Is eating meat morally wrong

Meathead said:
He doesn't eat meat because in his opinion it is immoral. It's not a question of whether he enjoys it or not. If he honestly believes it's immoral don't you think he'd enjoy not eating more?

as long as he enjoys it to himself and doesnt preach others. Its like if someone was taking drugs...no harm done if that someone keeps the drugs to himself, but if that person decides to share the drugs and advocate of their nature, then thats were it becomes immoral.

And thus I have come to conclusion:

It is immoral for anyone to advocate what is moral

dragon:

You have been given 80 years or so on average to live on this planet, enjoy it to the fullest, keeping the world a happy place.

The world would be a much happier place without the senseless slaughter of animals for human greed.

Animals were ment to be eaten by humans, this is a human world, and this has been a human world right from the start of human civilization.

How self-centred you are.

James R AKA Meathead (sorry you can't fool a pattern recognizer)

Okay, so you have gotten so desperate you attack others for using the same tactics you have been and then you drag in a sockpuppet for a little false opposition. Oh, how original. I must appluad you on your tenacity for a moot argument.

It is this simple:

Eating meat in no way is morally wrong. Everything from the purchase, to preperation, to mastication is a clean and wholesome act. You can not find fualt one part of that with any immorality. So you turned on the raising and slaughter of feed animals. You found an article that speaks of how a infitesmally small portion of the meat industry is engaged in questionable acts and they you use it as "proof" that the whole meat industry is immoral. This is the worst from of chicanary I have ever seen.

When people call you on the carpet, you fling accusations at them. You use emotive arguments and sayings incorrectly. You confuse facts with your desires, and your desires with morality.

1: Just becuase a specific action is natural it does not mean it is moral or conversely immoral.

2: Morality deals with that which is regarded as right or wrong. The term is often used to refer to a system of principles and judgments shared by cultural, religious, secular (e.g. Humanist) and philosophical communities who share concepts and beliefs, by which people determine whether given actions are right or wrong.

These concepts and beliefs about right and wrong are often generalized and codified by a culture or group, and thus serve to regulate the behavior of its members. Conformity to such codification may also be called morality, and the group may depend on widespread conformity to such codes for its continued existence. Individuals who choose to conform in this way are popularly held to possess "moral fibre", whereas those who lack "moral fibre" may be labelled as socially degenerate. A "moral" may refer to a particular principle, usually as an informal and general summary with respect to a moral principle, as it is applied in a given human situation.

Morality can thus also be seen as the collection of beliefs as to what constitutes a good life. Since throughout most of human history, religions have provided both visions and regulations for an ideal life (through such beliefs characterized by 'the god(s) know what's best for us') morality is often confused with religious precepts. In secular situations morality can now be used in reference to such things as lifestyle choices, as these tend to represent an individual's conception of a good life, and the individual usually conforms to a set of beliefs within the lifestyle's community of like-minded people.

The systematic study of morality is a branch of philosophy called ethics. Ethics seeks to address questions such as how one ought to behave in a specific situation ("applied ethics"), how one can justify a moral position ("normative ethics"), how one should understand the fundamental nature of ethics or morality itself, including whether it has any objective justification ("meta-ethics"), and the nature and explanation of moral *capacities* or the ontogenetic development of moral agency (moral psychology).

For example, in applied ethics, the question of abortion being morally permissible is a current issue in United States society and politics. A common question in normative ethics is how one would go about justifying a lie, given that they think they are morally justified for the sake of protecting someone from harm. Do the terms "good", "evil", "right", and "wrong" make sense? Meta-ethics asks, how do we justify the existence of "good," or is it all relative and is morality simply a statement of one's preferences (i.e. through "cultural relativism")?

In any society there is a divergence between the notion of how we ought to behave and the reality of how we behave; so there is a difference between hypothetical punditry and real morality.

Both 1 and 2 are from outside sources 1 is from wherever James R stole it and 2 is from Wikipedia.

Last edited:
TW Scott:

Congratulations on managing to sink even lower than you already have.

TW Scott said:
James R AKA Meathead (sorry you can't fool a pattern recognizer)

Okay, so you have gotten so desperate you attack others for using the same tactics you have been and then you drag in a sockpuppet for a little false opposition. Oh, how original. I must appluad you on your tenacity for a moot argument.

Your pattern recognition abilities are obviously severely impaired. And your paranoia is showing once again. This is now the second time in this thread that you have mistaken me for somebody else.

Could it be, do you think, that certain people agree with me, and yet are not me? Think about it carefully. Also consider whether there may be many people who have a greater capacity for honesty than yourself.

Eating meat in no way is morally wrong. Everything from the purchase, to preperation, to mastication is a clean and wholesome act. You can not find fualt one part of that with any immorality. So you turned on the raising and slaughter of feed animals.

Correct. If you ignore the actual killing of the animal, you are ignoring the most morally significant part of the process which gets the meat to your plate. Can you not see that? Or do you just prefer to turn a blind eye?

You found an article that speaks of how a infitesmally small portion of the meat industry is engaged in questionable acts and they you use it as "proof" that the whole meat industry is immoral. This is the worst from of chicanary I have ever seen.

These lies are tedious, TW Scott, and consistently reveal you to be immoral in more ways than one. You obviously have no compunction about lying, along with eating meat.

To correct you once again: if you read back, you will see that the majority of meat produced in the United States comes from factory farms. To say it is a small portion of the industry which is engaged in immoral acts is a simple lie.

In fact, of course, the entire industry is engaged in moral acts. Factory farms are the worst of the lot, but the others are culpable too. Why? Because eating meat is morally wrong.

When people call you on the carpet, you fling accusations at them.

Like accusations of sock-puppetry, for example? Oh, wait, that was you (twice). Or accusations that the opponent is mentally unbalanced? Oh, wait, that was you too. Get a mirror and take a long hard look at yourself, TW.

You use emotive arguments and sayings incorrectly. You confuse facts with your desires, and your desires with morality.

