Jesus Christ is the Son of God

Gino

Registered Member
In christianity this is a well known fact. There are many other religions in this world that do not believe he is the messiah, and/or believe he was just another man who others claimed to be a great phrophet that returned such as Moses, Elijah, or John the baptist. What are your views? Is Jesus the Son of God? If so, what did he do for all of mankind.

Gino

Hi Gino,

Welcome to sciforums.

I find it more likely, in view of a closer examination of Christian origins that Jesus never existed. And Christianity seems to be entirely based on a combination of earlier mythologies.

At the time, 2000 years ago, the Jews were desperate for someone to rescue them from Roman oppression. Many at that time tried to portray themselves as potential saviors. The word 'Jesus' in Hebrew actually means savior. It is not difficult to see how the concept of a savior is confused with the name of an actual person.

The fiction of Christianity then grew around a wide variety of myths, legends, and political needs. The combination of Hebrew (Jesus meaning savior) and Greek (Christ meaning messiah/savior) created the mythical construct that has come to be known as Jesus Christ, a fictional character that has been woven with earlier pagan superstitions to create a major religion out of nothing.

Cris,

Wow. That is some damn clarity right there. Beautiful. I did not know that. That's amazing. Thanks.

Originally posted by Cris
Hi Gino,

Welcome to sciforums.

I find it more likely, in view of a closer examination of Christian origins that Jesus never existed. And Christianity seems to be entirely based on a combination of earlier mythologies.

At the time, 2000 years ago, the Jews were desperate for someone to rescue them from Roman oppression. Many at that time tried to portray themselves as potential saviors. The word 'Jesus' in Hebrew actually means savior. It is not difficult to see how the concept of a savior is confused with the name of an actual person.

The fiction of Christianity then grew around a wide variety of myths, legends, and political needs. The combination of Hebrew (Jesus meaning savior) and Greek (Christ meaning messiah/savior) created the mythical construct that has come to be known as Jesus Christ, a fictional character that has been woven with earlier pagan superstitions to create a major religion out of nothing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lets look at a few things, ok? Jesus was believed to be a myth for the people of Isreal for a need. That was the grinding oppression of the Roman empire. If Jesus was a myth, then why where the people of Isreal dissappointed to find out this new messiah of theirs did not preach the overthrow of the Romans, but a message of brotherly peace. This was not what the peole of Isreal wanted to hear at the time. They where looking for a rebel. They got one alright, but not of this world. This world has never really understood peace. History is littered with the fact. Question. Why did the people ask for Barrabus to be freed, and death to Christ? Barrabus was a murderer and a rebel. Christ could have hardly fullfilled the needs of the Jews as a mythical deliver in their eyes, if they chose the freedom of a criminal. It is not hard to believe those who would make this choice would also choose to murder the innocent.

Gino

Wow, Cris! Thanks for that info! I look forward to seeing your reply to this last post above mine!

The way I see it is, there was a huge explosion of monotheism in the Middle Eastern countries at the time... with so many prophets and such, but where are these prophets now? The dualism in Christianity with the whole "heaven and hell" bit just doesnt add up. The Bible was written by people, read by people, interpreted by people, and only during this era did all of these super natural occurance happen.... and more importantly: Islam was created before Chrisitianity. They worship the same God but Christianity seems to be the "correct" religion. Its very hard to accept a religion when there is absolutely no contact with the authority, AT ALL.

To support Cris's claim further, here is a bit about the Mithra religion that was formed long before Jesus Christ was born (2000 years before to be exact). Take particular note of all the similarities, coincidence? I think not. It's quite clear that Christianity stole a great many of it's rituals and doctrine from the Mithras, again more proof that Christianity is a man made religion.

---------------------------------------------------------

The faithful referred to Mithras (REMEMBER 4000 years ago) as "the Light of the World", symbol of truth, justice, and loyalty. He was mediator between heaven and earth and was a member of a Holy Trinity. According to Persian mythology, Mithras was born of a virgin given the title 'Mother of G-d'. The god remained celibate throughout his life, and valued self-control, renunciation and resistance to sensuality among his worshippers. Mithras represented a system of ethics in which brotherhood was encouraged in order to unify against the forces of evil.

