In Defense of Religion

Kadark

Banned
Banned
In Defense of Religion​

This thread is an offshoot from Norsefire’s Social Advantages and Disadvantages of Religion. I read Fraggle Rocker’s post (which was intended as a response to Norsefire), and decided to form a reply, although mid-way I noticed it was getting slightly off-topic. Although I’m quoting Fraggle Rocker in this post, everybody is free to comment. I noticed Norsefire’s thread was becoming unfairly critical of religion, led by Fraggle Rocker’s typical anti-religious sentiments, so I decided to start a new thread combating the irreligious arguments.

Fraggle Rocker,

But many of us assert that its disadvantages far outweigh its advantages. And ever more so as civilization advances.

Those who assert such balderdash are of the atheistic-materialism creed. For you to state with such aggravating certainty that religion is a hindrance rather than a necessity speaks volumes about your credibility, Fraggle Rocker. Atheistic-materialistic mindsets always lead to totalitarian dictatorships: ideologies such as Nazism, Marxism, Communism, Bolshevism, Maoism, Darwinism, etc., can only arise from atheism and the strict belief in nothing other than testable “matter“. The concept of civilization is non-existent without religion, for both past and present times. Don’t you realize that religion was one of the prime factors in making civilizations develop and flourish worldwide? Archaeological evidence shows that many early religions supported the practice of marriage, encouraged the stability of the family, laid down rules (or laws) for raising children and caring for the aged, and established the way the dead should be respected. In short, religions helped build civilization. Why should this phenomena change as civilization advances? There is no logical argument for that viewpoint. Rationally speaking, abandoning religion should make civilization regress until it fails to exist.

But at the same time it exacerbates the differences between peoples.

It certainly does not! Religion is universal, and it establishes understood morals and values within a given society. People of all backgrounds, regardless of their inherent differences, live their lives by these sacred testaments and traditions. Religion unites people under a commonly shared belief, and encourages charity to assist the less fortunate. How many atheistic-based charities do you know of? Absolutely none. Religion preaches unity and oneness, but also allows for uniqueness within the individuals as well, which is vital for scientific, mathematical, and literary progression. Religion preaches that nobody is superior to another, and that everybody is to be held equally accountable for their actions, as ordained by God. Do these qualities of religion seem as if they exacerbate the differences between people? Of course not.

European culture stagnated during the millennium of ignorance and squalor when the Christian church had undisputed control over that culture, so I'm not going to agree with you on this point.

European culture did not stagnate as a result of the Christian church’s power; rather, the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of the corrupting influence of Pagan-Jewish merchants and money-lenders. Actually, Edward Gibbon dealt with such merchants and money-lenders in some of his historic works, crediting them with contributing greatly to the decline and subsequent fall of the Roman Empire. Once Pagan-Jewish predominance in Europe was established, the “Dark Ages” began. The Encyclopaedia Britannica says this on the subject: “There was an inevitable tendency for them (Pagan-Jewish merchants and money-lenders) to specialize in commerce for which their acumen, and ubiquity, gave them special qualifications. In the Dark Ages the commerce of Western Europe was largely in their hands, in particular, the Slave Trade.” It’s no coincidence, either. Sure, the rise of Christendom’s “power” just so happened to coincide with such events, but in no way can it (Christianity) be blamed as the “cause“. Also, I say “Pagan-Jews” because it is dishonest and unfair to call the aforementioned merchants and money-lenders “Jews”, considering they truly weren’t “Jews” in belief. Most of them were either pagans (especially through historical origin) or simply irreligious.

Again, the experiment we call the Dark Ages contradicts your hypothesis. Western culture as we know it could only have arisen after the Enlightenment, when we began to throw off the chains of religion.

Utter nonsense. The Renaissance didn’t take place due to European societies eschewing religion; it took place only after the Western European nations wrestled economic control away from the Pagan-Jewish money-lenders and merchants. It’s interesting to note that the Renaissance began during the same era in which European countries collectively began banishing and expelling Jews from their lands. England expelled the Jews in 1290; France in 1306; Saxony in 1348; Hungary in 1360; Belgium in 1370; Slovakia in 1380; Austria in 1420; the Netherlands in 1444; Spain in 1492; Lithuania in 1496; Portugal in 1498; Italy in 1540; Bavaria in 1551. Notice how during this era of Jewish banishment, the Renaissance began? It began because the European Christians slowly regained control of their own commerce. The Jewish “Dark Age“, according to many historians, is said to have begun during the Renaissance. Coincidence? Highly unlikely.