Be specific. Quote me where I have done this.

1: Just becuase a specific action is natural it does not mean it is moral or conversely immoral.

I'm glad this point has finally got through to you. Hooray! One small victory. So, I won't be hearing another repeat of the "what is natural is right" argument from you, I assume.

2: Morality deals with that which is regarded as right or wrong. The term is often used to refer to a system of principles and judgments shared by cultural, religious, secular (e.g. Humanist) and philosophical communities who share concepts and beliefs, by which people determine whether given actions are right or wrong.

These concepts and beliefs about right and wrong are often generalized and codified by a culture or group, and thus serve to regulate the behavior of its members. Conformity to such codification may also be called morality, and the group may depend on widespread conformity to such codes for its continued existence. Individuals who choose to conform in this way are popularly held to possess "moral fibre", whereas those who lack "moral fibre" may be labelled as socially degenerate. A "moral" may refer to a particular principle, usually as an informal and general summary with respect to a moral principle, as it is applied in a given human situation.

Morality can thus also be seen as the collection of beliefs as to what constitutes a good life. Since throughout most of human history, religions have provided both visions and regulations for an ideal life (through such beliefs characterized by 'the god(s) know what's best for us') morality is often confused with religious precepts. In secular situations morality can now be used in reference to such things as lifestyle choices, as these tend to represent an individual's conception of a good life, and the individual usually conforms to a set of beliefs within the lifestyle's community of like-minded people.

The systematic study of morality is a branch of philosophy called ethics. Ethics seeks to address questions such as how one ought to behave in a specific situation ("applied ethics"), how one can justify a moral position ("normative ethics"), how one should understand the fundamental nature of ethics or morality itself, including whether it has any objective justification ("meta-ethics"), and the nature and explanation of moral *capacities* or the ontogenetic development of moral agency (moral psychology).

For example, in applied ethics, the question of abortion being morally permissible is a current issue in United States society and politics. A common question in normative ethics is how one would go about justifying a lie, given that they think they are morally justified for the sake of protecting someone from harm. Do the terms "good", "evil", "right", and "wrong" make sense? Meta-ethics asks, how do we justify the existence of "good," or is it all relative and is morality simply a statement of one's preferences (i.e. through "cultural relativism")?

In any society there is a divergence between the notion of how we ought to behave and the reality of how we behave; so there is a difference between hypothetical punditry and real morality.

This is plagiarised from wikipedia.

Please references your sources in future, and do not attempt to falsely pass off other people's work as your own.

MODERATORS! MODERATORS! Please realize that James R. has just plagiarized something from wikepedia...recognizing it as plagiarism is unacceptable. Where is justice here on SF? Why is this moderator not banned for not following the holy laws of this community? Or has Sciforums turned to favorism of veganism, just as racism?

James R said:
TW Scott:

Congratulations on managing to sink even lower than you already have.

Coming from you this is almost a compliment. Of course I still haven't managed to come down far enough to be at your level.

Your pattern recognition abilities are obviously severely impaired. And your paranoia is showing once again. This is now the second time in this thread that you have mistaken me for somebody else.

Could it be, do you think, that certain people agree with me, and yet are not me? Think about it carefully. Also consider whether there may be many people who have a greater capacity for honesty than yourself.

Actually no, my capabilities are right on the money. It is possible someone else has the same opinion as you, or was convinced. However to have the same writing style, vocabulary, and predilections....Too much coincidence. Not to mention he has only 18 posts. Occam's Razor says sockpuppet.

Thank you

These lies are tedious, TW Scott, and consistently reveal you to be immoral in more ways than one. You obviously have no compunction about lying, along with eating meat.

What lies? That I dare say that in my area there are no factory farms? That I have friends in several different agricultural states who can attest to a lack of factory farms. These are truths, though I can see how you would make a mistake. You want them to be lies.

To correct you once again: if you read back, you will see that the majority of meat produced in the United States comes from factory farms. To say it is a small portion of the industry which is engaged in immoral acts is a simple lie.

Bullshit, it is only if you go by the definition that any ranch that has it own processing equipment is a factory farm. The abuses you cited happen in a miniscule fraction of even those operations. It's like you take five hundred cases of people with Bipolar disorder who have murdered people and then say that every bipolar person is murderer waiting to happen. That just isn't correct, and you know it.

In fact, of course, the entire industry is engaged in moral acts.

Finally you slipped and told a truth.

I'm glad this point has finally got through to you. Hooray! One small victory. So, I won't be hearing another repeat of the "what is natural is right" argument from you, I assume.

Why? If you could read beyond a sixth grade level then perhaps you would understand what that statement meant. That it is not proof in and of itself but it can support points.

So? Does it make it any less valid? Did I say it was my work? No. I used it as a definition. Of course you decided to look it up becuase it was right and in being so proved your entire case moot.

The question if eating meat is moral is answerable in one word: depends.

If you think it isn't then for you it isn't. If you think it is then for you it is.

Society does have a role as well. Since Society as a whole sees it as moral then by definition of moral it is. You cannot argue around that. There is no appeal to compassion, justice, or emotion. Thousands of years agao we already went through that argument and came up with the workable answer. As society we decided eating meat was perfectly alright, we also decided that if certain individuals or groups want to not eat meat that was also perfectly viable. It's a perfect system.

TW Scott:

Your sock-puppet accusation is baseless. I need not defend myself further, since there is nothing to defend.

What lies? That I dare say that in my area there are no factory farms? That I have friends in several different agricultural states who can attest to a lack of factory farms. These are truths, though I can see how you would make a mistake.

Further dishonesty. I previously accepted your statement that there are no factory farms in your area. I have to take your word for that, since I don't live anywhere near you, and frankly I can't be bothered checking. On the other hand, not many of your statements have proven to be reliable, and it appears you are not above lying.

My previous statement as to the prevalence of factory farming in the US in general remains completely unrefuted by you. All you have provided so far is anecdotes.