The worshippers of Mithras held strong beliefs in a celestial heaven and an infernal hell. They believed that the benevolent powers of the god would sympathize with their suffering and grant them the final justice of immortality and eternal salvation in the world to come. They looked forward to a final day of judgement in which the dead would resurrect, and to a final conflict that would destroy the existing order of all things to bring about the triumph of light over darkness.

Purification through a ritualistic baptism was required of the faithful, who also took part in a ceremony in which they drank wine and ate bread to symbolize the body and blood of the god. Sundays were held sacred, and the birth of the god was celebrated annually on December the 25th. After the earthly mission of this god had been accomplished, he took part in a Last Supper with his companions before ascending to heaven, to forever protect the faithful from above.

However, it would be a vast oversimplification to suggest that Mithraism was the single fore-runner of early Christianity. Aside from Christ and Mithras, there were plenty of other deities (such as Osiris, Tammuz, Adonis, Balder, Attis, and Dionysus) said to have died and resurrected. Many classical heroic figures, such as Hercules, Perseus, and Theseus, were said to have been born through the union of a virgin mother and divine father. Virtually every pagan religious practice and festivity that couldn't be suppressed or driven underground was eventually incorporated into the rites of Gentile Christianity as it spread across Europe and throughout the world.

The Lord's supper was not invented by Paul, but was borrowed by him from Mithraism, the mystery religion that existed long before Christianity and was Christianity's chief competitor up until the time of Constantine. In Mithraism, the central figure is the mythical Mithras, who died for the sins of mankind and was resurrected.

Believers in Mithras were rewarded with eternal life. Part of the Mithraic communion liturgy included the words, "He who will not eat of my body and drink of my blood, so that he will be made one with me and I with him, the same shall not know salvation."

...what did he do for all of mankind
From the thread 'Nietzche?''If Jesus thought this too [that morality was passed down through generations from when masters gave their slaves orders and so told them to be honest] (obviously before Nietzche realised this) then his method to overthrow the 'rulers' was complete honesty because there is no way they could fight him: they had told them that honest is what they must be. If he was 100% honest then the people he encountered would be amazed at his complete honesty (he could have told people such extremely private things (maybe made a joke out of them) when they felt like they were dying in the desert that he 'turned the water into wine': they really enjoyed themselves. Now he was 100% honest yet the ruling class still killed him: he died to show us that the ruling class were lying, and so he set us free. The Bible also describes a black-man so it is highly likely that his ancestors (and therefore probably even himself) had been ascribed these values. Either he knew all of this and was extremely clever or he didnt question the value at all and was just 100% honest because this is what he had been taught and so was dumb. A lot of messages in the bible tell us to question what we are taught though!!'

*Originally posted by Xelios
here is a bit about the Mithra religion that was formed long before Jesus Christ was born (2000 years before to be exact). Take particular note of all the similarities, coincidence? I think not. It's quite clear that Christianity stole a great many of it's rituals and doctrine from the Mithras, again more proof that Christianity is a man made religion.

Great job proving that Catholicism is a ripoff of Mithraism.
Of course, there's nothing there that has anything to do with Christianity.

*The faithful referred to Mithras (REMEMBER 4000 years ago) as "the Light of the World"*

That narrows that down to pretty close to every religion.
After all, who would start a religion emphasizing darkness, and its attendant inability to see?

*...a member of a Holy Trinity.*

Pretty Catholic.

Jesus said...

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
John 16:7, KJV.

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost,...
(John 14:26, KJV).

It seems apparent that the Holy Spirit and the Son don't co-exist to create a Trinity.

In order to articulate the dogma of the Trinity, the Church had to develop her own terminology...which from then on would be used to signify an ineffable mystery, "infinitely beyond all that we can humanly understand"....
Catholic Catechism, para 251

For "church," read "Catholic Church."

*...Mithras was born of a virgin given the title 'Mother of G-d'.*

Jesus said this about his mother...

Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.
(John 2:4, KJV).

The Catholics, on the other hand...

