Islam: A Defective Civilization?

Re: So, we're Americans. Does that mean we should stop trying?

Originally posted by tiassa
I do understand the point. I'm telling you the "theocracy" is sublimated.

There is no theocracy nor is there a significant number of Western Christians who want one.

No, but it's pretty common in the third world, the poor sinners ....

Nice job dodging the question.

And Americans, free of the fetters of such "awful" religions as Islam (however that works out), should generally be smarter than the people we tend to look down upon. Woo-hoo. By your comparison, we're equivalent to the Saudis.

Which comparison was that?

But follow sexuality through American history; you'll find Christianity at the heart of it.

Christianity is the spiritual foundation for Western nations and therefore it shouldn't be surprising that something as important to people's lives as religion plays such a important role in societal attitudes.

Which point overlooks that Christianity overcame stiff dogmatic resistance to change. What did it? Sin. Money, leisure, luxury. If Americans were, by and large, as poor as Iranians or some-such, religion would be even more apparent than it is. Sure, there would be less of a televangelism industry, but the people wouldn't need to pay someone to scare them. Under such conditions, they can scare themselves easily enough.

Nonetheless, the author conveniently overlooks a vital part of his comparison to Christian history.

Nowhere in the article does Locke deny that Christianity had its own brutally enforced dogma to overcome.

Nowhere in the article does it say that Islamic countries will never be tolerant, secular and civilized, but only that most of them aren't that way at the moment.

Of course, I can if I throw out the whole of human history and accept that the narrow consideration of facts offered by the author constitutes the whole of reality.

The fact is that Islamic societies are dominated by Islamic law and culture. These laws come from the Koran, which was written a good few centuries before the Crusades and a good thirteen centuries before imperialism and the creation of Israel.

I'm running out of better excuses to make for people.There are plenty of reasons to dislike anybody.

So you assume the reason is bigotry...perhaps because the group being criticized has now been deemed politically correct?

In the meantime, what are the reasons for those reasons?

Islam, Islam and a combination of Islam and the willingness to ignore the rights of others to make some quick money.

Why don't we take Iran as an example. Has it ever occurred to you to ask why the Iranians raised Khomeni to power? Is it just because they're Muslims and defective? Or might it possibly have something to do with a tyrannical Shah who built the world's third-strongest army and a legendary secret police force known for its savagery, who oppressed his people and attempted to forcibly "Westernize" their appearance and mores while playing a game of circle-jerk with the US and UK as those states wrangled with the Soviet Union for better petrol prices? (It seems I mentioned this argument briefly earlier. Sorry to repeat, but this is the slightly-filled-in version.)

You can oppose the Shah without supporting Khomeni, can't you? I am very hostile to the idea of Islamic theocracy, but that doesn't mean I am not equally hostile to the thought of Christian, Pagan, Hindu or Buddhist theocracies as well.

Seems to be a useless point.

It was important enough for you to specifically mention it in a previous post.

I think about the woman who just lost a court case to wear her veil in her driver's license picture. Yeah ... she probably looks forward to the summer when she can throw on the g-string, oil up, and hit the beach.

The point was the lack of reverence non-Muslims have for Islamic culture. As a Muslim, her opinion would not be grouped in with non-Muslims.

If, for instance, the United States didn't seem so eternally offensive, flippant, and even hateful, more people would want to be like us and less people would want to blow us up.

I could say the same about Islamic nations.

Even if we move past the oil generalization, there's no pretending that the less-developed and undeveloped world weren't playgrounds for cruel Cold War ambitions.

Sure they were. The main reason being the relative instability of these nations. When you have a new president every week, sooner or later outsiders will start taking an interest in who rises to power.

Nope. The U.S. only raised them to power. That was our contribution.

Or maybe the Soviets did when they invaded Afghanistan.

Wow. Just like the Jews with the Amalekites ... wait four centuries and then get your revenge ...

As opposed to the Muslims who are still having a hissy fit over the Crusades, which happened nearly 1000 years ago.

Why does a four hundred year grudge warrant condemnation but a 900 year old one doesn't?

Looks like the Muslims have another ... three-hundred fifty years or so ... to take back the Palestine before they should give up the quest.

Do you think they will have gotten over the Crusades by then?

So how do the heights of Islam figure in there? Preserving and advancing astronomy and other sciences; universities receiving the equivalent of hundreds of millions of dollars annually?

Something about ignoring historical facts ought to go here, but I doubt that one more repetition will make the point any more clear to you.

Locke mentions this in his article:

"To be fair, one of the sad things about Islam is that many of its definite positive aspects seem to have been blunted in modernity. For example, in the Middle Ages Muslim societies were more tolerant of their religious minorities than was European society at the time, albeit with an air of contempt. They were also more scientifically advanced for a time. All serious writers on modern Islam have posed the following question: why is Islam an obvious correlate, if not a cause, of backwardness today when in the Middle Ages Islamic civilization was one of the most advanced in the world? This is frequently represented as a great puzzle, though I do not think it has to be one. "

And yet he aims to hurt Islam by isolating his examination in a narrow moment in history, without consideration of valid factual counterpoints. The rest of the racism, I admit, might be yours.

Islamic theocracies are governed by Islamic law, which is spelled out in the Koran. The Koran was written before the Soviets invaded Afghanistan; before the UN gave Israel to the Jews; before the Crusades and even before the Islamic invasion of Europe that began in the early eighth century.

The previously mentioned Islamic invasion of Europe certainly affected the direction in which Christianity and the Western societies headed, but anyone who tried to blame the Spanish Inquisition or Salem witch trials on Muslims would be laughed out of the room.

Oh, excuse me, let me split a hair for you: the rest of the ethnocentric crap is all your own.

Not only is it not racist, it isn't even all that ethnocentric.

Nope, but petrol and other policies of Western nations contributes hugely to the interruption of the social evolution. People eventually adapt, but the West just doesn't stop demanding. Maybe Christian nations in history should have been more Christian in their dealings with other people.

"Demands" placed on Western nations during Muslim conquests don't explain or justify the Spanish Inquisition or Salem witch trials.

And history shows that this is not a final condition. But Locke didn't seem to care about those parts of history, did he?

The article wasn't about the possible future manifestations of Islam or about history per se. It was about what Islamic culture is like right now. Right now Islamic culture tends to be brutal and oppressive.

True, Americans do have the luxury of stealing for greed instead of stealing for necessity.

Try some human sympathy sometime, Galt. It won't kill you.

What exactly does that have to do with my point?

Re: The short form

Anti-semitism is anti-semitism. Locke is irrational in his selective disregard for history; one must wonder why. While you seem to want examples of what Locke said, much of the problem is in what Locke didn't say. But like I said, we can do it the long way.

Anti-semitism is anti-semitism, but "semite" denotes ethnicity/regional origin rather than religion. Criticizing Islamic theocracies isn't anti-semitic any more than criticizing Christian theocracies is anti-white.

Do you know why Germans weren't thrown in internment camps in the United States as the Japanese were? Because they were white.

Did you know that both Germans and Italian-Americans were thrown into internment camps?

Galt

Fair enough. I retract racist. "Ethnocentric and Hateful" will be amended into the post in question.

