IS GOD AN ALIEN?

The bible does not contradict itself every other page. When looking at the bible, people must realize that it was written by people over thousands of years. So, yeah, some contradictions exist. I bet if you collected the most important historical (or religous) documents of the past 3,000 years, a lot of innacuracies and contradictions would exist.

I am not saying that genesis, the flood, the parting of the reed sea, or any of the other popular tales are historical. But, yes, much of the bible is accounts of the jewish kindom of Israel and the surrounding empires, then later it is accounts of the two, split, jewish kingdoms and the surrounding empires. Many of the kings described in the bible appear to have existed, and in the context they were described in the bible.

Of every contradiction that I have seen reported about the bible, it has always been some type of mis-interpretation. I have seen long conversations on that aspect alone, where many specific contradictions have been laid out, only to be dispelled by someone with a strong theological background. At first, the contradictions seem strong and on the mark. However, after basic interpretation, they are found not to be a contradiction after all.

That's just the bible for ya. It's texts are very open to interpretation. One will see enlightenment, another will see BS. Another will see fairy tales, another will see truth. I guess one could say that whatever you see in the bible, is a reflection of yourself. Much like inkblots, or clouds.

I'm no theologist (not by any stretch of the imagination), but there is indeed deeper meanings in the bible. If one is only able to percieve contradictions, don't expect to see anything else. Is it the communicator's fault (words of the bible) ? Or, is it the perceiver's fault (the reader/interpreter) ?

Oh, and an answer to the question of the thread, is God an alien: No, not if you take the phrase that man was created in His image. If we are truly of His image, then he would not be alien to us. But that all depends on how you interpret alien. I'm going on one of Webster's interpretations of alien: "unlike one's own; strange". That is of course, if God exists, and that he created us of His image.

[This message has been edited by Doood (edited December 12, 1999).]

Doood,
How can you say that? What proof do you have that that phrase is true??? And from eye witness accounts aleins bassikly do look like us, two arms, legs, and eyes. They are around the same height, they have similar mouthes and hands. Besides why would any race just make an exact copy of themselves from scratch. Wouldn't you make a few changes?

From the guy who can critize the strongest ideas.
-Dude

------------------
DUDE IS SATAN

Llama,

If this were Usenet, I would have kill-filed you a while ago for having been such a waste of time. Don't expect any more answers to your questions from me.

Now that we are on the cusp of the new millenium, technology and science are making leaps and bounds unequalled in the past. The ability to clone and pretty soon when the entire dna structure is mapped, actual genetic manipulation. But for all these things, we still do not have control of the laws of mathematics or physics. They are intangible and eternal; just like the bible says, "Those things which are seen are eternal, and those things which are unseen are temporary." I do believe that the aliens are also creations of God. Why would he make such an incredibly vast universe with so many stars (and apparently planets too) if He wanted only Earth to have life? But I also believe that the Christian religion is correct. I've read the bible cover to cover and parts of it over and over again. There isn't any contradictions from what I've seen.

------------------
There is no such thing as subjective truth.

Doood,
:p Glad I won't hear from you again- now let's test what you said--

#* yours you %a@t$r& --- answer,come on answer, you know you wanna, HAHAHAHA hehehe :D

bah,
Thanks for the great "voice your mind" post man. (no critism ment)

------------------
DUDE IS SATAN

Ok no contradictions huh? Ok here we go:

Old Testiment = Eye for an Eye Tooth for Tooth etc...
New Testiment = Turn the other cheek

Contradiction? Nah *L*

The rainbow after the whole flood the earth thing and Noah's Ark crap was supposed to promise the God would never destory the earth again but if you read Revalations he promises that he will destroy the earth and start over

Hmm... Contradiction? Can't be...

"Through out your life I will walk beside you, but in times of need do not look beside you for me, for I will be carrying you" What the hell is that crap? Fat lot of good that did for Job

Misprint? HAH!!! I spit on thee misprint...

What a load of stinky poo

------------------
DEATHJESTER

"Love your country, but never trust it's government" - Robert A. Heinlein

Yes Deathjester, you're knowledge and understanding of the Bible is a big load of stinky poo. If you're going to argue something, or denounce something, or criticize something, I find that it's best to actually understand what the hell it is you're talking about. You obviously, and don't feel bad cause all kinds of people do this, don't understand jack about the Bible. Maybe it's arrogant of you to assume that you could take a look at a few verses, not seek help in understanding, make a snap judgement, and then open your mouth? Yea, it might be a little arrogant. Maybe I can help you....

First, are you unaware that Jesus was alive in the new testament and not in the old????? Hello? Everything changed when Jesus came!!! There was no CHRISTiantiy before the CHRIST. Before Jesus was born, it was impossible to atone for sin through repentance in Jesus name. In the old test, they had to atone for sin in all kinds of ways that seem crazy to us now. The old testament is Judaism, the new is Christianity. If you didn't know that then by all means, you should be seeking knowledge of the word, not trying to argue it. :)

Also, when God gave us the rainbow after the flood, what He said was that He wouldn't destroy the earth BY FLOOD again.

