Is Joe Paterno Responsible for Penn State Scandal?

Is Paterno Responsible?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
Who cares if Sandusky was fired? Paterno didn't take it seriously enough to go to the real police, that makes him responsible for everyone that got raped until now.

Who cares if Sandusky was fired? Paterno didn't take it seriously enough to go to the real police, that makes him responsible for everyone that got raped until now.

Neither did the actual witness (who is still working for the U as I understand it). Paterno went further on heresay.

I tend to think he ought to have done more...Also the actual witnesses. They could have and should have gone to the cops directly.

And no, reporting it to one's supervisors does not fulfill one's obligation to report...I don't think reporting it to campus police does either...I would think city or county police, better yet state police.

So if Sandusky left in '99...that means they were not trying to keep him as their defense coach.

I think people just have a hard time accepting someone they know and like would do something so sick. Even when they see it-as in the case of the two people who walked in on Sandusky raping a boy. The urge to deny is really powerful. So they just do not want to believe, and they don't properly report.

Irrelevant.

No, its not irrelevant, it mean it happened after he left the university, because he started the Second Mile program after retirement. I know he started the program after he left, I just forgot when he did.

stupid question but if it was a university how was he having contact with under aged children? as part of his job at the university I mean. I know that some uni students are 17 but sleeping with a 17 year old isn't child abuse, maybe illegal in the US (and if you have control over the child in Australia because the age of consent here is 16) but its still not Child abuse.

What am I missing?

No, its not irrelevant, it mean it happened after he left the university, because he started the Second Mile program after retirement. I know he started the program after he left, I just forgot when he did.
He actually started the program before he left (1977). He left the U to run Second Mile full time (as I understand it).

As soon as Sandusky abused the kids at what was their worksite, then the witnesses and everyone on staff had an obligation to call the police.
http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/domestic-relations/00.063.011.000.html
So it should have been reported to the police.

From your link:
(c) Staff members of institutions, etc.--Whenever a person
is required to report under subsection (b) in the capacity as a
member of the staff of a medical or other public or private
institution, school, facility or agency, that person shall
immediately notify the person in charge of the institution,
school, facility or agency or the designated agent of the person
in charge
. Upon notification, the person in charge or the
designated agent, if any, shall assume the responsibility and
have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made
in accordance with section 6313. This chapter does not require
more than one report from any such institution, school, facility
or agency.

This clears it up fully for me. Paterno did exactly what he was supposed to do.

Oh shit...yeah I forgot Sandusky left in 1999, it was way before I started watching football lol

He had retired but he was still allowed and given access to all the sporting facilities for his charity, where he bought young boys on the grounds for football training and also where he continued the abuse of many of those boys, even after two independent and separate reports were made to superiors (as the law states it should occur) of his sodomising and sexually molesting boys in the showers on the grounds.

I would imagine it is the law that needs to change. As the janitor who saw him raping a child was forced by law to report him to his superior who then took it to the bigger heads at the university and nothing was done about it. The same with the other witness who took it to Paterno, who then reported it to his superior. The law will probably change and any such reports will need to be reported directly to the police.

Who cares? What difference does that make?

stupid question but if it was a university how was he having contact with under aged children? as part of his job at the university I mean. I know that some uni students are 17 but sleeping with a 17 year old isn't child abuse, maybe illegal in the US (and if you have control over the child in Australia because the age of consent here is 16) but its still not Child abuse.

What am I missing?

He ran a charity that helped children get into football. So he was given full access to the university grounds to do so and he would bring these children onto the grounds for training and yes, abused them there repeatedly.

As for his retirement. I read somewhere that even though he retired from the university, he was still at some point a staff member of Paterno and was still acting as coach after his supposed retirement? I can't find the link though.

milkweed said:
Let me ask you a question. If someone comes to you and says that a member of your former staff was raping a 10 year old boy in the showers, would you take it to your superior and then forget about it and not comment or say anything when you see the guy still having access to the university grounds to bring more boys there? Or would you follow it up and demand to know why the police were not involved and why he was still given access to university grounds? Personally, I'd call the police, wouldn't you? He claims he supposedly never knew the extent of how he was acting inappropriately. I'm sorry, but a student comes to you and tells you that someone you know is acting inappropriately with a child in the showers, you wouldn't ask how?