Not that any of this is relevant to the central argument of this thread...

In fact, of course, the entire industry is engaged in moral acts.

Finally you slipped and told a truth.

Here, you jump on an obvious typo. Go ahead and enjoy this small, meaningless victory.

Why? If you could read beyond a sixth grade level then perhaps you would understand what that statement meant. That it is not proof in and of itself but it can support points.

You're contradicting yourself.

So? Does it make it any less valid? Did I say it was my work? No. I used it as a definition. Of course you decided to look it up becuase it was right and in being so proved your entire case moot.

Did you ever go to university? Did you ever write anything of your own for publication? I guess not, or you would appreciate why plagiarism is the epitome of dishonesty.

Again, I need to educate you on some basics:

Anything you write here is assumed to be your own opinions and you own work unless you specifically indicate otherwise. Thus, when you cut-and-paste a slab of wikipedia without acknowledging the original author, who is to know you didn't write it? What you are doing is attempting to take the credit for somebody else's time, effort and skill.

Since your morality is severely impaired, I doubt you'll ever come to appreciate why this action of yours was wrong. But who knows? One day you might grow some moral fibre.

Of course you decided to look it up becuase it was right and in being so proved your entire case moot.

I decided to look it up because it contained some actual content, and it seemed to be more intelligent than anything you've written so far in this thread. I doubt you could come up with anything of that quality on your own. And sure enough, you didn't.

By the way, since you obviously didn't understand what you cut-and-pasted, it doesn't refute my arguments in this thread in any way. In fact, I agree with the wikipedia entry.

The question if eating meat is moral is answerable in one word: depends.

Wrong word. The correct answer is: no.

Society does have a role as well. Since Society as a whole sees it as moral then by definition of moral it is.

Society as a whole doesn't see it as moral. In fact, the majority of society never considers whether it is moral or not.

There is no appeal to compassion, justice, or emotion.

Why is this forum titled "Ethics, morality and justice", do you think, if these things are unrelated?

dragon:

Look up "plagiarism" in your dictionary, and stop being so brainless.

TW Scott said:
James R AKA Meathead (sorry you can't fool a pattern recognizer)[/I]

You need to work on your deductive skills, you may disagree with him, but when did he invite you to read his entire comment? If you didn't like it you had the option to not read on. I chose to accept his argument even though it differed from mine. It doesn't make either one of us better, just you more of a senseless fool.

James R said:
dragon:

Look up "plagiarism" in your dictionary, and stop being so brainless.

Thats a direct insult on a member. This sort of behavior cannot be tolerated here on SF. You are calling other member of sf, a lesser being on sf cast, brainless. The laws of SF are such that no member shall be verbally abused. Why is this monstrocity being overlooked by other moderators?!

draqon said:
Thats a direct insult on a member. This sort of behavior cannot be tolerated here on SF. You are calling other member of sf, a lesser being on sf cast, brainless. The laws of SF are such that no member shall be verbally abused. Why is this monstrocity being overlooked by other moderators?!

I'm quite happy to insult you non-verbally, even if my apparent second identity is not. Maybe draw you a picture?

JamesR said:

So, if we could check the health of humans to ensure cannibalism wouldn't pass on any nasty diseases, then eating humans would be fine?

That's a big if. According to my moral structure, regular cannibalism among humans would be problematic. That "if" you propose poses a tremendous challenge to nature. I would have to spend some time studying prions, at least, before drawing a final conclusion. At present, however, the extremely low yield--even compared to cattle, buffalo, fish, &c.--makes an economic case against subsistence cannibalism. The difference between the Catholic eucharist as I understand it from attending a Jesuit school and ceremonial cannibalism is merely aesthetic; however, as I discount the validity of doctrinal Christian faith, I don't draw a moral conflict within Catholocism. Regardless of faith, it's still bread and wine. The cannibalistic symbolism of the eucharist, in the end, is only one of several reasons I don't reject outright the proposition that Christianity is, generally, a psychological disorder. As Mountainhare and I have discussed, there is a history of symbolic cannibalism in human history. Ironically, we look again to Christianity; while I don't think cannibalism for ritual or symbolic purposes demonstrates the kind of disrespect for humanity--one's own species--that will contribute none to a societal or cooperative human endeavor, perhaps the aesthetic degree of separation in eucharistic cannibalism is even unhealthier through reducing the value to a mere symbol and article of faith. While Europeans had much "help" from the diseases they unleashed, both accidentally and otherwise, the power of warfare--the ability to create death and destruction--helped fuel the dominance of the Euro-Christian cultural heritage in the Americas, including extinct empires.

While cannibalism persists among humanity, we acknowledge the observable fact that it has become unfashionable among the most modern cultures. As millions demonstrate throughout the first world, the symbolic removal of eucharistic cannibalism, however paradoxical or anti-intuitive the theology seems to some, still persists as a sublimated voice in the cultural expression. And yet the ability to create death and destruction has not only persisted, but thrived to species-threatening power. We are a murderous lot, humanity. This unhealthy regard for human life has no real upside in terms of the species, and while the ancient empires were not without their warfare and murder and stupidity, can we really blame the difference on technology and contact with the Orient? These considerations become complex enough to consider the state of modern China; a western journalist (NPR) in some village in China got a quote from a visiting district Party official regarding the village's orderly transition to what counts in that land as wealth: "If this is socialism, we want it." Was technology that much of a difference? It seems so. Is the ultimate cause of the loss of ancient Western empires merely technology? Did their violence simply not measure up? Did they not evolve as rapidly socially merely because of gunpowder? Or was there a complacency about their social-evolution pace that may have developed in response to such direct symbolic experience? Religion can trip up societies, you know. Nonetheless, there exists a sliver of an argument that symbolic cannibalism, necessesarily including a popular cult, might do the human species some good right about now.

