James Randi

Atom

Registered Senior Member
Oddly enough I know of him and like what he does although there is always a hidden agenda. He is a self publicist and he is a failed magician who's efforts to bend spoons are even worse than Uri Gellers.

Nevertheless much of what he says is spot on...the trouble is that like all sceptics he states the blatantly obvious.

If James Randi were to come on here now I'd wipe the floor with him and then take him to the cleaners. That may seem surprising but I've done it many time before with his colleagues so why not the man himself.

I would give Randi 3 test.

1) Jamie, if you don't believe in the paranormal then why have you spent your entire life researching it when I know its complete tripe.

Would I be correct in saying its a nice little earner?

2) You have a bad habit of mixing up Astrology with the Paranormal. Could you tell us what happened when your society CSICOP tried to investigate Astrology.

Were they not found to have manipulatefd, lied and cheated the statistics, James? Isn't it an utter disgrace that Nobel Prize winning scientists purposely falsified thier stats, James? Aren't you just a tad ashamed of these...so-called..objective scientists. Objective my ass! :D

3) The Great Billy Chyldyshe (aka Daz Madrigal) has £1 MILLION PRIZE FOR ANYONE WHO CAN DISPROVE ASTROLOGY ONCE AND FOR ALL?

Make my day, Punk?

Billy:

Oddly enough I know of him and like what he does although there is always a hidden agenda.

Randi is quite up front about his "agenda". Take a look:

www.randi.org

He is a self publicist and he is a failed magician who's efforts to bend spoons are even worse than Uri Gellers.

Actually, he was a very successful magician, and he bends spoons at least as well as Geller, who has been caught cheating many times.

If James Randi were to come on here now I'd wipe the floor with him and then take him to the cleaners.

And if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

I would give Randi 3 test.

Why don't you take Randi's challenge instead, and take his million dollars for yourself? Do you claim to have paranormal powers? Or can you prove that astrology works? Either one would get you $1 million if you can demonstrate it under controlled conditions.

Do you have a public profile sufficient to apply for the challenge?

1) Jamie, if you don't believe in the paranormal then why have you spent your entire life researching it when I know its complete tripe.

Would I be correct in saying its a nice little earner?

Randi hasn't spent his entire life on that. He was a professional magician. Also, Randi is entitled to earn a living, just like you.

2) You have a bad habit of mixing up Astrology with the Paranormal. Could you tell us what happened when your society CSICOP tried to investigate Astrology.

Check for yourself:

www.csicop.org

Were they not found to have manipulatefd, lied and cheated the statistics, James?

No.

Isn't it an utter disgrace that Nobel Prize winning scientists purposely falsified thier stats, James? Aren't you just a tad ashamed of these...so-called..objective scientists. Objective my ass! :D

These claims are libellous. Please post your evidence.

3) The Great Billy Chyldyshe (aka Daz Madrigal) has £1 MILLION PRIZE FOR ANYONE WHO CAN DISPROVE ASTROLOGY ONCE AND FOR ALL?

Sure you do.

Make my day, Punk?

Why don't you just prove it true and claim Randi's million?

I'm wondering why the trolling OP doesn't actually go to the JREF forum and post his nonsense there. James Randi isn't a member of Sciforums (that we know of), therefore, creating a thread to challenge Randi here is obvious trolling.

Moreover, even those who dislike James Randi can't exactly call him a "failed magician" since his career as a magician is a matter of public record and one that was very successful by even the worst standards. Indeed, there are many public records of Randi appearing on stage and television performing tricks which he freely admits to being tricks in which hosts and the audience were unable to catch him up.

Clearly Billy whomever is a fraud and a liar, otherwise he is deluded. In another thread he was called out on his lies/delusions and has yet to provide evidence for his positive claim of objective truth with regard to astrology.

Rather than continue to show intellectual cowardice, this troll should be required to establish his evidence or leave our board. We've enough trolls as it is. All the kooks and woo-woos want to come to the "science board" and get their 15 minutes of google fame when the big search engine lights up the marquee of their screenname.

But the extent of intellectual cowardice isn't limited to Billy's refusal to show the evidence of his paranormal nonsense (astrology). He also demonstrates it by attacking an individual that doesn't participate in our board. Such a strawman is constructed simply to berate and deride James Randi in a place where Billy won't have to worry about "wiping the floor" or taking Randi "to the cleaners" and whatever other cliche metaphors he can think of.

The reality is, that should Billy dare set a cyber-foot on the doorstep of JREF, it is he that would have his ass handed to him.

If you aren't a coward, Billy, go there and post: http://forums.randi.org/

Is this locked?

Spyder said something about bringing threads together.

I'll just check.

<< James Randi isn't a member of Sciforums (that we know of) >>

Someone mentioned Randi and then James R. posting, which I admit seemed odd because I doubt he can be bothered.

The point is...ignoring the tripe above about being a 'troll'..as a forum host I know the difference between trolling and just being someone with a different opnion...so the poster above is deluded to say the least.

Er..the point is that I had some correspondence with both the Skeptical Enquirer and the Skeptic (english version). It was full of stuff about ghost hunters and people who take photos of frisbees or of Venus and then fob them off to a gullible public.