As to the German internment ... well, what do you know? I had always considered the German internment technically different because I was taught that the internment focused on Germans who were not citizens. I know well what "voluntary" internment means; fair enough.

And if for some reason you still don't know my posts well enough that I should disclaim that the "difference" I was taught in terms of the German internment does not suggest it to be in any way right, well, there's the disclaimer for you.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Crunchy Cat

How about the premise that Islam's rigidness has and will continue to prevent it's integration with the rest of the world?
It's a fine thesis. However, Locke seems to depend on the idea that what he is saying is self-evident, a convenient excuse for him to offer no historical context beyond the superficial. Locke simply presumes that the socio-economic decline of the Islamic world is the result of Islam; it never seems to occur to him that the apparent decline of Islam is the result of sinking socio-economic conditions.

Islam's rigidness is symptomatic of its socio-economic condition, symptomatic of a reduced educational infrastructure.

Consider Wahhabi: It is relatively modern, from the last few centuries. This is the "Islam" that most Americans fear. Right now I'm looking through a PDF from The Islamic Supreme Council of America, Ahl as-Sunna vs. the "Wahhabi-Salafi" Movement (Introduction and Foreword)[/url]. There is also Salafis Unveiled, defending the Naqshbandi against the Salafi (Wahhabi) usurpation. How does a widely-denounced (among Muslims) splinter faction become an attractive idea? Think of it in terms that have nothing to do with religion and everything to do with extremism: How did violent, drug-running gangs come to seem an attractive idea to some? The relationship between condition and perspective in a human being is almost entirely inseparable.

Or perhaps the dictatorial states? Why would the people of Iran choose Khomeni? (I'm curious as to your opinion.) And why now are many of them prepared to move "forward" (in my opinion as well as many others) toward a more democratic existence? Kapuscinski (Shah of Shahs) noted that the history of the people who became Iran's Shia have lived for over two millennia under tyrants.

I can assert well enough concerning Wahhabi, and also in the case of Iran: the theocratically-based hell people are going through has more to do with international relations than it does with Islam itself. One of the reasons Christianity in the United States doesn't degrade into any more than a few bombings here and there and some rabid but cowardly militia nuts is that we enjoy relative peace and security. After losing the Ottoman Empire, Muslims haven't really been the same.

And in that, a number of factors have wounded Islam. When tyrants come to power, they snuff out the smartest members of their society because those people can bring them down more easily than the less-educated masses. With the moderating voice of a religion virtually silenced, difficult conditions evoke severe responses. Wahhabi is one of these. Sectarian tensions are subject to such responses. The tie between the past and the present is especially vital here.

Abu Ahmad Mustafa makes an important point:
Moreover, I am amazed at the clerics who raise a hue and cry about Jihad against Israel, engage in conflict, and compete with each other in issuing religious rulings on suicide [attacks] - but do not encourage the citizens to wage spiritual Jihad. Wouldn't this be more useful to the [Arab] nation, which since the turn of the century has been subject to Nakba [catastrophe] by its own military, and now marches towards a second Nakba by its scientists - I refer, of course, to the scientists of religion, and not the scientists of physics, natural science, health, or engineering?
Islam, in my belief, is subject to any number of limitations arising from a redemption scheme. But the serious problems leading to dysfunction are human-level issues: economy, security, education; adaptation to conditions.

How do the beliefs against which Mustafa writes come to be so prevalent?

The answer lies in human-level difficulties; that is, in difficulties which all humans are subject to in one form or another; the arrangement and severity of conditions constitute stimuli to which the organism reacts.

History can tell us how economic, educational, and security-related issues, among others including religious dogma and interpretation affect people.

And that is the history that Locke ignored in order to posit an assertion that is inherently condemning. In treating that condemnation matter-of-factly, Locke tends to pile on the scorn more than he does enlighten any sense of reality. The point of the article seems to be condemning Islam; the article does not seek to actually inform. And that is an editorial right of the author and the media forum.

But I am given to wonder at the point of a zero-sum condemnation.
The title of the article suggests that the author just wants to
explore the idea that might be defective... much like some of FireStone's tire designs.
So do you start with the premise that Firestone's tires suck?

If Locke intended to "explore" any ideas, he should have tried an open consideration of relevant factors instead of delicately assembling circular and unsupportable assertions resting on the notion that the thesis is self-evident.
Using a FireStone tire defect as an anology, what
understanding do you think needs to be increased?
Would you assert that the problem with the tire comes from a misinterpretation of relevant data, or would you claim that the whole of Firestone is defective?

In the case of the tire, did someone merely forget to carry the three? Was someone thinking too aesthetically and not giving enough attention to utility? Is it a design error symptomatic of the entire field of tire design?

Or should we just presume that the whole of Firestone is defective?

And a point perhaps more suited to others ... does not the fact that within Islam there exists resistance against the very dogmatic abuses Locke hopes to ascribe to the whole of Islam indicate that such abuses are not universal among Islam? If there are Muslims resisting the abuses, are they suddenly "not Muslims"? Does a Muslim journalist asking his fellow Muslims what the hell the problem is not signify at least the presence of a more noble facet of Islam than Locke would have us believe is possible?

You're almost funny. Almost as funny as eating Pygmies

There is no theocracy nor is there a significant number of Western Christians who want one.
I hate it when I have to do this:

"Defense Mechanisms"
With each surrender of an aspect of our essential self, energy is taken from essence and channelled into supporting our developing personality. Slowly we create a more and more comprehensive mask that is a socially approved presentation of ourselves, something that makes us "normal". As we identify with that mask, as we forget that we are acting a role and become that role, as false personality becomes more powerful, our essence withers. We may be able to sublimate some aspects of our essential nature that are not allowed direct expression, to salvage them. A few may persist because our culture happens to value them. For many aspects of our essence, their energy is lost, absorbed in maintaining the false personality, the mask.
- Abnormal Psychology circa 1950
White's textbook suggested that neuroses are all ways of dealing with psychological conflict or with anxiety. ("Anxiety" was a very popular psychological term in that era, as "low self-esteem" would become later.) The idea was that anxiety could be "free floating" and result in panic attacks without apparent cause, or it could be "attached" to some object or situation as a phobia, or it could be somehow reduced or blocked out by repeated thoughts ("obsessions") or ritual behaviour ("compulsions"). At the time, this sounded very different from what the Freudians were saying, although, in retrospect, I'm not sure how really different it was. The Freudian line was that neuroses are "ego defences" gone too far. To protect the ego, the "self," against conflict, one could repress threatening memories, or "project" some nasty characteristic characteristic of oneself, attributing it to other people, or "displace" or "sublimate" psychological energy into harmless ritual or into creative behaviour. "Hypochondriacs" (almost forget them) were said to be attempting a neurotic conversion of their psychological problems into physical ones, and "hysterics" were neurotics who had apparently succeeded in doing so.
I think it is fair to assert that an overt theocracy is not sublimated.

Please consider, the following excerpt; I apologize for having no online link:
The members of all communities, including nations and whole civilizations, are infused with the prevailing ideologies of those communities. These, in turn, create attitudes of mind which include certain capacities and equally positively exclude others.

