’s disappearance, the next stage in vaishnavism appeared in the form of Shankaracharya, his teachings were a step up from Buddha’s toward believing in a personal God. But it was still impersonal. Next was Madhvacharya, then Ramanujacharya, then finally Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. With each personality, religion became more restored to its original purpose. When Chaitanya Mahaprabhu appeared He inaugurated the religion of the age.
By heating a combustible material until the gasses it expels under heat combust.
Heat is a part of fire.
Who now is being presumptuous about what cannot be?
In this case I am. But I am most confidenct that this feat cannot be demonstrated, with any real sense of clarity.
You rebuke my disbelief in God by saying that science does not know everything yet science has more evidence for the possibility of Abiogenesis than there is for God.
What do you regard as evidence for God?
it may take man a few centuries to demonstrate the possibility in a test tube.
Nature does it less than every second. How hard can it really be?
I think if it was possible to create life from matter, it would have been accomplished before now.
No, I would not say that I believe that matter was created.
As far a you are concerned, Clayton is right then, isn’t he? I wonder how many other atheists on this board at least believe that matter was not created?
I'm not sure I can explain this fully and even if I could it would take me many pages but this thread gives a basis of my thoughts:
http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25532
I think you intellectualise, where there is no need, on this subject.

Love
Jan Ardena.

If the cause is not understood, or believed not to exist, then independent testing is futile.
Quite wrong. Independent testing would show if there is indeed such an effect upon the real world even if we did not know what its cause was. Many discoveries have been made in precisely this way.

We have to determine what is true and what is false through our own understanding, for this to be successful we have to develop our intelligence, to a point where we can see things as they are, without any preconceived ideas. This is where philosophy, art, and religion can come into play.
To an extent, I do agree. However, such a subjective method is extremely prone to error and can be quite dangerous.

The methods may be quite different initially, but eventually they are all part of the same thing.
Indeed, they are part of a persons world view. The error begins when one begins to presume the subjective experience is objective reality.

Why does it have to be a religious experience?
It's not; that was my point.

What you need to do, is find out what religion really is.
I no longer have any need for religion or dogma, I have grown beyond it. Religion is like parental rules for a child, at some point the child grows beyond the need of such things.

Why shouldn’t it have?
That's not my side of the argument.

But the fact still remains, you do not know what you are looking for.
I am no longer looking for God, its a fools errand. What religion terms God is a part of my daily experience.

This is why healing is not a good investigatory ground to decide if God has any effect.
Then choose the evidence you wish to discuss; I was providing an example of what many people take as proof of God.

Again you seem to think that religion would have to be involved.
That is not what I think but it is indeed what most theists claim.

The time for institutionalised religion is coming to an end.
I quite agree. Institutionalized religion is oxymoronic in the first place.

Developing your intelligence. Learn to see things as they are.
Indeed, this is something I consistently work upon.

It is proof. And you say you’re not impressed.
What would impress you?
I'm not impressed with random successes I'm looking for something more accurate than that. A broken clock is correct twice a day; this does not mean that a broken clock is a good mechanism for determining what time it is.

Why waste time with this non-sense assessing, the information is there. What are you going to do about it?
I have read and spent some time studying it. As with most religious texts it contains many human truths but very few regarding the Universe. Religion is an expression of the human experience; it is not an accurate depiction of the workings of the Universe.

Let’s discuss the “wrong” parts of the Qur’an.
Let's leave that to another thread, our topic is spread out as it is.

He deluded the atheist because such atheists who followed his principles did not believe in God, but they kept their absolute faith in Lord Buddha. Thus, they were made to believe in God, in the form of Buddha.
This sounds as if it's a Hindu interpretation of Buddhism. But in fact, it is quite wrong. Siddhartha never proclaimed himself God nor did he require faith. He taught others how to find the state of enlightenment he had acquired.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

Heat is a part of fire.
No, heat is the transfer of the kinetic energy of atoms and molecules. One does not require fire to have heat.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/heat.html#c1

As to fire:

http://www.discover.com/ask/main16.html

In this case I am. But I am most confidenct that this feat cannot be demonstrated, with any real sense of clarity.
I do not share your confidence. Rather, I think it is inevitable. I'm sure you are familiar with the analogy of finding a watch on the beach but the analogy typically leaves out a few things. The reality of the situation is that we have found a functional watch on a beach that is comprised of watch parts. Further, as we watch the beach we find that these parts have a natural tendency to combine and form more complex watch parts all on their own. The beach is also littered with other watches that are different than the one we first found but share some basic similarities in the way they function.

