Is God a tyrant? (If he exists)

hns64 said:
If God is all-powerful and 'perfect', then why did he create us humans to be so insignificant in comparison to him.
The Proud Muslims response to this question could not be better put, and I haven't seen any response that satisfactorily dismisses it. The one about "I am as big as my dad now" or something like that does not compute. In a general sense... if you use that analogy... we have to reach a certain stage spiritually before we can become like God.
Surely God, loving us as much as he does, would have made us equal to himself. It doesn't matter to me whether we may cause problems with this power as "I would rather live 1 day as a tiger than 100 years as a sheep" (or something similar).
There is nowhere in the observable universe where the process of development is not apparent. We can become more like God, but first we have to get over our aversion to him, our disbelief.
For a God to create us to be so weak and powerless he must have either been rather imperfect or power-hungry/partially evil.
You use perfect here... but can you please define to the forum what a 'perfect' God would be?
"An absolute ruler who governs without restrictions."
The fact that you have a free will to choose not to believe in God makes that statement somewhat irrelevant. If God was an all powerful tyrant who ruled without restriction... then... you would have no free will.

hns64 said:
When considering God I look at the world from his eyes.
How exactly can you do this? You yourself have concluded that we are nowhere equal to God in status, how can we perceive things equally then?

Thanks for your thoughts MarcAC.

How do you mean when you say we have to reach a certain stage spiritually before we can become like God. Do you mean ascertain perfection of our intent and our morals or that we would actually have significant control over anything. I've never seen it stated that we become God's after a certain period of time.

Again, do you believe we become God-like (ability wise) at the end of the spiritual road.

A perfect God is definitely hard to explain. For me a perfect God would hold the virtues which I aim towards achieving while being all-powerful. These virtues of mine include selflessness, a strong sense of equality and an intent to do good and help others.

I also still believe the definition of a tyrant which I have used is still applicable. I don't see any restrictions in God's ability even though we can choose to think he is an evil dictator. And what has free will been able to do for us? According to Christian's it all basically boils down to believing in God or not. Whoever believes in him gets his reward and whoever disagrees/disbelieves in him is sent to eternal damnation.

Sounds like a master beating his slaves to me. The slaves can choose not to do as he wishes, but that doesn't mean the slaves don't get their beating at the end of the day. Too bad the slaves have a chance to rebel.

Reasonably it must be similar to owning and maintaining an ant farm for instance. I can give them food and treat them right or I can pour petrol on the entire thing and throw a match at them. If the ants have any beliefs they probably believe that I am some sort of God as I seem so large and powerful. That's the closest I can get and it's close enough for me to realise that God wouldn't be the smartest in the class.

MarcAC said:
The Proud Muslims response to this question could not be better put, and I haven't seen any response that satisfactorily dismisses it. The one about "I am as big as my dad now" or something like that does not compute. In a general sense... if you use that analogy... we have to reach a certain stage spiritually before we can become like God.

Yes, it would follow from my example that we must reach a God-like state. I don't recall any Christian text (except for some scant gnostic writing) that even comes close to saying we can become Gods. In fact, we are quite the opposite - born into a world of "original sin," tainted by the misdeeds of our ancestors, and doomed to certain Hell if we do not adopt the correct (denominations vary wildly) beliefs about God. Actually, if you take my analogy to its logical conclusion, one day I will become more powerful than God.

My reply was merely meant to show the inherent flaws of the original analogy.

MarcAC said:
There is nowhere in the observable universe where the process of development is not apparent. We can become more like God, but first we have to get over our aversion to him, our disbelief..

I don't believe we're talking about the same idea of God here. The God of Christianity is not one of "development"; he is one of creation and destruction, namely ours.

MarcAC said:
The fact that you have a free will to choose not to believe in God makes that statement somewhat irrelevant. If God was an all powerful tyrant who ruled without restriction... then... you would have no free will.

I think I might be headed into Chomsky territory with this answer, but stick with me ;) . An all-powerful tyrant need not kill everything in sight (though he has that power), but he needs to subdue all dissent that is deemed a "threat." The notion that God has allowed us free will to deny him while on earth is not evidence that he is somehow just or democratic. The afterlife is supposedly the "final court," as it were, where we will be judged, and nothing in the Bible suggests this will be anything like what we term a "fair" trial.

