Is eating meat morally wrong

if that was really your view, you would be a vegetarian.

No, not everyone can be a vegetarian. And exactly as many livestock would be kept and killed if I were a vegetarian. My main problem lies with killing wild animals.

I don't eat a lot of meat.. about 50 grams a day. And some days I don't eat any meat at all.

Enmos said:

Fish is meat in my book, I don't understand the distinction.

I've never paid that much attention to it. I always thought it was a Catholic thing, to be honest.

If you look at it from the perspective of "if you don't need it then its wrong to kill and eat it" you're going to find most animal treatment evil

I've never paid that much attention to it. I always thought it was a Catholic thing, to be honest.

Well, to me it's fairly simple:

meat
–noun
1. the flesh of animals as used for food.

fish
–noun
1. any of various cold-blooded, aquatic vertebrates, having gills, commonly fins, and typically an elongated body covered with scales.
2. (loosely) any of various other aquatic animals.

ver·te·brate
–noun
3. a vertebrate animal.

:shrug:

Hector the Ham

Source: Slog
Link: http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/01/how_to_kill_a_pig
Title: "How to Kill a Pig", by Bethany Jean Clement
Date: January 23, 2008

Food critic Bethany Jean Clement recently attended what might seem a bizarre event, the slaughter of a pig:

A week ago Sunday, a couple dozen people paid $40 each to go to a farm in Port Orchard, watch a pig die, butcher it, and then eat (parts of) it. Watching animals die (or killing them personally) is the latest trend for chefs—see this New York Times piece—but this event, put on by Seattle's Culinary Communion, was open to the public.

The pig was named Hector and insistently referred to as such, even when very dead, a conceit I found precious. You don't name a ham ....

(Clement)

Perhaps it sounds like a morbid spectacle, a gimmick to increase revenue in troubling days for American farms, but Clement describes a grave, largely respectful, and slightly surreal gathering.

This child tried the mulled wine, which was, in fact, nearly undrinkably sour. (Yes, the kind of monsters that bring their children to watch animals die also let them have sips of alcohol.) I choked down a couple cups to steady my nerves before Claycamp shot the pig in the head ....

.... Most of those in attendance had some experience with hunting or killing chickens on a farm or suchlike. It was a stoic crowd: I didn't see anyone besides me crying when the pig was shot, and I thought of my grandma, an Angus cattle rancher, and cut it out immediately.

I'd heard that the pig might scream horribly, but Claycamp (not a regular gun-shooter, looking pale and grave) got a very clean, close-range shot with a .22 after thanking everyone for coming "to celebrate the life and demise of Hector." The pig died having just eaten some melted ice cream, rice, and hamburger bun slop. Claycamp got kicked in the ear hard during the pig's (brief, silent) death throes. Revenge!

(ibid)

And, strangely, Clement noted, most of the people who attended the $55 dinner where they served Hector the pig as the main course were not present at the slaughter. Likewise, most of those at the slaughter did not attend the dinner.

Perhaps it seems like an odd choice of family events, but the kids apparently seemed more fascinated than anything else. At least one was openly enthusiastic. ("Right about now, the saw-wielding man asked Claycamp, 'You want me to saw through the head?' Before Claycamp could answer, a kid yelled, 'YEEEEAAAAH!')

Memories for a lifetime: Left to right, from fascination to trepidation.
(Photo: Reena Kawal)

As the aforementioned New York Times article notes, though, being a witness to the slaughter is a rising trend in this current age of food awareness. Julia Moskin reported:

.... in front of 4 million television viewers and a studio audience, the chef Jamie Oliver killed a chicken. Having recently obtained a United Kingdom slaughterman's license, Mr. Oliver staged a "gala dinner," in fact a kind of avian snuff film, to awaken British consumers to the high costs of cheap chicken.

"A chicken is a living thing, an animal with a life cycle, and we shouldn't expect it will cost less than a pint of beer in a pub," he said Monday in an interview.

"It only costs a bit more to give a chicken a natural life and a reasonably pleasant death," he told the champagne-sipping audience before he stunned the chicken, cut an artery inside its throat, and let it bleed to death, all in accordance with British standards for humane slaughter ....