What do you regard as evidence for God?
I don't know but if I find it I'll let you know.

Nature does it less than every second. How hard can it really be?
No, what you are observing is the continuous process of life. It is one thing.

As far a you are concerned, Clayton is right then, isn’t he?
No he is not correct as far as I am concerned because while I don't believe that matter was created I do not necessarily believe that it didn't have a beginning.

I think you intellectualise, where there is no need, on this subject.
The quandary presented is one of logic and thus intellect, not intuition or emotion. Present me with another quandary and I may choose a different method but I have chosen the proper methods for this particular problem.

~Raithere

Raithere,

Quite wrong. Independent testing would show if there is indeed such an effect upon the real world even if we did not know what its cause was.

But what would we know what we are testing for? What if God used "nature" as a cause for the effect, how would independant testing discriminate?

Many discoveries have been made in precisely this way.

And it has been documented that they are natural causes, and that's all that can be said due to the limitations and imperfections of man.

To an extent, I do agree. However, such a subjective method is extremely prone to error and can be quite dangerous.

When all is said and done, all methods can be dangerous and prone to error. So it is still left to the individual to make up his mind.

Indeed, they are part of a persons world view. The error begins when one begins to presume the subjective experience is objective reality.

What about the person doesn't persume this?

I no longer have any need for religion or dogma,

I didn't state that you need religion, i said you need to know what it actually is.

I have grown beyond it. Religion is like parental rules for a child, at some point the child grows beyond the need of such things.

No religion is a way to become self-realized, to understand who and what you are. It deals with the whole of life, the commandments/rules are there to help the individual on the path to self-realization.
Your point shows that you do not really understand what "religion/spirituality" is.

I am no longer looking for God, its a fools errand. What religion terms God is a part of my daily experience.

How so?

That is not what I think but it is indeed what most theists claim.

Are you basing "religion" purely on what "theists" think?

I'm not impressed with random successes I'm looking for something more accurate than that.

Pardon me, i thought you were looking for truth.

A broken clock is correct twice a day; this does not mean that a broken clock is a good mechanism for determining what time it is.

Sooooo!!! You think that was just a lucky guess from the authors?

Religion is an expression of the human experience; it is not an accurate depiction of the workings of the Universe.

I have explained what religion is.
LOL!!I don't believe this!!! :D
The scripture is REVEALING you something that could not be known to anyone readily. Only through scientific work and technology could this be unveiled, and you're telling me the scripture has no accurate depiction of the workings of the universe?

This sounds as if it's a Hindu interpretation of Buddhism.

It may sound Hindu, but it is "Vedic" knowledge.

But in fact, it is quite wrong. Siddhartha never proclaimed himself God nor did he require faith.

Who said he proclaimed himself God?
Everybody requires faith in some stages of their life.
It's part of being human.

He taught others how to find the state of enlightenment he had acquired.

Why?

I do not share your confidence. Rather, I think it is inevitable. I'm sure you are familiar with the analogy of finding a watch on the beach but the analogy typically leaves out a few things. The reality of the situation is that we have found a functional watch on a beach that is comprised of watch parts. Further, as we watch the beach we find that these parts have a natural tendency to combine and form more complex watch parts all on their own. The beach is also littered with other watches that are different than the one we first found but share some basic similarities in the way they function.

What do you mean by "combine?"
Are the parts just thrown randomly together until something fits?
What is the beach? How did it come to be the perfect resting place for the unknown combiner to combine?
There is so much fault with your analogy, it doesn't seem worth debating over.

I don't know but if I find it I'll let you know.

