Is eating meat morally wrong

Orleander said:
and the difference is enormous. Its why I eat them
Let me get this straight... you eat animals because they differ in self-awareness ??
Because that's what you said.. :shrug:

Let me get this straight... you eat animals because they differ in self-awareness ??

I wouldn't eat an ape, but I have no problem eating deer. Both are wild animals. I'm not gonna eat an animal that mourns the loss of a another.
I also don't eat lamb or veal.

I wouldn't eat an ape, but I have no problem eating deer. Both are wild animals. I'm not gonna eat an animal that mourns the loss of a another.

How do you know if an animal you do eat doesn't mourn ?

You eat meat because:
1- You 'need' it, minerals & vitamins.
2- It is commonly accepted.
3- You like the taste.

If it was commonly accepted to eat apes or people for that matter, you'd eat them too.

How do you know if an animal you do eat doesn't mourn ?

You eat meat because:
1- You 'need' it, minerals & vitamins.
2- It is commonly accepted.
3- You like the taste.

If it was commonly accepted to eat apes or people for that matter, you'd eat them too.

And yes, I do eat meat for those reasons, but there are reasons for which animals I will eat. I have never seen a cow, pig, or deer mourn. I've seen elephants, apes, pets mourn. You show me an animal that mourns and I won't eat it.

Its accepted to eat veal and lamb. I can't do it. I can't eat babies.

And yes, I do eat meat for those reasons, but there are reasons for which animals I will eat. I have never seen a cow, pig, or deer mourn. I've seen elephants, apes, pets mourn. You show me an animal that mourns and I won't eat it.

That is a personal choice. On the whole what I said is true. You most probably would eat people if it was commonly accepted even if they are 'mourning creatures'. You just wouldn't know any better.

You did not answer my question about how you know the animals you eat do not mourn..

...You most probably would eat people if it was commonly accepted even if they are 'mourning creatures'. You just wouldn't know any better.....

Why do you assume I blindly follow what others do, I blindly do what I am told? Vegetarians were raised to eat meat and they decided not to. I was raised to eat meat and I decided I never want to be a vegetarian.

....You did not answer my question about how you know the animals you eat do not mourn..

I haven't seen it. I'm one of those 'prove it' kind of people. You prove a cow or deer mourns another member of their herd (like elephants do), I'll quit eating them.

Why do you assume I blindly follow what others do, I blindly do what I am told? Vegetarians were raised to eat meat and they decided not to. I was raised to eat meat and I decided I never want to be a vegetarian.
In a society in which you are raised with eating people there are less reasons to deviate than vegetarians have (meat = meat)

I haven't seen it. I'm one of those 'prove it' kind of people. You prove a cow or deer mourns another member of their herd (like elephants do), I'll quit eating them.
You're just making it easy for yourself lol But that's ok I guess.. most do anyway, me included.

oh please, when i bought my son his first pet, the pet shop owner said it is to live alone, because they dont play nice with other animals

There's an interesting take on the eating meat issue (Sorry if anyone has already cited this)

Maddox (2002)

Guiltless grill? Is there another kind?

I was looking over a menu in a restaurant the other day when I saw a section for vegetarians; I thought to myself "boy, I sure am glad that I'm not a meat-hating fascist" and I skipped on to the steak section (because I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $15 for an alfalfa sandwich, slice of cucumber and a scoop of cold cottage cheese), but before I turned the page something caught my eye. The heading of the vegetarian section was titled "Guiltless Grill," not because there were menu items with fewer calories and cholesterol (since there were "healthy" chicken dishes discriminated against in this section), but because none of the items used animal products. Think about that phrase for a second. What exactly does "guiltless grill" imply? So I'm supposed to feel guilty now if I eat meat? Screw you.

What pisses me off so much about this phrase is the sheer narrow-mindedness of these stuck up vegetarian assholes. You think you're saving the world by eating a tofu-burger and sticking to a diet of grains and berries? Well here's something that not many vegetarians know (or care to acknowledge): every year millions of animals are killed by wheat and soy bean combines during harvesting season (source). Oh yeah, go on and on for hours about how all of us meat eaters are going to hell for having a steak, but conveniently ignore the fact that each year millions of mice, rabbits, snakes, skunks, possums, squirrels, gophers and rats are ruthlessly murdered as a direct result of YOUR dieting habits. What's that? I'm sorry, I don't hear any more elitist banter from you pompous cocks. Could it be because your shit has been RUINED?

