It's all about awareness

I must say Hoth has really good logic going for him, I applaude you loudly.

But about the how do we know what reality is? Question, look under a thread in General Philosophy called Beliefs....... I think that's what its called. I talked about this in great depth.

http://www.sciforums.com/t7351/s/thread.html

A little late but here it goes...

I see god, though I'm an atheist, remember that one of the sentences of the bible in Genesis, explains that we are made in god's image, so when I see myself in the mirror, am I not seeing the image of god?.

I see why TS posted this question, to get silly answers, I see the point of making philosophy, out of self image, this has been used before. Was it not Caesar, who said; "man can not see his own image without a mirror"? What did he mean by this?

Quote: Ayn Rand;

Consciousness: Existence exist-and the act of grasping that statement implies two corollary axioms: That something exists which one perceives and that one exists possessing consciousness, consciousness being the faculty of perceiving that which exists.

If nothing exists, there can be no consciousness: a consciousness with nothing to be conscious of is a contradiction in terms. A consciousness conscious of nothing but itself is a contradiction in terms: before it could identify itself as consciousness, it had to be conscious of something. If that which you claim to percieve does not exist, what you possess is not consciousness.

Whatever your degree of your knowledge, these two (existence and consciousness-are axioms) you cannot escape, these two are the irreducible primaries implied in any action you undertake, in any part of your knowledge and in its sum, from the first ray of light ou perceive at the start of your life to the widest erudition you might acquire at its end. Whether you know the shape of a pebble or the structure of a solar system, the axioms remain the same: that *it* exists and that you *know* it. Existence is Identity. Consciousness is identification.

Consciousness is separated from the body.

That statement is utterly nonsence!. Your mind possess consciousness, your mind is part of your body.

Xev,

Thanks ;)

Hoth,

But the body is simply a perception within consciousness, so how can demonstrate that it has a location seperate from consciousness?

So... you think that the body IS consciousness...?
Have you ever though about those billions of living beings inside you? And I'm not talking only about your cells, I'm also talikng about the bacterias you have in your stomach which are essential for your life...! Do they have their own consciousness? Are they separated from you? It's a symbiotic relationship. You are like a city, or a planet. You are actually a god for your cells, who pray for you whenever they need you (when they need food, for example). You see... you are not your cells, you are not your body... :)

Love,
Nelson

Originally posted by TruthSeeker
You are actually a god for your cells, who pray for you whenever they need you (when they need food, for example). You see... you are not your cells, you are not your body... :)

Hmmm....good points raised there TS!!

Love

Jan Ardena.

You are actually a god for your cells, who pray for you whenever they need you (when they need food, for example).

Nelson, I've seen assumptive leaps but this one takes the cake. Can you show anything in this statement that is not pure imagination? Are there little temples in my intestines? Bacteria lighting incense and chanting? If I'm God, why can't I hear them? It sounds to me as if you watched Star Wars Episode 1 too many times and started taking Lucas's "midi-chlorians" as fact rather than fantasy.

~Raithere

Raithere,

Nelson, I've seen assumptive leaps but this one takes the cake. Can you show anything in this statement that is not pure imagination? Are there little temples in my intestines? Bacteria lighting incense and chanting? If I'm God, why can't I hear them? It sounds to me as if you watched Star Wars Episode 1 too many times and started taking Lucas's "midi-chlorians" as fact rather than fantasy.

When you feel hungry, your cells are asking you food...
Btw... why everyone reads things so literally...?
Can't you intepret some metaphors...? :bugeye: :eek:

Actually, the feeling of hunger is driven by hormones released by the stomach and blood-sugar levels.

Btw... why everyone reads things so literally...?

Sorry :) But you didn't give any indicators that you meant that as an analogy. I will take it as such now.

~Raithere

Err, when you catch a cold, are you punishing your cells for not worshiping you enough or your cells punishing you for not granting wishes often?

daktaklakpak,

Err, when you catch a cold, are you punishing your cells for not worshiping you enough or your cells punishing you for not granting wishes often?

Depends... if you want to get a cold... then, you are punishing them and yourself... :bugeye:
They can't punish you...

