Is 'Western Islam' a Separate Religion?

Adstar said:
People who are accepting of everything stand for nothing and are like salt that has lost it's flavour. It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
I certainly don't accept everything. I'm no relativist. I know exactly what I stand for - convenient labels just isn't part of it.

Jesus said:

John 14
6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
That He did, which is why we believe "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

But you're not talking about God, you're talking about religion. Jesus made that distinction crystal clear to the Pharisees (see Matt. 23:13). Very few people come to the Father through religion.

Followers of the Messiah Jesus believe what Jesus said jenyar. Who do you believe? The catholic church? That ecumenical harlot who gets into bed with anyone and everyone? You want to make a whore of yourself with islam?
If people are going to come out of Islam or Christianity to follow Jesus it's not going to be because you threatened them with hellfire or villainized them (as you've also done with me). I've told you time and again that I'm an average mainstream Protestant with no bones to pick with anybody's beliefs. There are loving people with integrity and a genuine thirst for truth everywhere. And I consequently believe God can and does address people anywhere, otherwise being "salt" would mean nothing whatsoever. Jesus never preached to the choir.

You believe in ecumenism, too. Your oikos just seems a little superficial. There's place for you in God's kingdom, but there seems to be little place for the rest of God's kingdom in you.

Last edited:
Jenyar said:
In the end we will all be judged for what we approve.

What remains of Hitler and Pope John Paul II (?) is nothing more than dust. I don't see why people find it so horrible that nobody will be punished for their actions in this life... since I know there is no fear of punishment after death, and you don't see me going around acting like Hitler :)

KennyJC said:
What remains of Hitler and Pope John Paul II (?) is nothing more than dust. I don't see why people find it so horrible that nobody will be punished for their actions in this life... since I know there is no fear of punishment after death, and you don't see me going around acting like Hitler :)
That's wonderful! Unfortunately the problem in the world is those who do go around acting like Hitler as if there are no consequences beyond death itself. We read about the big Hitlers of the world, but the little ones go mostly unnoticed except by those who suffer under them (and if you think suffering is horrible, think how much worse suffering is without hope). That's when people take justice in their own hands. Many match (and I have heard examples where they have exceeded) Hitler's cruelty on a small scale, and feel perfectly justified for it. Some people can't imagine doing that kind of damage to the world, but they don't have the same compunctions about inflicting it on their neighbour.

perplexity said:
And wouldn't it be nice and easy if they'd take me simply for what I claim to be, wysiwyg?

It really is hard to keep track sometimes of the number of different versions of who they think I am and why and what for.
People are afraid to trust, and you can't blame them. The world teaches that lesson to everyone. If you distrust people by default, your chances of being done in are minimal, and it automatically puts you ahead of all the suckers in the world. So distrust makes people feel safe and enlightened at the same time, which is understandably addictive. And it's also a good excuse not to be honest, if you have something to hide. But there is a price to pay in relationships and truth and reality.

Sadly this thread seems to have gone the way of most threads, and has become an anti-theist vs. different christian and islamic views. The original discussion for debate was the difference in Islam in the west and Islam in 'Islamic. countries. They are very different in both view and actions (except when the latter overspills into examples like 7/7/2005 in London). These are not minor differences of liturgy or intepretation of internal beliefs (like many other organised religions) they are fundamental issues of freedom, persecution and co-existence. So The question remains, 'Which is the correct Islam? Would a US or UK muslim prefer to live in an 'Islamic' country or where they live now? How can the opposing views of life, society (and actions) be reconciled into one faith?

I really would like to know the answers and I am sorry atheists but you are not knowledgeable enough on the subject to be able to reply. Can the muslims please tell me?

regards,

Gordon.

Jenyar said:
People are afraid to trust, and you can't blame them.

Yes you can.

I scarcely trust anybody in terms of doubt and security, not even myself, and it is reasonable then to be alert, open to alternative understandings. Nevertheless I find it is usually possible to proceed on the basis that what is said is what is meant, until such a time at least that the conduct fails to match with a previously stated belief or intention and then perhaps there is a case to call.

It is quite another matter to say "I don't believe you are that; I believe you are really this" in order to maintain a pet preconception, or to pursue a preconceived agenda, for want of respect or good will. That is harmful.