The ideologies may be so ancient, so deep-seated or so subtle that they are not identified as such by the people at large. In this case they are often discerned only through a method of challenging them, asking questions about them, or by comparing them with other communities.

Such challenge, description or questioning, often the questioning of assumptions, is what frequently enables a culture or a number of people from that culture to think in ways that have been closed to most of their fellows. (Emir Ali Khan°)
Quite obviously, I'm after a theme.
Shall we review? This is especially fun in light of your difficulty with the idea of sublimation.

Tiassa: And what of legislation written in various localities throughout the United States granting permission to people to walk down the street in various states of undress? In the United States, the presumption that people must wear clothes is inherently Judeo-Christian.

Galt: Can you walk naked through the streets of Saudi Arabia or the People's Republic of China? Unlikely. The idea of expecting people to be clothed in public is not specific to any one religion.

Tiassa: No, but it's pretty common in the third world, the poor sinners ....

Galt: Nice job dodging the question.

What I can't figure out is what you wanted, Galt. Did you expect me to assert that a woman could walk stark naked down the street in downtown Tehran?

Do you for some reason disagree with the assertion that in the US, prohibitions against public exposure are inherently Judeo-Christian? If so, I find it ironic that you did not choose to address the point.

And to the other, you're making part of my point for me: Everybody has their reasons.

And no ... an overt theocracy is not sublimated.
Which comparison was that?
Well, instead of actually responding to the point about nudity was to invoke Saudi Arabia and China.
Christianity is the spiritual foundation for Western nations and therefore it shouldn't be surprising that something as important to people's lives as religion plays such a important role in societal attitudes.
Why make excuses for it? As you address the sublimated theocracy at this point, I must question your motives for such deflections as you started your post with.
Nowhere in the article does Locke deny that Christianity had its own brutally enforced dogma to overcome.
Sigh.

Nor does he really address those issues at all.

And that's sad because it's key: Christianity shook off much of its overt difficulties, sublimated the remainder. Certes, we do not burn witches at the stake anymore, but Christians in Oregon did attempt to essentially revoke the civil rights of a group of people for being gay. The theocracy still grips many Americans' minds; it's merely sublimated. They can't outright kill people, but they can attempt to kick them out of society.

But beyond that: How did Christianity attain this relative peace? I've always made the joke that they found something more important to them than God. Well, not always. But, as Roger Waters sang: By the Grace of God almighty and the pressures of the marketplace the human race has civilized itself.

Hint: The point of that is that economy and security will call on different qualities in a Muslim than the ability to explode himself in an Israeli cafe.
Nowhere in the article does it say that Islamic countries will never be tolerant, secular and civilized, but only that most of them aren't that way at the moment.
Well, to call Islam a defective society pretty much sums it up. He did not call it wounded. He called it defective.

Consider this excerpt from the article:

- One cannot help noticing that if we take ?civilization? in the sense established by Sam Huntingdon?s excellent The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order, it appears that they are the problem child of the planet.

You'll notice, that, in the article, he does not expand on this note at all. It is well enough for him to blame the problem child without any consideration other factors. With real children, we must look to the parenting--the order of the environment of growth--before we presume a genetic defect. In the metaphor, we must consider to what stimuli the problem child is responding. Locke holds this notion in disdain:

- The alternative, of course, is that the trouble Islam appears to cause is the product of pure politics and not of religion per se. After years of politically-correct West-bashing sapping our spirit, it is probably salutary for us to assert our superiority if it is warranted . . . .

Locke's establishment of a false dualism precludes his consideration of any more subtle relationships between the nature of Islam itself and the environment to which it responded.

And in the end it really does seem to be about chest-beating with Locke, about asserting superiority:

- All serious writers on modern Islam have posed the following question: why is Islam an obvious correlate, if not a cause, of backwardness today when in the Middle Ages Islamic civilization was one of the most advanced in the world?

- The simplest explanation is that Islam dictates by dogmatic fiat a kind of high-medieval civilization, but because it establishes it by dogma, it cannot easily advance beyond it, because dogma is fixed.

The simplest explanation Locke can invent is the only one he's interested in. At no point does he explore his thesis in any positive sense, but works hard to drive home the inherent defectiveness of Islam that is apparently unique in the world or considerably more troublesome. And yet Locke does little to establish one way or another: he acknowledges some difficulties of Christianity, but only to beat his chest in comparison, and to make assertions about the flexibility of Christianity and the rigidity of Islam without ever considering the conditions surrounding the growth of each.
The fact is that Islamic societies are dominated by Islamic law and culture. These laws come from the Koran, which was written a good few centuries before the Crusades and a good thirteen centuries before imperialism and the creation of Israel.
And I'm sure there's a larger point to that? Or should I do your part for you?
So you assume the reason is bigotry...perhaps because the group being criticized has now been deemed politically correct?
I'm borrowing a card from Locke's deck: it's the simplest explanation. Every way I read the article, I run into the same dead-ends: his disregard for history is atrocious; his political bias, while it is his right, contributes nothing toward resolving the problem he pretends to address.

Was he bored that day? Pissed off at the neighbor's dog? I'll buy that.
Islam, Islam and a combination of Islam and the willingness to ignore the rights of others to make some quick money.
If that's the way you really see it, at least you're willing to admit it.
You can oppose the Shah without supporting Khomeni, can't you?
And that has what to do with what?
I am very hostile to the idea of Islamic theocracy, but that doesn't mean I am not equally hostile to the thought of Christian, Pagan, Hindu or Buddhist theocracies as well.
What's more important to you? Your hostility or the condition of your fellow human being?
It was important enough for you to specifically mention it in a previous post.
Your literacy, your problem. Are you dense intentionally? Is this some character you play?

I mean, really ... I try to have patience with people, and I try to be even more patient with ESL writers at this site.

But it's your point, Galt, that was useless. I've already addressed the stupidity of Locke's approach to the point. Did you really think you could simply resurrect the basic presumption like that?
The point was the lack of reverence non-Muslims have for Islamic culture. As a Muslim, her opinion would not be grouped in with non-Muslims.
The price of tea in China? (I'm sure you think you're posting good argumentative points, but I'm not sure what argument you think you're having.
I could say the same about Islamic nations.
Good. Do so. Thank you for affirming my point.
The main reason being the relative instability of these nations. When you have a new president every week, sooner or later outsiders will start taking an interest in who rises to power.
So we should blame the pawns of the Cold War for not being the USA or the USSR?
Or maybe the Soviets did when they invaded Afghanistan.
What?

While I see an indirect point there, and one with which I would probably agree to a certain extent, I was thinking more of American covert assistance to the Taleban.

- The Largest Covert Operation in CIA History
- Afghanistan Fact Sheet #2: A Brief History Focusing on 1979 - 2001
- Lessons from History: U.S. Policy Toward Afghanistan
- Afghanistan, the CIA, bin Laden, and the Taliban
- CIA's tracks lead in disastrous circle
As opposed to the Muslims who are still having a hissy fit over the Crusades, which happened nearly 1000 years ago.