.... Leading chefs like Mr. Oliver, Dan Barber and David Burke seem to be wallowing in — and advertising — a new intimacy with the animals they cook. Not long ago, chefs got credit simply for knowing the breed of the pigs or chickens they served. Pork from Berkshire pigs was the must-have meat status symbol, and chefs engaged in nose-to-tail competition to use the most parts of the animal. Now, it seems, intimacy with the animals during their life — and preferably, their death — is required.

Many chefs believe absolutely that meat from happy, healthy animals tastes better. But it's not all about what's on the plate: they also believe that if they're going to turn a pig into a plate of pork chops, they should be able to look it in the eye, taking responsibility for both the treatment it receives in life and the manner of its death. "The question is, how and why should we care about an animal when we are going to bloody eat it?" Mr. Oliver asked his audience.

(Moskin)

And while fashion currently dictates that conscience—or a convincing facsimile thereof—is good for business, it's also good for our health. In the case of animals slaughtered for food, there are a number of benefits for witnessing the slaughter. The educated consumer is less likely to suffer the warping effect of emotionally-driven vegi-moralists who seek gratification by abusing meat consumers. And animals raised to slaughter in appropriate conditions, while purportedly more comfortable and more humanely slaughtered, are also less likely to be afflicted with any number of diseases that at once endanger the consumer and make a moot point of killing, say, a cow for food. Bovine spongiform encephalitis—a.k.a. "mad cow disease"—for instance, is widely blamed on cannibalism, which, in the case of cattle, arose for the convenience of the beef industry:

Mad cow disease started in Britain after cattle were fed meat-and-bone meal, a protein supplement made from offal from cattle and sheep. This practice had been going on for some time before BSE appeared, but in the early 1980s the way in which offal was processed changed – the high temperatures and the quantities of chemical solvents used to sterilise the material were reduced slightly. This may have allowed the disease agent, which is very resistant to all forms of sterilisation, to survive. The origin of BSE is not known: It may have been a spontaneous case of BSE arising in cattle or scrapie in sheep. The most important part of the cause, however, was the use of intraspecies recycling (or cannibalism carried out as a regular practice) in the cattle industry, which allowed repeated cycles of transmission and amplification.

(Australian Academy of Science)

The moral question is, of course, more complex, in part because moralists insist it should be:

Some agricultural ethicists believe that if animals could lead comfortable lives and die completely free of fear and pain, raising and killing them would not pose an ethical problem; a few believe in an unwritten "domestic contract" between humans and our domesticated species that includes killing. Others maintain that killing animals is inherently unethical because it cuts off their opportunities for "future good experiences," according to Dr. Richard Haynes, the editor of the Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics.

Chefs feel they are in a prime spot to grapple with the issues. "It's our responsibility and our privilege to educate our customers," said Charlie McManus, the chef-owner of Primo Grill in Tacoma, Wash., who has visited his meat supplier, Cheryl the Pig Lady, in the nearby Puyallup River valley. "A lot of them don't want to hear it, but that's just sticking your head in the sand."

Following the broadcast, Mr. Oliver was both praised and attacked by animal rights groups for the killing that took place on stage. "It's nothing that doesn't happen millions of a times a day" he said. "There was no need to make it any more dramatic than it is."

(Moskin)

The celebrity chefs are even better positioned than the locals to make certain points. While watching the slaughter might shake some people emotionally, animal rights extremists might find themselves losing traction in the face of more moderate arguments about the future of human food consumption:

Mr. Oliver and his compatriot Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, a chef, farmer and butcher known for his intimacy with food sources, made last week's broadcast the culmination of a media campaign called Chicken Out. In a similar stunt, also televised last week, Mr. Fearnley-Whittingstall set up his own miniature factory farm for chickens. He raised free-range chickens next door, making comparisons as the chickens grew, were killed and eaten. Like Hillary Clinton, his eyes welled up on television last week — in his case, while killing unwanted birds in the factory unit.