In other words you don't believe God exists. ;)

No, what you are observing is the continuous process of life. It is one thing.

How do you know that process isn't continuing and that's what life is?

No he is not correct as far as I am concerned because while I don't believe that matter was created I do not necessarily believe that it didn't have a beginning.

Then what do you believe?

The quandary presented is one of logic and thus intellect, not intuition or emotion. Present me with another quandary and I may choose a different method but I have chosen the proper methods for this particular problem.

I find it amusing that you carve your mind up like that.

Love

Jan Ardena.

But what would we know what we are testing for? What if God used "nature" as a cause for the effect, how would independant testing discriminate?
If God acts in a completely random manner than we could not detect his actions. If God acts in a non-random manner his influence would be apparent no matter what his method was.

And it has been documented that they are natural causes, and that's all that can be said due to the limitations and imperfections of man.
Or perhaps because that's all they are; natural.

When all is said and done, all methods can be dangerous and prone to error. So it is still left to the individual to make up his mind.
Certainly. However, if you tend to use a method that is prone to error than you are more likely to be in error than not.

What about the person doesn't persume this?
Those I have no problem with.

I didn't state that you need religion, i said you need to know what it actually is.
I understand what religion is.

No religion is a way to become self-realized, to understand who and what you are. It deals with the whole of life, the commandments/rules are there to help the individual on the path to self-realization.
There is more than one way to reach self-realization one does not need religion for this.

There is a unity to existence that I am aware of from moment to moment.

Are you basing "religion" purely on what "theists" think?
Well I cannot very well base it upon what atheists think now, can I. So yes, my understanding of religion is based upon what theists think.

Pardon me, i thought you were looking for truth.
A random success does not indicate that a method is a good tool for discovering the truth.

Bingo!

The scripture is REVEALING you something that could not be known to anyone readily. Only through scientific work and technology could this be unveiled, and you're telling me the scripture has no accurate depiction of the workings of the universe?
I wouldn't go so far as to say it has none but it's record is pretty bad. Its success is generally better predicted by the state of knowledge in the people of the day, coincidentally enough. Typically though, religious text is reinterpreted in light of discovery as being non-literal.

Really? Care to provide independent corroboration?

Who said he proclaimed himself God?
If he didn't say or prove he was more than a man why would someone think that he was? Sounds silly to me.

Everybody requires faith in some stages of their life.
Not in God.

Because part of that enlightenment includes compassion for others. He taught that himself.

What do you mean by "combine?"
To join together.

Within the natural laws of this theoretical universe; yes.

What is the beach? How did it come to be the perfect resting place for the unknown combiner to combine?
There is no unknown combiner, the natural laws are such that the universe proceeds naturally along such a course.

In other words you don't believe God exists.
No, in other words: I am not so presumptuous as to attempt to define God by my rules, therefore I do not have a set of tests that would validate something as God. I do not believe in God because I have not yet seen any evidence that convinces me otherwise but if I did, I would.

How do you know that process isn't continuing and that's what life is?
The process of life is continuing. That's what I just said. :bugeye:

Then what do you believe?
There isn't enough evidence either way for me to decide.

I find it amusing that you carve your mind up like that.
My mind is whole and fine, thank you. One selects the proper tool for the job; one would not try to dig a ditch with a hammer. Neither would one state that 2+2 = 5 because one 'feels' that the answer should be 5. There are better tools for such activities.

~Raithere

Raithere,

If God acts in a completely random manner than we could not detect his actions.

There would be no reason for Him to act anyway else.

If God acts in a non-random manner his influence would be apparent no matter what his method was.

From the the description of God, how could He act in an un-random manner?
At some point, if someone had said the universe is expanding, it says so in the Qur’an, who would believe bar the faithful? I think scientists are aware of things that happen in a so-called un-random manner, but they cannot explain it, or it may not fit into their understanding and it gets left by the wayside, or is given a silly explanation

Or perhaps because that's all they are; natural.

Who knows!

Certainly. However, if you tend to use a method that is prone to error than you are more likely to be in error than not.

So the ones that are not prone to any type of error should be studied.

