In regards to atheism.

Correct, something that exists just for you should be considered a delusion.

Again, it is a perception. It's not that God isn't, for you. But you accept that God isn't. You accept that for God to exist, there must be external evidence. That in and of itself, is a denial.

Jan.

It is amusing, IMO, in a sad sort of way, that most of the so-called scientists here who are arguing that there is no evidence for God (atheism, +/-) are more than willing to accept that 'everything' came from 'nothing'. Where is the observable (not hypothetical or theoretical) evidence for "everything came from nothing"?

Sometimes I think they will accept any old explanation, so they can keep God out of the picture.

Jan.

And the thread ended (it is now ended right?) with no resolution correct?

It's not ended until it's ended.
The resolution is that atheists are without God.

How many requests made for evidence were answered by you don't understand or words to that effect?

That's not the effect.
That you ask for external evidence for God's existence (as if He exists like potatoes and pencil sharpners ), and stick to it, as though that is the God that theists accept, shows you currently have no idea of God. It shows that you are without God.

Jan.

It is amusing, IMO, in a sad sort of way, that most of the so-called scientists here who are arguing that there is no evidence for God (atheism, +/-) are more than willing to accept that 'everything' came from 'nothing'. Where is the observable (not hypothetical or theoretical) evidence for "everything came from nothing"?

I would contend that observable Physics of the Universe make the proposition that the Universe come into existence from Physics

more plausible than

some super-duper know-it-all entity

who happens to look like us

who has existed forever decided

in a brain snap moment

to create the Universe and

a bunch of minions to worship him

etc etc etc

:)

We will all be killed, one way or another.
That's not the issue. How we live the life we are given, is.

You read the quote, figure it out if you care to.
I can't read, hence, God kills me?

What if I live my life, as an agnostic, more morale than you?

You accept that for God to exist, there must be external evidence. That in and of itself, is a denial.
Riddle me this...

If my understanding is correct, external evidence equals any discernible, objective effect(s) to/on the physical universe, right?

Then either:

1.) God does not exist...

or

2.) God exists and there is, in fact, external evidence...

or

3.) God exists and there is, in fact, zero external evidence - therefore, it makes exactly zero difference whether God exists or not.

As in zero difference to you, zero difference to me and zero difference to the universe at large.

If you decide to go with option #2 please cite your external, objective evidence. Note that logically there is no option 4.

Glad we cleared that up...

Couple of flaws here.

1. Who exactly, here, thinks that 'everything came from nothing'? Anyone? Or is this just an invented target? A straw man? I don't see how it bears on any contributor in this discussion.

2. But let's suppose someone in this thread were to think there's truth to the SfN model. I seriously doubt you will find them asserting that stance. It is a plausible model, sure, but, as rational people we don't go around saying we "know" it's true - for the very reason you invoke - because we don't have compelling evidence. See how nicely that works? We can't be sure, but we can move forward with it as a working model, knowing it makes untestable assumptions - and will be modified as we learn more about our universe. If Jan were as rational about God as rational people are about Big Bang pre-history, we would all be generally in agreement, and this thread would have never existed.

3. Finally, the invocation of God does not solve the problem you pose. If God created the universe, then it simply pushed back the question as to how God was created. 'God always existed' you say? Great. If we suppose that things can have 'always existed', then we can just as easily say the universe 'always existed' (even if in a different form than this one).

Your argument commits what is known as the Homunculus fallacy – where a "middle-man" is used for explanation, this sometimes leads to regressive middle-men. Explains without actually explaining the real nature of a function or a process. Instead, it explains the concept in terms of the concept itself, without first defining or explaining the original concept.

You accept that for God to exist, there must be external evidence. That in and of itself, is a denial.
The same logic can be applied to any invention of the imagination.

What is the criteria that differentiates God existing without external evidence from Cosmic Unicorns existing without external evidence?
You can put any imaginary object in there at all, and it is as valid and as unfalsifiable as any other.

Thus, it simply comes down to which one you believe. And that's arbitrary.

But let's suppose someone in this thread were to think there's truth to the SfN model.
Sir, please sir, me sir!
I'm currently reading every book of Stenger's that I can get hold of and I'm coming round to his view. (AFAIK he was [at least one of] the original proposer(s).

I seriously doubt you will find them asserting that stance. It is a plausible model
Quite correct: it's a valid natural explanation that relies only on what we already know.
Not even he says "That's how it happened" but rather "Since it could have happened this way there's no need to invoke "god" (of which we know absolutely nothing) as the "explanation"".

Last edited:
It's not that God isn't, for you. But you accept that God isn't. You accept that for God to exist, there must be external evidence. That in and of itself, is a denial.
This isn't the position of the agnostic atheist, though.
Their position that is simply that in order to believe that God does exist, there should be some evidence.
In the absence of such evidence they do not conclude that God does not exist, only that they don't hold the belief that God does exist.
It's a (not so subtle) difference that you continually seem to miss.

Ah, still using "IMO" to absolve you from ever having to support what you state, I see.
FYI - putting the letters in capitals and bolding them doesn't replace the need for you to support your claims.