I'm of the opinion, however, that mere deflection of collective resources from warfare to cannibalism probably isn't the answer to humanity's problems. I tend to believe that we are to protect and honor and try to understand our species. What possibly makes the evolution of conscience, or even the physical technology we have achieved, necessary? Weapons of mass destruction such as mustard gas or the like are considered wrong because they are indiscriminate; they seem a symptom of a disease unbound. And yes, there is an aesthetic aspect there; what the symbols mean, how they translate into the living experience is a tremendous question. That's why Huxley, for instance, is considered important; he understood, or at least was capable of expressing something about symbols that others lack. I would propose that the Huxley section we've discussed transcends issues of diet and morality; most of what we respond to are aesthetic aspects: the ugliness of death by gas; the savagery of Iraq beheadings; the recoil we show when we hear that the Nepalese combatants are skinning each other alive; my response to news of ongoing cannibalism ... I mean, sure, it's a dumb reason to be eating pygmies, but it should not just be the stupidity of the issue that makes it so visceral. Part of it is the aesthetics, and what each perception means to each human. Culturally, humans fear death, and we generally assert that it is natural that we should do so. Look at what that fear creates. I'm trying not to harp on the Germans here, but come on .... How many turned away because denial was a better view than the spirit of death itself? Such loathing of death; how many religions describe an eternal afterlife? How many modern subcultures mock death? How many drugs do I use before I'm daring death? Really: how high do I have to be? With enough drugs, we stop fearing death; many who achieve that benchmark then proceed to die.

Would symbolic cannibalism help society? I don't think so, but I'm not sold against it. Thing is, I just don't trust humanity with pop-cult undertakings.

But regular cannibalism among humanity has the appearance of presenting stumbling blocks for the general human endeavor. It is economically unsound; it is societally undermining well before that problem is ever even nearly rectified. And come on, "hockey-" or "baseball-dads" are obnoxious enough. Can you imagine the headline?

Second inning brawl ends little-league game
Wolves catcher's dad eats umpire, Tigers' first baseman.

I think regular cannibalism would contribute more toward a human regression. And I don't know if we can overcome Nature on this one. Like I said before: Nature asserts her rights.

And so it goes. You may be underestimating what we carnivores are capable of thinking and feeling. Or maybe it's just the scads of dope I've smoked over the years. The only things I can tell you for sure about cannibalism is that I don't understand why those footballers were so concerned with the theology. Then again, I'm not Catholic. There's plenty I don't know about the specifics of Catholicism.

JamesR said:

If you want the foundation of my argument, start with the Principle of Equal Consideration. Stated simply, it says: treat all lifeforms equally (in terms of rights and moral considerations) unless you can give a good reason for treating them differently.

I'm familiar with the notion, and will point out that, on the one hand, it is usually mystics of one or another philosophy (e.g. Hindu or Buddhism) that approach a proper manifestation, while to the other it is worth considering that they have achieved far different results than the comparably barbaric Western culture that is so arrogant as to hail itself the leading edge of the human endeavor.

So, are we, as in you and I, being immoral in even having this debate via computers which are products of that immoral, barbaric Western cultural heritage? And it's not just the Western, I know. But familiarity serves well enough.

Should we be more like those rare mystics, then?

(And the cows say, "Moooo!")

No, that's not the end-all. I see there's more:

Example: consider the right to vote. By the Principle of Equal Consideration, cows should have the samel right to vote as human beings, unless a good reason can be given for them not to have that right. Now, given that cows cannot understand human politics (as far as I can tell), nor seem to care about them, it seems to me that it is unnecessary to extent the right to vote to cows.

I've already covered the cows and voting. A couple times I think. When they assert their right to vote, it will be worth considering giving them the vote.

Now consider the right not to be eaten for the pure selfish pleasure of another animal.

When you use phrases like "pure selfish pleasure", you're being irrational and rather quite rude. Nonetheless, is that a right endowed by nature or by convention?

This right, too, should be extended to cows if we are to extend it to humans, unless a compelling reason can be given not to do so. Can you think of one?

That's a rather odd right, but "compelling reason" is a bit problematic. For instance:

Now, I don't think this foundation is just an "aesthetic standard". Please correct me if I am wrong.

And yet you'll eat plants because you believe they don't suffer. They do. But it's not a suffering you're familiar with; you do not recognize it in part because its manifestations are rather subtle. As Huxley explained: if you could perceive with your naked eye the sufferings of the plant, such a distinction between plant and animal cannot be made. The difference, the reason you don't advocate for the plants, is aesthetic. That it is a response to what you can perceive and construct a projected sympathy with, such as with death and animals, and, of course, the wretched conditions of economic provision, makes this issue rather aesthetic.

What is the compelling reason to destroy billions of bacteria? Might it be a personal or species bias? Is bias a compelling reason to set aside equal consideration?

"The species" is an abstraction.

Does the fact of your species mean nothing to you?

You don't know what is and what is not for the ultimate wellbeing of the (human) species.

At least I'm considering the issue. I can't possibly be the only one on the planet capable of doing so.

And why concentrate on the wellbeing of the human species to the exclusion of the wellbeing of the cow species, for example? Speciesism?

Haven't I already made this point? What, do you say "the species is an abstraction" just so you can ask a question that has already been addressed?

Yes. Certain preferences toward our own species are very important in keeping us, both individually and collectively, alive.

We could always manifest the Principle of Equal Consideration by committing species-wide suicide; at least that way, our unfair toll against nature would be finite.

Be specific. What is unreasonable and irrational about the foundation I have given above? What facets am I "hiding" from?

Until you understand that your moral parameters about this issue are aesthetic expressions, you will continue to be puzzled by the answers to those two questions.

Given that you want to make a distinction between purportedly-moral argument which are actually aethetics, and actual moral arguments, perhaps you should give me a few examples of non-aestethic moral arguments, and some aesthetic ones, so I can understand your point better.

Political: Self-termination ought to be at the discretion of the individual. The moral principle here is that each person has only their own experience, and they owe no part of it to anyone; observable conditions suggest that we are unable to consent to our birth, and while I do not oppose the efforts to change a suicidal's mind, I find it morally unjustifiable that suicide should be against the law.

