Is knowledge the enemy of faith? (My response)

There's really nothing to answer. Your first question is irrelevant and the answer to your second question is: Water covers 70.9% of the Earth's surface. But again, that too really has nothing to do with anything here.

Which first question?

The real quests:

So you never had faith in someone?

How much of the Earth is water?

Why is that first one irrelevant?

You said:

"If anything is the enemy of faith, it is - by its very definition - intelligence."

So then you believe that having faith in another is stupid. Why? What is so stupid about having faith in someone?

And then you give the right answer:

"Water covers 70.9% of the Earth's surface."

Only to exclaim:

"But again, that too really has nothing to do with anything here."

Well let me ask you a question:

The Earth is covered in 70+% water...

How did that water (0ver 70% of the surface) get here?

Which first question?
You quoted two questions: the first one would be the one at the top of that short list.

Why is that first one irrelevant?
Because the subject isn't faith in another person.

So then you believe that having faith in another is stupid. Why? What is so stupid about having faith in someone?
Learn how to read.

And then you give the right answer:
"Water covers 70.9% of the Earth's surface."
Only to exclaim:
"But again, that too really has nothing to do with anything here."
Well let me ask you a question:
The Earth is covered in 70+% water...
How did that water (0ver 70% of the surface) get here?
So what?
Or are you under the impression that it all came down in the (non-existent) biblical flood? That the Earth wasn't ~70% water in Biblical times?

You quoted two questions: the first one would be the one at the top of that short list.

Because the subject isn't faith in another person.

Learn how to read.

So what?
Or are you under the impression that it all came down in the (non-existent) biblical flood? That the Earth wasn't ~70% water in Biblical times?

To the one, he is asking about faith.

To the other, do you know if the Earth was over 70% covered in water during biblical times?

Also, 70% is a lot of surface area. Again:

How did the water get here?

To the one, he is asking about faith.
Yup, read it in context.

To the other, do you know if the Earth was over 70% covered in water during biblical times?
Yup.

How did the water get here?
Is it relevant?
One more time: are you claiming it was from the Biblical flood?
Are you claiming that there was significantly less water during Biblical times?
If not then start another thread since it's nothing to do with this one.

Well if MZ3boy cannot tell me where all that water (70% coverage of the surface plus the volume) came from then how the hell can he tell me there was no flood?

I can have faith in a pigeon. I let the pigeon go and he comes back. Simple fact i wait for the pigeon means i have faith. Yet according to mz3boy- "If anything is the enemy of faith, it is - by its very definition - intelligence."

Much as it may pain me to say it (I hope NMSquirrel doesn't read this!) one can have faith while still being intelligent.
too bad..so sad..:p:D
--
as far as faith vs knowledge..scientist can apply faith in their pursuit of knowledge..ie i have faith that i will find out how/why X works..how many scientist have been told that they would never find the answer to X?
how many ignored that advice and continued their search to find an answer.

faith does not preclude knowledge.
blind faith does.unwillingness to question ones own faith (why do i believe) encourages lack of knowledge.
God says 'test all things,hold on to what is good' (somewhere in proverbs i think)
this is the foundation of science,wisdom, and knowledge.(test all things)

as far as faith vs knowledge..scientist can apply faith in their pursuit of knowledge..ie i have faith that i will find out how/why X works..how many scientist have been told that they would never find the answer to X?
Nice try but...
What we're discussing here is faith vs. knowledge on the same subject.
I.e. in the case you mentioned the scientist has faith that there's an answer, the knowledge is about the subject he's studying.

I posted this on another forum but wanted to see what you guys (and gals) think.

Is knowledge the enemy of faith, as the old saying goes?

Say for example that one is taught to believe that the flood of Noah actually happened and that this belief was a part of their faith. Then all of the sudden the world's geologists all agree that there is no evidence of a literal global flood and that this biblical tale is false.

This knowledge discredits their faith in that it proves it wrong. Now, sure, you could still have faith that the worlds scientists are wrong and that it did still happen, but that is also the definition of stupidity - an intellectual incapability or an unwillingness to properly consider the relevant information.

So, with faith can come stupidity. However, one can also be stupid and knowledgable. In other words, they can be aware of and understand the truth, but just not accept it as true - hence again, the definition of stupidity.

Wow I googled Monty . Him and Dennis are good Buddy's . Play in a rock band together . I know Monty , but not Like Dennis does . I can't believe he has is own Wiki Page . My dead step mother sold him his house . Way to go Monty !! Oh Dennis is my Partner in crime .

So, upon reflection, and from analyzing the dichotomy of ignorance and stupidity in relation to faith, we are then able to understand that knowledge is in fact not the enemy of faith simply because one can choose not to have faith in that knowledge but would rather have faith in faith. Woah! Now we're getting into circular reasoning. But I won't go too much further into that.

If anything is the enemy of faith, it is - by its very definition - intelligence.

Lastly, one can also be intelligent and ignorant - ignorance meaning the simply lack of knowledge; in other words, having never been exposed to that knowledge.

So, what do you think? Agree or Disagree?

See Noah and the flood is not a good example as there is evidence of great tidal waves in history . Or great flooding . It happened during the end of the last major Glacial age. 2 lakes I know of . 1 Lake Missoula and then a even bigger event by a bigger lake even yet . 2 Lake Agassiz . They were fucking huge . Ice Dams made them bigger than life . The Ice dams broke and gigantic walls of water hit the oceans with what I got to assume had to be massive amounts of energy . I wonder what a computer simulation would look like of either of these 2 events . I bet anybody living anywhere close to the coast would have been wiped clean and became fish food . It had to make events like the Black swan look like kids playing in a shallow splash pool

1 Lake Missoula
2 Lake Agassiz

As they say if you see one rattle snake there are 5 more in the area .
I only knew of Lake Missoula ( Many cause I live at the bottom of Lake Missoula ) Then some how thinking more rattle snakes must be around the area I stumbled on to Lake Agassiz . You would think an event like this would be taught to grade schoolers as Lake Agassiz was discovered a long time ago .
How many of you out there knew about Lake Agassiz? All Missoulians know about Lake Missoula and the Great Artist Monty Dolack did paintings capturing the whimsical aspect of the event because we live here , but Lake Agassiz . Who heard of that ?

Frag <<< The splash

Edit to address the Thread. Plan for worst and hope for the best . Knowledge and faith holding hands

Last edited:
Ok... we're missing the point here. It doesn't matter what the analogy is. Let's not get into the specifics of it. You can easily replace it with the flat-Earth theory or anything else, really.

The problem with people is they have faith in church, and because the church tells them to have faith in God they have faith in God. My faith is God.

Back