Is eating meat morally wrong

As are yours Jame R. The man has already had to turn to cattlerasing to feed his own family and provide a roof. Abandoning the sale of cattle to feedlots would only make him suffer for you aesthetic whim. So to save cattle who will never exist he must harm people who do. No a very moralistic approach.

As for continuing flight form the arguments of the human conditon being geared towards meat. I find it absolutely cowardly. Instead of debating it you duck behind other peoples opinions and sayings about logic. You have taken "...is not always logical." and made it into not ever logical. This is cowardice in the first degree. You can't just say that and then call it the end of the argument. You have to prove it is not logical or moral.

Your posts have been long on emotional mudslinging and short of facts. You seem to expect us to take your sketchy terms, be refuse to acknowledge our well defined words and terms. in short James R. the reason you are repeating yourself is that you are hoping that if you repeat it enough everyone will think it is truth,

Let me also respond to Mr Huxley, since it might help you understand my point of view better...

The spectacle of a dying animal affects us painfully; we can see its struggles and, sympathetically, feel something of its pain. The unseen agony of a plant leaves us indifferent. To a being with eyes a million times more sensitive than ours, the struggles of a dying plant would be visible and therefore distressing. Bose’s instrument endows us with this more than microscopical acuteness of vision. The poisoned flower manifestly writhes before us. The last moments are so distressingly like those of a man, that we are shocked by the newly revealed spectacle of them into a hitherto unfelt sympathy.

We might see the damage occurring to the cells of a plant as it dies, through a microscope. But are we really distressed by that? I don't know. Perhaps we feel something for the plant as it withers. But there's no evidence that the plant itself has any "subjective" experience of suffering. There's an end result in that the plant's life ends, but is there actual suffering?

Sensitive souls, whom a visit to the slaughterhouse has converted to vegetarianism, will be well advised, fi they do not want to have their menu still further reduced, to keep clear of the Bose Institute. After watching the murder of a plant, they will probably want to confine themselves to a strictly mineral diet. But the new self-denial would be as vain as the old. The ostrich, the sword-swallower, the glass-eating fakir are as cannibalistic as the frequenters of chop-houses, take life as fatally as do the vegetarians. Bose’s earlier researches on metals—researches which show that metals respond to stimuli, are subject to fatigue and react to poisons very much as living vegetable and animal organisms do—have deprived the conscientious practitioners of ahisma of their last hope. They must be cannibals, for the simple reason that everything, including the “inanimate” is alive.

Here, Huxley goes right off the rails. What is meant by "alive"? It seems to me that the very definition of "alive" includes plants and animals but necessarily excludes metals and rocks. If you start to argue that a rock is alive, then you're changing the whole definition of what it means to be alive.

Moving on: Is life enough to attract moral responsibilities from others? I do not think so. Many things are undoubtedly alive, yet we have little compunction in killing them arbitarily. This suggests that ethical restrictions on killing are not based on life itself, but rather on certain features of particular life forms - features I have discussed earlier in this thread. Life is obviously not the be-all and end-all in the decision to kill or not to kill.

This last assertion may seem—such is the strength of inveterate prejudice—absurd and impossible. But a little thought is enough to show that it is, on the contrary, an assertion of what is a priori probable. Life exists. Even the most strict and puritanical physicists are compelled, albeit grudgingly, to admit the horridly disquieting fact. Life exists, manifestly, in a small part of the world we know. How did it get there? There are two possible answers. Either it was, at a given moment, suddenly introduced into a hitherto completely inanimate world from the outside and by a kind of miracle. Or else it was, with consciousness, inherent in the ultimate particles of matter and, from being latent, gradually extrinsicated itself in ever increasingly complicated and perfect forms.

There is a third possibility that Mr Huxley would have been unaware of: emergent complexity. It is quite possible for a set of individual hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen and oxygen atoms to be completely lifeless and inert in isolation, yet to produce a living organism when brought into the right combination. It is not necessary for consciousness to infuse an individual oxygen atom for it to make up one small part of a larger conscious entity.

In the present state of knowledge—or ignorance, put it how you will—the second answer seems the more likely to be correct. If it is correct, then one might expect that inanimate matter would behave in the same way as does matter which is admittedly animate. Bose has shown that it does. It reacts to stimuli, it suffers fatigue, it can be killed.

Again, this is an attempt at a radical redefinition of what it means to be alive and what it means to kill. Metal fatigue does not "kill" a piece of pipe, in any generally-accepted sense.

There is nothing in this that should astonish us. If the conclusion shocks our sense of fitness, that is only due to the fact that we have, through generations, made a habit of regarding matter as something dead; a lump that can be moved, and whose only real attribute is extension. Motion and extension are easily measured and can be subjected to mathematical treatment. Life, especially in its higher, conscious forms, cannot.

Life is as subject to scientific analysis as anything else. The only difference is in the level of complexity between, say, a virus, and a homogeneous lump of iron.