Existential: Every act of creation requires destruction. Less dramatically, and perhaps a tad more originally, Existence causes changes of state in an environment. The moral principle here is considerably more complex, as manifestations change depending on the classification of existence one makes. Basically, we are supposed to be somewhat aware of the changes we cause, but we cannot devote our entire existence to such examination.

Existential: Nature is not extraneous. The answers to obscure questions of "Why?" are of the utmost. Why did God make the Universe as such? Couldn't a loving God make a universe without these horrible things? Such questions have puzzled Christians and their infidel critics for ages, but what of more natural considerations? The question "Why are we here?" pertains to the essential question of "What role do we play in the order of the Universe?" What are these ten fingers and toes for? What about this brain? What condition of nature demands this form of existence? Some think such life is an impossible rarity. I tend to think it is a statistical necessity. But even that belief doesn't explain to me what constitutes necessity. The black and white moral directive is to use these tools. But for what?

The result of nature is that species advancement and competition is a fundamental aspect of life. That so many humans are so generally blissfully unaware of the process is an absurd luxury of our achievement as a species.

We have a moral obligation to attempt to understand our humanity. Each of us. Individually and together. What is the point of recognizing what we do? What purpose in nature does it serve?

As you eat a live prawn, what does it do? Does it try to escape? Does it exhibit signs of pain? Does it seem to you to suffer? What about a lettuce? What about a dog? What about a human child?

See any differences, other than "aesthetics"?

I'm not sure what's cut or plucked off the thing at the time of serving; it may well be in shock. Just because I don't see the lettuce suffer doesn't mean it's not dying. I've already explained that dogs have other uses in my view of the Universe. They're a viable food source in a pinch, but other than that, they contribute to the human endeavor in many ways. And given your rejection of species as an abstraction, I would not dare speculate on why you keep raising arguments that demand moral parity between humans and other animals. Are children really so insignificant in your outlook? Is the fact of your humanity so unimportant to you? Do you not understand that humans are compelled by nature to want to reproduce? People have uses for children that don't involve eating them alive? Aren't you being a little absurd on that point?

Also, tell me why you think humanity would be "reduced" by becoming vegetarian. I say it would be improved.

Your improvement would be moralistic, aesthetic. The reduction, as I've explained, is the narrowing of our food spectrum.

Your religious-style argument that human evolution is somehow pre-ordained, and humans making moral choices interferes with that pre-determined path for the worse, is perplexing, to say the least. I could even argue that it is "aesthetic".

Do you not understand that its preordained course is whatever course it follows? The idea of influencing that course deliberately for moral assertions in general is discomforting. But you're still arguing an aesthetic standard: just because you believe otherwise does not mean plants don't suffer. That you refuse the reality of that condition is your own choice. I can't force you to believe reality.

So would human beings, I'm sure. So what?

See, this is that rudeness thing again. I don't believe you're actually that stupid.

What gives us the right to use cattle as we see fit? Just because we can? Might makes right? I ask again: Why do you consider that the only value in a cow is in its economic value to you? Has it no intrinsic value? And if not, why the double standard when we come to consider human beings?

If cows weren't good food, they'd probably be extinct by now. It has much greater intrinsic value: it is no longer competition for resources.

What double standard? Imagine there's a hurricane and the dike breaks. Am I being immoral if I save a human child and not a young calf? Maybe I should ferry that rat over there to safety?

1. I did not perceive Huxley's comments as an assertion of moral authority.

Okay. If you say so. "Now, we move to the issue of plant suffering. I disagree with Aldous Huxley on several issues, which I can go into in more detail if you wish. I do not accept him as an authority who can decide this moral issue for us." (url=http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1045231]#1045231[/url])

So were you just dodging the issue, then?

2. My argument is not based on "aethetics", in the sense that I understand that term.

Yes, it is. You're trying so hard to make so much out of your argument that you are limiting your understanding.

quote]3. You disagree with me AND you act immorally. One of these actions does not cause the other - they are separate.[/quote]

In principle, yes, but not in your argument. Unless you're going to argue that child rape is benign?

4. My argument is perfectly rational. Despite a lot of waffling about this and that, you haven't yet shown any irrationality.

Your perception is in doubt because of your argument.

5. I have not cast rape as "about mere pleasure". That is a straw man.

If you say so:

- I have limited myself to comparing only one particular aspect of killing and eating an animal to raping a human - i.e. the aspect of the act which has to do with a selfish desire on the part of a human being. (#1041466)

- Again, I need to repeat myself. My point is that the desire to rape is no different from the desire to eat meat. Both are desires which require a choice of action: to rape, or not to rape. To eat, or not to eat. The potential rapist can choose not to rape. The potential meat eater can choose not to eat meat. Both decisions have moral implications. (#1045231)

- Now consider the right not to be eaten for the pure selfish pleasure of another animal. (#1047275)​

That last one does in fact come from the post I'm responding to, but I don't think you would be so ridiculous as to claim that's the first time you've made meat consumption about pleasure. Or do I really have to go that far back through the topic to prove it to you?

6. I do not feel persecuted or "unfairly treated", as you put it.

Okay. Phrases like, "choose to ignore the points ... and the objections I raise", or "belittle the messenger"? (#1045231)

Your comment regarding complexity is mere condescension. My argument is no more complex than it needs to be to get my point across.

More complaint? Is nothing any more complex than "pure selfish pleasure"?

If you feel that I am over-simplifying an issue which must be more complex, then get off your soap box and get down to business - point out the complexities you think are relevant, and explain.

Ever think that maybe moralism is about "pure selfish pleasure"? At least, the way you're going about it? Really, has it ever occurred to you? I have tried to explain to you about the "pleasure" of eating; you insist it is something much more simple. I have tried to explain to you about baseless morals, and you still assert yourself from an arbitrary a priori.

