Is it possible for people to freely "behave in a Godly manner"?

wynn

˙
Valued Senior Member

Is it possible that people "behave in a Godly manner" only when they don't have free will?

Provide reasoning and/or evidence (scriptural or other) for or against.

Seems that it would be impossible to know how God behaves.
How can we know anything about a God who is un-knowable, un-fathomable and works in mysterious ways?

Is it possible that people "behave in a Godly manner" only when they don't have free will?

I really do not know why anyone would want to emulate the genocidal Bible God.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."
— Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion)

Regards
DL

If they are FREE of sin, then yes of course.

Yet the Bible shows God clearly sinning.

Did he not covet Mary? Another man's woman.

Is pride not a sin?
God is certainly prideful.

How about gluttony?
God is certainly that.
If he does not get all his own way, he throws a destructive fit.

Regards
DL

Yet the Bible shows God clearly sinning.

Did he not covet Mary? Another man's woman.

he didn't "covet" mary any more than he "covets" any of us. he is god the creator, and will do with us as he pleases. sending jesus to earth as a savior from sin was a righteous and loving act.

Is pride not a sin?
God is certainly prideful.

god isn't prideful, he's god; he's just correct is all. i'm sure he's not surprised or enamored with his own righteousness. :rolleyes:

How about gluttony?
God is certainly that.
If he does not get all his own way, he throws a destructive fit.

Regards
DL

how in the hell would that qualify as gluttony? lol. besides, law is law. you play with fire, you get burned. stop whining.

he didn't "covet" mary any more than he "covets" any of us. he is god the creator, and will do with us as he pleases. sending jesus to earth as a savior from sin was a righteous and loving act.

Perhaps but a loving father would have stepped up himself.

If you or your child had to die, who would you choose?
If you send your child, you are not much of a parent.
If you do the right thing, then you go against God's laughably loving ways.

god isn't prideful, he's god; he's just correct is all. i'm sure he's not surprised or enamored with his own righteousness. :rolleyes:

Place no one above me says you are wrong.

how in the hell would that qualify as gluttony? lol. besides, law is law. you play with fire, you get burned. stop whining.

I like your response. It makes my job of showing how Christianity is flawed that much easier.

Are you sure you are not a friendly flag op?

Regards
DL

God is not a human. God the father is law. Which makes your op moot.

You might note that his laws are mostly ignored. thank God for that as most are draconian and unworkable.

Regards
DL

"unworkable", that's hilarious. Regardless of your opinion of the law that governs the universe and existence, you can not and will not escape the consequence.

Lovely how god's future extreme violence will make light of his milder previous mass murders.

Lovely how god's future extreme violence will make light of his milder previous mass murders.

You know where this world is headed, and you know that nothing "lovely" is going to turn things around.

I am not here to jump through your hoops, oh questionable one- how about more responding and less OPs?

I'm surprised; I thought you were more realistic than that.

I am, and although we are going through the end of the age of cheap energy, and times will be difficult, it will not be the ultimate culmination of war, famine, death and destruction as Christians desire. It will be hard, but life will go on for billions more years.

I am, and although we are going through the end of the age of cheap energy, and times will be difficult, it will not be the ultimate culmination of war, famine, death and destruction as Christians desire. It will be hard, but life will go on for billions more years.

Agreed, I do hope the human race evolves into more rational beings and superstition and bigotry fades into oblivion. Imagine a world without fear mongering, nonsensical, deluded religious fundamentalists and fanatics....ahhhhh, I just got a little taste of heaven right there.

GOD: THE NON ROLE MODEL

‘Tis lucky for us that God doesn’t exist, for in breaking the rules he’d ever persist. Even his own Commandments wouldn’t be sacred since he’d murder his own forms created. Well, this would be goof, big time—a mistake, so then a joyous rainbow he might make, to show he’d no more make a worldly lake, but, he could still destroy us all by Earthquake!

He’d slay by flame and flood excruciate; he’d entrap; he’d blame us for his mistake; he’d hold grudges for our ancestors’ sins; he’d throw tantrums and fits—his name, God’s sake! Other loves would not allowed by this jealous one, for he’d want to be the only one to enjoy the fun. For his low esteem our adoration would be required, this request being much like singing to the choir.