To deny life to matter and concentrate only on its measurable qualities was a sound policy that paid by results. No wonder we made a habit of it. Habits easily become a part of us. We take them for granted, as we take for granted our hands and feet, the sun, falling downstairs instead of up, colours and sounds. To break a physical habit may be as painful as an amputation; to question the usefulness of an old-established habit of thought is felt to be an outrage, an indecency, a horrible sacrilege.

My view is that it is of no scientific value to attribute qualities to things which are not in some way measurable or observable. Suppose I invent a new attribute for people called "fluntz". Some people have more fluntz than others, I assert. What use is that? If it is not possible for somebody else to independently measure a person's degree of fluntz, then fluntz is a concept of very limited utility indeed.

Regarding the breaking of old habits, however, Huxley is right on the money. It bears consideration when thinking about the habit of eating meat which makes people so comfortable.

James R said:
Aethetics is all about what is or is not beautiful, as you know. How this relates to my argument that it is morally reprehensible to kill sentient, conscious beings for no good reason is beyond me, I'm afraid. Unless you want to argue that I regard people who act morally as beautiful, and those who do not as ugly, perhaps.

Aesthetics, esthetics, or æsthetics is both the study of beauty and the properties of a system that appeal to the senses, as opposed to the content, structures, and utility of the system itself.

Aesthetics is also the domain of philosophy that ponders art and such qualities as beauty, sublimity, and even ugliness and dissonance. An aesthetic (also spelled esthetic or æsthetic) is the concept of a particular school of philosophy that appraises art, beauty, and associated concepts by certain standards (e.g. the aesthetic of minimalism).

The word aesthetics was not widely used in English until the beginning of the 19th Century, as referenced by J. H. Bernard's 1892 translation of Immanuel Kant's the Critique of the Power of Judgment. The term entered the German lexicon with the philosopher Alexander Gottlieb Baumgarten.

In other words she is rightfully accusing you of looking only at the surface i.e. cows being killed.

TW Scott:

Again, I post a lengthy reply to you, which you ignore. Instead, having no new ideas of your own, you choose to jump on tiassa's "aesthetics" bandwagon. And then you call me cowardly?

Let's see if you can think for yourself. If you want ride the "aesthetics" cart, then explain why my view is aesthetic rather than ethical.

As for the economic harm caused to meat workers when we all switch to vegetarianism, these effects (if any) will be short-term and well worth it for net good. I repeat again the point I made to 2inquisitive, which you obviously ignored, that when slavery was abolished, slave owners had to find other ways to earn a living, too. I'm sure there were people like you saying "Poor slave owners, struggling to feed their families! Taking away their ability to exploit others made life so hard for them! *sob*".

As for continuing flight form the arguments of the human conditon being geared towards meat. I find it absolutely cowardly.

On the contrary, I have met those arguments, weak as they are, head on. I guess you forgot again.

Your posts have been long on emotional mudslinging and short of facts.

You appeal to bad economic consequences for animal exploiters is emotional mudslinging. Or didn't you realise that?

James R.

Lovely how you judge me as not having an idea. I'm not like you I don't invent facts as I go along. Instead I stick with what works. And at least i am not comparing the you to slave owners. Your appeals to emotion are tiring and ul;timately will only alienate everyone. So go right ahead and keep doing it.

Here's the truth, the demise of the meat industry will have an effect akin to the demise of the steel industry. The effects will be felt for decades after the supposed recovery. A recovery I will note that would be completely unnecessary. There is NO REASON to stop eating meat if you are not bothered with it. If you are bothered that is your own problem, so either get over it or say no thank you. It is as simple as that.

TW Scott:

You poor thing. You're tired and emotional. Why not take a break?

Lovely how you judge me as not having an idea.

Read more carefully.

I'm not like you I don't invent facts as I go along.

These accusations with no proof are tiresome. Give it a rest.

Instead I stick with what works.

I never doubted that eating meat "works" for you. Surely you're not still missing the point, are you?

And at least i am not comparing the you to slave owners.

The comparison is fair, though, don't you think?

Here's the truth, the demise of the meat industry will have an effect akin to the demise of the steel industry. The effects will be felt for decades after the supposed recovery. A recovery I will note that would be completely unnecessary.

I think I have sufficiently refuted this "economic" argument. Anyway, there are more important things than economics, believe it or not.

There is NO REASON to stop eating meat if you are not bothered with it.

I have given you a number of reasons. I guess you forgot again. Convenient, that.

A couple of other points, TW Scott:

The man has already had to turn to cattlerasing to feed his own family and provide a roof.

Nobody forced him to become a beef farmer. He could have had a vegetable farm. Or he could have become a motor mechanic. Or he could have got an education and joined Microsoft.

So to save cattle who will never exist he must harm people who do.

What are you talking about? Let's concentrate on the cattle who do exist, rather than on hypothetical cattle who will never exist, ok?

Cruelty to cattle is happening right now. I'm not arguing about some future hypothetical situation here.

Also, you have yet to explain why his harm, or the harm to the four or five people in his family, is so much more important to than the lives of the hundreds of cows which die as a result of his actions every few years.

