Is eating meat morally wrong

I just came up with a really stupid but funny thought that I thought I would share with you all. firstly note I am a Vegetarian, my stance to eating meat is my physiology can't actually cope with eating it either in taste or digestion.

However thats not the thought, I realised that some of the arguements here have been about the "wrongful killing of animals" and I realised... perhaps there is another way. It's a proven way to aid the Obese to slim, is cosmetic surgery known as Lipposuction. I realised that perhaps the future is to stuff the animals full of food so they fatten up nicely and then just before they have a coronary you suck it all out and make your burgers with them. This saves the animals life, making you not such a bad person and feeds all you meat munchers on a high cholesterol diet.

How can all those cute baby lions be considered wrong? We must respect nature's wishes, and nature wants us to eat each other. People that fight this must hate nature.

Eating meat is pleasureable. Animals eat each other and, if given the chance, would gladly eat us. Hell, bacteria and viruses are trying to eat us all the time. Not to mention mosquittos, tics, tapeworms, etc. Why should we deny ourselves the pleasure of eating meat?

I think it would be morally wrong, if the animal you are consuming had morals. But if it was morally wrong to eat meat then we would have a subconcious making us more sympathetic towards it wouldn't it? Because aside from vegans i've never had remorse about eating a nice steak. But then again that could be a lack of morals on my part.

But even then, what are our morals to animals? Is it wrong for an bee to sting us, or a shark to take out the occasional surfer, or bear attack. I guess it's survival of the fittest, and i plan on getting pretty fit

madanthonywayne said:
Eating meat is pleasureable. Animals eat each other and, if given the chance, would gladly eat us. Hell, bacteria and viruses are trying to eat us all the time. Not to mention mosquittos, tics, tapeworms, etc. Why should we deny ourselves the pleasure of eating meat?

Eating meat is unethical because it supports the meat industry which makes money from cruelty to animals. Non-human animals eat other animals because they must to survive, us humans have a choice not to eat animals.

wsionynw said:
Eating meat is unethical because it supports the meat industry which makes money from cruelty to animals. Non-human animals eat other animals because they must to survive, us humans have a choice not to eat animals.
So if the meat industry was nicer to the animals, then eating meat would be OK with you?

Er... because humans have the ability to make ethical choices, perhaps?

James R said:
Er... because humans have the ability to make ethical choices, perhaps?
What is unethical about a nice juicy steak? It's only unethical if you overcook it or put ketchup on it.

JamesR said:

How can nature "want" something?

Forgive me, please, for not dredging through the topic for the specific reference, but I do recall that part of an argument against eating meat was that a cow "wanted" to live.

Hmm ... speaking of anthropomorphization ....

madanthonywayne:

What is unethical about a nice juicy steak? It's only unethical if you overcook it or put ketchup on it.

Read the thread and you might learn.

James R said:
madanthonywayne:

He did learn and he has the correct assessment. It is not morally wrong to eat meat. All you have provided is emotional arguments. You have not even provided a single viable logical argument. You may wish to base your morals on aesthetics, but the rest of don't need such pretty niceties. We have concrete moral standards that are complex but far more rigid and entrenched.

TW Scott:

He did learn and he has the correct assessment.

I think he can speak without your help.

It is not morally wrong to eat meat. All you have provided is emotional arguments.

That rationalisation must comfort you.

You may wish to base your morals on aesthetics, but the rest of don't need such pretty niceties.

Don't pretend you understood tiassa's argument.

We have concrete moral standards that are complex but far more rigid and entrenched.

You speak for the world's meat eaters do you?

James R said:
I think he can speak without your help.

True he can, but then again it is never bad to support those you share a view with

That rationalisation must comfort you.

You assume I need comforting.

Don't pretend you understood tiassa's argument.

I understood it much better than you ever will.

You speak for the world's meat eaters do you?

In case you missed it that is what is known in english as a royal we. Normally it just for myself, but it can include any who support my views.

Now if you are done with the attempted ad hominems, please explain why, without drawing on an emotional source or logical falacy why meat eating is so wrong. After all that is your claim. the burden is on you to prove it. The same it would be on me if I claimed that "Pink unicorns rule the Illuminatti."

James R said:
madanthonywayne:
I've read the thread. Nothing said trumps the biological fact that humans are omnivores. We are meant to eat meat, as well as plants. Period.
Humans are classic examples of omnivores in all relevant anatomical traits. There is no basis in anatomy or physiology for the assumption that humans are pre-adapted to the vegetarian diet.

As far back as it can be traced, clearly the archeological record indicates an omnivorous diet for humans that included meat. Our ancestry is among the hunter/gatherers from the beginning. Once domestication of food sources began, it included both animals and plants.

According to Dr. Alan Walker, a Johns Hopkins University anthropologist, Homo Erectus, the species immediately ancestorial to our own Homo Sapiens, had evidence of an omnivorous diet. Every Homo-Erectus tooth found was that of an omnivore. However, a small sample of teeth from the human-like species during a 12 million year period leading up to the Homo-Erectus period, indicates the earlier species may have been a fruit eater.

Our closest relatives among the apes are the chimpanzees (i.e., anatomically, behaviorally, genetically, and evolutionarily), who frequently kill and eat other mammals (including other primates). http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm
So we're omnivores, all humans since the dawn of time have been omnivores, even homo erectus was an omnivore. True, whatever hominid came before him may have been vegetarian. But it was probably his weak constitution from a lack of meat that allowed homo erectus to surplant him.

eating meat is only morally wrong if you have the luxury not to. A lot of people eat meat because thats whats in the supermarket.
A lot of people eat meat because it's the best source of protien, iron, etc. Yes we could move beyond meat, but we have to discover the foods or create them in a lab. Despite what people say, we aren't designed to be vegetarians, we have canine teeth.

TimeTraveler said:
eating meat is only morally wrong if you have the luxury not to. A lot of people eat meat because thats whats in the supermarket.
A lot of people eat meat because it's the best source of protien, iron, etc. Yes we could move beyond meat, but we have to discover the foods or create them in a lab. Despite what people say, we aren't designed to be vegetarians, we have canine teeth.

Eating meat is a luxury that we can do without. It's true that humans can eat meat, and our bodies are proof of this. However we are not designed as carnivores, and a meat rich diet can do more harm than good. There is plenty of evidence that proves vegetarians are just as if not more healthy than meat eaters.

TW Scott:

Now if you are done with the attempted ad hominems, please explain why, without drawing on an emotional source or logical falacy why meat eating is so wrong.

Re-read the thread. I'm not going to baby you any more.

madanthonywayne:

I've read the thread. Nothing said trumps the biological fact that humans are omnivores.

Biological fact doesn't imply a moral imperative.

Did you miss that? Maybe you need to go back and read my careful and informative explanations again.

Back