That's right: the gloves have come off. The vegetarian response to this embarrassing fact is "well, at least we're not killing intentionally." So let me get this straight; not only are animals ruthlessly being murdered as a direct result of your diet, but you're not even using the meat of the animals YOU kill? At least we're eating the animals we kill (and although we also contribute to the slaughter of animals during grain harvesting, keep in mind that we're not the ones with a moral qualm about it), not just leaving them to rot in a field somewhere. That makes you just as morally repugnant than any meat-eater any day. Not only that, but you're killing free-roaming animals, not animals that were raised for feed. Their bodies get mangled in the combine's machinery, bones crushed, and you have the audacity to point fingers at the meat industry for humanely punching a spike through a cow's neck? If you think that tofu burgers come at no cost to animals or the environment, guess again.

To even suggest that your meal is some how "guiltless" is absurd. The defense "at least we're not killing intentionally" is bullshit anyway. How is it not intentional if you KNOW that millions of animals die every year in combines during harvest? You expect me to believe that you somehow unintentionally pay money to buy products that support farmers that use combines to harvest their fields? Even if it was somehow unintentional, so what? That suddenly makes you innocent? I guess we should let drunk drivers off the hook too since they don't kill intentionally either, right? There's no way out of this one. The only option left for you dipshits is to buy some land, plant and pick your own crops. Impractical? Yeah, well, so is your stupid diet.

Even if combines aren't used to harvest your food, you think that buying fruits and vegetables (organic or otherwise) is any better? How do you think they get rid of bugs that eat crops in large fields? You think they just put up signs and ask parasites to politely go somewhere else? Actually, I wouldn't put that suggestion past you hippies. One of the methods they use to get rid of pests is to introduce a high level of predators for each particular prey, which wreaks all sorts of havoc on the natural balance of predator/prey populations--causing who knows what kind of damage to the environment. Oops, did I just expose you moral-elitists for being frauds? Damndest thing.

A number of people have pointed out that the amount of grain grown to feed animals for slaughter every year is greater than the amount of grain grown for humans. So I guess the amount of grain grown for human consumption suddenly becomes negligible and we can conveniently ignore the fact that animals are still ruthlessly murdered either way because of your diet, right? Not to mention that the majority of grain grown for livestock is tough as rocks, coarse, and so low-grade that it's only fit for animal consumption in the first place. Spare me the "you could feed 500 people with the grain used to feed one cow" line of shit; it's not the same grain. Then there are the people who jump on the bandwagon with "you could plant billions of potatoes on the land used for cows"--good point, except for the fact that not every plot of land is equally fertile; you think farmers always have a choice on what they do with their land? Also, many vegetarians don't know (or care to acknowledge) that in many parts of the United States they have "control hunts" in which hunting permits are passed out whenever there is a pest problem (the pest here is deer, elk and antelope) that threatens wheat, soy, vegetable and other crops; this happens several times per year. Then some of you throw out claims that "we are trying to limit the suffering." How about you limit MY suffering and shut the hell up about your stupid diet for a change; nobody cares. Even if the number of animals that die in combine deaths every year isn't in the millions, even if it's just one, are you suggesting that the life of one baby rabbit isn't worth saving? Are you placing a value on life? Enjoy your tofu, murderers.

594,738 vegetarians don't know what cold-blooded murderers they really are.

Not my views, but i think the man has a point.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=grill

Read the section on "Claiming their rights" here: [enc]equal consideration[/enc].

(Haven't I explained this to you before? What did you not understand?)
I read it. I understand it. I don't agree with it.

Your link says we should give equal consideration to like things. But humans and animals are not the same. People have rights, animals do not. They are things, not people.

You argue that the ability to suffer is the characteristic that gives one "rights". I do not agree. Rights are a creation of human beings that define how we should interact with each other. Not with animals.