--- Ron.

Jenyar said:
I certainly don't accept everything. I'm no relativist. I know exactly what I stand for - convenient labels just isn't part of it.

I know what you stand for, compromise, mixing darkness with light. This is your deluded way of loving others. your kind of love leads to death.

That He did, which is why we believe "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

Then stop standing in my way and trying to undermine me by painting me as a hate monger when i stand up for this truth.

But you're not talking about God, you're talking about religion. Jesus made that distinction crystal clear to the Pharisees (see Matt. 23:13). Very few people come to the Father through religion.

People come to Jesus through the action of His Word and the conviction of the Holy Spirit. You are the one who preaches that all religions are cool, i reject religions and attack them.

If people are going to come out of Islam or Christianity to follow Jesus it's not going to be because you threatened them with hellfire or villainized them (as you've also done with me).

Fear of God is a ligitimate tool to be used for conviction. People must know there is a terrable price for rejecting the Love of God. And i will warn them about it. Irrespective of how you twist my efforts by deceptive lies.

I've told you time and again that I'm an average mainstream Protestant with no bones to pick with anybody's beliefs.

Of cource you have no boans to pick with anybody's beliefs thats why you accept anything and stand for nothing. You are so intent in your desire not to cause anyone discomfort that you end up being nothing.

There are loving people with integrity and a genuine thirst for truth everywhere. And I consequently believe God can and does address people anywhere, otherwise being "salt" would mean nothing whatsoever. Jesus never preached to the choir.

And i do not preach to the choir. You are not a memeber of the chior janyar your a member of the Harlot babylon just because your a member of one of her daughters in spirit does not make you different to her. I have been reading your posts here for a while and it is clear your a catholic in spirit you accept catholic dogma to be truth.

You believe in ecumenism, too. Your oikos just seems a little superficial. There's place for you in God's kingdom, but there seems to be little place for the rest of God's kingdom in you.

No i do not believe in ecumenism at all. ecumenism is mixing the truth with lies to justify false religion. Unity in the faith has always been true Christians have always been united in the Holy Spirit, The world wide ecumenical movement is about uniting false religions preparing the way of the coming of the anti-christ to lead this false religion to decieve the world.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Gordon said:
Sadly this thread seems to have gone the way of most threads, and has become an anti-theist vs. different christian and islamic views. The original discussion for debate was the difference in Islam in the west and Islam in 'Islamic. countries. They are very different in both view and actions (except when the latter overspills into examples like 7/7/2005 in London). These are not minor differences of liturgy or intepretation of internal beliefs (like many other organised religions) they are fundamental issues of freedom, persecution and co-existence. So The question remains, 'Which is the correct Islam? Would a US or UK muslim prefer to live in an 'Islamic' country or where they live now? How can the opposing views of life, society (and actions) be reconciled into one faith?

I really would like to know the answers and I am sorry atheists but you are not knowledgeable enough on the subject to be able to reply. Can the muslims please tell me?

regards,

Gordon.

The London bombings where not carried out by middle eastern muslims derived from refugee camps. They where carried out by English born muslims who had grown up in the western society, this proves that true islam is true islam no matter where it is. People are looking for comfort in seeking to separate islam in the west from islam in other parts of the world. Your desire for a sense of security in this world is understandable but it is a delusion.

Wherever a islamic community exists there will always be a percentage of muslims who will take the Qurans call for waging violent jihad against the non-believers seriously and they will act upon the call of muhammed to bring terror to the unbelievers. That’s a fact of life. Accept it and be prepared for death.

Gordon said:
Sadly this thread seems to have gone the way of most threads, and has become an anti-theist vs. different christian and islamic views. The original discussion for debate was the difference in Islam in the west and Islam in 'Islamic. countries. They are very different in both view and actions (except when the latter overspills into examples like 7/7/2005 in London).

I think it's better to differentiate muslims (people choose Islam as religion), instead of Islam (the religion); in the west and in most Islamic countries (or better to say "country whose citizens mostly muslims"). I live in a country not following Islamic law, but most people are muslims.