A strict vegetarian diet can lead to a protein and calcium deficiency. That's not a good thing.
There are vital amino acids that we have to have, certain ones that our body cannot produce, so we have to get them from an outside source. Meat and dairy products are, sometimes, the only ways to get them, and are usually the best way, a well.

tiassa:

I just had another thought - an idea of why you might think my views are aesthetic rather than ethical.

Perhaps you think that I am primarily concerned about the "gooiness" of killing animals: all that split blood and guts, the cutting up of carcasses, and so on. That sight is ugly, and you think it offends my delicate sensibilities, and that is why I must object to killing animals.

That is not the basis of my position. There are several issues which we can discuss separately:

1. The raw fact of the killing of animals for comsumption by humans.
2. The methods and procedures used to bring about the deaths of the animals.
3. The treatment of the animals slated for meat while they are alive.

The primary wrong lies in issue number (1). Without number (1), we wouldn't need to worry about (2) at all, obviously. Issue (3) would, of course, remain.

Perhaps you are confused over the difference between "animal rights" and "animal welfare".

Animal welfare is concerned with the ethical treatment of animals. Most animal protection groups, including those run by governments, are concerned with animal welfare. Many laws concerning the interaction between humans and animals are concerned with animal welfare. Thus, there are laws saying that if you want to kill an animal, you can do so, but you must do so in a way that minimizes the pain felt by the animal. There are also laws saying that if you keep animals, you must provide them with sufficient food, etc. etc.

Animal rights is a whole different kettle of fish, so to speak. Proponents of animal rights say that animals have intrinsic value in and of themselves, not only as means-to-ends for human beings. People who believe in animal rights see animals as other than mere objects or property for humans to deal with as they wish. They assert that a set of basic rights should be accorded to animals, just as basic rights are given to human beings.

You can be at meat eater and still be concerned about animal welfare. You might worry a little about whether the cow on your dinner plate was killed quickly and painlessly, for example. You might even give money to the SPCA.

You cannot be a meat eater and support animal rights. Because in eating meat you are treating animals as nothing more than a commodity, whose only value is in relation to you. You value animals because they are tasty, or because they make money for you, or because they otherwise make your life or another human's life easier in some way. But you don't value them for themselves. You don't consider that important. The possible wishes or desires of an animal are irrelevant to you, unless they have flow-on effects which impact human beings.

Want a litmus test for whether you believe in animal rights? Here's a simple one: imagine any situation in which the interests of an animal conflict with the interests of a human being. Whose interests are more important? Who "wins"? If you say "the human is always more important", or "the human's interests triumph in all circumstances", then you don't believe in animal rights. If, on the other hand, you answer "it depends..." then perhaps there's an opening there.

Neither animal welfare nor animal rights is primarily about "aesthetics", of course. But animal welfare initiatives can have a variety of motives - one might be to protect the economic interests of a human "owner" or guardian of an animal, for example. Animal rights initiatives aim squarely to recognise that animals themselves have interests which may rightfully conflict with those of human beings in some instances.

My argument in this thread takes an animal rights approach. I object to the arbitrary killing of animals for human consumption not on the basis that I find the practice "distasteful" because it is ugly, but because I regard it as a fundamental imposition on and infringement of basic rights which all humans have and which non-human animals ought also to have, unless a compelling ethical reason can be given that those rights should not be respected.

Hapsburg:

A strict vegetarian diet can lead to a protein and calcium deficiency. That's not a good thing.

And consumption of meat can lead to all kinds of health problems, too. That's not a good thing, either.

Anyway, a protein or calcium deficiency might be a small price to pay for saving the lives of countless animals. Get some vitamin supplements!

There are vital amino acids that we have to have, certain ones that our body cannot produce, so we have to get them from an outside source. Meat and dairy products are, sometimes, the only ways to get them, and are usually the best way, a well.

Then, since meat products are not necessary (we can get all the required nutrients elsewhere), let's stop killing animals for meat.

Agreed?

Last edited:
Damn, I lost a post somehow.

James R,
They would obviously need to change occupations. So did slave owners when slavery was abolished.
Hehe, first rape, now slavery! Are you that desparate for an example, James R? Are you suggesting the cattle ranchers should emancipate the cows, give the cows the freedom to support themselves? :D
James R,
Would he have the same number of cattle if he wasn't producing them for meat?
Uh, no, he wouldn't have need any if they were a liability instead of an income producer. Economics 101, James R.
James R,
I suggest that the sale of all the equipment at the abatoirs could be used to support the existing cattle as they live out the rest of their lives comfortably. What do you think?
Hehe, you really are silly, James R! :D He uses the equipment to plant and grow food for the cattle. Some of the grasses are eaten by the cattle while green in the pastures, some is harvested as hay, etc. as a food supplement in the winter. Winter grasses also have to be planted and grown. Besides, selling the equipment would barely pay off the loans. If the land were not used for cattle food growing, it would have to be planted with some other cash crop to pay land taxes and generate an income to support the farm.

Methinks you know little of farms and ranches, James R. I know little myself, having never lived on a farm, but at least I have seen them! :D

2inquisitive:

Hehe, first rape, now slavery! Are you that desparate for an example, James R?

Why don't you respond to the points I made, rather than trying to get out by ridiculing them?