Rights are based on natural law, or a social contract.

Under natural law, no being (including humans) can consider itself safe from being eaten by any member of another species it encounters. If I'm out at some swamp, asserting my "right" to not be eaten will do little to dissuade a hungry gator.

But humans are a social species. We need to work together and to be able to trust each other. So we created "rights". We agreed to honor each other's rights (under the "social contract) with the stipulation that no one would then violate our rights.

Animals can not understand the concept of rights. They will not abide by any social contract. They are not part of human society. They are either wild animals, or property.

If we come into contact with some intelligent alien species and establish peaceful relations, then they would also be protected by "rights". But if the intelligent aliens decide humans make good eatin', what good do our "rights" do us?

Rights only exist within the context of a society willing to protect them, and whose members agree to abide by them. Animals can no more have rights, then they can have a driver's license. It's beyond their capabilty.

Last edited:
So God gave you your brain?? I understand now why you think its immoral. I suppose you think animals have a soul as well?

My brain, that I got from evolution, tells me to pick porterhouse streaks and get them med rare.

then you're not using your brain too well since your mandible jaw, absence of proper meat eating teeth, an inability to eat decomposed flesh, the presence of sweat pores, weak stomach acid, longness of intestine and a host of other biological indications indicate that somewhere along the line of evolution you took a radical change from your run of the mill carnivore

Orleander:

I'm confused as to how you decide what to eat and what not to eat.

So the wild/not wild distinction isn't important to you. Capacity to mourn apparently is. Why is capacity to mourn a deciding factor for you?

So eating baby animals is wrong? Why, if you eat the adults with no problem?

I have never seen a cow, pig, or deer mourn. I've seen elephants, apes, pets mourn. You show me an animal that mourns and I won't eat it.

This sounds like "out of sight, out of mind" to me. How many cows have you actually watched when they have lost a calf? I'm guessing zero. How many pigs have you watched when they've lost a friend? I'm guessing zero. How many deer have you watched when a fawn has died? I'm guessing zero.

What's the difference?

madanthonywayne:

I read it. I understand it. I don't agree with it.

Your link says we should give equal consideration to like things. But humans and animals are not the same.

Yes, they are, in all the things that matter to decide the morality of eating their meat. In particular, they have the same capacity to suffer pain, and they all have a sense of self as an ongoing entity which values its own existence.

People have rights, animals do not. They are things, not people.

You're begging the question.

You have not established that animals are just "things", while people are somehow not "things". What's the deciding criterion, according to you, which separates things from non-things?

You argue that the ability to suffer is the characteristic that gives one "rights". I do not agree. Rights are a creation of human beings that define how we should interact with each other. Not with animals.

What's the defining characteristic that defines why a human infant has these rights while an adult cow, say, does not?

Rights are based on natural law, or a social contract.

Under natural law, no being (including humans) can consider itself safe from being eaten by any member of another species it encounters. If I'm out at some swamp, asserting my "right" to not be eaten will do little to dissuade a hungry gator.

This is an example of the "appeal to nature" fallacy, once again.

But humans are a social species. We need to work together and to be able to trust each other. So we created "rights". We agreed to honor each other's rights (under the "social contract) with the stipulation that no one would then violate our rights.

Human infants and intellectually disabled people cannot agree to this "contract" of yours. Is it ok to eat them?

Animals can not understand the concept of rights. They will not abide by any social contract. They are not part of human society. They are either wild animals, or property.

Are human infants property, too, to do with as we please?

If we come into contact with some intelligent alien species and establish peaceful relations, then they would also be protected by "rights". But if the intelligent aliens decide humans make good eatin', what good do our "rights" do us?

This is a moral argument, not an argument about ability to enforce. Besides, the measure of a moral person is how he treats those he has power over, not how he deals with those who have power over him, surely?

So the wild/not wild distinction isn't important to you. Capacity to mourn apparently is. Why is capacity to mourn a deciding factor for you?

Because I can't. That's a level of self-awareness that I don't want to eat.

So eating baby animals is wrong? Why, if you eat the adults with no problem?