These are not minor differences of liturgy or intepretation of internal beliefs (like many other organised religions) they are fundamental issues of freedom, persecution and co-existence. So The question remains, 'Which is the correct Islam?

Islam follow 4 sources of law in sequence : (1) Qur'an (has the last say over any matters); (2) hadits (sometimes could not be too reliable; still requires some cross reference when some contradictions appear); (3) Ijma' (agreed upon islamic scholars on issues which don't have decisive treatment); (4) Qiyas (comparative to previous cases/examples).
Individually, there is still one more source called ijtihad (individual decision when no knowledge provided, when dealing with doubtful case).

Only the 1st source is commonly accepted by muslims all over the world; and yet, interpretations still required to apply it (which then could be different in different societies). The 2nd has several categories (accepted, valid, weak, fake), which requires deeper understanding of thorough Islam to use them. The 3rd, often should adopt surrounding situations, and also the 4th as well.

So, applying those sources of laws, no one can say which Islam is the correct one. Only the value (aqidah) can be agreed upon, by referring to quran as the ultimate source. Other than that, interpretation varies. Then the practice (sharia) could be different.

The results (when differ each other) of applying those 4 sources, could not be used to say Islam is different in different places. In fact, the difference itself appears, because muslim follow Islamic rules; based on those 4 sources. Difference is Islamic.

Would a US or UK muslim prefer to live in an 'Islamic' country or where they live now?

I don't think western muslim will move. Islam encourages people to learn, to observe the creation of God. And west is the luxury place for that. The more muslims get educated, in science and religion as well, the more possible they may disagree upon the bombing acts.

How can the opposing views of life, society (and actions) be reconciled into one faith?

I don't quite undertand this question. But I try to explain this.
As for faith, Islam requires muslim to pursue knowledge, unveiling the creation of God, but there is limit for human to go. Human cannot go beyond what they are given, and the knowledge of God's being is not given, only the signs of It's creation. Believing in the supreme power, is supposed to alert human not to be arrogant, forgetting that human have limit. No human can have ultimate power over anything, there always be some more power can override human's capability. Then human should be merciful, and respect others. That's how faith encourages value for muslims.

Adstar said:
Then stop standing in my way and trying to undermine me by painting me as a hate monger when i stand up for this truth.
What happened to speaking the truth in love (Eph. 4:15)?
Fear of God is a ligitimate tool to be used for conviction. People must know there is a terrable price for rejecting the Love of God. And i will warn them about it. Irrespective of how you twist my efforts by deceptive lies.
I remind you that Islam also believes in hell. What makes your hell worse than theirs so that they should fear yours but not theirs? Have you considered that maybe they fear God more than you, and that empty threats actually obscure the counterbalancing message of love? Fear of God pertains to proper respect (1 Pet. 2:17), which includes conviction of guilt, but guilt and fear alone only drives people to extremes.

Of cource you have no boans to pick with anybody's beliefs thats why you accept anything and stand for nothing. You are so intent in your desire not to cause anyone discomfort that you end up being nothing.
Discomfort is meant for people who do wrong. The law is only good if one uses it properly (1 Tim. 1:8). You can point out sin anywhere, in any religion, without having to pretend you're above the law. I'm inclined to let God take care of the judging (James 4:12), and concern myself with the measure He uses (Acts 10:42-43).

I have been reading your posts here for a while and it is clear your a catholic in spirit you accept catholic dogma to be truth.
I'm actually flattered that you can't tell the difference. :)

PS. We're off topic, so please PM me if you're going to reply.

Last edited:
PS. We're off topic, so please PM me if you're going to reply

Your right i have already delt with you and catholisism before. This thread is about islam so we should direct our answers towards it and let the readers decided.

PS: the difference between the islamic hell and the Christian Lake of Fire is that muslims who fail their "god"? will be cast into hell, But as a Christian i know that i will never be thrown into the Lake of Fire because as you should no The guarantee of being a follower of the Messiah Jesus is being saved from the Lake of Fire. So islam does not remove fear of hell it uses the fear of hell to subjugate its followers and motivate them into doing evil. While "True" Christianity liberates us from fear of Hell and encourages us to love all mankind. :D

LiveInFaith said:
I think it's better to differentiate muslims (people choose Islam as religion), instead of Islam (the religion); in the west and in most Islamic countries (or better to say "country whose citizens mostly muslims"). I live in a country not following Islamic law, but most people are muslims.

