Is God Narcissistic?

This reminds me of a line from "Pitch Black" when Riddick tells a muslim pilgrim (who just accused him of not having faith):

"I absolutely believe in God. And I absolutely hate the fucker."

This reminds me of a line from "Pitch Black" when Riddick tells a muslim pilgrim (who just accused him of not having faith):

"I absolutely believe in God. And I absolutely hate the fucker."

yeah, i don't hate him, but he's not nice. he's not even remotely interested in being nice. he's benevolent, in that he always acts in our best interest, but that doesn't necessarily involve being nice. he's also not a prude like so many people seem to think he is (or like a lot of church people are). it's not possible to offend him because, well he's god, and he's seen and done it all.

ultimately, i really dig him. :)

yeah, i don't hate him, but he's not nice. he's not even remotely interested in being nice. he's benevolent, in that he always acts in our best interest, but that doesn't necessarily involve being nice.

What is your definition of nice, in this case, when it comes to the Biblical God?
I'm really curious as to how you justify the not so nice things? (eg ordering babies to be dashed to pieces before their parents eyes)

he's also not a prude like so many people seem to think he is (or like a lot of church people are). it's not possible to offend him because, well he's god, and he's seen and done it all.

Of course it's possible to offend him. Do not forget how the Biblical God got all upset because Uzziah didn't carry the ark like God wanted. Remember how the verse said that when Uzziah touched the ark, it angered God and he struck him down and killed him right there because of it. It's stories like that I'd like to know how you justify him doing those things.

What is your definition of nice, in this case, when it comes to the Biblical God?
I'm really curious as to how you justify the not so nice things? (eg ordering babies to be dashed to pieces before their parents eyes)

Of course it's possible to offend him. Do not forget how the Biblical God got all upset because Uzziah didn't carry the ark like God wanted. Remember how the verse said that when Uzziah touched the ark, it angered God and he struck him down and killed him right there because of it. It's stories like that I'd like to know how you justify him doing those things.

nice doesn't equal right. actually nice can kind of imply dishonesty in a way. like diplomacy, or tact, or some type of retraint on honesty. god is honest.

the babies! the babies! you mean like what goes on all day every day in an abortion clinic? yeah, it happens. it's actually what got me questioning the existence of god. my unresolved feelings. you know that whole story right?

"anger"...a lot of times in the bible god is described as having human qualities like emotions...jealousy, whatever...but it's important to remember that god is NOT human, he is god. and he operates according to law, that he created and that is perfect. you really adore these 2 particular scriptures don't you?

nice doesn't equal right. actually nice can kind of imply dishonesty in a way. like diplomacy, or tact, or some type of retraint on honesty. god is honest.

I encourage you to read 1 Kings 22: 1-23 and you'll see just how the Biblical God not only advocates lying, but used it to win a battle by telling his own prophet to lie.

1Ki 22:20 "The LORD said, 'Who will entice Ahab to go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead?' And one said this while another said that.
1Ki 22:21 "Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD and said, 'I will entice him.'
1Ki 22:22 "The LORD said to him, 'How?' And he said, 'I will go out and be a deceiving spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.' Then He (God) said, 'You are to entice {him} and also prevail. Go and do so.' (meaning go and lie)
1Ki 22:23 "Now therefore, behold, the LORD has put a deceiving spirit in the mouth of all these your prophets; and the LORD has proclaimed disaster against you."
the babies! the babies! you mean like what goes on all day every day in an abortion clinic?
Again, for the zillionth time, no. :) I'm not speaking about them nor about when natural disasters happen...

I'm speaking about the scriptures of the Bible where God directly ordered these babies to be slaughtered in his name before their parents eyes.

I'm speaking about all the babies and children who died in the flood that God caused because he wanted to wipe out every living man, woman, child, and babies because he felt they were evil (except Noah and family). This is what the Bible says, it is not my interpretation.

I'm talking about God who sent out 2 she bears to kill 42 children all because they made fun of one of his prophets for being bald. Children making fun of a bald prophet...warrants God to have them chomped and torn to pieces by bears? I guess I wonder why you think this is perfectly fine for him to do. In these cases, though, that's brutal and very Charles Manson like.
yeah, it happens. it's actually what got me questioning the existence of god. my unresolved feelings. you know that whole story right?

I know what you are speaking about, but I'm not sure that I remember how that made you question God's existence?

"anger"...a lot of times in the bible god is described as having human qualities like emotions...jealousy, whatever...but it's important to remember that god is NOT human, he is god.