I don't think I or hns64 are suggesting that God restricts every aspect of our existence like some Thought Policeman. Any tyrant can allow for mild forms of dissent (usually to trick people into thinking they really have a choice), but at the end of the day, they have no real power. They have no say. They can agree and be rewarded, or disagree and be punished. This is not freedom; it is simply another form of control.

Fish in a bowl have a choice to believe or not believe the man who feeds them is God. They are allowed certain freedoms. They can swim in whatever direction they please (within limits). They can choose to spawn or not, etc. But none of this changes the fact: they are still fish in a bowl.

Josh

====================
"It's just a ride." - Bill Hicks
====================

Last edited:
hns64 said:
Surely it is better to look like a clown than act like Hitler ;).
It looks better for you, not for me.

I think that God would not be multiplying himself. I have only meant abilities (sorry if I made it seem like something else) and as free will would still be allowed then his creations wouldn't be mindless clones.
With abilities equal to that of God and free will you and me would be Gods and that looks odd. Whether God would behave like a clown to do such things.? BTW, by clones i mean exact replicas with freewill, in effect the other Gods.

I do not believe that God should just be allowed to do whatever he chooses as in the past this has led to some quite poor decisions. He has a responsibility in creating us and I believe that he has abused this.
Shall we put God on trial.?!!

The closest example I can think of is scientists creating a test tube baby with only one limb - God has restricted us by much more in comparison though. I don't see how we can just draw the line for God just because he's some sort of special case.
This argument is for refuting creation theory by way of pointing out poor design. Since God's is allowed (or presumed) to exist in this thread i would say, give due credit to God and don't assess his nature by your standards and notions. By the very definition of God, he is not in need of drawing any pleasure, in this case a sadistic one as you percieve. I would not comment on or expect something that is far complex to behave as per my likings and notions. Being in separate existance and seeking equality with God looks naive to me. In other words you want to become alternative God.

"Kill one man and you are a murderer. Kill many men and you are a conqueror. Kill all men and you are a God."

and

"Why should I follow the rules of God for raising my childen when he's killed millions of his own own."
None of the murderer or conqueror or those parents can give satisfactory answer for their actions when God demands.

BTW, your parents still beat you.? :D

Proud_Muslim said:
The answer is very simple, when you were born, were you born the same size as your dad?
Just a quick interlude.

This answer brings to mind a few quick questions. 1. Are you suggesting that man can become as great as or greater than god as children often overshadow their parents? 2. What about the process of learning and growth is better than being created as fully realized? 2a. In this sense are we then greater (at least in potential) than god who does not have the capacity for growth? 3. Do you think god will be pleased, as a parent is, when man grows beyond him?

Curiously,

~Raithere

Hehe, thanks for another good post everneo.

It looks better for you, not for me.

I was really quite shocked by this comment... I didn't know what to think at first.

I live in the United Kingdom where there are two very odd parties in the diplomatic system. The BNP (British National Party) and the RLP (Raving Looney Party). The former has the intention to deport all foreigners from our multi-cultural society and frequently overstep the line into quite obvious racism while the latter is just for a laugh, is lead by a clown and always put a smile on my face. Though the BNP are far from Hitler's level of racial hatred, I have to admit that I would support the Raving Looney Party if I ever had a choice between the two. I would rather see theme parks than death camps is pretty much my point.

With abilities equal to that of God and free will you and me would be Gods and that looks odd. Whether God would behave like a clown to do such things.? BTW, by clones i mean exact replicas with freewill, in effect the other Gods.

Freewill is what seperates us from other humans though, not our colour or any other factor. That is the reason why we would not be clones.

If he existed then I certainly would for crimes against humanity. But of course he isn't going to have that happen. His number one interest is to stay in power and not face up to his actions. To me, God is a harsh dictator and if we as humans with our terrible sinful souls do not accept one on Earth, then why should we have to for something that is supposedly 'better' than us.

By creating something which can think for itself, God is responsible for our creation. I will assess God and criticize people's ideas of Him until someone creates an acceptable counter-argument and that hasn't happened yet. I was not in many peoples 'shoes' who I criticize with hindsight but I try to understand things in their perspective and after looking at the evidence I'm pretty certain I'll be pretty close. My point is that if God exists then he is a tyrant and therefore imperfect and therefore easily capable of enjoying a sadistic pleasure. Maybe he is just power hungry.. maybe he isn't all-powerful, but he definitely wouldn't be perfect - and I would want the same status for everyone as they all deserve an equal ability to myself, while God can't seem to understand that idea.