Islam follow 4 sources of law in sequence : (1) Qur'an (has the last say over any matters); (2) hadits (sometimes could not be too reliable; still requires some cross reference when some contradictions appear); (3) Ijma' (agreed upon islamic scholars on issues which don't have decisive treatment); (4) Qiyas (comparative to previous cases/examples).
Individually, there is still one more source called ijtihad (individual decision when no knowledge provided, when dealing with doubtful case).

Only the 1st source is commonly accepted by muslims all over the world; and yet, interpretations still required to apply it (which then could be different in different societies). The 2nd has several categories (accepted, valid, weak, fake), which requires deeper understanding of thorough Islam to use them. The 3rd, often should adopt surrounding situations, and also the 4th as well.

So, applying those sources of laws, no one can say which Islam is the correct one. Only the value (aqidah) can be agreed upon, by referring to quran as the ultimate source. Other than that, interpretation varies. Then the practice (sharia) could be different.

The results (when differ each other) of applying those 4 sources, could not be used to say Islam is different in different places. In fact, the difference itself appears, because muslim follow Islamic rules; based on those 4 sources. Difference is Islamic.

I don't think western muslim will move. Islam encourages people to learn, to observe the creation of God. And west is the luxury place for that. The more muslims get educated, in science and religion as well, the more possible they may disagree upon the bombing acts.

I don't quite undertand this question. But I try to explain this.
As for faith, Islam requires muslim to pursue knowledge, unveiling the creation of God, but there is limit for human to go. Human cannot go beyond what they are given, and the knowledge of God's being is not given, only the signs of It's creation. Believing in the supreme power, is supposed to alert human not to be arrogant, forgetting that human have limit. No human can have ultimate power over anything, there always be some more power can override human's capability. Then human should be merciful, and respect others. That's how faith encourages value for muslims.

Thanks very much for your reply. It is interesting that you say you do not live in a country which follows Islamic Law. I am still somwehat perplexed as to how the westernised version of Islam (without the Sharia law) which you seem to prefer can possibly be reconciled with the version with it. You say that the latter will move as knowledge of science and religion increases but to an outsider the opposite seems to be occurring and those countries seem to be going backwards in regard to their cultural values.

The big question still remains unanswered for me. Does Islam stand for religious tolerance, freedom of speech, women's rights and co-existence with others (as found however imperfectly in western cultures)? If so why do countries that have 'Islamic (Sharia) law have none of these things? If this really were as simple as intepretation, then why do we not find countries with versions of Islamic Law that recognise religious tolerance, freedom of speech, women's rights and co-existence with others that seem only to be found elsewhere? Is there such a version of Islamic Law?

regards,

Gordon.

Gordon said:
Thanks very much for your reply. It is interesting that you say you do not live in a country which follows Islamic Law. I am still somwehat perplexed as to how the westernised version of Islam (without the Sharia law) which you seem to prefer can possibly be reconciled with the version with it. You say that the latter will move as knowledge of science and religion increases but to an outsider the opposite seems to be occurring and those countries seem to be going backwards in regard to their cultural values.

Sharia law, if it would be applied, should only to muslims. Sharia literally means practicing Islam; which has very risk of different interpretations. When it becomes positive law, then all citizens within its jurisdiction should properly obey, which for any regulations within sharia where non-muslims don’t understand and don’t accept, are defined as ‘intolerance’.

Personally, I don’t agree sharia law to be applied as positive law. In my country, Islamic scholars are divided into two opinions, one towards sharia law, the others not. Actually, there was compromising idea, to be put in positive law : “contry will have it’s positive law, in addition, apply sharia for muslims”. But this was not popular, and rejected.

Pro-sharia-law say, permissivity tends to open temptations which then could direct to bad actions, while non-pro-sharia-law say, external factors could be there around influencing, confidence and beliefs will prevail; under assumption that people get well educated. The non-pro request to put quality education in priority, while pro prefer prevention by avoiding / not allowing temptations.