Love,
Nelson

Originally posted by Godless
Quote: Ayn Rand;
If nothing exists, there can be no consciousness: a consciousness with nothing to be conscious of is a contradiction in terms.

As nothing only exists in relation to something, consciousness must be the animator of existence, so in truth “nothing” doesn’t factually exist it is only percieved, so how can there be contradiction.

A consciousness conscious of nothing but itself is a contradiction in terms:

Well of course it is.

… before it could identify itself as consciousness, it had to be conscious of something.

What does she mean, “identify itself as consciousness?”
I can identify myself as Jan Ardena, but this is because I am conscious, my consciousness is functioning whether or not I identify myself. A new born baby is not self aware but it has consciousness. Self identification is a secondary prossess.

If that which you claim to percieve does not exist, what you possess is not consciousness.

Then what is it?
If someone tells lies, is that person not conscious?
Does she mean if that person were dead then he could neither tell the truth or tell lies, in which case he would possess no consciousness?

That statement is utterly nonsence!

Why so?

Your mind possess consciousness, your mind is part of your body.

Every part of an abled body is active due to consciousness.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Originally posted by Primeval Beauty
you think so:bugeye:

I see JESUS

That's nice. I just see a bright white light. Tends to do stuff to the mirror itself, as well. You know, solid gold frames, silver back (instead of aluminum), naked angels with harps imbedded into the frames, etc. I've actually been sued a couple times for this.

However, I usually wear a bag on my head because otherwise people around me suddenly know everything and see all, as well as being flawless etc.

I can tell you that however close existing religions may have gotten to my nature, not close enough. I am one god, and infinite gods at the same time. And no, nonbelievers don't go to hell, they go nowhere like everybody else. When you die, your brain ceases to function (some might call this your soul), and you begin to decompose. You don't go fly in the sky with me or anything. What a dumb thought...

BTW Xev I like you, wanna be immortal? ;)

Godless,

Just to complement Jan...

A consciousness, to be able to create, needs to have infinite potential of creation. That's because creation is dependent on knowledge- you can't create something that is beyond your knowledge. That's why God is omniscient. God is The Consciousness. God is Life and we are also Life, as we are made from His image. He is nothing and everything. He is "Alpha and Omega". Omnipresence... With omnipresence and omniscience, omnipotence exists...

If nothing exists, there can be no consciousness: a consciousness with nothing to be conscious of is a contradiction in terms.

Nothing exists because it's a part of "everything"...!! :eek:
"Everything" includes "nothing"... :D:D

A consciousness conscious of nothing but itself is a contradiction in terms:

God is everywhere. He must be conscious of everything...
Including "nothing"...:D

Even us are conscient of some things... but not everything, as God...

… before it could identify itself as consciousness, it had to be conscious of something.

Let me complement Jan... :D
Self-awareness is THE spiritual path.
Of course... because everything you can be sure of is yourself... :)

God is conscient of His own absence... which is, btw, an illusion created by the human mind, which concentrates the conscience in one's soul...

If that which you claim to percieve does not exist, what you possess is not consciousness.

Illusions are also consciousness... but a low consciousness, a narrowed consciousness, reduced to Itself. It creates beliefs, it creates lies, but it's all on the mind...

Is that me...?
Cool! :cool: :)
...:D

Your mind possess consciousness, your mind is part of your body.

Yep. Your mind possess consciousness. Your mind is not your conscience. The brain is just a physical organ, but not consciousness itself... :bugeye:

One more thing Jan let pass...

I see god, though I'm an atheist, remember that one of the sentences of the bible in Genesis, explains that we are made in god's image, so when I see myself in the mirror, am I not seeing the image of god?.

Also in the Bible:
1 Corinthians 13:12

"12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. "

We ARE made by His image. We ARE like Him. WE just can't perceive it. That's my point. That's why self-awareness is so important.

We look to ourselves but we don't see that we are like Him, because we are not aware of it. It's like a dream. Like the Toltecs say, it's a fog that provides us to see Light (Life) inside each other.

Also in the Bible:
Ephesians 5:13-14

"13But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, 14for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said:
"Wake up, O sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you." "

Again...
It's all about awareness...

Love,
Nelson

Back