None of the murderer or conqueror or those parents can give satisfactory answer for their actions when God demands.

Neither can God when the question is reversed.

Hi hns64

hns64 said:
Freewill is what seperates us from other humans though, not our colour or any other factor. That is the reason why we would not be clones.
Free will is also what separates us from God, ironically. A creation cannot be anything but a "creation" and God cannot be anything but "God". It was not God's intention to create mini-me's, but beings who would live and function autonomously.

You measured God against certain virtues that you yourself consider important, and you found Him wanting. But have you wondered where those virtues come from, and why you expect God to embody them as they would be embodied if you could perfect them? Maybe you are confusing God with 'life'. Life as we know it is unfair, indiscriminate, imperfect and incomplete. It seems to be in some kind of unholy league with death. That's from our perspective, yet you project it onto God as if you invented and were the final authority on morality.

That's not to say you don't have a case. Job had the same gripes. If there ever was anyone who could have expected God to behave like "God", it was Job. But the tables were turned when God wanted to see if Job would behave like "Job". God did not humiliate Job with His answer, He humbled Him. We have much to be humble about. The surprising thing is that God considers this a strength - something that exposes our vulnerability and makes us human, something that magnifies who we are. Sacrifice.

If he existed then I certainly would for crimes against humanity. But of course he isn't going to have that happen. His number one interest is to stay in power and not face up to his actions. To me, God is a harsh dictator and if we as humans with our terrible sinful souls do not accept one on Earth, then why should we have to for something that is supposedly 'better' than us.
You must know a different God than I do, because God would not have humiliated himself if his main interest was to "stay in power". In fact, the power of God seems to feature very little in human history - at least in the tyrannic aspect you imagine. We have examples of it - frequently mentioned as evidence of God's "evil" nature, like the great flood, the wars against Israel enemies, even the two bears who mauled 42 people. But they're almost laughable displays if you really think about it - they're only threatening because they represent things we have no control over. All point to one thing: our powerlessness against death. If you wanted one exhibit to argue God's benevolence or malice, it's death. All possible calamities or unfairness pale against it. So maybe you should clarify what you know about God's position on death.

By creating something which can think for itself, God is responsible for our creation. I will assess God and criticize people's ideas of Him until someone creates an acceptable counter-argument and that hasn't happened yet. I was not in many peoples 'shoes' who I criticize with hindsight but I try to understand things in their perspective and after looking at the evidence I'm pretty certain I'll be pretty close. My point is that if God exists then he is a tyrant and therefore imperfect and therefore easily capable of enjoying a sadistic pleasure. Maybe he is just power hungry.. maybe he isn't all-powerful, but he definitely wouldn't be perfect - and I would want the same status for everyone as they all deserve an equal ability to myself, while God can't seem to understand that idea.
God has accepted responsibility for creating us. That much is evident from the Bible. But do we accept responsibility for being creations? Isn't that what you are questioning here by asking whether we should not be gods by our own right, equal to God himself? Aren't you trying to deny that we are creations of God, and by definition not equal to Him. You next reply illustrates the fallacy of this:

Can we, as creations, re-create life? And I don't mean in a test tube - that might even be possible - but our own kind of life; our own lives? Can we promise to defeat death and give life to someone we know? Can we give it to nothing, take it again, and then give it back? The kind of existence we lead prevents us from it. We might discover immortality, but can we discover invulnerability? Would we still act like humans if we did? Think about it - if people were emotionally and physically indesctructible, what place would love and compassion have? We won't be able to commit murder or be murdered, but even as a hypothesis it's obvious how soon we'll discover just how inhumane we can become. After all, being rejected socially and personally will be much worse than death.

If we were to become "gods", how much more damage would be be able to do if what was really the problem was never addressed? Hasn't God in his wisdom gave us just the right amount of vulnerablility to appreciate the things that He considers as steps towards perfection, love and faith, and enough strength to be able to survive and prosper in a life that treats us with indifference, and promises only death?