There is more than one way to reach self-realization one does not need religion for this.

But that’s what religion is, anything else is irreligion. Every single method of self-realisation is categorised, from Lord Buddha to Lord Jesus Christ. I think what you regard as religion are offshoots of the original religion which is one thing for all species.

Well I cannot very well base it upon what atheists think now, can I. So yes, my understanding of religion is based upon what theists think.

What theists think, is not “religion.” I suppose you could say “religion” is the source of what they think. To understand anything in life imho, one has to go, at some stage to the source.

A random success does not indicate that a method is a good tool for discovering the truth.

Truth is truth, why does it matter how it is acquired. In this case the truth was revealed by two methods, the descending and ascending processes of knowledge.

Bingo!

That’s fair enough. But it says heaps about your character.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it has none but it's record is pretty bad.

An example?

Its success is generally better predicted by the state of knowledge in the people of the day, coincidentally enough.

Could you rephrase that?

Typically though, religious text is reinterpreted in light of discovery as being non-literal.

Among the instructions in religious texts, are there any which state that it should be reinterpreted, or that it is to be take non-literally? I don’t think there is. For us to understand them we have to rise to occasion (intelligence). Of course strories and analogies are told in scriptures, but it is always clear that they are thus.

Really? Care to provide independent corroboration?

There’s no need. At the time of Lord Buddha there was no such title as “Hindu.” The term was invented by Arabs who invaded India to describe the people who lived across the river “Sindhu.” What we term as Hinduism are actually bit and bobs of the Vedic system.

If he didn't say or prove he was more than a man why would someone think that he was? Sounds silly to me.

His advent was predicted long before he came. This is how people would know. The province which was born into, his appearance, his parents and his activity are all known.

Not in God.

Okay! No need to bite my head off. :D

Because part of that enlightenment includes compassion for others. He taught that himself.

I hear ya!

To join together.

Maybe its me, but that doesn’t suggest randomness, it suggests a deliberate act.

Within the natural laws of this theoretical universe; yes.

I am not of that same opinion.

There is no unknown combiner, the natural laws are such that the universe proceeds naturally along such a course.

That explains nothing.

No, in other words: I am not so presumptuous as to attempt to define God by my rules, therefore I do not have a set of tests that would validate something as God.

God is not described in such a way where He can be empirically tested. In all scriptures He is classed as being trancendendal to nature. So what god are you talking about, because it certainly cannot be God as described.

I do not believe in God because I have not yet seen any evidence that convinces me otherwise but if I did, I would.

I given you a good start with that scripture, but you reject it as pot-luck.
I don’t think it matters to you whether God exists or not.

The process of life is continuing. That's what I just said.

I asked for that one didn’t I? :)

There isn't enough evidence either way for me to decide.

So you believe in science. Namely the scientific method?

My mind is whole and fine, thank you.

Please don’t take offence. I think you use your mind quite skilfully. Your certainly no slouch.

One selects the proper tool for the job; one would not try to dig a ditch with a hammer. Neither would one state that 2+2 = 5 because one 'feels' that the answer should be 5. There are better tools for such activities.

Its funny I see the above as common sense. Is logic just a complex version of common sense?

Love

Jan Ardena.

There would be no reason for Him to act anyway else.
I'm fine with that but lots of theists disagree.

At some point, if someone had said the universe is expanding, it says so in the Qur’an, who would believe bar the faithful?
This is exactly what I mean by reinterpretation in light of other knowledge. Here are several translations of the verse; you'll note that only one of these interpretations suggests an expanding Universe and it seems that the translator was not absolutely sure of his interpretation:

Sura 51, Verse 47
YUSUFALI: With power and skill did We construct the Firmament: for it is We Who create the vastness of pace.
PICKTHAL: We have built the heaven with might, and We it is Who make the vast extent (thereof).
SHAKIR: And the heaven, We raised it high with power, and most surely We are the makers of things ample.
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/051.qmt.html

Ramidullah: ""The heaven, We have built it with power. Verily. We are expanding it." ... Ramidullah in his translation of the Qur'an talks of the widening of the heavens and space, but he includes a question mark.
http://www.beconvinced.com/science/QURANEXPANSION.htm
Therefore it seems to me that whether or not Mohammed was literally saying the Universe is expanding is rather questionable. Only knowledge provided by science gives any surety to this interpretation.