...Since the Virgin Mary's role in the mystery of Christ and the Spirit has been treated, it is fitting now to consider her place in the mystery of the Church. "The Virgin Mary . . . is acknowledged and honored as being truly the Mother of God..."
Catholic Catechism, para 963

*The worshippers of Mithras held strong beliefs in a celestial heaven and an infernal hell.*

That pretty much guarantees they are Catholics.

Hell is the grave.

Though they dig into hell, thence shall mine hand take them; though they climb up to heaven, thence will I bring them down:
(Amos 9:2, KJV).

It's obviously a place one digs to.
As for "celestial heaven," God is apparently planning on bringing down from there anyone who thinks to go there.

Otoh, the Catholics...

...The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire."...
Catholic Catechism, para 1035

*They believed that the benevolent powers of the god would sympathize with their suffering and grant them the final justice of immortality and eternal salvation in the world to come. They looked forward to a final day of judgement in which the dead would resurrect, and to a final conflict that would destroy the existing order of all things to bring about the triumph of light over darkness.*

Of course, had this been claimed before Christianity, there might have been some reason to believe that it may have formed a "basis" for Christianity.
However, you're claiming a prophecy after the fact, which makes it more questionable.

*...Sundays were held sacred...*

Nothing to do with Christianity, altho there is plenty of connection with Catholicism.

...The celebration of Sunday observes the moral commandment inscribed by nature in the human heart to render to God an outward, visible, public, and regular worship "as a sign of his universal beneficence to all."...
Catholic Catechism, para 2176

IOW, for Catholics, Sunday worship is mandated for show.

*...and the birth of the god was celebrated annually on December the 25th....*

Again, nothing to do with Christianity.
The name "Christmas" itself reveals its Catholic origins, namely "mas" is short for "mass," which is exclusively a Catholic tradition, which has nothing to do with anything.

* Virtually every pagan religious practice and festivity that couldn't be suppressed or driven underground was eventually incorporated into the rites of Gentile Christianity as it spread across Europe and throughout the world.*

For "Gentile Christianity," read "Catholicism."
The rule in Roman Catholicism, in particular, has always been to integrate every form of paganism possible into its rituals.

*The Lord's supper was not invented by Paul*

No, it wasn't.
Jesus ate regularly.

*In Mithraism, the central figure is the mythical Mithras...*

Yes, mythical.

*Believers in Mithras were rewarded with eternal life.*

Actually, they weren't.

All in all, a fine job in demonstrating how Roman Catholicism descended from Mithraism.

Originally posted by Cris
Hi Gino,

Welcome to sciforums.

Hi Cris,
Since u seem to be a well-read person...I would suggest that you also read The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel...as well as "Evidence which demands a Verdict"
These are books written by aetheists who in their quest to disprove Jesus Christ's existence, found astonishing evidence that says otherwise. They are full-devoted aetheists until the evidence can no longer be ignored and discarded.
Fo a real intellectual pursuit on this matter, I would suggest that all who have questions about this be open to read the books I just recommended. I f you can also give me a list of readings for me to read that may also help me create balanced view on this, please do so.
I hope all of us are not close-minded as to ignore facts and truths standing right in front of you because of that human pride that we are not created.

Just to add...there were other references to Jesus besides the Bible. Josephus, an ancient historian mentioned Jesus in his writings...and there are supporting evidences that the Jesus he mentioned is the Jesus of the Bible.

In the books I have just recommended, they provide evidence of Jesus' existence, his humanity as well as his divinity.

Give me your thoughts on this :) Thank you.
If you're too lazy to read the book for yourself, I'd be happy to write here some points.

:D, Im still waiting for Cris reply to Gino...LOL, well see what opinions she will come up this time, LOL, Jesus is a myth? hahahahaha....

Forgive me if I'm wrong tony1, but isn't Catholicism part of Christianity? What I posted was only some of the similarities between Mithra and Christianity, there are many more including similarities between church masses and prayers.

Oh, and it's about time you came back =D

Yes, mythical.

Yes, and since Christianity (or at least Catholicism) evolved from the Mithra religion, it is also a myth.

Gino,

If Jesus was a myth, then why where the people of Isreal dissappointed to find out this new messiah of theirs did not preach the overthrow of the Romans, but a message of brotherly peace.
What messiah? Remember Jesus is a myth and the myth making took place over the first several hundred years. The Jews are still waiting for a messiah. They can’t be disappointed at something that never existed. You are quoting Christian propaganda as if it is historical fact, it isn’t.