Is keeping cattle different from slavery? In what ways is it similar? In what ways is it different? Think.

Are you suggesting the cattle ranchers should emancipate the cows, give the cows the freedom to support themselves?

Sounds reasonable to me. Provide them with enough grassland to support themselves, of course. If you're going to claim land as human land only, that wouldn't be fair, would it?

Uh, no, he wouldn't have need any if they were a liability instead of an income producer. Economics 101, James R.

Do you have any pets, 2inquisitive? Are they anything more to you than a financial liability? If not, why do you keep them?

Hehe, you really are silly, James R! He uses the equipment to plant and grow food for the cattle. Some of the grasses are eaten by the cattle while green in the pastures, some is harvested as hay, etc. as a food supplement in the winter. Winter grasses also have to be planted and grown. Besides, selling the equipment would barely pay off the loans. If the land were not used for cattle food growing, it would have to be planted with some other cash crop to pay land taxes and generate an income to support the farm.

Fine. Plant some vegetables.

Methinks you know little of farms and ranches, James R.

Then you think wrong.

I know little myself, having never lived on a farm, but at least I have seen them

I have lived on a farm. Not that it matters.

James R said:
and consumption of meat can lead to all kinds of health problems, too. That's not a good thing, either.
Those problems are still not as bad as a damn calcium or protein defieciency. No calcium means you can't maintain your skeletal structure. No proteins means you cannot maintain your muscles and the rest of your body. Both of those are many times worse than getting sick from food contamination, which can be remedied by either storing/cooking the food correctly in the first place or by taking antibiotics.

Anyway, a protein or calcium deficiency might be a small price to pay for saving the lives of countless animals. Get some vitamin supplements!
Small price to pay? A person would die if they didn't get enough calcium, calories, and proteins from meat and dairy products.
Vitamin supplements and soy products (which taste nasty) don't give you the same amount as meats.
Besides, shrimp and chicken tastes good. I ain't giving up no damn shrimp and chicken.

Fuck that shit. You are not gonna tell me what to do, and you are not gonna take away my food. :mad:

James R said:
TW Scott:

You poor thing. You're tired and emotional. Why not take a break?

Sure, arm, legs, ribs or neck?

Read more carefully.

I am reading quite well, thank you very much I just don't add things or take them away/

These accusations with no proof are tiresome. Give it a rest.

I have proof, it's called the very words from your fingers.

I never doubted that eating meat "works" for you. Surely you're not still missing the point, are you?

If you had a point the ENTIRE WORLD missed it, but since you didn't we are fine.

The comparison is fair, though, don't you think?

No, it isn't. But then again I can think.

I think I have sufficiently refuted this "economic" argument. Anyway, there are more important things than economics, believe it or not.

No, you haven't. You saidfd you have but you haven't.

I have given you a number of reasons. I guess you forgot again. Convenient, that.

No, you have given me your reasons which equates to No reason.

JamesR said:

As far as I can see, you're now arguing only one substantive point.

Now? Well, that's largely what our portion of the discussion is reduced to. Indeed, my earlier arguments considered the notion of redefining humanity's subsistence spectrum in order to respect a moral assertion. I called that moral assertion unfounded. You disagreed. There's a reason we're focused at this point on fewer aspects of the issue. Apparently I must take you through them one at a time. Yes, that's rather a harsh way of putting it, but this seems to be the way you want it.

You are asserting that my moral argument is not an argument about ethics at all, but rather one about "aesthetics".

Actually, I am arguing that the foundation of your moral argument is an aesthetic standard, and therefore no sound foundation for a moral assertion.

Aethetics is all about what is or is not beautiful, as you know. How this relates to my argument that it is morally reprehensible to kill sentient, conscious beings for no good reason is beyond me, I'm afraid.

I could, I suppose, make it about ignorance and mean spirit, but despite your lack of knowledge about the experiences of various flora (humanity knows more about what those experiences aren't than what they are) and your absurd denigration of human carnivores it seems to me that aesthetics is more relevant. Underpinning your calculations regarding sentience and nervous systems and experiences is merely an aesthetic sympathy such as Huxley discussed.

The basis of my argument is ethics.

A very immediate ethical context, one that rejects considerations of the wellbeing of the species. As a tradeoff for the feelgood reward, it seems rather an unethical deal.

Of course you should. To hold a moral view and yet to think that others should not hold the same view would be strange indeed, would it not? Can you think of any examples?

Opinions are akin to recta: everyone has one, there's a lot of crap involved, and some people need help making theirs function. Is the moral assertion reasonably and rationally founded? Is it considerate of its own diverse facets? Your moral assertion is not reasonably and rationally founded; your moral assertion would prefer to hide from many of its diverse facets than consider them. We return to the morality of having morals.

I think you need to explain why you are mistaking my moral argument for an aesthetic one.

I'm not mistaking your moral argument for an aesthetic one. Rather, you're mistaking aesthetics as morals.

Why does sentience matter?

What is the difference to you between these two scenarios?

