Is god moral ?

Originally posted by yinyinwang
Does god konw what he was doing if he set off the big bang?
Is god moral in doing so?
how do you know it was god?
couldnt all this Universe be just a chemical reaction?

Their is no such thing as moral, because look at it this way. People have different morals right? So who's right? Everyone and no one at the same time, if everyone has their own morals then that causes morals to be an equivalent to someones personal opinion. Thus causing morals to be a meaningless word. So was it moral for God to do that? Well I think it was right, what do you think?

Morality is one of our more prominent mental constructions. It is an idea created in the mind. We can't feel it, touch it, smell it or hear it. Is is a concept, nothing more. And it is a concept built up around beliefs which often are false.

Originally posted by yinyinwang
Does god konw what he was doing if he set off the big bang?
Nothing happens without an intension. God knows what he/she/it was doing if the big bang was set of. It is to create the here and the there, the ups and the downs, the hot and the cold, ie a world of the relatives in which he can experience he is. In the absence of which that is not, that which is ... is not. God knows conceptually, what god is, but there's nothing but god, therefore cannot know it experienentially. The big bang is a tool which god used to allow god experience god.

'Intellectual', I'm sure that wang wasn't talking about any sort of subjective type of morals. People often misuse the word 'moral'. If you only mean your beliefs, then you're not talking about morality. If morality isn't something universal and objective, then morality isn't worth worrying about. The only reason people talk about it is because they are concerned with a higher morality, one which is possibly given to us from some higher power.

Providing something like God really exists:

Yes, he is moral - according to his own moral standards. He is supreme being, he defines what is good and what is bad, he is the creator of everything, including morality.

Dark Eyed Beauty

'Intellectual', I'm sure that wang wasn't talking about any sort of subjective type of morals. People often misuse the word 'moral'. If you only mean your beliefs, then you're not talking about morality. If morality isn't something universal and objective, then morality isn't worth worrying about. The only reason people talk about it is because they are concerned with a higher morality, one which is possibly given to us from some higher power.

I'm pretty sure your right about wang. Just thought I'd add that in there. Do you agree with me?

Originally posted by DarkEyedBeauty
I do believe in universal morality.

So do I. But can you define YOUR universal morality? I can define mine - it's simple:

Who survives is moral, who dies is immoral.

Originally posted by Raha

Yes, he is moral - according to his own moral standards. He is supreme being, he defines what is good and what is bad, he is the creator of everything, including morality.
Very well said.
With one caveat:
The popular view of what the Abrahamic God is.

If the popular Abrahamic God does exist as is told, then yes, Morality is universal and that universal morality is based solely on God's actions, therefore nothing God would do could be immoral.

However, I think the Abrahamic God is a bunch of hooey myself.

I do believe in universal morality.
I couldn't disagree more heartily.
Define and justify universal morality, please.

Quoting myself from another forum:
Would the typical modern Westerner think it is moral to sacrifice virgins to Gods?
Would the typical American think it is moral for a young woman to be gang raped by a council of elders for kissing a man she wasn't married to?
Would a Buddhist think it is moral to perform product testing on animals?
Does the Amerivan legal code allow for public canings of youth?
These are more than just minor detals of application.
I could go on and on.

Even within our own culture.
There are far more than the derranged few that believe that stealing is not wrong in many circumstances.
Many people see the rewards in selfish inconsiderate thinking and actions and base their morals on that.
It is wholly subjective.

And to the original question:
What would be immoral about the Big Bang?:confused: :bugeye:

Yes god define the rules, but the question is how he impose them?
Does god abide to the rules he gave the universe?
Do humans undersatnd god rules?
Does human morality is the same with the god morality?
In humans eye or morality if god is moral or not.

yinyinwang,

Are you suggesting that God sets a "Do as I say, not as I do" example?

So do I. But can you define YOUR universal morality? I can define mine - it's simple:

Who survives is moral, who dies is immoral.

That's bull. Everyone dies.

And...everyone commits some immoral acts in their lives.

Originally posted by one_raven
I couldn't disagree more heartily.
Define and justify universal morality, please.

There are things we just know we should not do. We shouldn't try to control other people. We shouldn't kill people. We shouldn't kill babies. We shouldn't have sex with our children. We shouldn't spite people, purposely. We shouldn't put our work off on other people.

That kind of basic stuff.

That's not universal

There are things we just know we should not do.

That's very interesting.

We shouldn't try to control other people.

How about people who can't control themselves....babies who can't walk unless you move them, who can't dress, unless you dress them, who can't eat unless you feed them, who can't wipe their butts, unless you do it for them, the young, the very old, the sick, the mentally challenged, ect....

We shouldn't kill people.

God does that everyday and you claim that god is moral. He designed us to die.

We shouldn't kill babies.

God makes sick babies die. Hurricans and earthquakes kill babies and adults..Viruses created by god kill babies..ect....Do you suggest that god, viruses, and hurricans are immoral?

That kind of basic stuff.

Very basic indeed....great job defining morality while answering to the question of whether god is moral or not?.

Back