Is God Real?

but every day life trees,planets, and stars are all the proof i need.

Why? Because something exists that means God created it? Because something exists that means it was created? Complexity doesn't assume design.

Marc,

I can’t tell if you have simply missed the point again, or you deliberately twist the text. I suspect a bit of both.

The imaginings of scientists quite often turn into discoveries of reality. The imaginings of theists have never turned into anything real.

The concepts of gods, devils, the supernatural, and souls, remain as ever just fictional. And there appears no prospect that this will change any time soon.

That you can delude yourself with reified objects is really your problem. I don’t care what you choose to believe when you can’t substantiate any of it one iota.

But just one little reality check for you: the fact that you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.
I can’t see something that doesn’t exist. And it appears to make no difference to my life whether gods or souls exists or not. Although life is easier and freer to assume they do not exist. The issue is seemingly irrelevant.

I have no problem with science, nor do I have a problem with God being real.

My reality encompasses both. Hope you understand.
Sure why not. It’s your life. Do your own thing and I’ll do mine.

Crushing,

What do you think nature is anyway.
Material that obeys natural laws.

There is no need to invent anything unnatural/non-natural/supernatural.

why does it matter? if you choose to believe in god, then enjoy...if your like me and don't believe there is a higher power or whatever, then that's fine too. does there really need to be such confusion over it?

CA,

I prefer to view it as the other way around.
OK I’m game. What wording would you choose? I couldn’t find a pattern that would meet your POV.

why does it matter? if you choose to believe in god, then enjoy...if your like me and don't believe there is a higher power or whatever, then that's fine too. does there really need to be such confusion over it?

A poor evasion technique. Give it the old 'it doesn't matter' talk to drown out relevant exploration. Perhaps we should all hijack planes.

I prefer to view it as the other way around.

It makes sense both ways, since material is what nature is composed of. This material in turn dictates the laws by it's own properties.

Originally posted by Cris
CA,

OK I’m game. What wording would you choose? I couldn’t find a pattern that would meet your POV.
Sorry, it was a minor point - perhaps I should have added a happy face or something ...

Even where unintended, one could read an undercurrent of teleology in phrases about matter obeying. Obviously, the map is not the territory, and matter obeys nothing. What we call "natural laws" are human constructs, testable (and, in my opinion, ever more accurate) generalizations characterizing the attributes of matter. Natural law obeys matter.

Originally posted by and2000x
It makes sense both ways, since material is what nature is composed of. This material in turn dictates the laws by it's own properties.
I will say this once and only once: I have zero interest in any type of dialogue with pro Nazi scum.

CA,

You are right of course, although what you say doesn't easily translate to a short catchy phrase.

:)

CA,

I have zero interest in any type of dialogue with pro Nazi scum.
Does a truth change its nature depending on who said it?

CA,

If a racist makes a valuable non-racist statement will you treat that statement with contempt simply because of who said it?

I don't see any racism here.

Originally posted by ConsequentAtheist
I will say this once and only once: I have zero interest in any type of dialogue with pro Nazi scum.
When you find racists issuing "truth", please feel free to paraphrase it for me.

Contemptible Fascist/Racist Person: This marble falls to the ground when I toss it into the air. There must be some relationship existing between the marble and the ground.

CA: That's not true, because you're a fascist/racist blow-hard.

Redoubtable: Huh?:confused:

Back