Why does a four hundred year grudge warrant condemnation but a 900 year old one doesn't?
Actually, the one that is a more pressing concern to me is the grudge that is fifty years old. That's actually the one that counts right about now.
Do you think they will have gotten over the Crusades by then?
Given your disrespect for history, I'm wondering if this kind of empty crap is all you have left.

The dynamic between Christians and Muslims over the last millennium is rather difficult, but I noticed you did ignore the part about the Intifada.
Locke mentions this in his article . . . .
Just to save time, I've addressed that point above. Suffice to say that Locke's "simplest" explanation is about as historical as a dry hump in the back of a '73 Super Beetle. I wouldn't even worry about the simple explanation if it was supported by a careful consideration of history.
Islamic theocracies are governed by Islamic law, which is spelled out in the Koran. The Koran was written before the Soviets invaded Afghanistan; before the UN gave Israel to the Jews; before the Crusades and even before the Islamic invasion of Europe that began in the early eighth century.
I'm sure you think there's a point to that.
The previously mentioned Islamic invasion of Europe certainly affected the direction in which Christianity and the Western societies headed, but anyone who tried to blame the Spanish Inquisition or Salem witch trials on Muslims would be laughed out of the room.
There are two things to consider in my response to that:

(1) Not if it's a well-constructed, defensible thesis founded in as objective a treatment of history as one can manage according to the available resources.
(2) And if this is insufficient, what does that say about the audience?

And I'll leave it at that because further historical considerations would, based on your behavior so far, only serve to confuse you.
Not only is it not racist, it isn't even all that ethnocentric.
Do you have anything better to do for your defense than feeble counteraccusations? How long would you like this post to be?

It's an easy citation: I don't think the aim was to hurt Islam, but to discredit it as a form of government and its fanatical elements as a desireable culture - and rightly so. (Galt)

If your affirmation had any respect for a reasonably objective consideration, I wouldn't worry about the possibility of ethnocentrism. But I'm quite tired of making excuses in my mind for your hatred of Islam.

And rightly so, I should think.
"Demands" placed on Western nations during Muslim conquests don't explain or justify the Spanish Inquisition or Salem witch trials.
Again, I'm sure you think this has a point. What it is, however, is a mystery to me.
The article wasn't about the possible future manifestations of Islam or about history per se. It was about what Islamic culture is like right now. Right now Islamic culture tends to be brutal and oppressive.
No, the question was whether Islam was defective.

Locke did not say "wounded".

Locke said "defective".

The problem, according to Locke is not politics per se, but a defect of Islam. I understand how you might have gotten the impression that Locke was only attempting to characterize the immediate; his treatment of history is rather quite deceptive.

- At some point, the observer is entitled to wonder if Islam is behind the problems of Islamic countries.

Yes, and I suppose one is. But I would hope they do so with relatively objective eyes. Locke himself is almost religious in his presuppositions.

Think of it this way - If we strip away the politics and look at Islam in terms of its human results, we can say that the Islamic world is troubled by factors both internal and external.

Both the internal and the external factors are unnecessary and symptomatic of paradigmatic presuppositions.

As long as we are going to divide ourselves as human beings into any number of groups, each group has a right to self-determination.

That "they" don't leave "us" to ourselves in that sense (in any particular conflict) is actually irrelevant. What to do about it, however, is a very important and very relevant issue. But as there is a complex history affecting the course of events, it would seem to warrant greater attention than Locke is willing to give it.
What exactly does that have to do with my point?
Which part?

Notes:

° Emir Ali Khan. "Sufi Activity", from Sufi Thought and Action. Idries Shah, ed. London: Octagon, 1990. (p. 43)

Galt,
Since you call all muslims sinners and useless, then let me act in my name since I'm a muslim.

You are a fucking son of a bitch that is worthless. Only if you are begging on the street and I stumble on you, that I would give you charity and show you mercy.

Good job harvesting your diplomatic relationship with anybody who is slightly different than you.

Tiassa, you are wasting your time conversing with a guy with permanent head damage....You can't teach tolerance or advocate it to another, a person discovers and nourishes his/her own tolerance.

There is that

Tiassa, you are wasting your time conversing with a guy with permanent head damage....You can't teach tolerance or advocate it to another, a person discovers and nourishes his/her own tolerance.
True. Technically, I should be nicer about offering ideas related to tolerance, but, as a human being I'm plagued by the factors of being tired of making excuses for bigots, and believing that some people require hostility before you can communicate with them.

In the end, I can't expect to change Galt's mind. But in an artistic consideration of assertions of fact and comparative ethical assertions, there is the possibility of communicating with any spectator who has the patience to read it.

It's a risky investment, isn't it?

Originally posted by Flores
Galt,
Since you call all muslims sinners and useless, then let me act in my name since I'm a muslim.

Please provide quotes of me calling Muslims "sinners" and "useless".

You are a fucking son of a bitch that is worthless. Only if you are begging on the street and I stumble on you, that I would give you charity and show you mercy.

That's so nice of you. Is your judgement of me based on the lie about me calling Muslims "sinners" and "useless", or do you have a real reason?

Good job harvesting your diplomatic relationship with anybody who is slightly different than you.

I have no problem with differences among people providing those differences don't pose a threat to my rights.

Is your diagnosis of permanent head damage based on the lie about me calling Muslims "sinners" and "useless", or do you have a real reason?

A Friendly observation:

Galt: 1
Tiassa: 0

Quite the match, keep slugging!

"Why does the one who talks the loudest always lose the debate?"

Jeremy

Why is the guy with absolutely nothing of value to offer anyone always the smartass?

I mean, really ... you ought to first establish that you are either literate or even conscious.

Really, you're quite stupid if you can't understand.

Why do you choose to continue existing?

Now then ... let's see, by your standard, it's:

Tiassa 1
Jeremy 0

Really, man, don't set standards so low that suicide is an aspiration.

Have you anything of worth to actually offer the conversation?

Seriously, why is it that the stupid jackass with absolutely nothing of value to offer anyone always hops on the bandwagon for the bigoted thug?

I mean, it's not like Galt couldn't stand to remove a portion of his brain by force.

Ooh ... hey ... by your standard, Jeremy, it's now

Tiassa 1
Galt 1

Seriously ... if you're going to advocate haters, Jeremy, have a reason.

If you would like to contribute to this topic, I'm happy to engage you. But otherwise this is the only time I shall stoop so low as to be able to look you in the eye and advise you to truly consider invoking your own death.

Ouch.

Tiassa 2
Jeremy 0

I gotta admit, I like your scoring system, Jeremy. It's easier than having any real point.

Tiassa 3
Jeremy 0

See the way it works, Jeremy?

Why ever would you set such a stupid standard?

Do you have anything to offer, Jeremy? Have you anything of worth about yourself? Insofar as I can tell, the answer is no, so why do you bother continuing to breathe?

Stop wasting good air. More deserving human beings need it.

Tiassa 4
Jeremy 0

Re: You're almost funny. Almost as funny as eating Pygmies

I think it is fair to assert that an overt theocracy is not sublimated.

I don't think the average Christian Westerner is suppressing theocratical inclinations, but even if they were it would kind of prove my point anyway.