Take your next point about Huxley: is your view of what he discussed really so narrow? Why? Furthermore, your standard of what constitutes viable suffering is demonstrably irrational. Would you really claim that what you see with the naked eye is all that is real? What you hear with your own two ears is the only sound in the Universe? Would you? I don't think you would. But something has your perception under sway. With such questions about the validity of what you're trying to tell me, including factual reality ("I have not ...", "I did not ..."), it's getting difficult to take you seriously.

If you don't think the way you've cast things is naively simple ("pleasure", "greed", &c.) then go ahead and be offended. Do I have to explain to you the complexities of rape? I've tried discussing with you the complexities of human consumption, but you seem to prefer the simplistic juxtapositions.

I examined Huxley's point in a previous post, and explained why I disagree with him. I do not think that watching a plant undergo the kind of "suffering" Huxley talks about would or should change a vegetarian's mind about where to draw the moral line. I do not think the focus in this debate should be on "life" versus "non-life" as creating the relevant moral imperative, and I certainly do not think that Huxley's attempt at redefinition of all things to be "alive" is helpful.

Yes, yes, I know. It's all about what you believe. For instance, you don't believe plants suffer. At least, not in any way relevant to you.

I guess I left too much out of the Huxley citation. He also discussed briefly Bose's successful transplant of a mature tree. Anesthetize the roots. Who would have thought? I'll look it up later, when I'm close to the book. I don't know if it will make any difference to you.

What worries me about your abstraction of "the species" is that it removes all immediate moral responsibility back one step, so that no moral obligations are immediate and personal any more. Only things that are "good for the species" or "bad for the species" matter to you, you claim. What value then is an individual human life (let alone an animal's life)? Stack up any individual's interests against "the good of the species" and you can justify anything as being for the "good of the species".

Would it be for the "good of the species" to sterilise all Down's syndrome children, for example? Would it be for the "good of the species" to kill all disabled people who cannot or will not work for a living, and so are a drain on society?

How do you determine "the good of the species" in advance, tiassa?

I wouldn't know. What about you? Or do you just not consider it important, as long as you get to feel better about yourself in having set a moral standard for humanity?

Nuclear war is not for the good of the species. Radiation sickness has shown zero net-gain mutations. Nuclear war has extinctive potential.

Perhaps it would be even better for the species to terminate all detected Down's syndrome in utero. Perhaps many things would be better for the species. Managed marital and reproductive status for everyone. True eugenics. But there is only so much genetic tinkering we can do. Nature does abhor a vacuum, and other mutations will inevitably occur. Perhaps the world will have to come to that, but we're human beings, and we've decided in the so-called "first world" societies that such common bonds actually mean something. And that something is directly relevant and vital to ourselves as individuals and collectives. We're all in it together, and that means not everyone gets to have their morals made official. What would it matter if we purged an entire ethnicity? Why don't we like that idea anymore?

After all, it's what you're proposing. Well, your version is a little more subtle, I admit. How do you determine the good of the species in advance, that you would advocate an evolutionary outcome deliberately according to a moral assertion based in aesthetics?

I must respond to this, lest you accuse me of doing this in the current post.

Suffice to say you are generally missing thematic issues in order to make smaller issues. I just think you're on such an attack that you're missing the point. That was clear when you wrote, "A complete discussion of this would take us far off-topic." (#1041466) Or, "This is a separate question, and a distraction once again." If you had followed along more closely and not sought opportunities to be so arrogant and belligerent, you might have been able to make sense. To start at any point other than your assertion is a separate question, a distraction.

It is interesting that in this, probably one of the longest ongoing interaction I have had with you on this forum in years, you regard my posts as "blazingly aggressive". Perhaps it is just that you are used to dealing with people whose arguments are more easily dismissed or derided, and your projecting your frustrations onto me. Or maybe you're right - maybe I really am in throes of an uncontrollable moral fervor which makes me stark raving mad.

It's just the degree of exaggeration and moral caricature about your posts. I'm much more accustomed to you making sense. You're considerably less logical in this issue than I'm used to you being in general.

By the same argument, you ought to extend the right not to be killed and eaten to cows when they show the capability of suffering in a similar way that humans suffer when they are killed and eaten

There is no cow heaven. When it's over, it's over.

What? I have no idea how you come to that assertion.

Suppose we can do nothing to stop these aliens from eating us. We can run away, or try to fight, or whatever, but they'll get us if they want us. Does that make their actions morally acceptable, then?[/szie]

Are they capable of moral perception? Perhaps morality would be extinguished among life in the Universe.

Would that be natural selection?

Cows assert themselves as best they can against being killed, just as we would assert ourselves as best we could against vicious aliens.

That's why we should always sneak up on the cows. It can't be shown the cows aren't simply responding to stimuli.

So, do you have a double standard here - that the aliens would be doing evil to eat humans, but humans do not evil eating cows? Or does might make right again? (Or is there some other basis which makes human-munching aliens as moral as cow-munching humans?)

Depends on the rational anchor of the moral consideration.

At some point, life simply is.

I'll try for the rest of it later. I've things to get to.

Meathead said:
You need to work on your deductive skills, you may disagree with him, but when did he invite you to read his entire comment? If you didn't like it you had the option to not read on. I chose to accept his argument even though it differed from mine. It doesn't make either one of us better, just you more of a senseless fool.

No, but you are just rpoving you are James R. My problem with you is that he is a coward who wants me to agree with your falsehoods and yet ignore the truths, It is sad really that you had to resort to sock puppetry. No just stop lying and I may respect you more.

Huxley again; the following comes from the same pages as the prior citation:

Sir J. C. Bose told us that (the tree) had been brought to the garden from a distance. Transplanting is generally fatal to a full-grown tree; it dies of shock. So would most men if their arms and legs were amputated without an anaesthetic. Bose administered chloroform. The operation was completely successful. Waking, the anaesthetised tree immediately took root in its new place and flourished. (Jesting Pilate)​

That a plant's experience of pain or suffering does not focus on a central nervous system does not mean such an experience does not exist.