You really don't understand what Jesus meant by "carrying us" through times of trouble? I find that hard to believe. You really don't know what that means? Well He does carry me through troubled times. You would certainly have to be a spirit-filled Christian to experience this for yourself, but not one to at least give your mind a little stretch and try to understand it. When bad things happen in our lives and we're not saved in Christ, then it is EVERYTHING to us, and affects us in a much worse way, because we have nothing else to look to for hope, understanding, and help. When you are saved in Christ, HE IS EVERYTHING, and the bad things that happen on this earth are not less painful at times, but are easier to withstand because of the love, hope, and understanding that HE gives you. I mean, the way I look at it is, what's the worst that could happen? I die? ROFLMAO!!!!! It's not that the things of this world become less important, but it's definately a new perspective that brings peace to know that the things of this world are not all that we have. I hope this helps. And just some advice...if you're going to reject something, make sure that you understand what it is that you are rejecting exactly. Otherwise you may miss something BIG! If you ever have questions, or things you don't understand about the faith, I would love to try my best to explain them to you. Peace, brotha!

------------------
"ET phone home!"
"Uh, hello Satan?"
"Hey, your plan worked great! They all think I'm cute!"

Bah,

>> There is no such thing as subjective truth.

Unless of course one is omnipotent.

[This message has been edited by Doood (edited December 24, 1999).]

Religion is the greatest crowd control ever

And remember all religions where made by men

And for your information Lori
I have read the bible front to back many times...helps you pass the time in your cell...umm...I mean... small room...yeah

I have read the bible, I have attend sevices for most religions, and I have even made Preachers and Rabbi's cry and leave the church never to be seen again in this area...

I know my fair share of religion. I still think that someday they are going to find a missing page from the bible that belongs at the front and reads to the effect of:

"To my darling wife, You helped more than you can imagine.

All characters and events portraid herein are fiction and any resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is entirely coinsidental"

I would laugh my friggin @$$ off.

------------------
DEATHJESTER

You're betting your life on the existance of such a lost page? Well, that's very ballsy of you, considering the odds, or the probability of you being correct in your assumption. Which are about 0%. I don't think that you WANT the Bible to be true, but just because it may make things inconvenient for you, doesn't means it's not the truth. Scary huh? It's not really all that bad. It's not bad like you think it would be. You're thinking about giving up all of your vices or sinful acts and how much your boring Christian life is gonna suck, just like I used to, and just like many do. All I can say is that I'm saved now, and I'm still the same person. My perspective has changed, so my resulting behavior changes too, but only because I WANT it to, not because I'm being forced into something that I don't really want. If your perspective and your thinking changes, then your life does too, poof, like magic, that's just the way it works. You're just a being a chicken shit. ;)

------------------
"ET phone home!"
"Uh, hello Satan?"
"Hey, your plan worked great! They all think I'm cute!"

Deathjester,

>> Religion is the greatest crowd control ever

Actually, at first glance, it is. However, like any organization, that all depends on what the unified thoughts are of the organization.

Just think of all the terrorist groups that are motivated by religion. Well, I guess you could say that blowing people up is a kind of crowd control, but I'm sure that is not the kind you had in mind.

Actually, any organized group (such as a religion) could be very dangerous. This due to the number of paricipants, and the fact that they are all committed to a single plan. An example: Just think of how many protestors there were at the WTO meeting, and how many police there were. Obviously, the amount of protestors 'far' outweighed the number of enforcers. Yet, the police were able to subdue the protestors. How ? Because the enforcers had a unified plan and direction (along with past training), while the protestors just came to protest, and for the most part did not have a unified plan for anything other than to protest in peace (buncha cows waiting to be herded). If that same number of protesters had instead unfified around a plan to purposefully bring down the enforcers, and all were commited to do just that, then there would have been a lot of dead and badly injured cops (massacre), and I'm sure there would be a huge escalation from the government to bring in troops to contain the situation.

The government would rather have everybody as individuals, instead of grouping up in an organization or religion. Just think of all the monitoring the government does on groups of different natures, such as certain kinds of religions. It's because those groups can be very dangerous, depending on what the game plan is.

[This message has been edited by Doood (edited December 26, 1999).]

Searcher,

Nasty stuff. I guess that's what happens when the government cares far more for itself, than its own people. I'm going to edit my previous message to fit this possibility.

[This message has been edited by Doood (edited December 26, 1999).]

It isn't that I don't WANT to do anything.
I just don't give a flying fuck at a rolling donut.

You can even ask my step-brother, he knows me well enough.

...hehehe...

------------------
DEATHJESTER

Lori,

First, are you unaware that Jesus was alive in the new testament and not in the old????? Hello? Everything changed when Jesus came!!! There was no CHRISTiantiy before the CHRIST. Before Jesus was born, it was impossible to atone for sin through repentance in Jesus name. In the old test, they had to atone for sin in all kinds of ways that seem crazy to us now. The old testament is Judaism, the new is Christianity. If you didn't know that then by all means, you should be seeking knowledge of the word, not trying to argue it.

Seems like we were given the shaft from the start. Only given crazy and insane ways to atone for our sins. One last thought. Jesus was the son of god, yes? Then Jesus had to come and fix his father's mistakes?

------------------
My life could have been black and white, but I had to color it.

Lori,

Your statement that Jesus wasn't alive in the Old Testament brings to mind an interesting point. There's one thing regarding eternal life that's confusing to me (okay, maybe more than one thing). That is, if one has eternal life, wouldn't that mean there is no beginning or end to that life? And if that is the case, we either have it or we don't, regardless of whether or not we're "saved"? I mean, it doesn't make much sense for God to turn around and say we can't have eternal life because we didn't believe in Jesus. If life has an ending, then it had to have a beginning, too - in which case it wouldn't be eternal anyway. Know what I mean?

------------------
www.indigenousrocks.com

Back