Is it moral to use cell phone jammers?

Let me put it into lamen's terms for you then:
Every other patron in the movie theater trying to watch the movie undisturbed trumps anybody with any emergency still yapping on their phone while still in the theater (including the loud, annoying ring)

Heh if it was your family emergency, would you still think that?

I agree that calls can be answered away from the movie or whatever, but the ability to receive them should not be restricted.

Heh if it was your family emergency, would you still think that?
Absolutely. I either turn my cell phone off or leave it in my vehicle when I go into clubs/theatres/restaurants. If I was that worried about being able to answer my cell phone for an emergency that I may not be able to do anything about, then I wouldn't go into those places. And by the time you get an emergency call, it's not like you can 'prevent' anything, whatever the emergency was, already happened anyway.

I agree that calls can be answered away from the movie or whatever, but the ability to receive them should not be restricted.
In certain places, yes they should. I.e. If you're on an airplane, what fuckin difference would it make if you had an emergency call when you were on the plane? It's not like you can do a damn thing about it anyway.
And besides, you'll still have those jackasses that will answer their vibrating phone in a theater and instead of getting up to leave, they'll just sit there and yak away. Better to just nip it in the bud.

Absolutely. I either turn my cell phone off or leave it in my vehicle when I go into clubs/theatres/restaurants. If I was that worried about being able to answer my cell phone for an emergency that I may not be able to do anything about, then I wouldn't go into those places. And by the time you get an emergency call, it's not like you can 'prevent' anything, whatever the emergency was, already happened anyway.

In certain places, yes they should. I.e. If you're on an airplane, what fuckin difference would it make if you had an emergency call when you were on the plane? It's not like you can do a damn thing about it anyway.
And besides, you'll still have those jackasses that will answer their vibrating phone in a theater and instead of getting up to leave, they'll just sit there and yak away. Better to just nip it in the bud.

I would be willing to tolerate the jackasses for the freedom to have the option of receiving the call.

I see no reason why I need to go back to the good ole days when I would have to be near a landline before I could be reached.
No one is going to block your calls outdoors. If your calls are being blocked, you'll be near a landline!

I agree that it would be okay if there are signs clearly posted stating that cell phones will be jammed. If you don't post that sort of warning, you risk being sued into oblivion when someone dies because they weren't able to use their phone (and rightfully so).

But if you're going to bother putting up signs saying that they will be jammed, why not just have a "No cellphones allowed" sign? Then when someone violates it, tell them to stop and throw them out if they don’t comply. You don’t even need an expensive and illegal jammer to do that – and you can make common-sense exceptions if someone has some sort of emergency.

I agree that it would be okay if there are signs clearly posted stating that cell phones will be jammed. If you don't post that sort of warning, you risk being sued into oblivion when someone dies because they weren't able to use their phone (and rightfully so).
I dont' agree with that. Because first off, a vendor does not have to allow anything the vendor does not want in there. I'm sure you've seen signs posted to the degree of: We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at anytime for any reason.
That right there covers the lawsuits.

But if you're going to bother putting up signs saying that they will be jammed, why not just have a "No cellphones allowed" sign? Then when someone violates it, tell them to stop and throw them out if they don’t comply. You don’t even need an expensive and illegal jammer to do that – and you can make common-sense exceptions if someone has some sort of emergency.
No, but you need paid ushers/attendees to ensure that the rules are enforced. You think a yearly salary for every usher/attendee that you have will cost less than a jamming device?
You only need one. It doesn't take breaks, lunches or off time.

jamming would mean I could not be contacted in an emergency. e.g. if my kid was sick in school or my dad had a heart attack;

There are very few emergencies (unless you are a doctor or firefighter, in which case you should be on duty and not in the cinema) that requires a person's INSTANT notification!! Your kid or dad are probably in much safer hands where they are at the time of call, and getting the info 1 hour later doesn't change much.
Also your batteries can be down or you in a badly covered area, so you will survive just fine, without knowing about shit happening immediatelly...

There are very few emergencies (unless you are a doctor or firefighter, in which case you should be on duty and not in the cinema) that requires a person's INSTANT notification!! Your kid or dad are probably in much safer hands where they are at the time of call, and getting the info 1 hour later doesn't change much.
Also your batteries can be down or you in a badly covered area, so you will survive just fine, without knowing about shit happening immediatelly...

That was just an example. It could be anything. Cell phones are a boon to girls for example, who may be stranded for whatever reason. They are also an instant handy resource to dial 911 from anywhere where there is a signal. Taking away the choice of access is simply wrong.

yeah...I dream of just sending EM distruption wave to knock out those all day long talking girls on a phone that are like, "well hey, like, hey, how are you...oh really....yeah....like yeah...and like...oh really?? totally!...yeah...like...like...yeah...yeah...oh really....yeah". I mean I just want to turn the thing on and their darn cellphones will go dead. grrrr

yeah its moral, retaliation time!

:bravo::worship::D

Taking away the choice of access is simply wrong.

And what of the cell phone users taking away the choices of others not to be disturbed by ringing phones and jabbering phone users?

No one is so important that they need a phone 24/7. They didn't need them in the old days, they don't need 'em now. All that bullshit is just more justification for disturbing others with the incessant chatter and ring tones.

Baron Max

And what of the cell phone users taking away the choices of others not to be disturbed by ringing phones and jabbering phone users?

No one is so important that they need a phone 24/7. They didn't need them in the old days, they don't need 'em now. All that bullshit is just more justification for disturbing others with the incessant chatter and ring tones.

Baron Max

Jamming cell phones won't change that. People will make noise regardless. If you are sensitive, you can use Bose headphones.

...No one is so important that they need a phone 24/7. They didn't need them in the old days, they don't need 'em now. All that bullshit is just more justification for disturbing others with the incessant chatter and ring tones.

Baron Max

agreed. No one in our house has one. It makes me crazy to see someone with a bluetooth paying for stuff with food stamps. :rolleyes:
When I hear someone talking really loud on their cell in the store, I join in the conversation....LOUDLY!
I turn to my kids and say "OMG! Did you hear that!! Jeans are on sale. WOW!! Paul cheated on jenny! Oh that sounds so good, she's having steak for supper. No, I don't like that kind of wine either"
What are they gonna do?

Man you guys are fussy! It rarely bothers me; when it does the problem is resolved by tapping the offender on the shoulder and requesting them to tone down.

Man you guys are fussy! It rarely bothers me; when it does the problem is resolved by tapping the offender on the shoulder and requesting them to tone down.

Yeah, if I touched anyone here (in the city, not my village), I'd probably get sued for assault. These people don't exactly understand civility. If they did, they wouldn't have to be told.

Yeah, if I touched anyone here (in the city, not my village), I'd probably get sued for assault. These people don't exactly understand civility. If they did, they wouldn't have to be told.

Or get beat up, if you tapped on the wrong guys shoulder..

People also got along well without transport, internet and sliced bread.

The option to have access is now available and is very useful for people like working mothers and elderly people. I see no reason why I need to go back to the good ole days when I would have to be near a landline before I could be reached. As for flapping lips, you don't need a phone for that.

Wait. We were not talking about a ban on cellphones. We were talking about certain establishments jamming. Given the technological lust and dependence out there - beyond those who are in true need - I doubt this will be everywhere. It will be a niche phenomenon and one you can avoid.

And in those businesses you would always be near a landline.

Also, why a doctor or a mother of 4 has more right to receive a call then me, who just want to yak away???

I think cell phone jammer is a quite helpful gadget,it can protect the quiet and peace of many public places.
:m:

Back