The current state of affairs in the Muslim world corroborates this evidence, since Islam has the same stranglehold on the culture of many of its people's nations as Christianity did 700 years ago.

Stick to linguistics, Fraggle, because you seemingly have no knowledge in the department of the Muslim world. The Muslim world was at its indisputable height when it was united under Islam, often referred to as its Golden Age. The Golden Age happened during the Caliphate, which was an era when the Muslim world practiced Islam at its most genuine and accurate form. The Ottomans, who usurped control over the Muslim world, practiced many of the same culturally-binding techniques as the Caliphate, and were successful in maintaining a strong, Islamic-oriented Empire for the mind-blowing span of over six centuries. What led to the Muslim world’s condition today, you ask? There are a lot of different answers to that question, although I can assure you that “religion” is not one of them. If you ask me, the Ottoman Empire’s collapse was the single worst event to have ever happened to the Muslim world. However, the Ottoman Empire did not collapse due to Sunni-Shi’ite strife, as you imply; in fact, the Sunnis and Shi’ites managed to finally get along, in one way or another, after the Ottoman-Safavid wars. Both the Ottoman Sunni Empire and the Persian Safavid Shi’ite Empire were considerably strong, combining to make a Middle Eastern superpower. Despite denominations in Islam, the Middle East was still a formidable entity. However, the Ottomans, like all Empires, witnessed a decline and subsequently a collapse. The decline was due in large part to money-lending. During the end of the 18th century, the Ottomans committed the unforgivable sin of borrowing much-needed money (mainly due to the Russo-Turkish wars) from Pagan-Jewish money-lenders practicing usury in Europe. After these events took place, the Ottomans failed to pay their debts back sufficiently, pushing them to their breaking point whilst various European nations ogled their vulnerable territory. Attempting to place the final nail in the Ottoman Empire’s coffin, Pan-Arabists such as Sharif Husayn bin Ali, financed and armed by the British, waged wars against what remained of the Ottoman Empire. From that point on, much of the Middle East embraced the backward ideology of “Pan-Arabism” (significant figures include Gamal Abdel Nasser, Saddam Hussein, Ahmed Ben Bella, etc.), and ignored Islam. Secular parties began gaining prominence, such as Iran’s Shah dictatorship, Turkey’s Kemalists, and Iraq’s Ba’athists. The newly-formed Turkish Republic adopted “Pan-Turkism” as its national ideology as well, removing all religious influence from its constitution, replacing it instead with transparent concepts of secularism. Ataturk, an atheist, ensured the survival of Turkey's secularism with an ingenious idea, aware that knowledgeable Turks would eventually attempt to incorporate Islam into the Republican yet again. Countering this inevitability, Ataturk gave the military the right to intervene with the government's affairs when it saw fit, forcibly removing leaders posing a threat to the nation's secularism. This led to a trio of irreligious ideologies - Pan-Arabism, Pan-Turkism, and Pan-Iranism - which competed for power throughout the Middle East (these three ideologies are still in conflict today, and are still active in dividing the Muslim world through ethnicity and nationality). I could discuss the efforts of the PLO, King Faisal of Saudi Arabia, General Abdul Karim Qasim, etc., explaining how they fought and died against the ostracization of religion in the Muslim world, but this paragraph is getting long enough as it is. After reading such information, Fraggle, how can you insist on blaming Islam for the Muslim world’s current affairs? Ignoring Islam is what caused the effects we witness in the Middle East today. Under Islam’s guidance, the Middle East - rather, the Muslim world - was virtually untouchable by any foreign entity.

People within a religionist community tend to conformity and thus display a great similarity. Atheists can happily differ enormously from one another without it bothering us.

What is wrong with conformity, pray tell? Conformity to God’s laws and the Prophets’ teachings by the masses is a scintillating sight. Religious people certainly do differ greatly, contrary to what you say, and hold conflicting opinions with regard to a plethora of issues; however, their differences don’t undermine their religious unity whatsoever. You claim atheists can “happily differ“, although history proves such an assertion to be miserably false. Atheists conform, just like everybody else in the world. The difference? Atheists conform to men and manmade ideologies. According to many atheistic groups in the past, the State must be supreme. This being so, the Head of the State is to be “God” on Earth. This belief brings into actual practice the deification of man. History has shown that atheists enjoy and partake in conformity just as routinely as their religious counterparts. Logically, the only difference is the idea or entity they conform to: religious people to God and His laws, atheists to man and material.