Would he have to sleep or rest on the 7th day, after working 24-6 on making the universal hay? Or would he have boundless energy reserves, such that he could do it all through an instant blurb? Would God’s last name be known as ‘Dammit’, with ‘Harold’ his name on Earth’s planet, and would He be ‘Art’ named—when up in Heaven? Would we swearest in vain these names never taken?

We’d have to be really lazy on the Sabbath day, not even lifting up a finger or even wave a bug away, keeping holy and wholly the laundry on Sunday, even avoiding football, as the Pope might say. Cripes, he’d have been in the right place at the right time, not ever having been made, not even costing a dime. What luck to be unborn with so much talent; never having earned his spot with any effort spent. Well, we’d still humour our dear parents, not telling them where we’d been apparent: honoring her offer, on her and off her; yet, we’d soon learn what’s what, via human nature.

If this non God we’d emulate, we could kill those who solicitate—with our free will, even time, spouses, bugs, microbes and other swill, and, of course, outlaws, and, especially, in-laws. Ah, but the concept of reward and punishment handed out by this omnipotent, omniscient God, is but derivative of family experience—the child and parent—a conception of our world.

So, if God’s a good role model, a leader, someone that we would follow, imitate, emulate, be like, adore, or follow, then what else would his fine example allow? We could jail people for the sins of their ancestors, exterminate humanity, allow known evil to exist and tempt, and devise devious entrapment plans. We could have temper tantrums and outbursts, envy, or not permit competitors, grant free will only it matched our own, and covet worship, adoration, and praise. The Christian God is vengeful, demands of, and tortures us with threats of hellish shove. Well, if I were a God and ruled above, you could remove all my powers but love.

Now, back to the Commandments sultry: yes, we should surely admit adultery. But, why banish all thoughts impure, those that are simply our human nature? Now, if he’d wanted us not to be naked, say, then surely we’d have been born that way! as for padding, that would false witness be, so, please, please keep a breast of reality. And no loving thy neighbors much too much, by coveting their Heavenly bodies such, but, thy own ass do covet—as it’s not free; follow Moses, by always tying it to a tree. There are stealers about, another shalt not, who take office supplies home a lot, and take various and sundry restaurant items, as well as keeping every pen, never buying them. Now, really, always do one to others, too, before they can do the same to you, and never lie in court; no, not you—just let your lawyer do it for you!

Now, walking on water is very much out, unless there is solid ice—winter, no doubt, and never know that sin is fun’s evil twin, and ever enter that evil sin-a-God. So, what more would this invented God be, the one with neither paternity nor maternity? Would we then be made so specially that we’d be rewarded for all eternity? If we’d worship him from fear of Hell, then he’d rightly cast us into it; if we’d worship him from a desire for paradise, then he’d deny us entrance into it. He’d say to Adam and Eve in Eden: “Do what you like, but don’t eat the apple”. Well, we know that when you tell children not to touch something, they certainly will! Only a fool would blame his own creations for the flaws therein, for his poor craftsmanship, so rejoice, there’s no maker of man—these ‘flaws’ provide for many, interesting character types!

Well, He’s still on prozac, so they say, for he works in mysterious [insane] ways. The free will to us given is ever free, unless it doesn’t match his own entirely. So, we’d still think that sins, or ills, of a mental nature are caused by the Devil, an evil tempting spirit; however, now we know of brain chemistry gone astray. He’d still detest evil so totally completely, that he’d allow the Devil to tempt us mercilessly. And sins, even the most horrible ones, well, no big deal; we’d just repent them to avoid Hell.

Rigged & jigged, God’s perfect plans would be done, but he’d long for some surprises yet to come, so he might even roll the dice, it being random; “Darn!” he’d say, I already knew the outcome!” One-night stands with engaged young virgins would be OK, but those are not good urgin’s; and no fighting, especially if you are weak; so, when one kisses your ass, turn the other cheek! Thus, a God-who-is-a-being would, like us, be dependent on, and exist after, the ground of ultimate reality, and so could not, in himself, be his own cause. The Diviner would just sit around, with nothing else to do, his mind already full with what would become as new. He couldn’t play dice, scrambling the forecast, For he would know all of which the die was cast.

Now, hail the real all and the one, omnipresent, for it’s eternal, too, and can neither be created nor destroyed, being its own cause, and the ground of all—it’s positive/negative energy!

Back