This world has never really understood peace. History is littered with the fact.
Well not quite. In the Christian view perhaps but Hinduism was teaching brotherly tolerance and love 1500 years before Christianity and Krishna even stated 'one who is equal to friends and enemies... is very dear to me' (BG 12:18) is reminiscent of 'love your enemies' (Matt. 6:44 ). There are many references to the similarities between Krishna (a.k.a. Chrishna) and jesus, and there is a good chance that many of those similarities were the result of typical Christian plagiarism.

But even if Jesus did exist and originated the idea of brotherly love, why would you conclude that this message had to be divine? Mankind has grown from the stone age and onwards learning all the time. The way to learn seems very often to be from mistakes, and usually expensive ones. We have grown in terms of economics, politics, science, and morality from those early barbaric times. It seems quite reasonable to assume that we can reason our way through the futility of war and aggression as many have already reasoned independently of Christianity. I.e. we don’t need a deity to tell us what we are perfectly capable of discovering for ourselves. As a valid philosophy brotherly love is great, but there is no need to stretch it into a religion.

But again if Christianity had originated brotherly love then fine but it didn’t stop there. What has made Christianity so effective over the past 2000 years was not the teaching of love but the enforcement of punishment. The current emphasis on Christian love is relatively new (the past two hundred years perhaps). For most of the past it has been the fear of hell that many political regimes have enjoyed so much. Note that hell did not exist before Christianity. Hell is a Christian creation. You should ask yourself why such an alleged perfect God who teaches love has any need of a place that uses eternal torment? Even the modern day legal system in Christian countries request that witnesses state; ‘tell the whole truth so help me God’. Curious don’t you think? This is not love that is being taught but an emphasis on fear of hell if one tells a lie. What wonderful power those early regimes had. It was not enough that people could be threatened with hanging or crucifixion for their crimes, but instead the eternal damnation of your soul. Note that the more refined and mature religion of Hinduism has no concept of hell.

But has the teaching of Christian love succeeded? The pope, I believe, has now apologized for the mistake of the crusades and the Spanish inquisition. But what of the current born again Christian George Bush in his obnoxious haste to wage war on Iraq?

Why did the people ask for Barrabus to be freed, and death to Christ? Barrabus was a murderer and a rebel. Christ could have hardly fullfilled the needs of the Jews as a mythical deliver in their eyes, if they chose the freedom of a criminal. It is not hard to believe those who would make this choice would also choose to murder the innocent.
It took Christianity 400 years to decide when the alleged Jesus was born. That indicates some of the accuracy (or lack thereof) of the Jesus myths. There are no credible historical records of the event of Jesus’ alleged trial and claimed events of that period. To then claim details such as the name of a particular criminal is absurd. This is pure myth making. But what of Josephus and his alleged Testimonium Flavianum, you might say? This is the least disputed of about three claimed proofs for the existence of Jesus.

The claimed TF –
Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ . And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.
Here is a link to a comprehensive analysis and further links http://www.concentric.net/~Mullerb/appe.shtml

The conclusion reads - In all likelihood, Josephus never wrote any Testimonium Flavianum.

The Josephus texts had been so manipulated by enthusiastic Christians desperately looking for proof of Jesus that if the text had at any time any authenticity it is now lost.

The alleged details of the Jesus trial did not surface in Christian writings until the second century and the existence of Pilate did not surface for some 80 years in the letters of Ignatius, and even that date is dubious. Given the technology of today with our claims to objective reporting and we still cannot accurately report much of what occurs within the past few years, then what chance is there that any events 2000 years ago would have been accurately reported 100+ years later? It isn’t credible. I’m afraid you are not quoting history but just mythology.

Last edited:
Cris, would it not be simpler to use Ockham's razor to postulate the existance of a historical Jesus?

While there's little evidence that Jesus existed, there's also little evidence that Buddha existed. Yet it seems probable that such a religion had to have someone to start it. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, correct?