I'll summarize - don't confuse life with God. Life promises nothing but what we expect from it. God promises life, and He is the only one capable of giving it. If you expect life to treat you or anybody else as God would have, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Last edited:
hns64 said:
I was really quite shocked by this comment... I didn't know what to think at first.
I neither agree that God is a tyrant like Hitler nor i wish him to be a clown.

But you see him as a tyrant and wish him to be a clown rather than a tyrant.

You see, you have restricted yourself to just 2 options. Hence you are having shock. I am no admirer of Hitler.

Are we talking about 'equality with God' or 'equality among humans'.? I don't think God ever expressed that humans are not equal among themselves.

My point is that if God exists then he is a tyrant and therefore imperfect and therefore easily capable of enjoying a sadistic pleasure. Maybe he is just power hungry.. maybe he isn't all-powerful, but he definitely wouldn't be perfect
You seem to have a prejudiced window thro which you see God as a tyrant. Your axioms on God are subjective. I see no connection between tyrant, imperfect, capability of enjoying sadistic pleasure.
I would want the same status for everyone as they all deserve an equal ability to myself, while God can't seem to understand that idea.
As i said earlier in this post, you are oscillating between 'equality with God' and 'equality among humans'. If it is later i believe all humans are equal.

because you already condemned him as a tyrant hence he can't give satisfactory answer.? You are trapped in a circular logic with assumptions based on your subjective, limited view.

hns64,

"If God is all-powerful and 'perfect', then why did he create us humans to be so insignificant in comparison to him."

Hi hn64,

Everything that is created, is created for a certain time. Present day humans live an average of 80/100 years or so. According to the bible, the body is made of material elements, the animated life-force comes from God. Therefore the created aspect of life (the body) is only of value as long as the life force (soul/spirit) is existent within the gross body. The life-force itself is qualtitively the same as God, but is minute (not insifnificant) in comparison. A good analogy is if you take a drop of water from the atlantic ocean, it will have all the properties of the ocean, but cannot be compared to its vastness.
The insignificance lies in our understanding of our selves.

For a God to create us to be so weak and powerless he must have either been rather imperfect or power-hungry/partially evil.

We are only weak and powerless because we have allowed ourselves to become slaves to our senses.

Therefore I consider that if God were to exist, he would be a tyrant as I would consider the common definition of a tyrant is,

"An absolute ruler who governs without restrictions."

How can you claim Him to be a tyrant, use that definition to descibe a tyrants actions, and then say "if God were to exist", even though there is no evidence to suggest that this world/universe is governed by tyranny. That means you are judgeing Him on a charge that has yet to be verified, what to speak of His existence, from your perspective. It is almost as if you have come here to seek support and justification of your own imaginings, from people who are of similar mindset.
You've probably given no thought as to how it is you have the ability of imagination and judgement, or how it is you can question in this way without being checked by your own inabilities.
If you are seriously enquiring about God, then do so from a neutral position and allow your natural human intelligence to discriminate freely.

I'd like to hear your ideas on this subject as that as always been a problem in understanding the rationality of God in religion.

Then asked pertinent questions instead of loading them with your pre-concieved ideas and notions.

Jan Ardena.

Thanks for your reply Jenyar.

Free will is also what separates us from God, ironically. A creation cannot be anything but a "creation" and God cannot be anything but "God".

I am only saying that we should have been created with equal abilities to God and this should easily be possible as he is considered by most as being 'all-powerful'.

You measured God against certain virtues that you yourself consider important, and you found Him wanting.

I do not believe that God would have created inferior beings... I just cannot understand His judgement on this one. And I don't believe giving is a weakness, it is simply a moral course of action.

You must know a different God than I do, because God would not have humiliated himself if his main interest was to "stay in power". In fact, the power of God seems to feature very little in human history - at least in the tyrannic aspect you imagine.

I am sorry if I have not mentioned this enough before but as most of the religious people I know are Christian and I create my arguments based upon the bible. When I have referred to God being tyrannical I take this view because of his specific actions mentioned in the bible - not any suffering that has happened to me though possibly some which my friends endure.

Two examples of the harsh atrocities commited by the 'tyrannical' God I am trying to explain are:

Sodom and Gamorrah - a nuclear explosion is usually considered the closest example of what happened here. Both of these cities were destroyed for ungodly acts which mostly seem to include homosexuality.