The problem in dispute then, not everyone could resist temptations, and you know how television intrudes deeply into one’s mind, nobody can resist television influence (which sells sexuality and violence along with other programs), especially children and teens.

When sharia law becomes positive law, intolerance will rise, eventually. Reasonable then, if you choose to live by avoiding risk, you tend to be trapped in your own limited area of playing, overlooking hidden opportunities outside the box. That partially explains why they seem to be going backwards to their cultural values.

Unfortunately, speaking of law application, its not easy to be moderate. Often one should take hard choice, which when you decide to select one choice, give up other opportunities lie on the other side, cannot have everything, always there a trade-off.

There we talked at decision making level. What about the community members?

Well educated members will be able to see the situation, make their own wisdom, and not be drawn into fanatism (except those who have political agenda), while the others (unfortunately majority), will be living in their trapped world as they don’t know much anything except what they have been told. To ask the latter to stripe bomb into their chest is easy. They are potential victim of politicians.

The key for muslim society is education. That’s why, in well educated country, they seem more against bombing (87%) compared to those agree (13%).

If we hold the quote “power tends to corrupt’, one cannot expect politician to be good and sincere hearted so not manipulate (especially in the middle of fuel control game), but education can build strength in society to defend themselves from manipulation.

The big question still remains unanswered for me. Does Islam stand for religious tolerance, freedom of speech, women's rights and co-existence with others (as found however imperfectly in western cultures)?

Basically yes.
Practically, the passage above explained why. Once they put sharia law to be positive, it tends to move to the extreem point.

If so why do countries that have 'Islamic (Sharia) law have none of these things? If this really were as simple as intepretation, then why do we not find countries with versions of Islamic Law that recognise religious tolerance, freedom of speech, women's rights and co-existence with others that seem only to be found elsewhere?

They are trapped in their own choice of practising “precaution to risk”, which push them to the extreem practice of simply not allowing many things.
It is a lot more easier for individuals to run sharia law, since one can judge everything individually case by case. When it up to public, become positive law, should be able to cover different views for various cases, generalization requires hard choice.

Take for example:
If you don’t want your kids to be hit by running car on the street when they are crossing, you could teach them the safe way to do it, or if you are not sure they can do it and afraid of losing them badly, you just simply forbid them. It becomes problem when forbidding is become your family law, if it prioritizing the prevention of risk, which will trigger several consequences. The result, never will your kid be able to do it until he get grown up. This is just a simple case (which you may say that it could be written as law, with several conditions such as : should be accompanied by an adult, only in not fast car lanes, etc. But in reality, complexity is far higher than this example).

Is there such a version of Islamic Law?

Islamic Law basically is it’s 4 sources and their applications, which often require interpretations in dealing with cases.
Version appears in the practice (sharia), as the result of the way it is applied. There is no particular law called Islamic Law, but there are versions of Law of Islamic Sharia. For simplifying, people used to call it Islamic Law.

LiveInFaith said:
Sharia law, if it would be applied, should only to muslims. Sharia literally means practicing Islam; which has very risk of different interpretations. When it becomes positive law, then all citizens within its jurisdiction should properly obey, which for any regulations within sharia where non-muslims don’t understand and don’t accept, are defined as ‘intolerance’

Personally, I don’t agree sharia law to be applied as positive law. In my country, Islamic scholars are divided into two opinions, one towards sharia law, the others not. Actually, there was compromising idea, to be put in positive law : “contry will have it’s positive law, in addition, apply sharia for muslims”. But this was not popular, and rejected.

Pro-sharia-law say, permissivity tends to open temptations which then could direct to bad actions, while non-pro-sharia-law say, external factors could be there around influencing, confidence and beliefs will prevail; under assumption that people get well educated. The non-pro request to put quality education in priority, while pro prefer prevention by avoiding / not allowing temptations.

The problem in dispute then, not everyone could resist temptations, and you know how television intrudes deeply into one’s mind, nobody can resist television influence (which sells sexuality and violence along with other programs), especially children and teens.

When sharia law becomes positive law, intolerance will rise, eventually. Reasonable then, if you choose to live by avoiding risk, you tend to be trapped in your own limited area of playing, overlooking hidden opportunities outside the box. That partially explains why they seem to be going backwards to their cultural values.