As for Catholicism being Christian or not, I'd say it's a bit of both. Catholicism is the origional Christian church, although the RCC bears little resemblence ot the origional Christian movement. As all institutions do, the RCC evolved over time to become something that isn't exactly Christian (the accumulation of works of art and political power springs to mind) but can't be described as completely non-Christian.

To quote Nietzsche on the pre-Reformation papacy:

"Instead of grasping, with profound thanksgiving, the miracle that had taken place: the conquest of Christianity at its capital--instead of this, his hatred was stimulated by the spectacle. A religious man thinks only of himself.--Luther saw only the depravity of the papacy at the very moment when the opposite was becoming apparent: the old corruption, the peccatum originale, Christianity itself, no longer occupied the papal chair! Instead there was life! Instead there was the triumph of life! Instead there was a great yea to all lofty, beautiful and daring things!"

Cris- Excelent reasearch on this!

To add my resonation- It seems that it is impossible to state 'Jesus Christ existed' and have conclusive evidence. The supposed date of his existance is just too distant and there are no unbiased records of it. And all historical records are extremely unreliable, they are just too easily destroyed or forged to suite a political or religious purpouse.

I don't want to close the argument with 'Jesus didn't exist' however. I don't believe he did, but I'm not in a possition to impose this on anyone. And I don't think that anyone else is in the possition to impose the opposite on me, which is the problem with most believers. They want to 'save' everyone by imposing the fear of hell on all non-believers. I find this to be moraly wrong.

Xev,

Cris, would it not be simpler to use Ockham's razor to postulate the existance of a historical Jesus?
Ockams razor is a good guide but it isn’t a proof. But the razor works fairly well when one is considering levels of complexity, but that isn’t the case here. The issue here is one of popular belief. The best parallel is perhaps the flat earth example. By that reasoning we must conclude that Earth was at one time flat because nearly everyone believed it.

Rumors come to be believed very easily and are often extremely difficult to disprove, especially when myths are being intentionally developed, as we know they were for Christianity. The flat earth example was easily disproved once science had matured sufficiently, but no such proof is likely for the existence or non-existence of Jesus.

But were there historic figures that started all the legends that we have? Robin Hood, King Arthur, and William Tell are more recent legends. Many believe these figures existed but they are quite fictional. They were created around an ideal, a concept. People so much wanted such legends to be true that the accuracy and legitimacy becomes lost in the telling. The issue of Jesus is so much stronger because there were political forces that depended on such a truth and would go to any length to create it and destroy evidence to the contrary.

From my perspective and to a large extent it matters little whether such a man as Jesus existed or not, the fiction of Christianity remains intact. If he was the nodal point of yet another legend then fine. But the exploration and attempt to show his existence or non-existence is an excellent focal point for exploring the veracity of Christian claims. Much of those claims begin with ‘Jesus said….’. If he didn’t exist then who said these things? And if he did exist then who reported his words? I rather like one of Tiassa’s remarks about when Jesus was alone before his capture and pleading with God – who was it who reported what he said? This is the technique used by the fiction novelist.

Here is a good article that further explores the probable legend of Jesus and how rumors are easily started, and some more about Mithra etc.

http://www.bookrags.com/books/pchrc/PART13.htm

moonman,

Yes good point.

I argue from the perspective of credibility. If he were the Son of God and our savior then he would be the most important event in the history of mankind. A central tenet is that he existed as a man and led a perfect life. If true then why isn't this vital claim supported by at least one indisputable (as far as humanly possible) piece of evidence?

Cris:

Good argument, makes me re-evaluate my commitment to the idea of Jesus' existance.

I'll submit that legends grow around nonexistant people, however, there actually seems to be some evidence that an actual person started the Robin Hood myth:
http://grahamsphillips.users.btopenworld.com/books/robin.htm

Whether Robin Hood existed or not is beyond the scope, but my point is that some legends do have basis in historical fact. Troy, for example.

My argument is not that Jesus is as the Gospels recorded him. That's physically impossible, by the known laws of nature. But I do think that somebody inspired the Jesus legend.

As you say, this is fairly irrelevent. I think somebody inspired the Jesus story - that is, I don't think he was made up out of thin air - but that's far, far and far away from thinking he was God, the son of God, or one of the three aspects of God.

Back