Is god moral ?

Morality doesn't exist on it's own nor is it defined by a single action...Individuals who exercise their free will define morality over a long period of time to include their lives and beyond. Actions don't define morality in my view, it's the series of impacts resulting from the action that will define morality.

Originally posted by Flores
Morality doesn't exist on it's own nor is it defined by a single action...Individuals who exercise their free will define morality over a long period of time to include their lives and beyond. Actions don't define morality in my view, it's the series of impacts resulting from the action that will define morality.
what about suicide?

Hmm, I like the argument or thought or whatever of "Is something moral because God does it, or does God do it because it's moral?" Surprised no-one's mentioned that already, or maybe they did and I missed it. :eek:

I'd say God should be moral because his nature is supposed to be benevolent, but then ... I don't think that. :p

Firefly, are you referencing Euthyphro? If so, I think you'll see that Socrates said that if God does things because they are moral, he cannot be the highest power.

Um ... I dunno, it's just an idea someone mentioned to me a couple of years ago, not sure who first thought it. Nonetheless, it still stands, doesn't it?

Originally posted by Firefly
Hmm, I like the argument or thought or whatever of "Is something moral because God does it, or does God do it because it's moral?" Surprised no-one's mentioned that already, or maybe they did and I missed it. :eek:

I'd say God should be moral because his nature is supposed to be benevolent, but then ... I don't think that. :p
what is benevolent? keep you satisfied all the time?

Um, I don't know the exact Latin translation, but it's something like wanting only good. Bene = good, volent = want?? Someone help me out?!

Um ... I dunno, it's just an idea someone mentioned to me a couple of years ago, not sure who first thought it. Nonetheless, it still stands, doesn't it?

Well, it's not really an argument, but as an idea, no, it really doesn't stand to prove or add credibility to 'God'.

I don't think Wang is asking what benevolent means. It sort of means well and to wish...like: a well-wisher.

I think Wang is really saying...how is God supposed to be benevolent...as in: by what actions? And then asking if to be benevolent he would need to keep people satisfied all of the time...by doing good for them.

Um, I don't know the exact Latin translation, but it's something like wanting only good. Bene = good, volent = want?? Someone help me out?!
in stealing or something?

Originally posted by DarkEyedBeauty
I don't think Wang is asking what benevolent means. It sort of means well and to wish...like: a well-wisher.

I think Wang is really saying...how is God supposed to be benevolent...as in: by what actions? And then asking if to be benevolent he would need to keep people satisfied all of the time...by doing good for them.
God may use his power to make you feel cozy, but you know, they become lazy and irresponsible.

Exactly. And keeping people happy all of the time just cannot happen. There is a such thing as jealousy out there. And if God were to keep people happy all of the time, happy and safe...then he would be interfering with free will.

Originally posted by yinyinwang
what about suicide?

As I said before, morality in my opinion is not defined by the action, but by the impacts resulting from taking the action.

An action of commiting suicide could be taken due to many reasons, but the bottom line is, even though suicide might be the last option for some people, an internal and external fight must be fought to the last minute to gasp for dear life. A life should never be thrown away.. Only then, that suicide may be moral in my view.

Me rambling about some examples:

1- Person unable to face their own problems, the world, face failure with courage, ect...In my view, this is very immoral or lazy. The impacts of suiciding in this case is unknown and are always infinite. Every person in this world in my view is extremely valuable human being with a distinct fuction that triggers an infinite amount of changes to our world. All one have to do to know how important they are is to look at the rocks, the water, food supply, the sun, the moon, ect... A little fruit needs the sun with all it's energy, the rain, the whole world balance and harmony, just to be. And just like the price of one little fruit is this entire universe, the life of a human is also equal to this entire universe. I see that the gift of life is the result of infinite resources working together in such harmony to conceive one life. If people view themselves from that light, noone would think about suicide as an option unless a worthy fight is fought.

2- Some people kill themselves because they can't bear to see other people suffering because of their existance. This type of suicide is not based on factual information, but assumptions, that could all be wrong. In addition, the person suiciding may be making wrong choices to cause other suffering that could be ammended to releif the suffering of others. I think that suicide in this case is a weak way out and could be immoral depending on the circumstances, but who knows...An action of amending oneself and solving the root cause of the problem is way better than suicide.

3- A person might kill themselves to save others. For example, if there is one tiny boat floating in the middle of a cold icy water that could hold a small weight, I would without hesitation place children on top and I'll fight the cold and pain in my body to stay alive as much as possible, hoping for the best and couragious to expect the worst....This is in my view moral suicide. I don't think that it's immoral to save oneself over a child or another soul, but I would personally have a hard time living on the expense of another life....perhaps that's why I despise so much the Christ savior concept.

Flores:
Good points.
I agree the we should read morality in a context. Treating ourselves is the same in treating life as a whole.

Originally posted by DarkEyedBeauty
Exactly. And keeping people happy all of the time just cannot happen. There is a such thing as jealousy out there. And if God were to keep people happy all of the time, happy and safe...then he would be interfering with free will.
If you do everything for them you will end up with 6 B monkeys instead of people

Back