"He prepared a meal for them, baking bread without yeast, and they ate. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom - young and old - surrounded the house. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them." (Genesis 19:3-5) - I have serious doubts as to whether that is an accurate account.

"By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. Then The Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah - from The Lord out of the heavens. Thus He overthrew those cities and the entire plain, including all those living in those cities - and also the vegetation in the land. But Lot's wife looked back and she became a pillar of salt." (Genesis 19:23-26)

"In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire." (Jude 7)

A little harsh for his own children.

and....

The Tower of Babel:

"Now the whole earth had one language and few words. And as men migrated from the east, they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there. And they said to one another, 'Come, let us make bricks, and burn them thoroughly.' And they had brick for stone, and bitumen for mortar. Then they said, 'Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.' And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the sons of men had built. And the LORD said, 'Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; and nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them. Come, let us go down, and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.' So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city.' Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of all the earth; and from there the LORD scattered them abroad over the face of all the earth." (Genesis 11:1-9)

Hmm, I'd like to hear someone explain how God wasn't power-hungry in this case of events.

I know I'm just pasting bible quotes with small sentences after them but to me they're pretty much self explanatory.

I'll summarize - don't confuse life with God. Life promises nothing but what we expect from it. God promises life, and He is the only one capable of giving it. If you expect life to treat you or anybody else as God would have, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

For me it is the other way round. I would say that every person I have ever met is better than God as I cannot see them, even with all the power in the world, killing people for sexual preferences which are fine with consenting partners or be worried if a group of their simple, weak creations began to work together for a common good.

You do raise some good points though and it's the best explanation of its kind I've heard so far - but I still don't buy it.

Jenyar said:
You must know a different God than I do, because God would not have humiliated himself if his main interest was to "stay in power". In fact, the power of God seems to feature very little in human history - at least in the tyrannic aspect you imagine. We have examples of it - frequently mentioned as evidence of God's "evil" nature, like the great flood, the wars against Israel enemies, even the two bears who mauled 42 people. But they're almost laughable displays if you really think about it - they're only threatening because they represent things we have no control over. All point to one thing: our powerlessness against death. If you wanted one exhibit to argue God's benevolence or malice, it's death. All possible calamities or unfairness pale against it. So maybe you should clarify what you know about God's position on death.

So great floods (i.e., genocide), multiple wars (i.e., ethnic cleansing), and bears ripping apart children are laughable, huh? I don't imagine they were laughable to those involved.

Death, indeed, is the shadow under which we live our lives. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say eternal torture is what people are really afraid of.

As for the argument that we are simply prejudiced and foisting our unfair, humanly values on God - what other choice to do we have? To look at things from God's perspective? We've already established that as impossible. The fact is everyone believes in God as s/he sees fit. You will believe whatever strikes you as correct, whether it is for logical, emotional, ethical, or philosophical reasons.

You are correct that we are viewing God through human-colored glasses, so to speak, but so, I caution, are you. The only difference is you are prepared to allow that God may have some "divine plan" as to why mass murder is neccesary. We are simply saying that, by our meager (and supposedly inferior) means of meting out justice, God qualifies as a human rights abuser and tyrant.

He rules by intimidation and threat. (Do this, or go suffer eternally.)
His judgment is final. (No chance for parole in Hell.)
And he will not allow for an equal to exist. (Hegemony at all costs.)

Josh

====================
"It's just a ride." - Bill Hicks
====================

It depends what god you're referring to, and there's certainly many to choose from. Some, like the biblical god- don't take any shit from humans, whereas some others are truly compassionate and would not harm their creation no matter what they did.

YHWH is not the nicest of the bunch- but he isn't the worst either. There are gods that drag people to the heavens in order to eat them etc..

As long as those gods have the balls to say "I don't take any shit from humans" and not sugarcoat it, that's fine. I just can't take any more of these "compassionate conservatives."

Josh

======================
"It's just a ride." - Bill Hicks :m:
======================

hns64 said:
I am only saying that we should have been created with equal abilities to God and this should easily be possible as he is considered by most as being 'all-powerful'.
What abilities would those be? I propose one of our biggest problems is that we have the abilities - gifts - of life, love, imagination, patience, virtue, morals, of being able to adapt, feel, create, reason, plan, distinguish, communicate, sacrifice; but we don't exercise the responsibility that comes with these things - the consequences of sharing our lives with others - the application of life. The meaning of being human.