(1) On NPR once I heard a man discussing the sense of taste, as in what our tongues &c. do. He described an experience when he went into a Korean restaurant in L.A. and selected a large prawn from a tank, expecting the process to be something like choosing a lobster. He was at first mortified when they brought him the live prawn wrapped in wax paper and expected him to eat it as such. And then he reconsidered, and decided to go forward with the endeavor. (He waxed artistically about all manner of the psychology of consuming a living organism. A greater vitality to the food, a sense of empowerment, &c. You know, discussion of the sense of taste.)

(2) Around here we can get at the average grocery store what's called a Bibb head, which is a small head of lettuce on the root, contained so that the organism is alive when you purchase it and take it home. Preparing the lettuce immediately before serving the meal, I am aware that it is still alive and in the process of dying as I eat it. And, yes, it is better the closer to the kill you eat it.​

What, to you, is the difference between eating a live prawn and a live head of lettuce? What is your criteria for discrimination between these two forms of life? Apparently, it is the perception of one organism's suffering and the lack thereof in the other. I'll allow you to explain for yourself, but it doesn't seem to be much more than aesthetics to me. Why does that sentience matter?

I do not believe in the progress of humanity at any cost. Some prices are too high to pay.

You're changing the subject. Why is that?

I mean, it seems implicit that you're also saying that eating meat is too high a price to pay for the continued existence of our species, but I won't hold you to it, lest you think I'm attacking your character again.

But it's quite the change of subject:

T: The better my sociofunctional rhythms, the greater my contribution to the human endeavor.

J: I regard the lives of animals as more important that the mundane "human endeavors" which you consider take moral precedence.

T: Good for you. But the term is endeavor, in the singular. The “human endeavor” relates to the progress of humanity as a species in its environment, that is, the Universe.

J: I do not believe in the progress of humanity at any cost. Some prices are too high to pay.​

Now, can we have a personal moment 'twixt us here? Seriously: how many times have I used the phrase "human endeavor" at Sciforums? It puzzles me that you would suddenly confuse that phrase for "human endeavors", which is the term you use in order to relegate the consideration to the realm of the mundane, and presumably not worth considering. That's rather a slick maneuver for someone complaining that everyone is attacking him. Why stoop so low? Is that the best way you can think of to avoid arguing that people should lower their contributions to society in order for you to feel better about being human? Because that's exactly what your argument comes down to: Humanity should reduce itself in order that you might feel better about being human. That, frankly, is disturbing enough in and of itself, but here we come back to aesthetics. Humanity should reduce itself in order that you can feel better about being human all because of an aesthetic discord?

Do you really wonder why I used the word "fanaticism"? Or why I compared your message to the evangelization of the Gospels?

But you're happy to kill a cow and eat it. Why?

Because it's a better option than squashing the thing under my shoe and leaving it to decay in the sun? Because I can't find a magnifying glass or fishhook large enough to do the job?

How about, "Because it's food"?

We come back to considerations you've already chosen to cast aside: bovines make good steaks, good jackets, and great shoes. This is what they're for in relation to humanity. If we find a better purpose for them, we will put them to it. If we find a more positive relationship between human and bovine, we will develop it. Some cultures eat dogs; I should probably ask one of those cultures what they think of the strange Western habit of using dogs to contain, herd, and drive other food sources. We come back to economics: to use the dog as food, or in the production of food?

Besides, I've never killed the cow myself. By habit, however, I would imagine that I would thank it much like I do the herb or the tree or whatever.

Perhaps so. Please explain why you think I have a "moralistic dualism". Then I might understand your point.

You're the one who perceived Huxley's considerations an assertion of moral authority on his part; you're the one who has, thus far, argued that eating meat is too high a price for the human endeavor; you're the one basing right and wrong on what, sincerely, seems to be aesthetics. You reduce disagreement to mere greed, complain that disagreement is character assassination. There seems to be a simple, dualistic aspect to the moral assertion; either we agree with you, or we're wrong, greedy, and hateful. You're demonizing those who disagree with you instead of developing a rational foundation for your argument. Seriously, do you wonder why I compare your argument to certain religious discussions we're all familiar with? You would cast rape as something so simple as to be about mere pleasure? You would compare a body's sudden, unexpected demand for a food it has previously rejected to addiction? Either we agree with you, or we're wrong, and you'll say damn near anything in order to believe it.

Transcend that dualism and you will, first off, notice a reduction in that feeling that you're being persecuted or treated unfairly; secondly, you'll find that things are a lot more complex than you're casting them in order to foster your argument. You might even come to understand why the foundation of your argument is merely aesthetic.

I don't see the relevance of this.

Again, a result of the moralistic dualism.

Consider the statements place in the dialogue; we can try the longer form if you like:

J: As for life being sacred, I do not regard all life as of equal value.

T: The simplicity of such a statement explains much. Equal value in such a context has little to do with the sacred. How many people would die for a symbol or a myth? In the United States, when we hear someone ranting about flag-burning, we are sometimes given to wonder what is so important about a piece of cloth that one would kill and die for it.

