Is the earth expanding?

Are you a research scientist, florian?

What is your area of expertise?

Are you "researching" the expanding earth?

Robittybob1:

Please read the Formal Debate thread I linked to above. In it I refute the notion that the earth is expanding significantly at all.
We are talking past expansion mostly. Do you call 0.25mm significant expansion? To me compared to the size of the Earth that is hardly anything.
I read through the debate but I didn't really get any good points from it. :)

@JamesR - please tell me this? Is an increase in the Earth's radius of only 0.25 mm per year a significant expansion or not?

You say the Earth is not expanding significantly. Does that 0.25 mm/annum increase challenge your view?

James thinks his computer will remain the same density forever, because he can't see it getting less dense as he observes it. He thinks the same of a rock. James assumes if he can't see it happening it doesn't happen. What makes you think James will consider things expanding appreciably over greater time periods than his current attention span?

Let's see . . . some simple math here . . . (please check for accuracy) . .

0.25 mm/yr (expansion rate)
that works out to about 820 ft per 1 my, doesn't it? (Note: I did the math/conversions roughly)

So are you pointing out that what seems to be an insignificant amount if multiplied by the aeons of time adds up to quite large quantities?

James thinks his computer will remain the same density forever, because he can't see it getting less dense as he observes it. He thinks the same of a rock. James assumes if he can't see it happening it doesn't happen. What makes you think James will consider things expanding appreciably over greater time periods than his current attention span?

I wonder what random goofy idea is going to pop into your head next and get you all giddy.

Are you a research scientist, florian?

What is your area of expertise?

Are you "researching" the expanding earth?

I'm afraid that is none of your business. All the private informations I want to share are in my profile.

I'm a PhD, I publish in peer reviewed journals (already more than 10 papers this year), I review research papers and research projects, and I'm the head of an academic research lab (3 research scientists, 2 PhD students and 2 techs).
Source

He appears to be published in Enzyme chemistry (or to have co-authored papers) - I asked him once if that was him, he didn't reply. He's appealed to his own authority on numerous occasions, but in spite of being asked directly, several times, he's never actually clarified what his PhD is actually in.

He also claimes to have an h-index of 15 (source) but has provided no means with which to independently verify that claim.

Last edited:
Source

He appears to be published in Enzyme chemistry (or to have co-authored papers) - I asked him once if that was him, he didn't reply. He's appealed to his own authority on numerous occasions, but in spite of being asked directly, several times, he's never actually clarified what his PhD is actually in.

He also claimes to have an h-index of 15 (source) but has provided no means with which to independently verify that claim.
I'm surprised that the moderators are tracking someone on the message boards. Surely he has a right to privacy.

I'm surprised that the moderators are tracking someone on the message boards. Surely he has a right to privacy.
And of course, having looked at the links I provided, you have seen that the comemnts were made by him in a conversation I was actively participating in at the time (even if they weren't specifically directed at me).

The only thing that is required here is a reasonable memory on my part, and an understanding of how to use the forum's search features. No mod powers required.

Same goes with my comments regarding what I suspect to be his field of expertise.

Start to look like a witchhunt isn't it?
Says the person who went as far as tracking down posts he believed to be made by me on other fora, and using what he believed to be my name in posts while addressing me.

And of course, having looked at the links I provided, you have seen that the comemnts were made by him in a conversation I was actively participating in at the time (even if they weren't specifically directed at me).

The only thing that is required here is a reasonable memory on my part, and an understanding of how to use the forum's search features. No mod powers required.
There are some putative informations in the post you made that were not in the links.
Unless you can prove that these informations were provided by myself in the sciforums, it is considered as a violation of privacy.
Prove us that you did not cross the line Trippy.

There are some putative informations in the post you made that were not in the links.
What information florian? The only thing I have done is ask you to clarify what field your PhD is in (in fact, I've accorded you more privacy than you have ever accorded me).

Unless you can prove that these informations were provided by myself in the sciforums, it is considered as a violation of privacy.
Prove us that you did not cross the line Trippy.
So then you admit you violated my privacy?

Last edited:
Serious questions:
Moon capture or Giant Impact?
Water always here or brought by comets?
What level of expansion is significant? E.g. is 0.25 mm/year significant?

Robittybob1:

Please read the Formal Debate thread I linked to above. In it I refute the notion that the earth is expanding significantly at all.
In the formal debate JamesR states:
http://www.sciforums.com/printthread.php?t=86898
"First, I want to define the terms of this debate, as I understand them. I assume that we are not talking about tiny, almost unmeasurable additions to the Earth's mass due to things such as meteor impacts adding small amounts of mass the Earth over time. I assume we are talking about a continual and significant increase in the Earth's overall diameter over, say, the past 3.5 billion years, over which time the Earth has perhaps doubled its diameter.

A calculation can show that meteor impacts and the like may have caused Earth's diameter to expand by perhaps 0.0042% in 4.5 billions years, and I concede this point in the debate if it is made. However, I believe that OIM arguing for a significant increase in diameter, of the order of 30-50%, and not a minuscule 0.0042%."

In my hypotheses I am talking about a continual and significant increase in the Earth's overall diameter over, say, the past 4.5 billion years, over which time the terrestrial part of the Earth has perhaps increased its diameter by about 35%.
That means we are talking of an average yearly increase of 0.5mm/year.

Recent scientific measurements showed an increase in the order of half this at the current time.

Would you go so far as to say that 500 million years ago there was no dry land and the oceans covered the entire globe?
Would this not mean that either the amount of water has decreased or there has been an expansion of the ocean floor sufficient to expose the dry land (therefore promoting the evolution of of land based plants, trees and animals).

Would you go so far as to say that 500 million years ago there was no dry land and the oceans covered the entire globe?

Very much incorrect.

http://earthsky.org/space/earth-as-seen-from-space-500-million-years-ago

PaleoEarth_500mya.jpg

Earth, southern hemisphere, 500 million years ago.

RE: wlminex Post #870:

Let's see . . . some simple math here . . . (please check for accuracy) . .

0.25 mm/yr (expansion rate)
that works out to about 820 ft per 1 my, doesn't it? (Note: I did the math/conversions roughly)

Did anyone confirm my 'math'?? Now, if expansion has gone on for 500 m.y. one would get:

(Assuming 0.25 mm/yr expansion rate)

. . . 820 ft/1 m.y. x 500 = 410,100 ft . . . seems a bit unrealistic to me . . . . my guess is that IF earth is expanding . . . the rate has varied over the earth's developmental history. My (second) guess is that the expansion rate has been greatly affected by more geologically-recent plate tectonics as a compensating (or process-balancing) mechanism.

Last edited:
Back