IQ and Religious Beliefs

i don't think the IQ is related to the relegion beleifs, well maybe, if it full of bullshit, idk

as for me
IQ is 120: high average intelligence
relegion: islam
uuuh
hehehehhe, that's my hall informations, lol
so, i mean, i'm a theist, and a realistic science fan, many things used to be wondering about in islam, not understanting it; but in fact, as more as i know more in science, as more i beleive more in it.
that's for me.
i'm a science fan, a realistic person, and i'm a beleiver.

The brain incorporates mis-appraisal into it's mindset as easily (and religiously) as it incorporates truth.
It is the brains level of ability to analyze from past experience/data, and to store CONCRETE axioms for future appraisal efforts, which distinguishes one brain from another? One GROUP of brains from another?

The brain incorporates mis-appraisal into it's mindset as easily (and religiously) as it incorporates truth.
It is the brains level of ability to analyze from past experience/data, and to store CONCRETE axioms for future appraisal efforts, which distinguishes one brain from another? One GROUP of brains from another?

Question:
Could "mis-appraised information", stored in the brain for a length of time, throw off the metabolic state of the body, thereby causing illness to the body?
Let's review this statistically:

pewforum.org/How-Religious-Is-Your-State-.aspx

Here we see examples of religious (Belief/Attendance/Frequency of prayer) devout groups, seemingly to be situated (U.S. sample only) in the deep Southern States--where one finds correlation of greater major affliction/per capita also --see List of Detailed Tables/Table 29--"Number of deaths, death rates, and age-adjusted death rates for major causes of death: United States, each state..." (page 101):

(www).cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr57/nvsr57_14.pdf

Such a correlation might be coincidental, and further study would be in order, including other possible "mis-appraisal brain groups" (example: unscientifically derived crank postulates, "devoted" to their beliefs, without substantial evidence of those beliefs?).

Can you please prove then that the cure to leprosy was discovered by an atheist?
well i wouldnt call these ppl atheists, just ppl who questioned the cause of the disease. i would assume if you are cursed by GOD then ther would be no cure, so therefore there was ppl who thought it wasnt a god given disease. cures back then was blood of virgins, lamb's blood, arsenic and castration to list a few. thats why i started my last post with "in my opinion" or my view on it.

I won't take sides on this; I can't say that intelligent people aren't religious, but intelligent people do look closer at religion before choosing. I have always had a decent IQ and find myself to be a UU and new age person with beliefs from varying systems. So as long as you don't choose blindly, it really doesn't matter.

there's a difference between intelligence and enlightenment. you don't necessarily have to have a high IQ to be enlightened. actually, if you're egotistically or emotionally attached to your own intelligence, that could be a hindrance to enlightenment.

There have been very strong correlations made between a human's religious beliefs and their IQ. Several studies have shown that the higher the IQ, the more a person will question religious beliefs. I belong to several high IQ societies and there are a great number of members who are either agnostic or atheist. There are, however, a number of them who are very religious. It makes me wonder if their discovery of their high IQ came later in life, in which they had already been well indoctrinated into religion? Could the time at which someone discovers their IQ score correlate with their religious belief?

I think you're more likely to find a correlation between people who desire to be associated with a high IQ society and non-orthodox or non-existent religious beliefs. Those who are religious gain community through organizations. Those who are not, don't have a wide-spread institution for community.

Conscious religion is not indoctrination, it's largely a choice. It's the choice to view the world through a particular filter. Whatever the modern trend an atheist associates with is his filter.

I've no desire to be in a high-IQ society and even less desire to pay dues. In fact I've always thought MENSA membership to be associated with poor character, and I have similar feelings towards most of the societies. It's a bit of elitism bolstering a false sense of self-worth not becoming to anyone whose core principals stress a humbled life.

I think it's obvious that people with higher intelligence tend to look deeper into religion rather then blindly following it. The REALLY smart guys invent their own religion and make millions (L Ron Hubbard).

I'm as outspoken an atheist as anyone on this website. But even I acknowledge that the vast majority of people throughout history have been religious, and they have racked up some very impressive achievements that indicate very high intelligence.

If it were up to the irreligious to accomplish all the important things, the world would be in a lot of trouble because there aren't enough of us to do it all.

If it were up to the irreligious to accomplish all the important things, the world would be in a lot of trouble because there aren't enough of us to do it all.