I think scientists are aware of things that happen in a so-called un-random manner, but they cannot explain it, or it may not fit into their understanding and it gets left by the wayside, or is given a silly explanation.
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Science has no inherent problems with order or randomness, only with lack of data and sometimes with interpretation.

So the ones that are not prone to any type of error should be studied.
I don't think there are any that are error free. Certainly, the foibles of man introduce errors into any method. What seems to me the best approach is to never completely rely on any one method.

But that’s what religion is, anything else is irreligion.
Then why bother with any particular method. It seems to be it is up to the individual to find their own path and to attempt to refute anyone's personal approach is quite presumptuous.

What theists think, is not “religion.” I suppose you could say “religion” is the source of what they think. To understand anything in life imho, one has to go, at some stage to the source.
What source?

Truth is truth, why does it matter how it is acquired. In this case the truth was revealed by two methods, the descending and ascending processes of knowledge.
The problem is not how truth is acquired; the problem is discerning truth from falsehood.

That’s fair enough. But it says heaps about your character.
Such as?

An example?
How about the 6 days of the Genesis creation?

Could you rephrase that?
Very often when religion makes an accurate 'revelation' about the Universe that information was already available. One might look to the 'miracle' that the word meaning 'day' was used 365 times in the Quran. Yet the knowledge that there were (approximately) 365 days in a year was known at the time.

Among the instructions in religious texts, are there any which state that it should be reinterpreted, or that it is to be take non-literally?
This is not quite as exacting as one might think; look back to the interpretations I offered above.

There’s no need.
What I meant was is there independent corroboration of this Vedic interpretation as being correct. All of the accounts of Siddhartha that I have read do not depict him as being thought of as a God but strictly as a man who had reached enlightenment. The idea that people were led to believe in him as a God seems utterly foreign to any of the Buddhists texts that I have read.

His advent was predicted long before he came. This is how people would know. The province which was born into, his appearance, his parents and his activity are all known.
I would bet that there is a lot of room for error and interpretation in that prediction.

Maybe its me, but that doesn’t suggest randomness, it suggests a deliberate act.
Molecules do so quite naturally.

I am not of that same opinion.
But this is indeed how it happens. Atoms and molecules are not mysteriously drawn towards each other to form specific combinations. They bump into each other at random until, sometimes, they fit together and combine.

That explains nothing.
It does actually. It indicates that if there is indeed a Creator, it is not necessary for him to tinker around building plants and animals and planets and such. That the Universe was created in such a way that these things evolve on their own.

God is not described in such a way where He can be empirically tested. In all scriptures He is classed as being trancendendal to nature. So what god are you talking about, because it certainly cannot be God as described.
Many religions describe a God that often influences the world directly, yet no such influence can be detected. I've no quarrel with a transcendent God except when people start telling me that they know something about him.

I don’t think it matters to you whether God exists or not.
Not really, no. I'm satisfied that my life is an honest search for truth and understanding. Any God that would condemn me for this I have no reverence for.

So you believe in science. Namely the scientific method?
I believe that the scientific method is the most reliable method we have for distilling truth and knowledge about the Universe and how it works. Logic and Philosophy are also good tools. Most religious texts I view as expressions of the human condition, which are also truthful and sometimes very insightful but in the way that a novel or a poem is truthful.

Its funny I see the above as common sense. Is logic just a complex version of common sense?
Essentially, yes. Logic is formalized reason. It's a method for examining common sense and reason in a way that illuminates errors and assumptions.

To look at it another way, common sense is a kind of gestalt approach to logic. You look at a situation and decide, "That makes sense." The human mind is very good at this but it also relies upon a lot of approximations, generalizations, and assumptions. Logic allows us to examine the situation in detail to see if maybe we made some mistakes or are relying upon unrecognized assumptions.

~Raithere

Back