But he sure acts human. In the story where God killed Uzziah, he did it because he was angry and he couldn't control his rage. Call me dense, but I just cannot see how you think that a true God could be so out of control as to break one of his own commandments and kill someone because he got pissed off at them. Saddam yes, a loving God...not so much..not at all.

and he operates according to law, that he created and that is perfect.

Where is it written in the Bible that if you piss off God he must kill you? He speaks of mercy out of one side of his mouth yet orders people to be brutally killed out of the other side of his mouth.

you really adore these 2 particular scriptures don't you?

:) I have others. Seriously, I can't understand how you can so easily dismiss and ignore these stories. How do you justify those behaviors of the Biblical God? What makes his actions in those Bible stories OK with you?

like i said...god's not nice, but he is god. do you think that he did not create satan? he created satan, and law, and the nasty consequences of breaking it. everything has a good purpose, but not everything is good. it seems like you want to pretend that everything is good and pretty and nice, and it's not.

Lori,

No, it's not that. :shrug:Call me crazy, but I just think a true and stable and unconditionally loving God (unconditional meaning he wouldn't have created hell to begin with. Words are cheap, it's action that counts.) would be above the behavior of a barbaric asshole.

PS
If we are to be like God, does that mean we are to replicate his behavior?

Lori,

No, it's not that. :shrug:Call me crazy, but I just think a true and stable and unconditionally loving God (unconditional meaning he wouldn't have created hell to begin with. Words are cheap, it's action that counts.) would be above the behavior of a barbaric asshole.

PS
If we are to be like God, does that mean we are to replicate his behavior?

apparently we do. i mean, take a look around. i don't know where in this hell hole you're getting the idea that god is nice. where are you? what planet? i live on this one and let me tell you that there is no doubt in my mind or in my face that god is not nice at all. maybe you're too comfortable, maybe you're too happy, or maybe you've got your eyes closed, or rose-colored glasses on but i'm not seeing what you apparently want to see. maybe if i punch you in the face you'll change your mind. maybe if i kick you in the stomach. maybe if i give you some painful or chronic disease. how about a physical or mental handicap? how about a child with a handicap? how about a job you hate, or better yet a job you lose? how about i take away your girlfriend? how about i lock you in a closet or in a basement and starve you, and ignore you, if only to take you out periodically and abuse you, beat you, sodomize you? or how about if i do that to a child? to your child? how about if people and children all over the world are enslaved and abused and suffering because of the lust for power, the greed, the gluttony, and the sloth of many? will you still want to believe that god is nice? because I JUST DESCRIBED THE WORLD WE LIVE IN. and the same world in which nothing goes down unless god says it does.

apparently we do. i mean, take a look around. i don't know where in this hell hole you're getting the idea that god is nice. where are you? what planet? i live on this one and let me tell you that there is no doubt in my mind or in my face that god is not nice at all. maybe you're too comfortable, maybe you're too happy, or maybe you've got your eyes closed, or rose-colored glasses on but i'm not seeing what you apparently want to see. maybe if i punch you in the face you'll change your mind. maybe if i kick you in the stomach. maybe if i give you some painful or chronic disease. how about a physical or mental handicap? how about a child with a handicap? how about a job you hate, or better yet a job you lose? how about i take away your girlfriend? how about i lock you in a closet or in a basement and starve you, and ignore you, if only to take you out periodically and abuse you, beat you, sodomize you? or how about if i do that to a child? to your child? how about if people and children all over the world are enslaved and abused and suffering because of the lust for power, the greed, the gluttony, and the sloth of many? will you still want to believe that god is nice? because I JUST DESCRIBED THE WORLD WE LIVE IN. and the same world in which nothing goes down unless god says it does.

Having a bad day?

If you believe "God" is like that, then why the hell do you serve him? I thought that you didn't think God toyed with people like that? I thought you said he gave us free will? If you have changed your mind, again, I ask, why do you serve him?

You know that you and I have different beliefs and I do not subscribe to Christianity. But...what makes you think that any loving God would cause and create those things? For kicks and giggles? What reason would he have? How can an evil God be a good thing, Lori?

Having a bad day?

If you believe "God" is like that, then why the hell do you serve him? I thought that you didn't think God toyed with people like that? I thought you said he gave us free will? If you have changed your mind, again, I ask, why do you serve him?