From Viva.org:

The majority of cattle are stunned with the captive bolt pistol. The Humane Slaughter Association make it clear that, “whilst it may appear that captive-bolt stunning is a straightforward procedure, great care must be taken in its operation, as both operator error and equipment failure will severely compromise animal welfare" ....

.... In order for a captive bolt stun to render an animal unconscious, stunners need to be well maintained and the correct cartridge strengths need to be used. Failure to do this, or to position the pistol accurately, means that the animal will have to endure the pain of being shot in the head without losing consciousness - and will then have to be shot again or be knifed whilst conscious.

In 1990, scientists visited 27 abattoirs and looked at almost 2,000 cattle being stunned. They found that 6.6 per cent of cattle were “less than effectively stunned”.

The Scientific Veterinary Committee of the European Commission express similar concerns in their 1996 report. They say that, “...in 5 to 10% of cattle captive bolt stunning is not applied correctly. Inadequate facilities for the presentation of heads of animals to the operators is thought to be the major cause of this problem. Animals may remain conscious or regain consciousness very soon either due to inappropriate shooting position or cartridge.” In the UK, this means that up to 230,000 cattle each year are not being correctly stunned.

This level of suffering is internationally accepted. In the USA, a training video entitled, “Good Animal Handling for Beef Processors” and funded by the McDonald’s Corporation and the American Meat Institute Foundation states, “Excellent stunning is achieved when 99 per cent or more of the animals are rendered insensible with one shot. An acceptable level is rendering more than 95 per cent of the cattle in one shot. If more than 5 per cent of the cattle don’t reach insensibility after one shot, your plant should re-evaluate its stunning process and possibly training be provided to the stunning operator.” So, according to McDonalds, it is acceptable to mis-stun 1 in 20 cattle.
(Viva.org

There are some things to consider about an animal's "suffering". Is 5%, or 6.6% too high a number? Perhaps. I'll even go so far as to say yes. But here, again, we come back to economics. To simply moralize against meat consumption circumvents the more realistic option of addressing the problems of our economic demands. Moral vegetarianism implemented among humanity only solves the problem of one's sentimentality toward animals. In such a case, animals apparently take precedent over humans, since human suffering remains, and its causes go unaddressed. What is the compelling reason, under the Principle of Equal Consideration, for discriminating against humanity in such a manner?

From the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization:

It is desirable to render an animal unconscious before it is slaughtered in order to eliminate pain, discomfort and stress from the procedure. Most developed and many developing countries have legislation that requires pre-slaughter stunning, with the exception of authorised ritual slaughter like Kosher or Halal. In some circumstances, traditional slaughter may be exempt from pre-slaughter stunning. Whatever the stunning method, the animal should be rendered unconscious for long enough so that bleeding results in enough loss of blood to cause death from lack of oxygen to the brain (cerebral anoxia). In other words, death should occur before the animal would have regained consciousness after stunning, had bleeding not taken place. There are three main technologies used to effect stunning-Percussion, Electrical and Gas. Only the first two are commonly used in developing countries. (FAo_Org)​

You will find, when considering the issue rationally, that preferred slaughter methods are aware of stress put on animals. The greatest issue of suffering I find in livestock considerations comes in the nature of farming and raising, an issue which comes down to economic choices by civilizations which will not be addressed by advocacy of moral vegetarianism. Given the nature of economic conditions and the effects thereof, we once again face the question, "Why discriminate against humans?" What is the compelling reason for elevating livestock onto a holy pedestal?

This unfounded bias shows even more clearly when you raise the consideration of prawns and lettuce to compare to human babies. Is there a reason you overlook the place of reproduction in the life cycle? How many animals reproduce for the specific purpose of consuming the offspring? How long would such a species last? Would you assert that human women conceive and bear children for purely selfish pleasure? What about the men who become fathers?

So ... why [does a Walrus love her offspring]? I would, honestly, dearly love to see a PET scan and other imagery on a walrus brain experiencing love. I can't tell you how much that would affect my understanding of nature.

If you're really interested, I suggest you buy a copy of Richard Dawkin's The Selfish Gene. I could give you the summary, but it would take us too far afield in this thread, I fear.

Is a walrus' love any more rational than human love?

A Florida State University team found that the brain chemistry responsible for addiction plays a role in love.

Researchers said the messenger chemical dopamine, which stimulates the brain's reward centre, helps keep male Prairie voles monogamous.

Prairie voles are well known for forging long-lasting relationships, the Nature Neuroscience journal reported.

Dopamine plays a key role in attracting people back to sources of pleasure, such as good food.

It also acts to keep a drug addict hooked on heroin or cocaine.

The team decided to study Prairie voles because they, more than any other animal, show signs of falling in love in the way humans do.
(BBC News Online)​

Bryn Mawr University:

One chemical, oxytocin, plays an important role in romantic love as a sexual arousal hormone and makes women and men calmer and more sensitive to the feelings of others. Physical and emotional cues, processed through the brain, trigger the release of oxytocin. For example, a partner's voice, look or even a sexual thought can trigger its release. Attachment to someone has been linked to chemicals released from the brain known as endorphins that produce feelings of tranquility, reduced anxiety, and comfort. These chemicals are not as exciting as those released during the attraction stage, but they are more addictive and are part of what makes us want to keep being around that person we are in love with ....

.... MRI images of the brains of these individuals showed that the brain pattern for romantic love overlapped patterns for sexual arousal, feelings of happiness, and cocaine-induced euphoria ... These results did not occur when the individuals were shown pictures of non-romantic loved ones ....