It seems to me that it was a thing of don't ask don't tell. It's as if they all rather protect their university's reputation and so did nothing about it, it was never followed up by Paterno as to how and why the guy was still allowed full access to his football grounds, showers, gym and other sporting grounds with the young boys he took there, and it was never followed up as to why he was still allowed to keep his office at the university.

I guess Paterno and his superiors at the university were too intent on not just football, but also how if this was reported to the police that their former coach raped boys on their university grounds, it could somehow tarnish their university. So they did nothing about it and more and more boys were allowed to be raped on those grounds. The result of that is what we see now. I personally think all their heads should roll and yes, those who failed to report it to the police and those who allowed him to have full access even after witnesses came forward and stated he'd been raping children there should be charged also.

I also think that instead of making excuses for Paterno, people should consider exactly what happened and what was not done.

milkweed

So if Paterno saw his own child being raped do you think he would have followed the same chain of command or promptly called the police? :shrug:

If there was a murder that happened and Paterno saw it go down all he was to do was report it to his superiors? That just sounds like you really are misinformed or have a very biased view of criminal activity.

He ran a charity that helped children get into football. So he was given full access to the university grounds to do so and he would bring these children onto the grounds for training and yes, abused them there repeatedly.

As for his retirement. I read somewhere that even though he retired from the university, he was still at some point a staff member of Paterno and was still acting as coach after his supposed retirement? I can't find the link though.

Let me ask you a question. If someone comes to you and says that a member of your former staff was raping a 10 year old boy in the showers, would you take it to your superior and then forget about it and not comment or say anything when you see the guy still having access to the university grounds to bring more boys there? Or would you follow it up and demand to know why the police were not involved and why he was still given access to university grounds? Personally, I'd call the police, wouldn't you? He claims he supposedly never knew the extent of how he was acting inappropriately. I'm sorry, but a student comes to you and tells you that someone you know is acting inappropriately with a child in the showers, you wouldn't ask how?

It seems to me that it was a thing of don't ask don't tell. It's as if they all rather protect their university's reputation and so did nothing about it, it was never followed up by Paterno as to how and why the guy was still allowed full access to his football grounds, showers, gym and other sporting grounds with the young boys he took there, and it was never followed up as to why he was still allowed to keep his office at the university.

I guess Paterno and his superiors at the university were too intent on not just football, but also how if this was reported to the police that their former coach raped boys on their university grounds, it could somehow tarnish their university. So they did nothing about it and more and more boys were allowed to be raped on those grounds. The result of that is what we see now. I personally think all their heads should roll and yes, those who failed to report it to the police and those who allowed him to have full access even after witnesses came forward and stated he'd been raping children there should be charged also.

I also think that instead of making excuses for Paterno, people should consider exactly what happened and what was not done.

Bells you say you would call the police? then your training is WAY out of date (which is odd). If someone is in instant danger (ie they are being raped right now) then you call 000, if the report is about past, or ongoing abuse you call 13 1478 (I believe that's a national number) which is the mandatory reporting number. Calling a general patrol for this kind of issue is just a waste of time because they don't have the skills to deal with it, its a special unit in the police which works with Y&FS officers to investigate and deal with these cases.

Also I believe that hospitals have a different procedure, ie they report it internally so that all reports from different sources (various nurses and doctors who work with the patient for instance) can be collated and handed to YFS in one go. You stated before that I shouldn't judge based on Australian procedure but you are judging HIM as wrong even though he followed there correct procedure as outlined by milkweed. It sounds like its not his fault in the slightest, its a failure of his superiors.

Who cares? That has nothing to do with his alleged crimes.

What you said was

Who cares if Sandusky was fired?

He wasn't...

They rioted because PATERNO got fired.

Plus, it meant the university and Paterno liked Sandusky, and Paterno is who we're discussing

Last edited:
He had retired but he was still allowed and given access to all the sporting facilities for his charity, where he bought young boys on the grounds for football training and also where he continued the abuse of many of those boys, even after two independent and separate reports were made to superiors (as the law states it should occur) of his sodomising and sexually molesting boys in the showers on the grounds.

I would imagine it is the law that needs to change. As the janitor who saw him raping a child was forced by law to report him to his superior who then took it to the bigger heads at the university and nothing was done about it. The same with the other witness who took it to Paterno, who then reported it to his superior. The law will probably change and any such reports will need to be reported directly to the police.

Oh okay, anyways I don't think it was a janitor, I think it was a former Penn State QB that became an assistant coach.

Back