We know what God did with His abilities when He lived as a human. He demonstrated that we have everything we need to be like Him, but we don't know how to do it because we don't know Him well enough. He humiliated Himself to humiliate everybody who ever thought they were close to being "enlightened" and "godly".

We thought what we needed was to be more like God, while what we needed was to be more like us. For that reason, at least, God did not make us gods, or angels, or animal... He made us uniquely human - with everything that comes with being human.

I do not believe that God would have created inferior beings... I just cannot understand His judgement on this one. And I don't believe giving is a weakness, it is simply a moral course of action.
And I agree with you. The idea that Christianity portrays humanity as a failed experiment - an inferior sample of what God could have created - is a lie. When David asks God why He created us "a little less than heavenly beings" (Psalm 8), it wasn't an indictment, it was a realization of wonder. Our failings don't make us flawed, they make us human - but giving into them, giving ourselves over to things that are not godly, makes a mockery of ourselves and of God.

The reason people are cynical about humanity is because they know what is possible - maybe that is even the reason some are mad at God for not "getting us there"; they expect religions should exemplify what God is capable of, and they don't. Why do we have to suffer climbing the mountain when God could have put us there? Why do we have to climb back down again, why are there mountains at all... on and on until there are two opponents left: God and you. And you know what? God stepped down. He calls His people "Israel" (meaning 'he fought with God') and lets us decide where we want to be and go. Isn't that what we wanted? Not to live under a tyranical ruler with restrictive laws. Because God knew those laws were just a learning school - the real world demands freedom. Love demands freedom.

But love also demands love, and that is one law God will not relinquish... which brings us to the objections raised by you and JustARide.

Sodom and Gamorrah - a nuclear explosion is usually considered the closest example of what happened here. Both of these cities were destroyed for ungodly acts which mostly seem to include homosexuality.

and....

The Tower of Babel
Genesis 18
20 Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21 that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."

Ezekiel 16
49 'Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me.'

JustARide said:
So great floods (i.e., genocide), multiple wars (i.e., ethnic cleansing), and bears ripping apart children are laughable, huh? I don't imagine they were laughable to those involved.

Death, indeed, is the shadow under which we live our lives. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say eternal torture is what people are really afraid of.

As for the argument that we are simply prejudiced and foisting our unfair, humanly values on God - what other choice to do we have? To look at things from God's perspective? We've already established that as impossible. The fact is everyone believes in God as s/he sees fit.
I don't know if it struck anybody as curious at all, but all these calamities ("evils from God" as people would have it) have one common characteristic: they were natural disasters. Listen to this description:

Genesis 19:28 He looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah, toward all the land of the plain, and he saw dense smoke rising from the land, like smoke from a furnace.

Does it sound like something beneath the cities might have had something to do with the rain of sulphur? All these disasters follow the same pattern: God warns people impending disaster and the seriousness of sin, and yet they persist. There is always a chance to escape or postpone His judgement.

But they have another thing in common - and that to me is the defining characteristic: they all concern people who had faith in God. And the accounts related in the Bible were no doubt by people of the same faith in the same God. Maybe biased, but does that mean they were wrong? The Sumerians, after all, had their own version of the great flood, and the Tower of Babel was very likely a Sumerian ziggurat. But their gods have no concept of "sin".

My point is, the evidence that "encriminates" the God of the Bible in these events are, specifically, that Israel is in some way involved, and generally that sin is in some way involved. It's easy to use these events as "proof" of God's cruel rulership, but forget that they were no worse than those we see today. The worst of them all - the flood - has left so little trace that many people doubt it even happened. And yet accounts of a great deluge is found in hundreds of cultures world-wide, all associated in some way with their cultural deity.

But what encriminates humanity in these events are just as clear: our sins. Wars were part of life, but not everybody threatened Israel. Natural disasters were as common as they are today, but not everybody were saved. Bears mauled people as often as ever, but not always in a prophets of God's presence. What these events are, is exactly what they seem to be: exceptions to God's rule - exceptions prompted by sin.

If you don't take sin seriously after hearing them, they really have no meaning to you. As isolated events they don't tell you anything more about life, God or your own situation than you are already willing to believe. If they comprise the total of what you are willing to believe about God, then as Job's wife said: just curse God and die.