If the theocratical tendencies of Western Christians were sublimated it would mean that they [the Christians] recognize that such oppressive beliefs are no longer socially acceptable; an attitude greatly lacking in the average Islamic society.

Do you for some reason disagree with the assertion that in the US, prohibitions against public exposure are inherently Judeo-Christian? If so, I find it ironic that you did not choose to address the point.

Do I think that the authors of indecent exposure laws had something Biblical on their minds at the time? Quite possibly.

Do I think that if all American Christians vanished into thin air it would suddenly become legal to run around butt naked in public? No, I don't.

And no ... an overt theocracy is not sublimated.Well, instead of actually responding to the point about nudity was to invoke Saudi Arabia and China.

And the point of invoking Saudi Arabia and China was to point out that laws against public nudity aren't exclusive to Christianity or predominantly Christian nations.

Why make excuses for it? As you address the sublimated theocracy at this point, I must question your motives for such deflections as you started your post with.

I'm not making excuses for it. I'm pointing out a fact. Christian ethics are the moral basis for most Western nations (but less so now than in the past), just as Islamic ethics are the moral basis for most predominantly Muslim nations.

Nor does he really address those issues at all.

Why should he? It was an article about Islamic society.

If I wrote an article about mechanical problems frequently found in a specific brand of automobile, should I have to mention the problems of every brand of car?

And that's sad because it's key: Christianity shook off much of its overt difficulties, sublimated the remainder. Certes, we do not burn witches at the stake anymore, but Christians in Oregon did attempt to essentially revoke the civil rights of a group of people for being gay. The theocracy still grips many Americans' minds; it's merely sublimated. They can't outright kill people, but they can attempt to kick them out of society.

There are of course many Christians in Western nations who would like to force their religious values on others, but these people are obviously in the minority or else there would be no need to sublimate their beliefs, assuming they are doing so in the first place.

But beyond that: How did Christianity attain this relative peace? I've always made the joke that they found something more important to them than God. Well, not always. But, as Roger Waters sang: By the Grace of God almighty and the pressures of the marketplace the human race has civilized itself.

Western man attained this relative peace by recognizing that religion (and anti-religion) and politics don't mix.

Well, to call Islam a defective society pretty much sums it up. He did not call it wounded. He called it defective.

It is defective. Any society based strictly on religious law will be defective.

The simplest explanation Locke can invent is the only one he's interested in. At no point does he explore his thesis in any positive sense, but works hard to drive home the inherent defectiveness of Islam that is apparently unique in the world or considerably more troublesome. And yet Locke does little to establish one way or another: he acknowledges some difficulties of Christianity, but only to beat his chest in comparison, and to make assertions about the flexibility of Christianity and the rigidity of Islam without ever considering the conditions surrounding the growth of each.

Both Christianity and Islam have faced adversity.

Early Christians spent their spare time being thrown to the lions by pagan Romans and later had their lands invaded by imperialist Muslims.

Muslims, as you pointed out, had their nations used as political pawns during the Cold War.

Christianity has since recovered to become a basically harmless belief system, and someday Islam may do the same. People like to excuse the more unpleasant aspects of Islam by pointing out the 600 year age gap between the two, but we must also consider the circumstances of the rest of the world. At its 1400th birthday, Christianity was just one form of dictatorship in a world where virtually every society was a dictatorship of some sort, whereas today there are plenty of relatively free societies to which Islamic nations could compare themselves and serve as models for reform.

And I'm sure there's a larger point to that? Or should I do your part for you?

The larger point is the one you seem to dislike - that the problems caused by governing a society by a 1400 year old book are not caused by something that happened 50 years ago.

I'm borrowing a card from Locke's deck: it's the simplest explanation. Every way I read the article, I run into the same dead-ends: his disregard for history is atrocious; his political bias, while it is his right, contributes nothing toward resolving the problem he pretends to address.

I think the lack of historical discussion in the article is due to the fact that history is not the primary cause of the problems. If Islamic law justifies Abdul killing Habib, it doesn't have anything to do with Jews having their own nation or the Soviets invading Afghanistan.

If that's the way you really see it, at least you're willing to admit it.

If you disagree, by all means make your case.

And that has what to do with what?

You seemed to be arguing that loony Khomeni's rise to power was due to the rule of the loony Shah. My point was that you can oppose one loony guy without supporting another loony guy on the opposite end of the loon-spectrum.

What's more important to you? Your hostility or the condition of your fellow human being?

Individual rights are most important to me. Theocracies of any sort are a threat to individual rights.

But it's your point, Galt, that was useless. I've already addressed the stupidity of Locke's approach to the point. Did you really think you could simply resurrect the basic presumption like that?

The point wasn't stupid at all. It was quite true, in fact. The point of the article was to criticize the failures of fundamentalist Islam as a religion and culture. The fact that very few non-Muslims have any reverence for Islamic culture backs up his claims.

The price of tea in China? (I'm sure you think you're posting good argumentative points, but I'm not sure what argument you think you're having.

Read your own statement that I was responding to with this comment.

So we should blame the pawns of the Cold War for not being the USA or the USSR?

I wasn't blaming pawns of the Cold War for anything. I was explaining why the pawns tended to be pawns.

And it's unlikely that any of this would have happened had the Soviets not invaded Afghanistan.

Actually, the one that is a more pressing concern to me is the grudge that is fifty years old. That's actually the one that counts right about now.

You are missing the point. The problem with Islamic societies is that every grudge seems to count; from what the Americans did last week to what the Israelis did 55 years ago to what the Christians did 1000 years ago.

Given your disrespect for history, I'm wondering if this kind of empty crap is all you have left.

This comment has nothing to do with disrespect for history and everything to do with critiqueing a religion that holds grudges for a millennia.

The dynamic between Christians and Muslims over the last millennium is rather difficult, but I noticed you did ignore the part about the Intifada.

If I thought the last fifty years of conflict between Israel and its neighbors had any effect on a book written 1400 years ago, I would have mentioned it.

I'm sure you think there's a point to that.

Yep. It's that same old point you refuse to acknowledge: Things that happened two weeks or 100 years ago aren't responsible for the oppressive nature of theocracies based on a 1400 year old book.

There are two things to consider in my response to that:

(1) Not if it's a well-constructed, defensible thesis founded in as objective a treatment of history as one can manage according to the available resources.
(2) And if this is insufficient, what does that say about the audience?

And I'll leave it at that because further historical considerations would, based on your behavior so far, only serve to confuse you.

I am not confused by historical considerations. I just don't agree that historical considerations are causing the problems found in societies using the Koran as law.

Do you have anything better to do for your defense than feeble counteraccusations? How long would you like this post to be?

There was no counter-accusation. A counter-accusation is when you respond to an accusation by making one of your own. This is not what I did. I denied two accusation one sentence.

If your affirmation had any respect for a reasonably objective consideration, I wouldn't worry about the possibility of ethnocentrism. But I'm quite tired of making excuses in my mind for your hatred of Islam.

I don't hate Islam itself. I do hate the idea of using strict interpretations of Islam or any other religion as the basis of a society.