There's something about evangelical, patriarchal monotheism that brings out the darkest tendencies in humans, that causes them to erupt in paroxysms of genocide every few generations.

Enormously unsubstantiated speculations! Care to be more specific? Religious people don’t declare wars to force their beliefs unto others; instead, wars are declared to win leaders resources, wealth, and manpower.

Monotheism appears to work as a straitjacket on the human spirit. I don't see that the polytheistic religious communities have such a history of faith-based intolerance.

This is a downright laughable statement, Fraggle Rocker. Monotheism is anything but a straitjacket on the human spirit; instead, individuals influenced by monotheism have accomplished the greatest feats throughout history. Look at Michael Hart’s list of the top one-hundred influential people in history, for example: atheism and polytheistic religions are triumphed by monotheism in terms of accomplishments. Was monotheism a straitjacket on the spirit of Muhammad? Of Jesus? Of Abraham? Of Moses? Of Sir Isaac Newton? Of Pasteur? Of Galileo? Of Constantine? Of Michelangelo? Of Martin Luther King Jr? These are some of the most influential and successful people to have ever walked the Earth. Their accomplishments and discoveries are revered to this very day. Do you think that believing in a single God made these people “spiritless”? Consider the fact that these men constitute a very low percentage, in the grand scheme of things, of the full list of accomplished monotheists. Where, in turn, is the atheist’s history of tolerance and success? Which names of atheism have been preserved long enough to be discussed today? Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tong, Karl Marx, Vladimir Lenin, Leon Trotsky, etc. These men, free from the “shackles” of monotheism, have shown glimpses of tolerance, you say? I don’t think so. Instead, these were some of the worst mass-murderers, genocide causers, and infamous revolutionaries in history. Their spirits were free, according to you, Fraggle. But then again, all atheists have free spirits, do they not? Yes, but what has it accomplished? Where are the bounteous scientific advancements? Where are the charitable leaders? Where are the benevolent empires? Where are the civil rights leaders? If a “free spirit” amounts to virtually no contribution or success in any of these categories, then I prefer the straitjacket.

If history is any indicator, there is no straitjacket fiercer in grip than atheism.

Kadark the Empire

Last edited:
I used to think religion had a beneficial side but I've come to realize that without religion the world wouldn't be much different. I think everything that's been credited to religion would have happened anyway.

I don't care about the atheist movement or any group or groups that perpetuate the usually present animosity between the two factions. Both sides have their malcontents and fanatics. Personally I see any religion as a man made construct, no different than anything a malevolent despot or dictator can conjure up. Religion has had its fair share of crackpots and genocidal maniacs, many who claimed to be doing God's work.

Most people here know where I stand. You can choose God but don't waste time trying to explain Him, His expectations or His philosophy. Religion is a natural byproduct of minds unable to cope with or understand the real world, tantamount to a refusal to accept things as they are sans religion.

How many atheistic-based charities do you know of? Absolutely none.
There are plenty of secular charities. The Red Cross, UNICEF, Amnesty International ect.

What's more impressive is that these people do it because they are moral. They aren't motivated by fear of eternal burning or trying to buy their way into some paradise in the clouds.

There are plenty of secular charities. The Red Cross, UNICEF, Amnesty International ect.

What's more impressive is that these people do it because they are moral. They aren't motivated by fear of eternal burning or trying to buy their way into some paradise in the clouds.

He did not ask secular, he asked atheist.

In the context of that paragraph I cut it from (there is so much wrong with his entire post but I don't have the time) it appears that he is talking about non-religious charities. In defense of religion, he is trying to make the point that it is religion which encourages charity.

I would rather live in Stockholm than Jerusalem, Amsterdam than Alabama, Tokyo than Riyadh.

If religion is such a social advantage, you'd think I wouldn't want to live in these typically unreligious places.

In the context of that paragraph I cut it from (there is so much wrong with his entire post but I don't have the time) it appears that he is talking about non-religious charities. In defense of religion, he is trying to make the point that it is religion which encourages charity.

Yeah, and as an atheist who considers absence of evidence as evidence of absence, you should agree with him. After all atheism has no such philosophy, all religions do.

The concept of civilization is non-existent without religion, for both past and present times. Don’t you realize that religion was one of the prime factors in making civilizations develop and flourish worldwide?

Correlation does not equal causation.