You know that you and I have different beliefs and I do not subscribe to Christianity. But...what makes you think that any loving God would cause and create those things? For kicks and giggles? What reason would he have? How can an evil God be a good thing, Lori?

no i'm actually have a great day. i just don't use that as an excuse to ignore all of the terrible things that go on in this world every day. why do i "serve" him? because he is him. there is no other. he is the creator, and the maker of the law, and it is right. it is perfect. i'm saying that perfect is not nice. i believe that everything happens for a reason, and i'm not arrogant enough to think that i have to know what that reason is all the time. "toys with people" he does, if that's what you want to call it. look at what he's done to me. it happened for a reason. was it nice? are you kidding? fuck no it wasn't nice, but it's served a valuable purpose. do i understand exactly what that is? no i don't, and i don't have to. i trust him to know what he's doing because he's god. of course he gave us free will and look what we do with it. we destroy each other and the world. but it's all in the plan, and there's a reason for it, and i trust that it's right. i can see the light at the end of the tunnel in fact.

heart, he is the only thing, and the only thing for you to decide is "in or out"?

he is the creator, and the maker of the law, and it is right. it is perfect.

What, in your opinion, makes it right? What makes it perfect? If you could, please refrain from using the blanket statement, "because he is God."
i believe that everything happens for a reason, and i'm not arrogant enough to think that i have to know what that reason is all the time.

You are all the time telling me that you do not blindly follow God. According to what you've written above, it kinda looks like you are.

Reasons are important, Lori. Without them then we lack information to base our decisions on, can't you see that?
do i understand exactly what that is? no i don't, and i don't have to. i trust him to know what he's doing because he's god.

Again, blindly following- just read what you wrote.

of course he gave us free will and look what we do with it. we destroy each other and the world.

We do? But I thought you said God did? Which is it?
but it's all in the plan

If you're saying it's God's plan, then we don't have free will.
and there's a reason for it, and i trust that it's right. i can see the light at the end of the tunnel in fact.

Again, blindly believing it's the right thing.

Last edited:
Not so, and if you feel that way, then you misunderstand the Christian God of the Bible.

The word "glorify" is used in the Bible a lot (i.e. John 16:14). But what does "glorify" mean? To glorify something or someone is to praise, joy, and delight in them. When something is useful to you you are attracted to it for what it can bring you or do for you. But if it is beautiful, then you enjoy it for simply what it is. Just being in its presences is its own reward. To glorify someone is also to serve or defer to him or her. Instead of sacrificing their interests to make yourself happy, you sacrifice your interests to make them happy. Why? Your ultimate joy is to see them in joy.

But, if the Bible says that God calls on us to glorify, praise and serve him, doesn't that make him "narcissistic"? No, it doesn't - he wants our joy. He has infinite happiness not through self-centeredness, but through self-giving, other-centered love. And the only way we can have this same joy is if we center our entire lives around him instead of ourselves.

God didn't create us to receive cosmic glorification, he created us to share in it.

The African slave trade is a deep stain on Christian history no doubt, and the churches must bear responsibility along with their societies for what happened. But, it was the Christians who first came to the conclusion that it was wrong. The abolition of New World slavery was initiated and achieved by Christian activists.

Christianity's self-correcting apparatus, its critique of religiously supported acts of injustice, had asserted itself.

If I had a penny for every time someone said that what it says in the Bible does not mean what it says .......

God is sure a poor comunicator. Witness the hundreds of sects, each claiming they have the truth.

What, in your opionion, makes it right? What makes it perfect? If you could, please refrain from using the blanket statement, "because he is God."

You are all the time telling me that you do not blindly follow God. According to what you've written above, it kinda looks like you are.

Reasons are important, Lori. Without them then we lack information to base our decisions on, can't you see that?

Again, blindly following- just read what you wrote.

We do? But I thought you said God did? Which is it?

If you're saying it's God's plan, then we don't have free will.

Again, blindly believing it's the right thing.

he's GOD!?!?! he created the universe and everything in it. i consider that a good reason to trust him with running it. he created the law. it's just how it is. YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT. the day you create your own universe is the day YOU get to decide how it is. i have a relationship with this god. and it's also based on that relationship that i trust him, and because of it that i've seen a light. and don't ask me to explain free will to you. do you make decisions or not? yeah, you do. is his plan achieved regardless of what you do? yeah, it is. there ya go. it's called omnipotence and i don't have it so i can't explain.

he's GOD!?!?! he created the universe and everything in it. i consider that a good reason to trust him with running it.

Blindly following (I say blindly because you say you don't understand why he does what he does) a God that you have called an asshole and not nice and evil, yet you trust him to run it for our good?

YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT. the day you create your own universe is the day YOU get to decide how it is.