Again, I'm sure you think this has a point. What it is, however, is a mystery to me.

The point had something to do with people using historical grievances to justify current atrocities. But that argument falls into the realm of holding people responsible for what they do, and apparently is unwelcome in this discussion.

No, the question was whether Islam was defective.

No, the question was whether using fundamentalist Islam as the basis for society results in a defective society.

Locke did not say "wounded".

Locke said "defective".

He did, and rightly so. But he didn't say that predominantly Muslims societies will be defective for all eternity.

Re: Jeremy

Seriously, why is it that the stupid jackass with absolutely nothing of value to offer anyone always hops on the bandwagon for the bigoted thug?

Seriously, why is it that leftists start screaming about racism whenever anyone disagrees with them?

I mean, it's not like Galt couldn't stand to remove a portion of his brain by force.

I'd still be winning the debate. :D

Galt:

I think Tiassa is a perfect example of what is wrong with Islam, and all religions. Their way is the ONLY way. And death to all those who do not agree.

My apologies for scoring you so low Galt, I was trying to be kind to her. I was hoping she would see the error of her ways, and cool her jets. Waste of time. I assume it is a she as only a bad case of PMS could cause such rage.

Peace.

Originally posted by Jeremy
I think Tiassa is a perfect example of what is wrong with Islam, and all religions. Their way is the ONLY way. And death to all those who do not agree.

I have to be fair to Tiassa, here. I don't know what religion Tiassa practices, if any at all, but nobody was trying to force religion on anyone else. Tiassa's complaint was about an article perceived to be biased against Islamic societies, and neither one of us advocated killing people who disagree.

My apologies for scoring you so low Galt, I was trying to be kind to her. I was hoping she would see the error of her ways, and cool her jets. Waste of time. I assume it is a she as only a bad case of PMS could cause such rage.

I could be wrong, but I thought Tiassa was a man.

Peace.

Through superior firepower. :cool:

Galt

I don't think the average Christian Westerner is suppressing theocratical inclinations, but even if they were it would kind of prove my point anyway.

If the theocratical tendencies of Western Christians were sublimated it would mean that they [the Christians] recognize that such oppressive beliefs are no longer socially acceptable; an attitude greatly lacking in the average Islamic society.
Are you familiar with the phrase "appearance of conflict"?

The simple fact is that people don't want to be viewed as theocratic or fascist or anything like that; they just want to be theocratic and fascist and so on.

I won't go so far as to call them liars; merely blind.
Do I think that the authors of indecent exposure laws had something Biblical on their minds at the time? Quite possibly.

Do I think that if all American Christians vanished into thin air it would suddenly become legal to run around butt naked in public? No, I don't.
But the basic reasons might have some logical foundation if they're not rooted solely in presumption. If no logical foundation can be established, then it's a pretty stupid law. In the religious sense, I just think it's hilarious how redemptive religions in general seem to think that the state in which God delivers you to the world is somehow unsatisfactory to Him. That seems to be an issue for another day.
And the point of invoking Saudi Arabia and China was to point out that laws against public nudity aren't exclusive to Christianity or predominantly Christian nations.
The Chinese reasons for not running around naked probably have nothing to do with the Christian notion of Original Sin.

Is result the only thing that matters to you? Or does method and reason (e.g. justification) have anything to do with it?
I'm not making excuses for it. I'm pointing out a fact. Christian ethics are the moral basis for most Western nations (but less so now than in the past), just as Islamic ethics are the moral basis for most predominantly Muslim nations.
Exactly. And Islam can undergo the same process. It's hard to qualify the rigidity of Islamic doctrine as wholly fixed; the historical basis for the assertion just isn't there.

In the post-Christian West, money became more important than God. In the modern era, most of the Islamic world has not had the opportunity to undergo that social process. This is why consideration of Muslims in other countries becomes important: given security and economic opportunity, Muslims prefer peaceful attainment of their goals.
Why should he? It was an article about Islamic society.
Well, if one is going to use something for a comparison, why skip the basis for comparison?
If I wrote an article about mechanical problems frequently found in a specific brand of automobile, should I have to mention the problems of every brand of car?
No. But if you're going to tell why one is superior to another, there ought to be a reason. And if that reason is just making excuses because you like Porsche better than Volvo ... well, that's all it is.
There are of course many Christians in Western nations who would like to force their religious values on others, but these people are obviously in the minority or else there would be no need to sublimate their beliefs, assuming they are doing so in the first place.
You overlook something vital about redemptive religions: even while the believers are not answering to you or I, they are answering to their conception of God. The number of conflicts that arise between principle and conduct can easily result in sublimation of the problematic aspects. It's a balance of the need to devote oneself to God and the need to be oneself. It is, in fact, a huge clusterdiddle that doesn't promise any resolution in the near future.
Western man attained this relative peace by recognizing that religion (and anti-religion) and politics don't mix.
Recognizing on paper.

"In God we Trust", Galt. "In God we Trust."

Remember, God is on our side, and the government ought to be able to force people to acknowledge God. (Polls suggest that despite the US Constitution, as many as 90% of Americans objected to the court decision against the Pledge of Allegiance.)

The theocracy is still alive.
It is defective. Any society based strictly on religious law will be defective.
Until humans become perfect, any society period will be defective.

It's kind of like poking the baby and then complaining when she cries.
Early Christians spent their spare time being thrown to the lions by pagan Romans and later had their lands invaded by imperialist Muslims.
What a noble summary. It only leaves out several centuries, as well as the fact that many of the Christian martyrs actually looked forward to their date with the lions. (e.g. Ignatius of Antioch, Origen).
Muslims, as you pointed out, had their nations used as political pawns during the Cold War.
This as well as other issues of political and socioeconomic decline contribute to the problems of Islam. While aspects of Islam itself may complicate certain issues, the fault is no more inherently Islam itself than American belligerence is Christianity itself.
People like to excuse the more unpleasant aspects of Islam by pointing out the 600 year age gap between the two, but we must also consider the circumstances of the rest of the world. At its 1400th birthday, Christianity was just one form of dictatorship in a world where virtually every society was a dictatorship of some sort, whereas today there are plenty of relatively free societies to which Islamic nations could compare themselves and serve as models for reform.
You have a point so long as we reserve Islam to a vacuum. The modernity which has brought the peace we enjoy in much of the West has been largely at the expense of other people. Had Islam maintained its empire, we likely would have seen a similar progression. The loss of the empire tells us one thing, though: Westerners are better at war than Muslim Arabs.
The larger point is the one you seem to dislike - that the problems caused by governing a society by a 1400 year old book are not caused by something that happened 50 years ago.
I'll even do you the courtesy of correcting your mistaken notion: Your presumption that the problems caused by governing a society by a 1400 year old book does not have as solid a basis as you would like to think. Your inability to consider the relationship of what happened fifty years ago and its historical significance compared to the decades, generations, or centuries preceding lies at the heart of the failure of your larger point.
I think the lack of historical discussion in the article is due to the fact that history is not the primary cause of the problems.
Various laws from various cultures permit various killings of various people.

