Jesus, the son of who?

Jenyar if there is no god there is no consequence of not obeying god. Have you considered that.

leeaus

I can consider it, but not for long. You see, when you start living as if there were a God - when you start believing and acting accordingly - you realize how many things are dependent on God, and how much suffering and lack of love is actually the result of sin.

You see, part of why I believe in God so strongly is that the consequences are so evident. The effect of hate, lies, cheating, lawlessness, immorality, etc. are very visible. So is the presence of love. Love is not experienced outside the mind, and inside it seems like just another chemical reaction, but relationships aren't chemical connections, they are invisible, intangible ones. The lack of love destroys relationships with people just as surely as it destroys our relationship with God.

John 7
17If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.

jenyar,
all i can say is travel around the world and if you still hold that belief, well, good on you, but you must have been traveling with your eyes closed.

Originally posted by leeaus
Jenyar if there is no god there is no consequence of not obeying god. Have you considered that.

leeaus

OR

Ecclesiastes 12:14
God will be judge of every work, with every secret thing, good or evil.

Is another opinion.

Actually God doesn’t exist when you have your eyes open. The universe is explainable without supernatural creation. Believing in God is not helpful. Believing in a god that isn't there makes people evil.

leeaus

Actually God doesn’t exist when you have your eyes open. The universe is explainable without supernatural creation. Believing in God is not helpful. Believing in a god that isn't there makes people evil.

leeaus

Without the existance of a god, the meanings of the words "good" and "evil" become meaningless, for the Christian God is the standard of perfect absolute good.

Re: Jesus was a revolutionary.

Originally posted by Greco
Up to the time of Jesus the Jews had a monopoly. They called themselves the chosen ones, meaning God had chosen them as his favorite people and the only ones that he would consider sending to heaven.

Now Jesus comes along and he busts up the monopoly and makes it possible for any one to go to heaven. The jews dint like that and we know what happened.

Even if I dont believe in Jesus being a deity, I believe he was a fearless man and a good man for busting up the Jewish monopoly.
He was truly a revelutionary.

The Jews did not hold tightly to their monopoly. They were as evangelical then, as Bible-believing Christians are now. All through the New testament, there are references to proselytes, and God-fearers. This was refering to gentiles in different stages of the conversion process to Judaism.

Jewish evangelism didn't stop, until about 370 AD, when the Christians threatened the Jews with capital punishment, if they kept up their evangelism. The Jews decided to stop.

Re: Re: Jesus was a revolutionary.

Originally posted by biblthmp
The Jews did not hold tightly to their monopoly. They were as evangelical then, as Bible-believing Christians are now. All through the New testament, there are references to proselytes, and God-fearers. This was refering to gentiles in different stages of the conversion process to Judaism.

Jewish evangelism didn't stop, until about 370 AD, when the Christians threatened the Jews with capital punishment, if they kept up their evangelism. The Jews decided to stop.
I'm not sure that you have all the facts, although I have no reason not to believe you. But in the first place: "Jews" is a gross generalization. For most Jews, there isn't much difference between their culture and their "religion". The weren't intent on "evangelizing" (an exclusively Christian word, since they had no "gospel" to proclaim). As a matter of fact, you couldn't become a "Jew" unless you were circumcized and became a citizen of the state of Israel.

Their interest was in establishing a nation of God under an anointed king who would bring peace, and "converting" to Judaism was like applying for a visum - it had to be approved and there were conditions to be met.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it wasn't their original intention. No part of their faith commands them to go out and convert people, although some interpreted their scripture that way. They didn't really have missionaries as far as I know.

With respect of things stated, how come the christian god is the real god.
He is not really the "Christian" God or the "Jewish God" - in the sense that He "belongs" to any faith - but the Creator God who kept close to those who remained faithful to Him. For one: the options aren't really that many, unless you look at religions where the gods are humans, only "better".

From a human perspective, you can only reach so far towards God, and then you have to trust Him to do the rest. There are many options that "fit the description", but God would have made sure that there was some kind of check to determine whether you believe in Him and not something other than Him (i.e. that you aren't fooled).

A real God must be a living God, able to stir you into knowledge of Him. (Dead gods cannot create life, since they have no knowledge of it.) Since he is the Creator, this knowledge must have been included in creation, or revealed at the beginning of creation - but the best we can do is trace back as early as we can. That leaves the Sumerian gods, and those whose "faith" has survived since then. If they had been alive and active in the world, it doesn't make sense that they would have to be "rediscovered" again only now. So the options are Hinduism (which has no God), the naturalistic religions like Wicca (nature is God), humanism (we are God) and Judaism (Only God is God). From Judaism you have to decide whether God had indeed fulfilled His promise to bring a saviour in Christ, or whether He started expecting more from them (Islam).

My belief is that there has only ever been one God, but each person has held their own idea of who He is. I don't believe God would let Himself be reinvented every time a new worldview comes around, but that His promises and act of creation would endure and remain true forever. Some things would point towards God and others would point away from Him. Grab a thread and follow it.

Back