Unfortunately, speaking of law application, its not easy to be moderate. Often one should take hard choice, which when you decide to select one choice, give up other opportunities lie on the other side, cannot have everything, always there a trade-off.

There we talked at decision making level. What about the community members?

Well educated members will be able to see the situation, make their own wisdom, and not be drawn into fanatism (except those who have political agenda), while the others (unfortunately majority), will be living in their trapped world as they don’t know much anything except what they have been told. To ask the latter to stripe bomb into their chest is easy. They are potential victim of politicians.

The key for muslim society is education. That’s why, in well educated country, they seem more against bombing (87%) compared to those agree (13%).

If we hold the quote “power tends to corrupt’, one cannot expect politician to be good and sincere hearted so not manipulate (especially in the middle of fuel control game), but education can build strength in society to defend themselves from manipulation.

Basically yes.
Practically, the passage above explained why. Once they put sharia law to be positive, it tends to move to the extreem point.

They are trapped in their own choice of practising “precaution to risk”, which push them to the extreem practice of simply not allowing many things.
It is a lot more easier for individuals to run sharia law, since one can judge everything individually case by case. When it up to public, become positive law, should be able to cover different views for various cases, generalization requires hard choice.

Take for example:
If you don’t want your kids to be hit by running car on the street when they are crossing, you could teach them the safe way to do it, or if you are not sure they can do it and afraid of losing them badly, you just simply forbid them. It becomes problem when forbidding is become your family law, if it prioritizing the prevention of risk, which will trigger several consequences. The result, never will your kid be able to do it until he get grown up. This is just a simple case (which you may say that it could be written as law, with several conditions such as : should be accompanied by an adult, only in not fast car lanes, etc. But in reality, complexity is far higher than this example).

Islamic Law basically is it’s 4 sources and their applications, which often require interpretations in dealing with cases.
Version appears in the practice (sharia), as the result of the way it is applied. There is no particular law called Islamic Law, but there are versions of Law of Islamic Sharia. For simplifying, people used to call it Islamic Law.

Thank you for your long and detailed reply. It has been helpful. I do not understand the concept of 'positive law' however. 'The law' (that made by the state to regulate the behaviour of its citizens) must apply to all or else it is self evidently not effective. In fact it is not 'law' by any normal definition. This therefore seems to imply that Sharia Law (which you say should only apply to muslims) could only ever be reasonably instituted in a country where every single citizen were muslim. I doubt that any such country exists, so therefore logically either Sharia Law shoud not be 'the law' or else everyone where there is Sharia Law as 'the law' must become 'muslim' or be in some way removed from the country (including removed from life itself).

Sadly the latter seems to be exactly what is happening in the countries concerned, repeating that which happened centuries earlier when Islamic armies spread across previously christian north Africa. I am aware that the history of the christian church is far from spotless and similar bad things were done in the past (as often remarked concerning 'the crusades' etc. in Islamic media).

But the christian church today recognises that these things were wrong and not in accordance with true christian beliefs and says so on many occassions. Likewise individual christians are free to comment upon the failings of their own religion (both past and present). This does not seem to happen in Islam however and there is almost no criticism of Islamic regimes from western muslim authorities. Individuals also even in the west seem very afraid to speak out and perhaps the case of Salmon Rushdie explains why.
Recent actions concerning the Danish cartoon episode (which has included 'educated' western muslims as well as those in 'Islamic' countries) also do not seem to support the ideas of tolerance and free speech. These intrinsically require that you allow people to say (and draw) things that you do not personally like and even to do things that you do not believe are right (providing they are within the law of the land), wihout fear of organised violent opposition against you.

regards,

Gordon.

Gordon said:
Thank you for your long and detailed reply. It has been helpful. I do not understand the concept of 'positive law' however. 'The law' (that made by the state to regulate the behaviour of its citizens) must apply to all or else it is self evidently not effective.

I meant that law.