True, plus religion can be a motivating factor, though not everyone has or needs that. Whether popular or not, beliefs can get things done if used properly.

They can also cause a lot of issue if used for power over others.:soapbox:

Unitarian Universalism is a decent religion- ideally it accepts all faiths and holds inter-faith services. Personally I think it's a bit too vague a religion to consider myself a part of... they have no solid roots.

I'm not about to list an IQ as any form of evidence of intellect for my opinion. I know I'm intelligent and graduated 2a years early from high school only for the fact of lack of interest in the provided subjects. I've tested with several colleges and ranked higher then most of their graduates. But the few exceptions of close friends I've learned to keep my smart a shut. I'm also very religious and know of many others who are the same. I have also encountered a certain stigma in society against intelligence and religion. One friend who is in active studies refuses to admit to those he does not know that he believes in any form of higher being. With such fears present how can one truly expect any research into this topic to produce clear and honest results?

The smartest man I know of was Thomas Jefferson, who "had a unique view of God". He took the New Testament and took all the miracles out of it; he owned an early copy of the Qu'ran... he was a deeply spiritual yet open-minded man.

There are very intelligent people in all faiths (anthropically, if there wouldn't, that faith would have no base), so you can't generalize.

For example, you can be a highly intellectual Catholic who is true to the scriptures yet has an open mind to the Cosmos. And let's not forget early Muslims and their penchant for higher maths. (Can't say much for Mormonism and Scientology... those are pseudo-religions.)

Science does from time to time get in the way of religion, but it's more a matter of the faiths expanding their horizons then the science being wrong (the Big Bang is consistent to all 3 major religions.)

To argue the OP, I can't think of one famous athiest scientist. I personally believe that science is the pursuit of God. Every step we come closer to a science is one more veil pulled back with reality behind it... as we evolve mentally, our God becomes more (and less) mysterious.

Here's some United States domestic data on percentage of college graduates by religious tradition. Whether or not somebody has graduated from college isn't the same variable as intelligence, but they are probably correlated to some extent. The numbers are from p.16 of the full pdf version of the ARIS 2008 survey.

http://www.americanreligionsurvey-aris.org/reports/highlights.html

In 2008, 27% of the American over-age-25 population were college/university graduates.

Here are some figures for some of the religious traditions, from lowest to highest, with comments by me...

13% Pentecostal/Chrismatic - My impression is that many of these people are drawn from poorer socio-economic groups, especially in the rural South. The wealth variable seems to have a significant correlation with univerity graduation rates. While these people are less likely to have graduated from college, I'd guess that they are above average in their familiarity with the Bible.

16% Baptist - Observations as above, but a little less extreme. This is another group that's apt to emphasize Bible study and it's these groups that we typically find populating the Bible colleges.

25% Roman Catholic - This is close to the national average, as one might expect for a religious grouping this large. (25% of the US adult population self-identify as Catholics.) My impression is that there's lots of variation in this group, ranging from recent arrivals from Mexico with very low education levels, to established Irish and Italian Catholics who probably resemble the Mainline Protestants and come in significantly above the national average.

26% 'Christian generic' - This is one of the fastest growing segments. It consists of people who tell pollsters that they are Christians, but don't belong to any formal denomination. They probably represent a pretty broad spectrum, ranging from fundamentalist members of independent store-front churches to a huge number of secularized people who never attend church but still think of themselves as 'Christian', if only for vague cultural reasons.

27% National Average

31% 'Nones' - These are the people who tell pollsters that they don't have any religious identification.

35% Mainline Protestant - These are the Episcopalians, Methodists, Presbyterians and similar groups like the Lutherans. These are mostly the historical Northern European established churches and these people represent the old-stock Anglo settler population, some of them with roots dating back to Revolutionary War times. They tend to be middle class or above, financially. These churches have been shrinking, loosing adherents at the low-end to the Baptist and similar groups, and on the high-end to the Nones.

57% Jewish - This smaller group has traditionally emphasized Torah and Talmudic study as a religious duty. So study is part of their culture and when the Jews became secularized, that broadened out to higher education in general.

59% Eastern Religions - This is another small group and its largest component is the country's million plus Buddhists. These are divided between Asian immigrant populations and white American converts. The Asians resemble the Jews in their emphasis on pushing their kids into higher education, while the converts are typically college educated. Another thing we've been seeing is many young Asian students coming to the US to study in our universities, then staying here when they graduate and not returning home.

Back