If the conditions of living include a lack of educational infrastructure, dubious interpretations of religious dogma occur; this is observable in history, which is conveniently irrelevant to someone like you who would like to take an immediate situation and apply it to the whole of history.
If you disagree, by all means make your case.
It's kind of hard to do so when you, Galt, are only devoting enough time to this topic to continue to make presumptuous and bigoted affirmations. If I had some sign that you were giving greater thought to this discussion, I would have no problem whatsoever restating the whole of this topic for you. However, you refused to give it proper consideration the first time, I see no indication that a second time will bring any better result.

Shall we review? (I can no longer tell if you're genuinely confused or just being a prig.)

- G: There are plenty of reasons to dislike Islamic countries, the least of which having nothing to do with race. Almost all are lacking in respect for basic individual rights. Many sponsor terrorism. A few even allow the enslavement of non-Muslims.
- T: There are plenty of reasons to dislike anybody. In the meantime, what are the reasons for those reasons?
- G: Islam, Islam and a combination of Islam and the willingness to ignore the rights of others to make some quick money.
- T: If that's the way you really see it, at least you're willing to admit it.
- G: If you disagree, by all means make your case.

In case you hadn't noticed, I've been making that case all along. Oh, wait, that's right. You're just going to hold a pretext you don't understand and denounce the significance of history. Like I said, Galt, it's hard to make that case to you when you only devote enough time to the issues to be a presumptuous bigot capable of offering only three sentences at a time, tops. I cannot communicate with you so long as you continue to refuse.

I take it back: one of your response sections has five sentences in it.
You seemed to be arguing that loony Khomeni's rise to power was due to the rule of the loony Shah.
Your lack of appreciation for both history and the human beings who lived it is rather vicious.
My point was that you can oppose one loony guy without supporting another loony guy on the opposite end of the loon-spectrum.
True enough, but that seems beside the point. In the applicable case at hand, the people ditched a US-supported nut in favor of a theocratic nut who promised to free them from the yoke of the US and its nuts.
Individual rights are most important to me. Theocracies of any sort are a threat to individual rights.

Actually, that's wrong.

It was a very silly attempt.
The point wasn't stupid at all. It was quite true, in fact. The point of the article was to criticize the failures of fundamentalist Islam as a religion and culture. The fact that very few non-Muslims have any reverence for Islamic culture backs up his claims.
In the end, I suppose that you or Mr. Locke are welcome to answer the question: Why is Islam the fastest-growing religion in the worldhttp://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Park/6443/Fastest/?
Read your own statement that I was responding to with this comment.
Well, you still have an obligation to establish how your statement connects to mine if you would like me to consider it.
I wasn't blaming pawns of the Cold War for anything. I was explaining why the pawns tended to be pawns.
Review time again:

- T: Even if we move past the oil generalization, there's no pretending that the less-developed and undeveloped world weren't playgrounds for cruel Cold War ambitions.
- G: Sure they were. The main reason being the relative instability of these nations. When you have a new president every week, sooner or later outsiders will start taking an interest in who rises to power.
- T: So we should blame the pawns of the Cold War for not being the USA or the USSR?
- G: I wasn't blaming pawns of the Cold War for anything. I was explaining why the pawns tended to be pawns.

Was it just inconvenient to you to actually make the case of your latest justification? Because as you explain it, it would seem that the reason the Cold War governments took interest in these nations as pawns was because of their instability. Yet much of the instability of the pawns which affects us today descends directly from the Cold War. So it would seem that the instability of the pawns which affects us today, which existed during the cold war, and comes from the major players in the Cold War comes about because the pawn governments were unstable. And I know that doesn't make sense, but neither do you.

Let me try one more time to get this straight: Chaos caused by the Cold War only came about because the conditions (e.g. instability) resulting from the Cold War made the pawns attractive to the major players?

Talk about defective: There are some people suffering. Let's agitate the suffering for our own benefit. Hey, why do they hate us?
And it's unlikely that any of this would have happened had the Soviets not invaded Afghanistan.
Well, imagine being the Soviets. What do you do when your enemy sends a covert mission to unseat a friendly government next door? It still stuns me that Carter pulled that stunt, but hey ... nobody ever said the Peanut Farmer was perfect.
You are missing the point. The problem with Islamic societies is that every grudge seems to count; from what the Americans did last week to what the Israelis did 55 years ago to what the Christians did 1000 years ago.
That is, I admit, a problem. Aldous Huxley, back around 1925, wrote that successful peoples have no use for history. He considered a symptomatic apathy toward history shown at the time by his fellow Englishmen, and compared that to the clinging to history and legends undertaken by the Irish. He pointed to Kosovo, and other downtrodden places where history and myth have been magnified as a bulwark against the misery of daily existence.

Left to go through a proper social evolution, Islam will develop to a point where Muslims have other things on their minds. But allowing people to figure out such mysteries on their own has always been as unacceptable to the West as it was to the Commies, or has been to Muslims in theocracies.
This comment has nothing to do with disrespect for history and everything to do with critiqueing a religion that holds grudges for a millennia.
You invoke history to make criticisms, you despise history that counterpoints your argument. I'm actually quite amused by the way you refute the notion of your disrespect for history by being disrespectful to history.
If I thought the last fifty years of conflict between Israel and its neighbors had any effect on a book written 1400 years ago, I would have mentioned it.
If you've given such an issue any serious consideration, you haven't shown it.
Yep. It's that same old point you refuse to acknowledge: Things that happened two weeks or 100 years ago aren't responsible for the oppressive nature of theocracies based on a 1400 year old book.
When I was a kid, I was taught that Christian compassion involved being kind to people and helping them out--e.g. charity. As I grew up, there occurred a trend around me that puzzled me: the clear majority of people I knew who called themselves Christian had begun to interpret compassion and charity differently. Helping a person in tough straits was a disservice to them, an unkindness. Charity was an injustice against the giver and the receiver. This seemingly religious interpretation of an idea was profoundly affected by the economic demands of the 1980s. Factors in history that are not specifically the religious idea affected the manifestation of that religious idea in the world. Anti-abortion? There's an old phrase: "Taking the trade". It goes back to Puritan America, at least. Lysander Spooner notes that Christian-derived sentiment in the 19th century made it illegal to drink spirits on moral grounds, yet prescribed that 10 years old was the age of consent for a girl to lose her virtue, and that you could cajole her consent with gifts and money. Ten year-old hookers? I'll bet they had some good herbal mixes for abortions ....

And can either of these ideas be ascribed to the whole of Christianity for all time?

How about the old sentiment that it was un-Christian to teach an African slave to read?

Are these symptomatic exclusively of the religion, or do other factors warrant consideration?
I am not confused by historical considerations. I just don't agree that historical considerations are causing the problems found in societies using the Koran as law.
So you insist. Yet you don't do a good job of establishing your point. You just repeat it as if it's self-evident; it seems as if you hope I'll just fall over of a stroke and accept your assertion without question. I would have to suffer brain damage, though, in order for your arguments to make any real sense.
There was no counter-accusation. A counter-accusation is when you respond to an accusation by making one of your own. This is not what I did. I denied two accusation one sentence.
You're right, I shouldn't speak so generally. It seems to confuse you. You have my apologies. Given that your denial was empty and worth absolutely zero, I was referring more to your tendency to respond to issues with simple counter-accusations. You know, like when you wrote: As opposed to the Muslims who are still having a hissy fit over the Crusades, which happened nearly 1000 years ago. Why does a four hundred year grudge warrant condemnation but a 900 year old one doesn't?