In fact it is not 'law' by any normal definition. This therefore seems to imply that Sharia Law (which you say should only apply to muslims) could only ever be reasonably instituted in a country where every single citizen were muslim. I doubt that any such country exists, so therefore logically either Sharia Law shoud not be 'the law' or else everyone where there is Sharia Law as 'the law' must become 'muslim' or be in some way removed from the country (including removed from life itself).

That’s why I personally don’t agree sharia law to be ‘the law” of the land. It is too complex nowadays for anyone to push one religion practice (to become law) to people of different religion and beliefs, especially the world is kind of virtually borderless now. It can be trapped into that extreem point, which actually not Islamic. By such complexities, sometimes one cornered to execute the most possible action among many bad choices. Once in a while, one could face the choice of “eat your mom dead, not eat your daddy dead”. The more complex the problem, the more possible the situation arrive into the scene.

Sadly the latter seems to be exactly what is happening in the countries concerned, repeating that which happened centuries earlier when Islamic armies spread across previously christian north Africa.

The backround is different;
In the beginning, Islam was spread under depression of wars, with choice to spread or be attacked. They were to strengthen their power and defence.

What’s is happening now, seems to be the results of complexities in this era that could not be easily adapted by countries who run sharia as land law. Complexities runs far faster then they capability of adapting it. They have to deal with depressing internal and external matters as well.

I am aware that the history of the christian church is far from spotless and similar bad things were done in the past (as often remarked concerning 'the crusades' etc. in Islamic media).

I’m not going to comment on this.

But the christian church today recognises that these things were wrong and not in accordance with true christian beliefs and says so on many occassions. Likewise individual christians are free to comment upon the failings of their own religion (both past and present). This does not seem to happen in Islam however and there is almost no criticism of Islamic regimes from western muslim authorities. Individuals also even in the west seem very afraid to speak out and perhaps the case of Salmon Rushdie explains why.
Recent actions concerning the Danish cartoon episode (which has included 'educated' western muslims as well as those in 'Islamic' countries) also do not seem to support the ideas of tolerance and free speech. These intrinsically require that you allow people to say (and draw) things that you do not personally like and even to do things that you do not believe are right (providing they are within the law of the land), wihout fear of organised violent opposition against you.

There is difference between not like and insulted. One does things you don’t like, you may just take for granted. But one does things insulting your value, normaly you react. And your reaction can be different considering your characters, education level, and other personalities concerned. You may expect brutal reaction or elegant reaction from different people background.

Some values are considered to be universal, but different society also has their own specific value, which one should respect. Some issues may not be so matter for you, but your neighbor might be considering them so highly in respect, and sensitively could be reacting once you say or do something not suitable, without you being aware of it’s sensitivity.

Salman Rushdie and the cartoons are considered to be beyond limit for muslims. And considering their environment, the reaction happened. I don’t agree with the riots, let alone the killings, it was wrong they did it; but personally I feel the cartoons are beyond limit. That is not only about tolerance and free speech, but respecting others’ value. This is what I consider ‘you eat your mom dead, you don’t eat your daddy dead’; you react you’re pointed to be intolerance and not respecting free speech, you don’t react you are letting others violating your value before your very own eyes.

Not any image is allowed for muslim to represent God, and the same also for Muhammad. As for God it is directly against the principle of the One God not comparable nor aligned to any creation (considered to be the greatest sin ever), and as for Muhammad, still for the sake of applying the same principle of only One God, is to avoid people use his image for praying or worshipping, or even worship him; This is very sensitive. For non-muslim maybe it’s not so matter, but they should be able to respect the way muslims hold their values.

This does not seem to happen in Islam however and there is almost no criticism of Islamic regimes from western muslim authorities. Individuals also even in the west seem very afraid to speak out

I don’t know too much regarding reaction from muslims all over the world, (I cannot rely on the media in this issue) but I know reactions from muslims surrounding me, it’s not the same with what you are being informed. Still yes, part of that was right, they don’t critisize, even they say reaction is normal, and understandable, although it is not acceptable to make violent riots and killings. Understand it this way: considering the principle of One God explained above, the situation could be regarded as a declaration of war towards Islam (fight between western and middle east – which coincidentally muslims - , should not be tangented towards islam in the first place); which under threat, muslims are encouraged to defend. Who then can steer clear of this understanding towards masses on the street?

Back