I never desired to create my own universe...this has nothing to do with what we are talking about. The only thing I've done is ask you questions and provide scriptures.

do you make decisions or not? yeah, you do. is his plan achieved regardless of what you do?

If I'm understanding you right, you're saying that God has a plan. In that plan he may have to do some evil things in order to achieve it. You agreed he toys with us in order for it to happen. So, collectively he is using every blessed person for his own personal gain plan. THEREFORE, NO, we do NOT have free will, according to this. But you know, go ahead and trust this evil entity anyway, because, after all, he's God and therefore he knows best??? :bugeye:

he's god. you don't have to trust him if you don't want to. you don't have to like him if you don't want to. you don't have to live with him if you don't want to. last night i got to thinking about your accusations about me following him blindly, and i am offended and hurt, and i don't get that way very often. i have shared with you more about what he's done in and with my life and what it means more than i have anyone else. so if you can say that i'm following him blindly after all i've explained to you, then my only response to you is, "fuck you". i'm not stupid enough to think i'm going to, or to even want to try to understand everything he does and why he does it. i know what he's done to me and it allows me to trust him with my life. we've been talking about this for 10 years. and you have been asking me these same stupid irrelevant questions about dead babies half way across the world for 10 years. and i keep giving you the same answer. it would be nice if you'd actually remember the answer i'm giving you this time and not continue to ask. i know why it is that you don't want to believe what the bible says, and it doesn't have a thing to do with any babies. it has to do with the fact that you were raised by religious hypocrites. that's not my fault so get off my back. if you want to know why god does what he does then ask him. you hear him as well as i do. if i were you i'd stop worrying about what happened 1000's of years ago on the other side of the world and give a shit about what's going on in our lives right now. then again, i know you're not really looking for a way to understand him. you're looking for a way not to have to. congratulations.

he's god. you don't have to trust him if you don't want to. you don't have to like him if you don't want to. you don't have to live with him if you don't want to. last night i got to thinking about your accusations about me following him blindly, and i am offended and hurt, and i don't get that way very often.

First, I never intended to offend you, Lor. We both have said many things to each other and I don't feel my tone or content has been different in this one much at all. I explained when I say blindly is because you have said you have no understanding why the Biblical God does any of the evil and brutal things he does. Yet, you trust him that those things are somehow "right". If you feel that I'm wrong about that, then let me know. Regardless, I am sorry for having upset you.
i have shared with you more about what he's done in and with my life and what it means more than i have anyone else. so if you can say that i'm following him blindly after all i've explained to you, then my only response to you is, "fuck you".

I am not looking at it in that way, Lori. Again, please refer up above as to why I used the word "blindly". What I'm talking about has nothing to do with the things that you have shared with me. We have been talking about why God has done those brutal things in the Bible. How he has lied and toyed with others in the Bible. So please don't take that as a slap in the face against the personal things you've shared with me, as I'm not talking about those.
i'm not stupid enough to think i'm going to, or to even want to try to understand everything he does and why he does it. i know what he's done to me and it allows me to trust him with my life. we've been talking about this for 10 years. and you have been asking me these same stupid irrelevant questions about dead babies half way across the world for 10 years.

You're right. We are no further now than back then. I guess I just for once wished you could look at those scriptures you want to turn a head away from and and think about them. But, I see now you'd rather not and asking you to do so upsets you. My bad.

and i keep giving you the same answer. it would be nice if you'd actually remember the answer i'm giving you this time and not continue to ask.

BUT, you haven't given me those answers, Lori. That is why I don't remember them. You keep giving the answer, "because he's God." It is my fault not to recognize that is your answer, period. I'm just use to you analyzing everything, except those scriptures. Don't worry, I'll not ask you to look at them again.
i know why it is that you don't want to believe what the bible says, and it doesn't have a thing to do with any babies. it has to do with the fact that you were raised by religious hypocrites. that's not my fault so get off my back.

Again, wrong! I can't get past those bloody scriptures you want to turn your head and ears away from. I didn't realize asking you to actually think about them was being on your back. Again, my bad, Lori.
if i were you i'd stop worrying about what happened 1000's of years ago on the other side of the world and give a shit about what's going on in our lives right now.

Doesn't the Bible say that God is the God that changeth not? That he is the same yesterday, today, and forever?
If those are correct, I'd say it matters how he conducted himself 1000's of years ago.

then again, i know you're not really looking for a way to understand him. you're looking for a way not to have to. congratulations.

I'm looking at the scriptures and saying something is totally fucked up with this Biblical God. But, you know, what can you expect from someone who continuously asks stupid irrelevant questions? :bugeye:

Back