It certainly does not! Religion is universal, and it establishes understood morals and values within a given society.

... and excludes all other societies that don't follow exactly the same tenets.

Religion unites people under a commonly shared belief, and encourages charity to assist the less fortunate.

... except members of other religions and "infidels" who dare not to believe.

How many atheistic-based charities do you know of? Absolutely none.

There are hundreds of non-religiously-affiliated charities.

Religion preaches that nobody is superior to another, and that everybody is to be held equally accountable for their actions, as ordained by God.

Religions almost invariably preach that members of the religion are superior to non-members - e.g. the idea of a "chosen people" is commonplace. They predict a future of suffering and hell for non-believers, and a future in paradise for believers. Some require the persecution of non-believers unless they accept the One True Religion.

What is wrong with conformity, pray tell? Conformity to God’s laws and the Prophets’ teachings by the masses is a scintillating sight. Religious people certainly do differ greatly, contrary to what you say, and hold conflicting opinions with regard to a plethora of issues; however, their differences don’t undermine their religious unity whatsoever.

Except where evil money-lending Jews are concerned, obviously.

There's something about evangelical, patriarchal monotheism that brings out the darkest tendencies in humans, that causes them to erupt in paroxysms of genocide every few generations.

Enormously unsubstantiated speculations! Care to be more specific? Religious people don’t declare wars to force their beliefs unto others; instead, wars are declared to win leaders resources, wealth, and manpower.

Remember the persecution of the evil money-lending Jews in World War II? 6 million dead. Hitler's regime, by the way, claimed to be Christian.

Was monotheism a straitjacket on the spirit of Muhammad? Of Jesus? Of Abraham? Of Moses?

Absolutely. None of these people considered any alternative.

Of Sir Isaac Newton?

Newton wasted years of his life writing nonsense on the interpretation of the bible, when he could have been advancing the world even more in physics.

Of Galileo?

Galileo was persecuted by the Church for daring to suggest that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

Where, in turn, is the atheist’s history of tolerance and success?

Most of the great enlightenment thinkers were atheists, or at least deists (which for most intents and purposes amounts to the same thing).

Which names of atheism have been preserved long enough to be discussed today?

Google "enlightenment".

Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tong, Karl Marx, Vladimir Lenin, Leon Trotsky, etc. These men, free from the “shackles” of monotheism, have shown glimpses of tolerance, you say?

Some of them, yes. Others, no. None of them carried out evil acts in the name of atheism.

But then again, all atheists have free spirits, do they not?

Atheists don't believe in spirits.

Yes, but what has it accomplished? Where are the bounteous scientific advancements? Where are the charitable leaders? Where are the benevolent empires? Where are the civil rights leaders?

Most of modern western civilisation is built upon secular ideas first advanced by enlightenment thinkers. For more about achievements in science, charity and government, google "enlightenment".

Happy reading!

As does violence, drug use, rape. Following your simplistic logic we should assume that religion causes them as well.

Does religion have a philosophy that advocates violence, drug use or rape? Following your philosophy, one would assume atheists should excel at them. ;)

Have you read the bibile? It would certainly appear so.

Yeah, Jesus is famous among Christians for his violence, unlike atheists, who are mostly flower children.
Oh wait, atheists have a natural propensity for violence and a tendency towards the formation of totalitarian societies. Right? :rolleyes:

Yeah, Jesus is famous among Christians for his violence,
You are welcome to pretend that the nasty parts of the bible don't exist. You would be deluding yourself though.

unlike atheists, who are mostly flower children.
Oh wait, atheists have a natural propensity for violence and a tendency towards the formation of totalitarian societies. Right? :rolleyes:
Yes that's clearly an atheist tendancy because they are the only ones who have ever behaved that way.

So back on topic, you don't think the secular charities are truly non religious? Do you think religion can take the credit when atheists do good?

Could you prove that those behind the religious based charities were actually theists?

Anyway some of the largest philanthropists in the world are atheist or agnostic. Is religion is responsible for that?

Or are you going to say that only evil, materialist atheists would be able to manipulate enough people to get that rich? :p

Last edited:
The OP is the best post I've read so far in the last few days. I especially like the
part of the Golden Age. My kind of ideal society.

Society without religion is like a car without break. Religion is a control & safety
system. It puts everything in its place. The opposite, i.e. the one that is ruled
by human lust (sometimes until nauseating level) is a disorder and chaos. One
might not like the taste of medicine, but the function is to cure.

Back