J: I don't see the relevance of this.​

Whether or not you assign equal value to all forms of life has little to do with the point you seemed to be addressing; that you perceived what you did in Huxley suggests something about the strength of the moralistic dualism dominating your outlook in this discussion. Is a piece of cloth of "equal value" to a human life? To hear angry veterans tell it, a piece of cloth is more valuable than human life. This is as absurd a notion as can be in the context of the human species in general; that great value of a flag, though, comes because someone holds the symbol of a given flag as sacred. As for life being sacred, you missed a great deal of what Huxley was trying to explain.

Let's revisit a short quote from Huxley:

"Sensitive souls, whom a visit to the slaughterhouse has converted to vegetarianism, will be well advised, if they do not want to have their menu still further reduced, to keep clear of the Bose Institute. After watching the murder of a plant, they will probably want to confine themselves to a strictly mineral diet. But the new self-denial would be as vain as the old. (Jesting Pilate)​

Look at the two boldfaced sentences above. Very simply: the aesthetic value of watching the plant suffer would possibly have such impact on a moral vegetarian that their morals would be required to extend to plants; to do so, however, would be in vain, an accidental or perhaps narcissistic self-deception. "But the new self-denial would be as vain as the old," writes Huxley.

And I agree, especially when the moral assertion of the vegetarian is rooted in aesthetics.

The relevance, essentially, is to point out the functional impropriety of your statement, "As for life being sacred, I do not regard all life as of equal value."

I don't know how this relates to my point, as you understand it.

I don't wish to dismiss your statement about culpability out of hand, but I do find it rather an odd standard. Human culpability in fighting disease? We aren't blameless, as sexually transmitted diseases might attest, but you're barking up the wrong tree.

As to the issue of selfishness, you are consistent in that your prime concern here is the effects of your actions on yourself, rather than on things outside yourself. Your attitude to meat-eating is the same. To me, it shows a narrowness in your circle of consideration. It seems to me that you are concerned about a cow, let's say, only to the extent that it affects you, and for no other reason. Things that are beyond your direct and immediate control therefore take a very low precedence for you. Of course, I might be wrong.

You're using too broad of brushstrokes to paint the picture. The selfishness of self-preservation and the species is something considerably different from the selfishness of smoking dope or casual sex. This, incidentally, pertains to the "rudeness" section to follow. I am not morally troubled about destroying millions of organisms (e.g. bacteria) whose sum effect includes my possible destruction.

Nor am I morally troubled about "eating meat" per se. But here the line where I do have moral issues treads into questions of economy, which you have already dismissed, e.g. methods of distribution and allocation of wealth. To the one, I see that a large moral issue pertaining to methods of raising meat for market can be addressed and solved by addressing the economic issues that pertain to it. You, on the other hand, write of multi-tasking, but your eventual goal is to throw out meat consumption altogether. To analogize, I would seek to cure the disease while you would simply give yourself something for the pain. Your moral assertion is quick and sounds simple; a more realistic and vital solution is a more difficult undertaking than a steady diet of exaggeration and condemnation.

My "general rudeness". Hmmm... Have I offended you in some way, other than by disagreeing with your stance? Be specific.

Condemnation, demonization, exaggeration, distortion, ducking issues ... given the crap that qualifies as a valid argument around here, no, you haven't offended me specifically. But I understand well why people are reacting poorly to your message. It's all in how you say it.

For instance, you wrote a post to MrHero54 (#1025583), in which you discussed a theoretical child rapist; the severity of your comparison is absurd, and the simplicity of your view of child rape in that post is ridiculous. The reduction of child rape to mere pleasure is irresponsible. But you're willing to undertake that dereliction because you think you're making a point. Did you notice my response? I mean, your response skipped the couple of lines pertaining to that issue. Comparing carnivores to predatory pedophilia offends several sensibilities at once. Add to that comparisons of murder?

Or your bit about the animals' rights, the intangible aspects of humanity and the tangible aspects of the animals' lives: the whole episode regarding moral parity between humans and other animals left you looking deceptive at best.

Your dismissal of the evolutionary implications of converting humanity to a vegetarian diet leaves your issue as something more immediate and impulsive than well-considered.

And hollering "fallacy" when committing so many of your own. Don't just complain, disarm them. Of course, as our discussion of aesthetics shows, disarming the fallacy can be a difficult issue.

Denial of the inexorable connection between the individual organism and its species doesn't help your argument at all. You wrote, "The simple fact is that ... you value human life more than animal life, for no good reason." And truly, that verged on offensive. For no good reason? Who's ignoring what?

What about cutting certain explanations into shorter segments in order to disconnect the points from one another? About the only appearance of utility that manages is making it easier for you to offer shorter responses to the point. (See #1041466.) Would you not rebuke that behavior should, say, a Christian poster slice up your argument in order to miss the point and avoid the thematic issue?

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm aware the arguments you're encountering are problematic. It's just that, given the intelligence you've shown over time here, I wonder why you're so blazingly aggressive in this issue. Are you just an ass? I doubt it. Are you really this mean-spirited? I doubt it. We come back to the moralistic dualism: you're in the throes of a moral fervor that corrupts your sense of rationality.