.... Other areas of the brain that have been associated with love include the septal area, which has been associated with pleasure, and the frontal lobe, the most highly evolved part of our brain, which has been associated with higher mental functions such as trust, respect, desire for companionship, etc. Finally, the amygdala, which has direct and extensive connections with all the sensory systems of the brain and with the hypothalamus, is considered to be the emotional center of the brain. Therefore, it most likely also plays a role in the emotions surrounding love. Consequently, it is highly likely that as we become more attached to someone through experience and time together, our love for them is processed and stored in our brain.
(Clare Smiga)​

Like I said, it would be great to see brain imagery of a walrus experiencing a love effect. But I suppose the walruses are just selfish and greedy, right? Is it at all possible, according to your outlook, that human or walrus intent, or the intentions of any species, might fail to account rationally for all the effects an action or condition causes or contributes to in the Universe? We come back to looking for a species that reproduces for the exclusive purpose of consuming its offspring, a proposition that biology generally renders economically nonviable.

Think of humans; why, for instance, did the Americans enshrine the inferiority and inhumanity of African slaves in the U.S. Constitution? (See U.S. Constitution, I.2.3). Three-fifths is, in fact, a step up for the slaves; were it not for political and economic concerns (e.g. taxation and apportionment), the issue would not have come up. The dehumanization of slaves provided aesthetic relief for a slave-owning conscience. By creating a degree of separation, one no longer perceived the suffering of a fellow human. That the suffering existed seems self-evident; that people found a way to not relate to it in order to justify such suffering is rather a human process. It is the same with your reduction of meat consumption to pure, selfish pleasure, or greed. You demonize those who disagree with you so that you do not feel obliged to consider the validity of their experiences and understandings. It's an escape that seems convenient, but has proven historically problematic.

That we do not understand something does not mean it does not exist.

JamesR said:

It would be - if I had ever made that claim.

There are many reasons one might own a ranch. Taking pleasure in the killing of animals is only one possibility.

Actually, you did characterize ranching as solely for our pleasure in killing animals:

What about game hunting? At least the cow I ate last night was born for that specific purpose. Can't say that for the last venison I turned down.

Is it not more reprehensible to breed animals solely for our pleasure in killing them? Again, this is another topic for discussion, since we have yet to agree that killing animals for pleasure is wrong at all. If we can get past that first hurdle, then we may have more to discuss.

Such horsepucky and denial is unbecoming.

JamesR said:

Non-human animals ought to have basic rights as a result of the Principle of Equal Consideration, mentioned above. My default position is "extend the same rights unless there are good reasons not to", whereas yours seems to be "extend no rights unless they are won by strength of arms in a
tooth-and-nail fight".

Such a lack of subtlety seems uncharacteristic of you. Is demonization the only thing you have going for your argument?

Nature can assert itself in many ways; I don’t eat whales or dolphins because I respect their intelligence. I don’t eat horses because they are capable of communicating with humans. I don’t eat elephants because, frankly, have you ever seen elephants paint? They create art; hardly a tooth-and-nail standard. Yet, if that was all there was to eat, I wouldn’t let myself starve. And I certainly wouldn’t resort to cannibalism if there was a horse or elephant or whale to be had. As the actor said to his horse in Bergman’s Seventh Seal, “Pity I don’t eat grass. Maybe you can teach me.”

Forget arbitrary. Ask whether the reasons are morally defensible. That's what the thread is about.

Again you insist that your moral assertion has little or no burden of rationality. Morality without a rational anchor is nothing but fancy. You can no more demonstrate the rational basis of your morality than a Christian presuming the existence of God. So far, I see little to your argument that does not extend beyond your own sentiments and outlook. Is that outlook perfect? Hardly; you’re human. Look to what is demonstrable; you are unsatisfied with the economic effects on morality and ethics, and so you invoke some higher standard with the result that we will solve the problems of cows and chickens without ever addressing the problems of humans. What compelling reason validates that inequity?

I specifically refuted that claim in my previous post. My argument is a moral one, not one based on "ugliness". Why try to slip this back in as if I hadn't refuted it?

I’ve addressed that refutation. Why pretend I haven’t?

What do you do with slaves? Keep them imprisoned in one location against their will. Control their associations with other human beings. Force them to work for you, possibly against their will. Punish them on a whim. Treat them as property, to dispose of as you see fit.

See my prior post, where I discuss the “three-fifths rule” and aesthetics in the American conscience.

What do you do with cattle? Keep them imprisoned in one location against their will. Control their associations with other human beings. Force them to work for you, possibly against their will. Punish them on a whim. Treat them as property, to dispose of as you see fit. Oh... and eat them.

Now you’re pushing moral parity between cows and humans. You could make the same case for pets as you do slaves. I anxiously await your advocacy on behalf of either the ownership of slaves or the equality and rights of pets.

When the cattle are functionally equal to humans, they will be regarded as equals.

In the meantime, your argument has the appearances of extremity and dishonesty. Tell me, does your moral system accept dishonesty if it’s for reasons one considers worthwhile?

Stop demonizing those who disagree with you; it’s not a rational argument to do so. And denying what is on record only casts your perspective in further doubt.

Zion said:
can i get a gist of above reply ? please?

It addresses some loose ends in JamesR’s and my discussion. The first part (Huxley) pertains to the question of suffering or pain among plants. The second (slaughter) pertains to the suffering of animals used for food. The third portion (walrus love) involves the question of an organism’s behavior in the context of its species. JamesR and I disagree on all counts. He believes plants don’t suffer or feel pain; I assert the difference ‘twixt animal and plant is a matter of sympathy and aesthetics. He makes much of an animal’s suffering in cultivation and slaughter, and I consider the greatest portion of that question a matter of economics and not selfish pleasure. Lastly, he attributes a walrus cow’s defense of herd offspring as a matter of love; while my jury is still out on the complexities and nuances of love in such a case, love among humans owes much to irrationality determined by chemical processes.

Much of it has to do, in the end, with the Principle of Equal Consideration (cited by JamesR) and the fact of our species (cited by me). My counterpoint to Equal Consideration is that we seem to be elevating the animals above the humans, while JamesR’s counterpoint to the fact of our species is that species is an abstraction, and apparently doesn’t count for much in our considerations.

The seemingly-disparate points do collide when crammed into the context of this debate.

Back