It was a fine point for a different argument. You don't seem to want to look at any other factors. Your modus operandi is to counterpoint explorations of the reasons for Islamic dysfunction by reaffirming that Islam is defective.
I don't hate Islam itself. I do hate the idea of using strict interpretations of Islam or any other religion as the basis of a society.
And yet you seem to think that there's no other way to approach Islam. Of course, if you gave a rat's behind about the history of Islam, you would understand what's wrong with your narrow approach. Not everything is as simple as you would like to imagine.
The point had something to do with people using historical grievances to justify current atrocities. But that argument falls into the realm of holding people responsible for what they do, and apparently is unwelcome in this discussion.
You're quite set on making the point about historical grievances. Why are you so determined to refuse consideration to the factors resulting from history that compel people to make grievances? I mean, you're welcome to your opinion, I won't deny that on any level. But if you think you can just go forward with silly affirmations (an example is coming), it would be unreasonable of you to expect me or anyone else to respect your opinion as educated, well-considered, or useful.
No, the question was whether using fundamentalist Islam as the basis for society results in a defective society.
I did not see Locke limit himself to fundamentalism. He tried to take the fundamentalist issues of the present and apply them to the whole of history, but Locke did not limit his criticisms to fundamentalism, and I think it is quite dishonest of you to attempt to distort the issue at this late stage.

Then again, what do I expect?
He did, and rightly so.
Like I said, silly affirmations.

One of these days, you ought to attempt to support one or another of them.
But he didn't say that predominantly Muslims societies will be defective for all eternity.
He was, in fact, very careful about that. But he said the problem was that Islam was defective. He did not say that the problem was a contemporary interpretation of Islam. He said the problem was Islam itself.
Seriously, why is it that leftists start screaming about racism whenever anyone disagrees with them?
Well, like I said ... I'm running out of excuses to make for you.

And besides: Bigot: One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

And . . . .

A person who regards his own faith and views in matters of religion as unquestionably right, and any belief or opinion opposed to or differing from them as unreasonable or wicked. In an extended sense, a person who is intolerant of opinions which conflict with his own, as in politics or morals; one obstinately and blindly devoted to his own church, party, belief, or opinion.

And yes, you're welcome to ask the obvious question. But if you don't already know the answer, it's best if you leave it alone and just cope.
I'd still be winning the debate.
By what standard? If it's anything like your standards regarding history, that's one dubious victory you're chasing.

Jeremy: Here's a quarter. Go buy yourself a point.

Jeremy
How would I be an example of Islam?
I should have expected as much.

You didn't propose any error of ways. You just opened your mouth when it would have served you to think again before doing so.

In the meantime, I do hope I made my point that pointless posts are, truly, pointless.

If you have nothing to contribute to the actual topic, please stop mucking it up.

But tell me, Jeremy ... by your scoring system, are there negative points? Hope not, because you just dropped . . . four or five. Not often can so few words as you wrote make such a fool of a person as you've made of yourself.

Now, please contribute to the topic or just sit back and watch.

Tiassa

Apologies for the late reply... been busy.

Locke simply presumes that the socio-economic decline of the Islamic world is the
result of Islam; it never seems to occur to him that the apparent decline of Islam is the
result of sinking socio-economic conditions.

Partially Agreed. My interpretation of Locke's article is that the culture/beliefs of
Islam gave them a quick socio-economic advance only to be confronted by an impenatrable
wall of inflexability that everone else permeated over time. This of course results in a
perpetually enlraging rift betwen Islam and the rest of the world. The rift itself acts
as a catylist to the current socio-economic decline.

How did violent, drug-running gangs come to seem an attractive idea to some? The
relationship between condition and perspective in a human being is almost entirely
inseparable.

My hypothesis is that the socio-economic decline was so intense that suddenly people
found themselves returning to their basic human behaviors. Violence, lots of cash
from drugs, etc. can make a human being happy (so long as they are on they are on
the dominant side of the spectrum).

Or perhaps the dictatorial states? Why would the people of Iran choose Khomeni?
(I'm curious as to your opinion.)

Once again I tend to view this as a result of people returning to their basic human
behaviors. Khomeni basically says have sex with children and animals (amongs many other
things), and to a male controlled population running off of basic human behaviors in
decreasing socio-economic conditions, this is like candy. Oddly enough I am reminded
of the Church of Satan for some reason...

And why now are many of them prepared to move "forward" (in my opinion as well as
many others) toward a more democratic existence?

Fear? Attraction to power?

Islam, in my belief, is subject to any number of limitations arising from a
redemption scheme. But the serious problems leading to dysfunction are human-level issues:
economy, security, education; adaptation to conditions.

Adaptation... you hit that on the nose.

there are Muslims resisting the abuses, are they suddenly "not Muslims"?

They become a 'minority'.

tiassa

i'm sorry if this has already been asked.. i didn't read the whole thread.

tiassa - if you had a choice, which country in the entire middle east would you choose to live in? (with the addition of pakistan and turkey, and......say..... Italy to the list)

Human-level issues

My interpretation of Locke's article is that the culture/beliefs of
Islam gave them a quick socio-economic advance only to be confronted by an impenatrable wall of inflexability that everone else permeated over time.
But time isn't finished. Furthermore, I would go so far as to assert that the events filling the passing of time present different conditions and challenges to the Islamic world than the Christian.
My hypothesis is that the socio-economic decline was so intense that suddenly people found themselves returning to their basic human behaviors. Violence, lots of cash from drugs, etc. can make a human being happy (so long as they are on they are on the dominant side of the spectrum).
I don't know why I think it's relevant, but I do know that someone ran an experiment in which they housed five macacques in tight quarters. Two became dominant and shared power; three became submissive. The macacques were fed human-like diets, about one-third complex carbohydrates or some-such. The health of the dominant macacques declined faster than the submissive.

However, the momentary illusion of happiness ... I actually agree with you there. But doesn't that point to a human problem and not an Islam-specific problem?
Once again I tend to view this as a result of people returning to their basic human
behaviors. Khomeni basically says have sex with children and animals (amongs many other things), and to a male controlled population running off of basic human behaviors in decreasing socio-economic conditions, this is like candy. Oddly enough I am reminded of the Church of Satan for some reason...
Actually it was because he was a better deal than the American-sponsored Shah. Any port in a storm, perhaps. Also a human issue.
Fear? Attraction to power?
The same reasons as anyone else, then?
Adaptation... you hit that on the nose.
Indeed?
They become a 'minority'.
True, but ineffective as an argumentative point this time out.

Has it occurred to you that Islam is no more defective than anything else? That's something Locke overlooks in order to foster a pretense that the situation is irreparable. That's the reason the article strikes me as ethnocentric. It's that Locke is merely playing an "Us vs. Them" game of favorites. It's not as if he's actually trying to inform on any serious level.

Back