And since I'm both revisiting the history of this topic and discussing the sense of offense you've generated, I'll harp on two issues worth revisiting: "Consider: do humans have a moral obligation to preserve biodiversity? Many people think that is a worthy goal. It there, then, a 'right' of nature associated with this?" And, "Is it not more reprehensible to breed animals solely for our pleasure in killing them?"

As to the first, I thought I had already raised and answered that question (#1034659): "Does 'Nature' have any rights? Only what she asserts." Recall my attempt to sum up and respond to the diverse arguments you had put forth elsewhere (#1029180): "After all, though many may write and speak of 'animal rights', who considers 'animal responsibilities'? On the one hand, when cows show rational contributions to the political discourse, or simply show the capability of voting, I will consider bovine suffrage. May they do better by the vote than we humans have done." At least they're consistent principles. And while it may be extreme to ask an animal lacking fingers, much less opposable thumbs, to write or type a philosophical treatise, we might consider an extreme scenario: If the aliens come and decide to eat us, the aliens come and decide to eat us. Humans, however, will not go down without asserting ourselves. Think, for a moment, of news footage of, say, a circus elephant on the rampage. People are hurt, cars are smashed, and eventually the poor animal is put to death. Remember, though, at the gun, the score was Elephant 14, People 1. Nature asserts her rights.

Secondly, to characterize ranching as an enterprise "solely for our pleasure in killing them" is just a bit inflammatory, don't you think? I mean, really ... whatever poor manners you perceive in your opposition will only intensify in response to such characterizations.

In the end, I don't think your rudeness stems from being stupid or fundamentally mean-spirited, but rather because this is a moral issue for you, one founded on a logical assertion that is both piecemeal and myopic. The only reason I care what you eat is if I'm going to serve or buy you food. I would no more lay a steak on your plate than I would bacon on a Jew's, and I have far greater intellectual respect for conscientious objections to the nature of farming and ranching than I do a simple religious dictate. But the moment you advocate that moral standard for others, the issue changes character. Your aesthetics are your aesthetics, and hardly grounds for eugenics.

On the contrary, you were the one complaining that I was repeating myself.

Well, simply repeating it doesn't make it true. A point of mine you seem to have passed over: "I can’t speak for the others, but it would seem that you consider my failure to agree with your points a choice to ignore them. Quite obviously, I disagree. Or am I just ignoring your point again?"

It seems rude to complain that your point is being ignored when people are trying to address it.

I am simply pointing out their greed to them. I'm not surprised when they get defensive about that. Nobody likes having their faults pointed out.

Should I choose the more civil response, or simply advise you to buy a clue next time before making a fool of yourself? Do you really view humanity as simply as you depict those who disagree with you? Or is it just the carnivores who are so simplistic?

I have already dealt with the rape thing above.

And poorly, at that.

Do you have any further questions regarding my point there, or can we drop that now?

As long as such a comparison is pertinent to your argument, we must consider it. Have you an inkling of why people think it's cheap mud slung recklessly?

This is more complex than you suppose. Talk about instinctual actions and conscious desires, if you like. When the female walrus protects her offspring, I am sure that at the time, in her walrusy brain, she thinks she is doing so because of some kind of walrusy "love", or something. However, her natural impulse to protect them also has a perfectly logical genetic basis. You need to go to the next level, beyond immediate conscious choices and ask questions such as "Why does the walrus love her offspring?"

So ... why? I would, honestly, dearly love to see a PET scan and other imagery on a walrus brain experiencing love. I can't tell you how much that would affect my understanding of nature.

In intent, or in result?

Well, what's the difference to you? Either way suits my point.

James R said:

Did you not get the point that the man had been a soybean farmer but had been losing money and going broke. Switching to cattle was the way he saved his farm. Now read before you post.

James R,
Why don't you respond to the points I made, rather than trying to get out by ridiculing them?

Is keeping cattle different from slavery? In what ways is it similar? In what ways is it different? Think.
Is keeping pets different from slavery? In what ways is it similar? In what ways is it different? You think, James R.
James R,
Sounds reasonable to me. Provide them with enough grassland to support themselves, of course. If you're going to claim land as human land only, that wouldn't be fair, would it?
The type of grass and weeds that grow wild are not very nutritious, James R. It would take more land than Bill owns to support the cattle even in the summer. They would starve the first winter. He also provides the cattle with feed other than grasses, mostly grains. Perhaps you could support 1,000 cattle with your high earnings?
James R,
Do you have any pets, 2inquisitive? Are they anything more to you than a financial liability? If not, why do you keep them?
Yes, I have a chinese Shar-Pei named Mai-Ling that lives in my house with me. I love her like a family member, but I certainly couldn't support 999 more like her. Did you know cows eat even more than Shar-Peis, James R.?
James R,
Do you mean to sell? There are no vegetable processing plants nearby. Transporting the vegetables long distances is expensive, the vegetables are bruised and damaged, he doesn't have the necessary equipment or suitable type of land for vegetables. His land is best for planting pastures, soybeans, cotton and corn. Unusual weather patterns in the last few years have made cash crops an hit and miss proposition. Too much rain during the planting season and too little during the summer when the fruiting crops need rain have led to low yields many years. Low yeilds = loss rather than profit. As I mentioned before, that and low prices lead to his descision to make the best use of his land by cattle ranching. Grasses are more tolerant of uneven weather than cash crops. He still plants 700-1000 acres in soybeans, some years he makes money on them, some he doesn't. This past year for instance, his beans were looking great, large dark plants that were thriving. Then ther came a drough just as the plants began to flower, to produce the beans thenselves. The result was beautiful plants with few beans. Bill is no moron, James R. He is a college graduate, with a major in agriculture. His mother teaches at a smaller college. The old stereotype of the hick farmer is not true. Those types lost their farms long ago.

