Is Pacifism Ethical?

Is Pacifism an ethical position?

• Total voters
Germany wanted the Ukraine's oil.

Although I suppose they could have just made trade deals for it instead...

I think it would have developed along the same lines. In fact, without Hitler, they might not have started two fronts, and they might have won.

I agree.
I think the impact and responsibility a leader is assumed to have are often overestimated.
Someone does not rise to the position of being a leader just like that; there must be a whole social system that supports and enables prospective leaders; the leader reflects the ideas of the social system.

I agree.
I think the impact and responsibility a leader is assumed to have are often overestimated.
Someone does not rise to the position of being a leader just like that; there must be a whole social system that supports and enables prospective leaders; the leader reflects the ideas of the social system.

Some things happen in the blink of an eye...relatively speaking. A leader can also change ideas and heavily influence people. Just look at cults and you will see this.

Some things happen in the blink of an eye...relatively speaking. A leader can also change ideas and heavily influence people. Just look at cults and you will see this.

This used to be the standard explanation, yes.

Newer trends in psychology suggest that people from dysfunctional families are more susceptible to cultist settings. Also, that it is impossible to be manipulated if one is compassionate.

Last edited:
What is your solution, for example for robbery?
If the robber opposes the arrest with deadly weapon.
How can you maintain a state of law, not to become anarchy?

That's a big problem with pacifism. Would a pacifist call the police? Because we all know how the police would respond to an armed criminal who resisted arrest.

Pacifism only works when everyone is doing it.

This used to be the standard explanation, yes.

Newer trends in psychology suggest that people from dysfunctional families are more susceptible to cultist settings. Also, that it is impossible to be manipulated if one is compassionate.

Sometimes but dysfunctional families also produce great children, who do great things. Here we have more of an isolation issue and there were similarities to a cult. It is amazing what people can believe. Often just a matter of time. Look at alternative lifestyles that are damaging yet the subject finds the lifestyle normal.

You get a group of people, isolate them and what becomes normal to them may be very far from normal yet to them...it is how they live. People dont realize these things about that time because they equate the world as it is now to those times. Different time-different place. For one thing access to outside sources was a profound detriment. I mean for the average person.

That's a big problem with pacifism. Would a pacifist call the police? Because we all know how the police would respond to an armed criminal who resisted arrest.

oh yeah...they would call the police. Pacifism is more of a personal stance...but yeah. they get on the horn relatively fast.

oh yeah...they would call the police. Pacifism is more of a personal stance...but yeah. they get on the horn relatively fast.

If that's the case, the Heinlein quote I posted the other day applies perfectly.

I agree.

You could be right in most cases but in Hitler's case I very much doubt it, he was the driving force and architect behind his party and he had the skill and charisma to pull it off. Germany was still feeling the humiliation of WWI and crippling reparations the allies imposed on them. Also, the unemployment rate extremely high. Once he started putting people to work, he was in the drivers seat. The allies really blew it big time when they imposed those unlivable reparations on the German population. While I'm sure bad things would have happened without Hitler, it's hard to know if it would have been WWII.

my vote is "no". for an explanation, see my rant in the "mcD's beating" thread.

Back