If I EVER said it was wrong, I mis-spoke. I said I couldn't, not that others shouldn't. They're just babies, I can't eat babies. Some people can't eat meat, I can't eat babies. But I never sit on my high horse and demand that others do as I do.

This sounds like "out of sight, out of mind" to me. How many cows have you actually watched when they have lost a calf? I'm guessing zero. How many pigs have you watched when they've lost a friend? I'm guessing zero. How many deer have you watched when a fawn has died? I'm guessing zero.

I grew up on a farm in a hunting family. I've seen cows defend a dead calf. I assume a deer would do the same with a dead fawn. I've also seen cows abandon their calves and pigs eat their young. When a mother who has just given birth is raging with hormones, I discount standing over the dead baby as mourning. Its instinct.

So I guess you need to keep guessing. :p

nnnn

Yes, they are, in all the things that matter to decide the morality of eating their meat. In particular, they have the same capacity to suffer pain, and they all have a sense of self as an ongoing entity which values its own existence.
I find the idea that the ability to suffer as the basis of rights to be perverse. Tell me, would a person with hereditary sensory and autonomic neuropathy have no rights? These diseases result in an inability to feel pain. So these people never suffer. It can be so severe in some cases that they will chew off body parts.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/01/27/rare.conditions/index.html

If we intentionally bred livestock with this disorder and ate them, would that meet with your approval?
You have not established that animals are just "things", while people are somehow not "things". What's the deciding criterion, according to you, which separates things from non-things?
The deciding criterion is that humans are humans. Beings with a level of intelligence high enough to acknowledge and understand a social contract.

As I said, rights are a convention established by humans to allow for peaceful relations between ourselves. While it might be appropriate to extend these rights to other intelligent species we come across, it is wholly inappropriate to extend them to animals incapable of understanding or acknowledging the very concept of rights.

Infants and the disabled are protected by these rights solely on the basis of being human. Some societies, notably the Nazis, have done away with this convention and removed human rights from the disabled.

You might take note of the fact, however, that infants, children, and the disabled are accorded a much lower level of "rights" in accordance with their reduced capacity to understand the concept.

Children are, to a large extent, treated as property. So are the disabled. They must have someone to take care of them, or they become "wards of the state".
This is an example of the "appeal to nature" fallacy, once again.
No, it's not. By no means was I saying that everything natural was right. But our "rights" have some basis in "natural law", that is, in our nature as human beings. In the behavior of uncivilized humans. So any conception of "animal rights", should also be based upon the behavior of animals in the natural state.
Are human infants property, too, to do with as we please?
As I said, they are humans, but have fewer rights owing to their inability to understand or make rational decisions.

So God gave you your brain?? I understand now why you think its immoral. I suppose you think animals have a soul as well?

It doesn't matter whether it has a soul or not.It is also a living being like us.
don't you feel anything when you cut off it's head and boiling it's body.

As I said, rights are a convention established by humans to allow for peaceful relations between ourselves.

Given that it is a convention we can certainly extend this convention to include other species, perhaps for reasons that are not exactly the same as the reasons we extend them to humans. Perhaps these would be more focused on their ability to suffer, etc.

This seems like a perfectly viable option, in fact certain cultures and subcultures do do this.

You might take note of the fact, however, that infants, children, and the disabled are accorded a much lower level of "rights" in accordance with their reduced capacity to understand the concept.

But not in terms of their right to life or suffering. And practically speaking pet owners treat their pets with a similar morality. They control facets of their pets lives that they would not another adult human's but they do consider their pets as having rights to life and freedom from suffering. Attempts to go against these rights by another person will be met with unbelievable resistance.

It sounds like you are saying we can't really give them rights. But in fact we can and do, even wild animals.

To say we shouldn't seems odd too. If we want to where does this meta-ethics come in to say we shouldn't here but it was OK with humans. If the issue is practicality, well, again, one can point to numerous examples animals being granted rights working out just peachy for really a rather large number of people.

Much of these rights are legislated. We can argue about where the lines are drawn, but animals certainly are granted rights in related to unnecessary suffering in most Western nations. I see no reason not to view this conventions as right based. The laws were not passed to reduce damage to our ears from their screaming.

Back