As to your point, most scientists don't generally believe categorically and 100% that "everything came from nothing".
Those that do also seem to have a rather specific notion of "nothing".
Some certainly accept it as the most rational explanation that they are aware of, based on the evidence that we have.
But they are willing to change their position as and when evidence to the contrary is presented.
Therein lies the difference.

That you ask for external evidence for God's existence (as if He exists like potatoes and pencil sharpners ), and stick to it, as though that is the God that theists accept, shows you currently have no idea of God. It shows that you are without God.
There is no such thing as internal evidence as it applies to anything but your own thought processes or the nature of your own consciousness. What's happened is that theists, having exhausted all other alternatives, are left with justifications for their belief that rely on untestable claims or special pleading. It wasn't always this way, it was a process of winnowing down. We call it the god of the gaps.

Couple of flaws here.

1. Who exactly, here, thinks that 'everything came from nothing'? Anyone? Or is this just an invented target? A straw man? I don't see how it bears on any contributor in this discussion.

2. But let's suppose someone in this thread were to think there's truth to the SfN model. I seriously doubt you will find them asserting that stance. It is a plausible model, sure, but, as rational people we don't go around saying we "know" it's true - for the very reason you invoke - because we don't have compelling evidence. See how nicely that works? We can't be sure, but we can move forward with it as a working model, knowing it makes untestable assumptions - and will be modified as we learn more about our universe. If Jan were as rational about God as rational people are about Big Bang pre-history, we would all be generally in agreement, and this thread would have never existed.

3. Finally, the invocation of God does not solve the problem you pose. If God created the universe, then it simply pushed back the question as to how God was created. 'God always existed' you say? Great. If we suppose that things can have 'always existed', then we can just as easily say the universe 'always existed' (even if in a different form than this one).

Your argument commits what is known as the Homunculus fallacy – where a "middle-man" is used for explanation, this sometimes leads to regressive middle-men. Explains without actually explaining the real nature of a function or a process. Instead, it explains the concept in terms of the concept itself, without first defining or explaining the original concept.
Questions: Dave, IYO, where DID everything come from? IMO, Everything is NOT "invented". And Dave, what exactly, IYO, was the physical (as in physics) condition of Big Bang pre-history that rational people are in agreement about?

You simply have to digest some of the thread/subfora discussions on Sciforums - over a considerable duration of Sciforums history - regarding e.g., "how can something come from nothing" and related threads to recognize the arguments made. No strawman or homunculus fallacy intended or inferred by my post, but I can see how you might argue such in lieu of the observable evidence that I queried.

BTW: "Pushing back the question . . . ." is what scientific investigation/enquiry is all about.

Ah, still using "IMO" to absolve you from ever having to support what you state, I see.
FYI - putting the letters in capitals and bolding them doesn't replace the need for you to support your claims.

As to your point, most scientists don't generally believe categorically and 100% that "everything came from nothing".
Those that do also seem to have a rather specific notion of "nothing".
Some certainly accept it as the most rational explanation that they are aware of, based on the evidence that we have.
But they are willing to change their position as and when evidence to the contrary is presented.
Therein lies the difference.
LMAO!!

It is amusing, IMO, in a sad sort of way, that most of the so-called scientists here

I'm certainly not a scientist, though I do have some undergraduate background in biology. I'm more of a philosopher by training.

who are arguing that there is no evidence for God (atheism, +/-) are more than willing to accept that 'everything' came from 'nothing'.

Not me. See my remarks in this thread, starting with post #12.

http://sciforums.com/threads/a-universe-from-nothing-not-that-hard-to-understand.158811/

I think that the metaphysical question might better be put as: Why is there something rather than nothing? That's asking why reality exists at all, it isn't necessarily a claim that something came from nothing.

The question isn't even really a question about origins. That's because reality might conceivably be eternal, extending infinitely into the past, without any initial origin event. But even in such a universe we could still ask why there is an eternal reality instead of nothing at all.

There are five known phases, or states, of matter:

solids,

liquids,

gases,

plasma and

Bose-Einstein condensates

http://www.livescience.com/46506-states-of-matter.html

That's two up from which I started school

I understand that POTATOES and PENCIL sharpeners fit into one one of those groups of matter

But wait we have another form

Not sure in fact VERY unsure if IT is matter

but IT has been COMPARED against POTATOES and PENCIL sharpeners

so they either have SIMILAR or DISSIMILAR characteristics

This new (in fact IF this form of matter exist it is incredibly ANCIENT)

Its called god matter

I doubt god matter has SIMILAR
characteristics

Have not seen people worshipping potatoes at the altar of the pencil sharpener

Which leaves us with DISSIMILAR characteristics

If only we had someone to ask what those DISSIMILAR characteristics are

Any volunteers?

:)

Last edited:
3.) God exists and there is, in fact, zero external evidence - therefore, it makes exactly zero difference whether God exists or not.

As in zero difference to you, zero difference to me and zero difference to the universe at large.

Sort of agree

It makes zero difference to all your listing

However he could still exist

Just in hiding bored and not bothered

It is true

zero difference to us and the Universe

has the effect of may as well not exist

Does not matter if

does not exist

equates with

may as well not exist

Except if he wakes up :)