I think my point to the editor was a very valid one. In short...why waste time with this rubbish. Surely anyone who takes it seriously enough to research and write about is as odd as the UFO hunters. And indeed it is true. Members of the Sceptic - or Skeptic as they insist < yawn > - are indeed every bit as eccentric and as odd as the people who belive in tripe such as crop circles.

The Editor..Steve Donelly, Prof of Elect.Engineering at Salford Uni had the good grace to accept that Astrology was indeed a different kettle of fish altogether. Ask him?

He also had the good grace to concede that scientists had completely failed to refute the Gauquelin data and had much to be ashamed about for falsifying results. It was and remains a despicable blot on science. To deliberately distort results has no place in moral society let alone Science!

So quite the reverse...there ARE some decent blokes out there and I have no probs with James Randi at all. I think he's barking up the wrong tree re. astrology and he tends to concentrate on the vast lower end of the market. Its akin to writing off a tabloid as a piece of junk when with a little effort he could have bought a broadsheet.

I simply think that he's found himself a profitable niche and thats fine. Nothing more, nothing less. Essentialy though these people..even quite clever people like Patrick Moore are pleasant enough but are just as odd as the people they criticise. Thats why they have interesting beards and hair styles..its like going back and watching the Open Univ programmes circa 1972 :)))

The point is...ignoring the tripe above about being a 'troll'..as a forum host I know the difference between trolling and just being someone with a different opnion...so the poster above is deluded to say the least.

Your opinion has been trumped, with facts. Which forum do you host? Allow us to come over and tear you a new one in front of your members. And, we'll demonstrate what trolling is and isn't so that you may revise your definition.

Er..the point is that I had some correspondence with both the Skeptical Enquirer and the Skeptic (english version). It was full of stuff about ghost hunters and people who take photos of frisbees or of Venus and then fob them off to a gullible public.

You mean, like those who fob off astrology to the gullible public?

I think my point to the editor was a very valid one. In short...why waste time with this rubbish. Surely anyone who takes it seriously enough to research and write about is as odd as the UFO hunters. And indeed it is true. Members of the Sceptic - or Skeptic as they insist < yawn > - are indeed every bit as eccentric and as odd as the people who belive in tripe such as crop circles.

And astrology.

The Editor..Steve Donelly, Prof of Elect.Engineering at Salford Uni had the good grace to accept that Astrology was indeed a different kettle of fish altogether. Ask him?

Why? His opinion of astrology doesn't make it any more valid than yours.

He also had the good grace to concede that scientists had completely failed to refute the Gauquelin data and had much to be ashamed about for falsifying results. It was and remains a despicable blot on science. To deliberately distort results has no place in moral society let alone Science!

What do you know of science? So far, you've not demonstrated even the slightest bit of knowledge. How can you even comment on such a thing?

So quite the reverse...there ARE some decent blokes out there and I have no probs with James Randi at all. I think he's barking up the wrong tree re. astrology and he tends to concentrate on the vast lower end of the market. Its akin to writing off a tabloid as a piece of junk when with a little effort he could have bought a broadsheet.

Didn't know there was a 'lower end' to the market of astrology? Most likely, you think Randi is 'barking up the wrong tree' because you know all to well he would shred your claims to pieces, kinda like we did. :D

I simply think that he's found himself a profitable niche and thats fine. Nothing more, nothing less.

Isn't that what you've done?

Sure I can do just that. I want proof that you have 1 million dollars in an escrow account and I want a legally binding contract (compatible with the U.S. and your geography) so I can sue you when you back out once I disprove astrology.

Its not in dollars. I'm Anglais, Old bean.

The way to shut up sceptics is to turn the tables and ask them 'why they spend so much time trying to disprove something they think don't exists?

For some reason they just can't choke out an answer no matter how long theyre given. A bit like Q and Oli. Theyre confuzzled.

The way to shut up sceptics is to turn the tables and ask them 'why they spend so much time trying to disprove something they think don't exists?
Because some one comes along and say he can prove it?
Then fails to offer any evidence whatsoever.
We're still waiting...

For some reason they just can't choke out an answer no matter how long theyre given. A bit like Q and Oli. Theyre confuzzled.
:roflmao:

Its not in dollars. I'm Anglais, Old bean.

What's the conversion for 1 mil Anglais in USD?

In my case its to win your money ;). I suspect that the act of disproving popular fantasies is a way for a skeptic to promote truth and exposes liars for what they are.

You need as many smilies as you can get because as with most scientists you almost totally absent of any wit whatsoever. Even less so than Olllie.

Whats sad is that even the Editor of Randi's rag..accepted most of the points on this thread and went as far as to say that science had failed to answer many of the points put to it.

Talking to you is like being insulted by an 6 yr old..in fact my 6 yr is a lot more inventive than you are.

He could describe you talents perfectly. Your only talent, Pal is being able to play blow football with your back against the table.

Now that IS funny. And it doesnt need a grinning loon after every sentence to make me howl with laughter.

Give us something to disprove then.. but you wont, since you know fullwell that we actually will.

Astrology is the TRIPE here.

Back