In Mr. Oliver's show, "Jamie's Fowl Dinners," he served up many shocking moments: he suffocated a clutch of male chicks according to standard egg industry procedure, in a chamber of carbon dioxide; stuffed birds into the crowded, filthy "battery" cages that house 95 percent of the country's chickens, and showed a computer-altered baby picture of himself, grossly engorged to represent the rapid growth of a baby chick on a factory farm.

But the most shocking of all may be his revelation that price wars have squeezed the profit margin of the modern poultry farmer to about 6 cents a bird. Mr. Oliver's message to supermarket shoppers is clear: the only reason for the miserable lives lived by most chickens is your insistence on cheap food. After the broadcast, as reported in the British press, supermarkets across the United Kingdom quickly sold out of free-range eggs and chickens.

(ibid)

Some would propose a species-wide alteration of the human species according to moral aesthetics; we call them moral vegetarian advocates. They would propose that we have a moral obligation to stop consuming animals. It is not clear to what degree there is a delineation or factionalization between ovo-vegetarians, lacto-vegetarians, lacto-ovo-vegetarians, and vegans. Perhaps, soon, anti-abortion advocates will stand by, scratching their heads in puzzlement as militant vegans attack their ovo-vegetarian neighbors as murderers.

While many would, as the British response to the Chicken Out campaign suggests, agree that food animals ought to be treated better, it seems a strange proposition—counter-evolutionary, even—that these species should be elevated to a more prominent position than our own. While moral vegetarian advocates would accuse species bias of their meat-eating neighbors, the hue and cry seems at least slightly absurd. The proposition that our species should use its intelligence to weaken itself before nature defies the evolutionary struggle for perpetuation. And, yes, a weakening of the species would be the result if the moral vegetarian advocates were to triumph. Their bigoted condemnations comparing meat consumption to rape and denunciations of omnivory as an issue of mere gratification extend the issue beyond one of their own personal choice. They are demanding other people meet their moral standard. And if that standard ever comes about, the simplest, most observable result will be that the human species eventually will be unable to consume certain foods that it once could. The range of our compatibility with nature would be reduced, and our adaptability likewise diminished. And all for what? A moral assertion?

An associate points out that at some point, meat will be produced in a laboratory so that the slaughter of animals would become obsolete. And while this sci-fi alternative presents a host of ethical considerations of its own—e.g., as they're trying to make it so that you can't get plain old corn or wheat anymore, who will pretend that lab-grown, cloned steaks will be simply that, and not "enhanced" with foreign genetic code in order to chemically alter consumers—the proposition will remain merely theoretical if we choose the so-called "moral" alternative and injure our species for aesthetic gratification.

For the rest of us, though, awareness seems the more rational route. Perhaps a few, upon watching their favorite cut of meat slaughtered and butchered, will undertake an aesthetic reformulation of their diet, but as Ms. Clement noted:

Overheard at the end:
"So are you going home a vegetarian?"
"Fuck no."

(Clement)

See Also:

Moskin, Julia. "Chefs' New Goal: Looking Dinner in the Eye". NYTimes.com. January 16, 2008. See http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/dining/16anim.html

Australian Academy of Sciences. "Prions – morphing agents of disease". Nova: Science in the News. June, 2006. See http://www.science.org.au/nova/003/003key.htm

I don't get why it's perfectly normal to kill an animal, but the worst thing you could ever possibly do is kill a person. Human are animals too! I think we should be treated the same (or worse) as other animals. Human just destroy the Earth and kill animals "for food" but there are so many other things for us to eat than meat!

I don't get why it's perfectly normal to kill an animal

Because eating them before you kill doesn't work so great, particularly if you want to cook them.

but the worst thing you could ever possibly do is kill a person.

Yes because humans have to be killed in pairs.

I think we should be treated the same (or worse) as other animals.

That can be arranged.

there are so many other things for us to eat than meat!

Yes, they are called side dishes and taste great with meat.

I don't get why it's perfectly normal to kill an animal, but the worst thing you could ever possibly do is kill a person. Human are animals too! I think we should be treated the same (or worse) as other animals. Human just destroy the Earth and kill animals "for food" but there are so many other things for us to eat than meat!

Way to go LedZep, you have just underlined the problem with atheists and morality without long drawn out debate.

jan.

Back