On the other hand, if you are willing to pay attention to the peculiarities: from their being completely contained and controlled in a context of divine justice, to the incomprehensible form of survival they depict, you might realize that they are fearful, frustrated shouts about how important faith in God can be. Shouts with echoes in eternity. But without the ingredient of faith, they are nothing more than religious accounts of the everyday suffering we see around us every day of our lives.

hns64 said:
For me it is the other way round. I would say that every person I have ever met is better than God as I cannot see them, even with all the power in the world, killing people for sexual preferences which are fine with consenting partners or be worried if a group of their simple, weak creations began to work together for a common good.
I hope what I have said will at least make you wonder whether some avenues of life, whether they are "sexual preferences" or just human weakness, nontheless reflect upon who you are, and may have consequences that put you in harm's way. To those people who wanted Job to hand over his visitors for sex, it might have been a normal and acceptable form of initiation - how do you know how bad it was? If Job offering his daughters to them in stead was even remotely acceptable even to a "righteous" man, I'd say it was pretty bad. How threatening were the Amalekites to God's promise of delivering the Israelites into Canaan?

How did the building of a ziggurat with a "portal to heaven" at the top affect the spiritual future of humanity? Remember, this was the "world" through which God wanted to fulfil His covenant. And they considered temple prostitution as the highest form of service... the way to help men become gods. From Enkidu and the Princess

"We've been together for six days and seven nights, Enkidu, so now you have Wisdom! Now you are as a god! But there is much, much more: I bid you to come to Uruk of the strong walls, to Inanna's [Ishtar's] Temple of Love, and to the Eanna, [the High Chamber in the ziggurat, the Holy of Holies,] where the Sky God An can be found.

Of course, just like in the case of Sodom and Gomorrah, spritual misalignment and sexual promiscuity were just a symptoms of a deeper problem. You can read this for more indepth research about the Tower of Babel.

Different languages only forced people to put more effort into dealing with each other, rather than trying to become gods by means that would end up destroying them (imagine what effect AIDS would have had on the cradle of mankind). Language would be no great obstacle to man or God's plans with him - the disciples 'speaking in tongues' was a direct reversal of what happened at Babel.

People die, whether they are perfect, faithful, or neither... natural disasters will always claim innocent and less innocent lives. But only God can give back any of those lives. Without the promise of resurrection and eternal life, those people were just as lost as any of us, no more. Sure, object to God's punishments if you like, but make sure you do it out of faith, not out of fear.

If anything, the moral of these disasters is that people who trust God have nothing to fear - not even His judgment.

I cannot sum it up any better than these words:

Ezechiel 16
59 " 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will deal with you [Jerusalem (as an allegory)] as you deserve, because you have despised my oath by breaking the covenant. 60 Yet I will remember the covenant I made with you in the days of your youth, and I will establish an everlasting covenant with you. 61 Then you will remember your ways and be ashamed when you receive your sisters [Sodom etc., (because your sins were even worse than theirs)], both those who are older than you and those who are younger. I will give them to you as daughters, but not on the basis of my covenant with you. 62 So I will establish my covenant with you, and you will know that I am the LORD.

63 Then, when I make atonement for you for all you have done, you will remember and be ashamed and never again open your mouth because of your humiliation, declares the Sovereign LORD .' "

Last edited:

That's not up to humans. That's up to gods creator, (God God).

God God realised that he was alone in the universe and wanted some companions to play with and torment, so he created a being in his own image from space gasses and thus God was born. Further on down the line god too got bored, realising God God was far beyond his comprehension, so he created humans in his own image. Further on humans realised god was far beyond their comprehension so they created artificial intelligence.

But of course, all of this was in God God's original plan.

We know what God did with His abilities when He lived as a human.

Yes, his half human/half god counterpart did wonderful little magic tricks. He walked on water, temporarily killed himself for a laugh, etc..

He demonstrated that we have everything we need to be like Him

Webbed feet?

He humiliated Himself

How so?

SnakeLord said:
Yes, his half human/half god counterpart did wonderful little magic tricks. He walked on water, temporarily killed himself for a laugh, etc..
If his miracles are the only things you noticed about Jesus' life, then 90 percent of his significance was lost on you.

By putting himself on trial...

Back