JamesR said:

Perhaps you think that I am primarily concerned about the "gooiness" of killing animals: all that split blood and guts, the cutting up of carcasses, and so on. That sight is ugly, and you think it offends my delicate sensibilities, and that is why I must object to killing animals.

Nope. I wouldn't attibute such puerile thinking to you. And nor, for the record, would Huxley. The "slaughterhouse", as such might well be the shocking images of modern production.

More pertinent is the sympathy of which Huxley writes. Your appeal to sentience is more subtle and complex than a mere visual standard. It is easier to see even a worm on a hook suffer than it is a dying head of lettuce chopped up on my plate.

To address your points:

1. The raw fact of the killing of animals for comsumption by humans.
2. The methods and procedures used to bring about the deaths of the animals.
3. The treatment of the animals slated for meat while they are alive.

(1) Why? It seems to come back to sentience, and that is insufficient for me.
(2) An economic symptom that ought to be corrected. I think I've mentioned that before.
(3) See (2) above.

Think of a cheese puff. Or a Twinkie. Try M&M's. We ate carcinogenic dye, for heaven's sake. The raw fact of some of the chemicals we consider viable food sources is disturbing in itself. Blood and guts? Repugnant for a number of reasons, the most relevant here is its symbolic value in terms of suffering. A man might suffer and die from a gut shot, but the image of a man blown to pieces in an instant strangely incites greater revulsion in most. Prolonged barbarity, such as we see in veal production, is at least a bit unnecessary, but in the case of a free-range hamburger, death is death. Consider the infamous chicken sans head. The thing may twitch and spurt, but the place it registers pain--e.g. the brain--isn't feeling that portion of the suffering.

Perhaps you are confused over the difference between "animal rights" and "animal welfare".

I thank you for the lecture, and will attempt to conform to the lexical standard outlined therein.

Here's a simple one: imagine any situation in which the interests of an animal conflict with the interests of a human being. Whose interests are more important? Who "wins"? If you say "the human is always more important", or "the human's interests triumph in all circumstances", then you don't believe in animal rights. If, on the other hand, you answer "it depends..." then perhaps there's an opening there.

Conveniently, there is a response already on record:

Consider, please: So we build a bunch of houses in some previously-wooded foothills. You and I make cash hand over fist not only from the stunning property values, but also the premiums on the wood we cut down. Six months after the first home sells, or perhaps precisely as we toast the four-hundreth home sale, a mother of two is attacked by a coyote while jogging early Thursday morning. The animal is located, cornered, and shot to death by the local authority. Considering that we humans chose to build in the coyote's habitat, is it really moral to kill a bitch for defending her litter?

And what would we, the developers, say of the coyotes? "F@ck 'em."

I find it rather distasteful, but there is a fair argument on behalf of species. There's also a fair argument on behalf of natural selection to explain the lost jogger.
(#1034659)​

Although I understand the passing of time and sympathize with trying to respond to longer posts, I do notice that you passed over this without comment. We have the means to transplant the coyote to a better environment; barring extreme circumstances, killing the creature seems more one of those things that makes humans feel better. Nothing lifts a human spirit like vengeance, or so it sometimes seems.

My argument in this thread takes an animal rights approach. I object to the arbitrary killing of animals for human consumption not on the basis that I find the practice "distasteful" because it is ugly, but because I regard it as a fundamental imposition on and infringement of basic rights which all humans have and which non-human animals ought also to have, unless a compelling ethical reason can be given that those rights should not be respected.

Why ought all animals also have those same basic rights? And what are those rights? Human rights include a number of standards the animal world renders difficult. Admittedly, a person screwing a horse is pretty clear an issue, but have you ever seen housecats have sex? Or watched ... is it babboons? ... sexually molest young, nonviable females?

And I might point out that the killing of the bacon-cheeseburger I ate today was anything but arbitrary. Sport hunting seems arbitrary, but the slaughter of that cow qualifies as systematic. People have reasons for eating anmals, you know. That you disagree with those reasons hardly makes them arbitrary.

I might also point out how much you've invested in the ugliness of suffering in your argument.

And, if I might offer some unsolicited commentary re: slavery, You don't eat your slaves. We come back to economics. Whether it's the economics of the primitive savannah or the modern city, economy ultimately claims the role of moral arbiter in human affairs. It would be rather a strange and dire situation if we ate our slaves.

Hapsburg:

A person would die if they didn't get enough calcium, calories, and proteins from meat and dairy products.

You can get calcium and protein from sources other than meat and dairy products.

Enough said.

Back